[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/IC/ how to paint with acrylics right? All the time then Im

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: 14523914600721.jpg (72KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
14523914600721.jpg
72KB, 720x480px
/IC/ how to paint with acrylics right?
All the time then Im trying to paint with them I end up with really bad plastic rendering.

Any suggestions on paints, boards/canvases, brushes?
>>
File: 14523914600772.jpg (132KB, 710x960px) Image search: [Google]
14523914600772.jpg
132KB, 710x960px
>>
woah that's nice rendering. gotta try that shit too. can I ask what is your process? simplified version would do.

perhaps you gotta try different style from one of the traditional artists. like monet, cezanne or van gogh.
don't let their medium (usually oil painting) restrict you from trying it out in acrylic style.

for texture, gesso paint can help out and experiment with it. crumpled paper (gotta be wet or dry but should be flattened) can be applied though after using glue and 2 years of latex paint just to make sure it won't fall off.

mixed media shit is full of possibilities.
>>
File: 14523914600650.jpg (134KB, 720x625px) Image search: [Google]
14523914600650.jpg
134KB, 720x625px
>>2353254
This is not mine sudenly.
I just post this for attention and example what I want to achieve.
>>
>>2353256
oh my bad, bro.

oooh, you gotta learn and understand color theory and fundamentals. And plus practice copying that artwork-- in black and white or rather grisaille. Blocky shapes first, then you work around with shapes and values, then you'll get there. It's like creating sculpture in a sense except you're working with painting.

Research and look up the methods of that artist's works. He must have taken inspiration from old masters (traditional artists). Looks like he worked alla prima-style except it's painting from his imagination, impressive.

I think plastic rendering you did is because you mix and blend too much but I can't give proper critique since there's no work from there.

as for canvas, just plain good ol' canvas will do. wood is pretty good but that's like for textured effect though i kinda forgot other purposes.. I guess I ought to refresh my knowledge.

brushes, it depends. what matters is you use your mind, eyes (and heart for mood) properly to create the painting. Also, muscle memory is important.

sorry i ramble alot when it comes to traditional painting since it's my field. sort of.

hope it helps you out.
>>
*can't give proper critique because you didn't post your work so yeah

pardon my grammar crap
>>
DON'T USE ACRYLICS. REALLY. DON'T. EVER.

It's a big misconception that acrylics are a beginners medium and easy to use. They are cheap plastic with unnatural colours and the inability to blend together.
Get yourself some oils and if you don't put the paints or the mediums in your mouth or eyes, you will be fine. It's a wonderful medium for beginners because you can easily push the colors around, erase them and blend them. They should not be much more expensive than acrylics.
>>
>>2353526
By the way, acrylics and gouache are quite similar in some ways, but they're both really hard for beginners. Once you get a hang of oil, buy gouache and then try watercolours.
>>
>>2353526
also if you thin your oils wayyy out with turp or whatever it'll dry about as quickly as acrylic
>>
>>2353250
frank frazzeta would have love that
>>
>>2353231
practice with Corel Painter

digital watercolors behave like acrilics
>>
>>2353526
>>2353530
>They are cheap plastic with unnatural colours
yeah, if you use the cheap craft paint from hobby lobby. artist grade acrylics are made with the same pigments used in oil.
>and the inability to blend together
nonsense. if you really need a long time to blend your colors use a medium.
>They should not be much more expensive than acrylics
lol

>acrylics and gouache are quite similar in some ways
no they are not. the only thing they have in common is the ability to be thinned with water. gouache is not permanent like acrylic is and can be re-worked 10 days, 10 months, and probably even 10 years after it has dried. also acrylic dries darker but gouache dries lighter.

> but they're both really hard for beginners
beginners would be better off with gouache than oil. gouache is much less toxic, easy to clean up, and you can paint anywhere without carrying a bunch of solvents and mediums
>>
>>2353231
Is that teemo?
Nice paintings tho
>>
>>2353526
If you cant paint with any particular media it doesnt mean that its are bad.
>>
>>2353231
Just buy a tablet
>>
>>2353526
don't listen to this guy, he has no idea what he's talking about. I prefer oils, but I personally know (professional) painters who use acrylics and are way better than I am.
>>
>>2353602
That's because they're already good artists.
show me examples of acrylic paintings that wouldn't have looked better if made with oils
>>
File: jimjobe.jpg (269KB, 1158x588px) Image search: [Google]
jimjobe.jpg
269KB, 1158x588px
>>2353857
>>
>>2353887
See, that's actually a good abstract piece; or it would be if it didn't have a shitty, nonexistent composition.
>>
File: toddschorr.jpg (289KB, 961x650px) Image search: [Google]
toddschorr.jpg
289KB, 961x650px
>>2353857
etc
>>
>>2353893
>See, that's actually a good abstract piece
whats your point
good artists make good paintings
bad artists make bad paintings
doesn't matter if it's acrylic or oil
>>
>>2353526
Acrylics are a completely different thing to oils. The texture is different, the blending is different, the way the colors mix is different, the speed they dry is different, the mediums you can apply them on vary and so does their behavior

Really, don't listen to this guy, he has no idea what he's talking about. It's almost the same as a guy saying 'don't draw with charcoal, you can already use pencils instead!'

Also lol at 'inability to blend together'
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.