[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ok, since gd is dead as fuck, I want to ask here. how complex

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

ok, since gd is dead as fuck, I want to ask here.

how complex is graphic design?
how long would it take to learn and master?

I'm downloading a bunch of dvds and books from cgpeers but I wonder how long would it take to learn graphic design at some competent level.

I'm sure it would be easier than learning to draw and paint because most of the time is basic abstract works (lines, rectangles, circles) that is basically coded using a basic baby tier language and most of the time you end up using photos and stock images.

For all the shit I have seen, it doesn't seem too complex and most of the stuff is very similar to painting (stuff that I already know).
>>
>>2362101
well /gd/ may have better answers for you

First of all, it isn't art.
>>
>>2362125
>abstract art isn't art
kek tard
>>
>>2362101
>most of the stuff is very similar to painting (stuff that I already know).
what makes you say that
>>
>>2362135
mostly color theory I guess.
>>
>>2362136
also composition plays a big role
>>
>>2362101
Depends on what you want to do with it.

Learning the programs will take a while.(photoshop,illustrator and indesign as starters)
Also if you want to get a job out of it you'll have to learn how make things for diffrent media's.
You have to know what size,DPI and colours to work with.
Sounds simple but many graphic designers neglect it.

As for how long to master it's the same with paint/drawing.
You can get on a professional level in 2 years if you put a lot of effort into it.
>>
>>2362101
well, if you like that picture, you maybe shouldn't start at all
>>
>>2362101
I'm studying a degree in graphic design, it's easy as shit. Lots of typography theory, color theory, composition, and how to use Ps, Ai and Id, but the rest is basically specific additions.
Maybe 2-3 years, here the degree it's 4 years but that is because we spend so much time studying unrelated things (How to build a portfolio, art history, etc)
>>
>>2362295
would you mind to give me a list of topics to google?

Like what would you consider foundamental knowledge every designer should have.

I'm just watching a lynda introduction and the designer keep telling design is simply a matter of layout + colors + typo

how true is that?
>>
>>2362301

Seconding that
>>
>>2362101
>how long would it take to learn
6 months.
>and master?
A lifetime.

Graphic design is not an art, it's a discipline. It's applied visual communication and it's commercial aspect is usually centered around generation visual solutions to a client's messages (marketing, corporative image, etc.)

It really isn't something you get famous or popular for unless you're a prodigy that somehow produced a awestriking ad campaign by himself. Or a gifted instructor. Most of the "graphic design" you see in galleries or for sale in editorials is actually faggot modern artists producing art through /gd/ techniques as Warhol and Lichtenstein did, and for that you still need to know how to paint and draw.

Hell, you need to know how to draw to produce good /gd/, a massive bunch of good /gd/ requires dedicated, fast and concise sketching before you even hit PS.
>>
File: image.jpg (780KB, 1464x1986px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
780KB, 1464x1986px
gd is dead
>>
>>2364668
ye, but it pays the bills
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.