[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Intuous or Cintiq

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

I've seen so many amazing artists, who by all means could acquire a cintiq, yet they use the Intuous pro?

Why? Why do people seem to find the intuous better than the more expensive cintiq? Should I go buy an intuous as well?

https://youtu.be/DSlgP06hpaw?t=27
>>
>>2351297
People have their reasons. Some hate having their hand in the way. I on the other hand can adapt to either and really feel that drawing directly on screen is most natural.

I have several devices that lets me draw directly on screen, but I want something larger(minus the cintiq price). I'm looking at getting one of the alternatives, Yiynova 22u v3 specifically.
>>
>>2351297
Cintiqs are expensive as shit and if you don't know what you're doing you can end up damaging them mostly via scratches. They also uncomfortable for artists who are use to the textured give from paper. It's super convenient to just draw what the fuck you want straight to the screen.
Intuous (and tablets in general) are portable and cheap. The texture on them take some getting use to but many artist use to paper like it. It takes some Jedi hand/eye coordination when using a tablet.
I think those are the pros and cons I and other folks have ran into.
>>
>>2351297
size matters most

if can't afford the giant cintiq then get an intuos with a large monitor
>>
huion
>>
>>2351297
From what I saw, it depends to how much "tech savy" they are when it comes to their process.

People who use more than 15 shortcuts, and more than 2-3 programs, in their workflow (photobashers, 3D artists, 3D sculptors, basically most CG) tend to prefer intuos because it's much faster. You can obviously use keyboard when using cintiq, but switching from program to program changes how far you want to be from screen and it can become a real hassle when juggling more programs.

People who are more traditional (meaning they draw with their shoulder a lot, and like to see whole thing unzoomed, like product designers, animators, architects) prefer cintiq. Also the hand over the screen is real issue for some people.
>>
Mutliple things
1. cintiqs are absolutely horrible pieces of hardware
2. you get used to working with a non-screen tablet
3. cintiqs are fucking shit
>>
Since this is a seemingly active tablet thread, I'll ask this here: what the hell is it suposed to mean when the Intuos Pen & Touch's expresskey white light (left) is fickering?

Google is not helping.
>>
>>2351297
i have a cintiq 13hd and used to use a bamboo (basically a budget intuous). i sometimes find it a little more comfortable to draw looking up at the screen rather than looking down at the cintiq or having it on an angle which kills my arm after a while. looking up at the screen probably helps a lot with posture
>>
>>2351390
I figured that drawing down might do that. I really want to get back drawing on screen after my x60 tablet went to shit(not dead yet).

I am a person who can adapt to any shit, not really worried about most people complain about. The only reason I might not get the cintiq 13 hd is because I want something larger than what I been working on.

By the way, how is the Cintiq 13? Is it too small? Can I mount it on an arm?
>>
>>2351380

are there any other issues or is it just a flickering light? might just be an issue with light itself or something.
>>
>>2351390

I made that same leap, from the bamboo to cintiq. I was thinking about getting an intuous becuase they all have their pros and cons, but it's like 350 dollars. Could've sworn it was 200 most last I checked.

Honestly, me being shit at art probably has less to do with the tools I have than I'd like to think,
>>
>>2351422
Well, it didn't work. Neither the pen nor the tablet were working. The light wasn't like, a defect, its timing was constant and didn't vary. I just unplugged and plugged it back in and it worked fine, no issues and no flashing light, but still I just wonder why that happened.
>>
>>2351427

That's... really odd.

looking at some old forum posts I found this though:

>The blinking white light situation means that your Windows software cannot recognize the device. That is a Windows thing, not a tablet driver issue.

and

>If it continues to blink, wipe the surface clean - the touch sensor might be triggered by some dust - check the cable connections - sometimes a cable doesn't fit exactly - and try another USB port. Make sure, that Windows device manager detects the device without problem. If possible try a different USB cable. - Then install the tablet driver only, if this basic device functionality is ok. The tablet driver will not work if the HID drivers do not work.
>>
>>2351435
It could've been both then, my drivers constantly crash and I have to restore them from a backup and sometimes even re-install them. Plus, there was also a strong and dusty wind today where I live and, somehow, at some point, my tablet got dusty from it. Now it's both clean and drivers are working, I'll keep an eye for the next time it happens though.
>>
>>2351340
>It takes some Jedi hand/eye coordination when using a tablet.
It doesn't
>>
>>2351498
Not everyone can use tablets. There is a learning curve and even then some people never get comfortable with them.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAkEbJiN4jM
>>
Jesus, don't listen to most of these guys.

I've owned and experienced both and am a professional illustrator. So I've got a bit of experience using the tools of the trade.

What it really comes down to is that the cintiq provides far more precision when drawing. Drawing on an intuos however, unless your tablet is 1/1 with your monitor, will always have a discrepancy between your pen motion and what the cursor does on screen and you will find it difficult to do fine lineart quickly.

Now for painting I haven't found either one to have an advantage aside from the fact that your hand isn't on the screen with the intuos. That said I've never had a problem with my hand being in the way on my cintiq.

I have the 13hd with a 15inch macbook and with a moderate sized desk I've got plenty of room to move them both around and get myself in a comfortable position with my left hand on the keyboard for shortcuts and my pen in my right hand. It all feels very natural and it's a fun experience to draw and paint. The only real downside is that sometimes I get a little eye strain from being too close to the monitor.

I upgraded from an intuos mainly because I found it didn't allow me the kind of precision I wanted at the speed I wanted it. I could do fine line art, which is a big part of how I paint, but it took more than twice as long as it does now with the cintiq.

Now all that said, if you're just getting into digital painting, you don't need a cintiq. THere are lots of professionals out there that use an intuos because, frankly, it gets the job done just fine. You can do just as good art on an intuos as you can on a cintiq, some aspects might just take a bit longer.

The only other downside to the cintiq I can think of besides the eye strain is that the connection wires are pretty awful, they're thick and stiff I sometimes feel like I'm going to break the plug on the side of it.

Tldr. Buy an intuos.
>>
>>2351536
Those people should quit trying to be artists and cash in their disability cheques then.
>>
>>2351402
13HD can't be mounted on an arm. Pretty much it's biggest shortcoming because it makes it difficult to find a comfortable setup.
>>
>>2351622
don't listen to this chump.

I'm a pro concept artist that has used literally every cintiq out there. The 12ux, 21", 13HD 22HD touch, 24HD. The 12 and 21 are shit. Their color is awful and they get hotter than hell. The 13HD is... ok. The stand is fucking god awful and constantly slides around. The 22HD is the best for your money out of all of them. Only thing is you will need to get a swivel arm and that adds another $100. The 24HD is an amazing piece of tech and the stand is fantastic as well. I prefer a swivel arm but that thing is too heavy for one.

Now the only way any of those are worth it is if you are made of fucking money. $2500 is too fucking much for a screen.

Do what I did, get the Yiynova msp19u+. It's about $350 when I bought mine from Panda City (amazon) but I think they are $400. You should also go ahead and get a swivel arm for it which again is another $100. Yiynova makes an arm thats pretty fuckin solid. The colors of the yiynova are fantastic and are very close to the cintiqs. It also has 2056 levels of sensitivity with drivers better than wacoms.

The msp19u+ has a few tiny drawbacks. It has no hotkeys and is at a slightly lower res. The glass is also slightly further from the image but was a non issue for me and 99.99% of people that use it. One las thing.... the pens take 1 AAA battery. The battery kasts a reaalllyyy long time. (had mine for 9 months now and the battery that came with it is still working) Just in case I keep a pack of batteries taped to the back of the display just in case I ever need them.

If you have the money get the yiynova. It's a great display and a FRACTION of the price of a wacom. The down sides are minimal at worst compared to a cintiq. I mean fuck, an intuos pro is like $300 anyways. not to mention wacom has some of the shittiest fucking support I have EVER had to deal with. Panda City (yiynova's USA distributor) is amazing. They will replace or repair anything for free.
>>
>>2351622
let me tell you something about the intuos ( or at least the older ones from 2013 and the like)

Those things fucking break EASY. The USB port is really badly made and will eventually break after very light use. When I had my intuos would sit it on my lap and paint like that. I never dropped them, pulled on the wires, or did ANYTHING rough with them. I had 4 tablets break in the span of a year and half. Apparently, they are not mean to be moved at all seeing as how they are so fucking fragile.

I have a 12 year old graphire 2 4x5 that still works and I use it when im traveling. I will never buy another wacom tablet again.
>>
>>2351715
Can confirm, Yiynova is pretty damn good.
>>
I don't do digital, but AFAIK what matters most is the size. If you can buy awesome small one or decent large one at the same price you get decent large one. It's partly because drawing with your shoulder which is required for making straight lines or good circles and ellipsies forces you to make relatively big motions.
>>
cintiq or intuos is like the old as G-pen or Kabura pen question

It's the same fucking thing fuck
>>
>>2351622
>unless your tablet is 1/1 with your monitor, will always have a discrepancy between your pen motion and what the cursor does on screen
My intuos4 would be 16:10 I think, but my screen is 3:2. Is there no way to make it feel more natural?
[spoiler]I'm actually using a Surface Pro 4, and have been trying to compare the N-Trig pen to Wacom. So far the N-Trig seems fine[/spoiler]
>>
I've got a Huion Giano coming in the mail; I'll let you guys know how it is, but from all appearances it's the one to get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViNewDT2ogw
>>
weekly stealth huion marketing thread
>>
>>2351380
IIRC one light is the on light, and the other's the "pencil/finger has touched surface"light
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.