[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ANIMATION GENERAL

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 86

File: pinched.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
pinched.webm
3MB, 640x360px
Thread #14

Previous Thread: >>2333756

Bring us your roughs, your storyboards, your pencil tests etc. Talk about industry, schools, the hopelessness of it all, how we all gonna make it etc.

If you're gonna post animation that isn't yours give source or state that it isn't yours.

Keep shitposting to a minimum. Don't feed the trolls.

>Stuff you may find useful, books basic program tutorials etc
https://mega.co.nz/#F!3p8CwQZD!DR2mC-kw0TyQQ8Uw3T6JYg
https://mega.co.nz/#!TdclgBqS!QWLS9f3ogerhJDfxCYPv_yFKRR11tP_IC0eaA4sEwug

>Reference stuff you can find with a simple google search
http://www.referencereference.com/
https://vimeo.com/groups/aniref
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRvspTjApofA2Yg3i10gTdQ
http://www.rhinohouse.com/

Japanese style animation tutorial: http://listeningside.net/a_side00.html
Stoyboard & composition: http://www.floobynooby.com/comp1.html

>Play YT videos frame-by-frame
http://rowvid.com/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube-plus/?src=search

Lastly, if you've got some good animation resources, contribute!

pd: copied from the last OP; i'm not the OP from thread #13.
>>
If anyone's wondering where the OP clip is from, it's from a pretty nice short animation called 'Pinched', by David Vandervoort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LlUmhF6Da8
>>
File: car ride.jpg (299KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
car ride.jpg
299KB, 1920x1080px
MEH. Working out some roughs in Storyboard Pro. Wish this program wasn't so dang expensive. Just trying to get a feel for the software right now.

https://youtu.be/-QNiDcYIKGM
>>
File: shit4.gif (293KB, 413x323px) Image search: [Google]
shit4.gif
293KB, 413x323px
workin' on some game anims

getting the idle right has been super tough; i've tried a buncha diff poses but they're really hard to get done right so i tried to go for a simple bounce i guess. just a rough thing.

i know about the flickering heads during the run, im gonna redraw that whole part.

crit? 24 fps in flash
>>
File: Untitled.gif (386KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.gif
386KB, 1280x720px
>>2348949
I like it, though with the head I think the side to side shaking is a bit intense. It makes her look very frantic (you might want that though) If you don't I'd suggest keeping it more still or cheating it a bit so instead of turning away from us her face is always showing but her head still moves with the run. Always being able to see the character's expression is more appealing for games I think.

This is a rocket with a little astronaut boppin along. I've done shit all effects animation before so I'm gonna go hunt for anime scenes to rip off.
>>
File: Untitled 19.gif (78KB, 700x393px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled 19.gif
78KB, 700x393px
moved some shit around the end to make it seem a touch more natural, next one will be keyframed.
>>
File: transformationfinal.gif (2MB, 1092x880px) Image search: [Google]
transformationfinal.gif
2MB, 1092x880px
Game work. Didn't get to do many frame but frame bits, but I managed to sneak this in.
>>
>>2349046
the end is not well times, and it's too muddy/ too blurry
>>
File: output_mIgKzV.gif (582KB, 768x832px) Image search: [Google]
output_mIgKzV.gif
582KB, 768x832px
Here's me trying out Krita's animation beta. So far I like it, though there are a few glaring issues: No obvious button to play your animation as a loop, and copy-pasting frames was not possible and resulted in me having to re-draw a few frames. But hey, beta is beta.

As for the animation itself, I'm just getting started, so please tear me a knew asshole if you decide to critique it. I tried a simple walk cycle to get the ball rolling.
>>
a giraffe popping its collar

http://mediumheightgiraffe.tumblr.com/post/137181231366/pop-the-collar-like-a-kool-kid
>>
>>2349286

Super neat. i like how clean it looks.

It seems to be final, but i'll still give some crit.

It's kind of weird how he slides into the final position at the end, he shrinks a bit, too, and maybe the movement to strip off his clothes could have been a lot more forceful. but other than that its pretty clean. Reminds me of Skullgirls, for some reason. What program did you use?

>>2348921

How long did this take you?

>>2349492

Unless the actual character is made out of dirty circles; i don't think that rough is going to work.

>>2349046

Some of the positions are a bit unclear; but it looks pretty sweet.
>>
>>2349492
your poor linework ruins it all. It's blobs. Not even blobs, just fucking- I don't even know. Why would you have a line at headlevel? The head bobs up and down.
>>
>>2348963

You should finish this; like, a cartoony character of sorts just hopping off the rocket a bit everytime it lands.
>>
File: IMG.jpg (189KB, 824x553px) Image search: [Google]
IMG.jpg
189KB, 824x553px
>>2349733
>How long did this take you?

Eh, a few hours. Did it yesterday evening.
>>
File: TheGif.gif (42KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
TheGif.gif
42KB, 800x450px
ball
>>
File: 2.webm (336KB, 750x563px) Image search: [Google]
2.webm
336KB, 750x563px
meh
>>
>>2349842
Good Squash-n-Stretch. Might just be the framerate but the movement feels sluggish. There doesn't feel like there's any acceleration in the ascent or descent.
>>
>>2349861
he just needs to remove a few frames from different points after the arcs.

after it comes down or shoots up, remove a few frames when its about 1/2 of the way to the ground/max point in arc

this way you achieve shorter timing of its fall at certain point, acceleration.
>>
File: Lily_Run_Test.gif (162KB, 523x529px) Image search: [Google]
Lily_Run_Test.gif
162KB, 523x529px
In the spirit of game art, here's the running animation for the main character of the game I'm making.
Bottom is the shitty first attempt, top is after a redesign. I realized I needed her to be a bit smaller, so I chose to age her down rather than simplify the sprite detail.
Left is 12 FPS, right is 24 FPS. I'm not sure which one looks better.
>>
>>2349842
You made a very obvious beginner mistake; I'm going to let you figure out what that is because I don't think you're a retard-just surmise you need to be told after-the-fact that there is indeed something truly disastrously wrong with that animation, fambalaya.
>>
>>2349897

animation wise this looks really great... drawing-wise it's got that godawful twister spine pose... like her tits are facing us yet she her ass doesn't imply the same direction,,,
>>
>>2349918
Just for the bottom one? Yeah, I was thinking about redoing the run even before I decided to redesign her. Her top half is facing slightly toward the camera, and the bottom is just facing right. I tried to avoid that in the second attempt, so the whole thing would face slightly forward.
>>
>>2349897
Sacrificing good looking animation to show t&a? Talk about drawing with your dick lol
>>
>>2350037
You can't read.
>>
>>2350046
It's the first attempt? Does that somehow make you forget the basics?
>>
>>2349939

Yeah, just for the bottom one I mean. It's still pretty good and honestly that kind of pose is accepted in most places since 'sex sells' or whatever so do whatever you want man
>>
>>2349897
really diggin it. I'd say that you should pick which ever frame rate suits the game. The 24fps one looks really good but it might not fit if the game is one of those slow grinds. But if you want nice energetic movement to come from your character then the 24fps would be the way to go.
>>
>>2350037
>>2350063
I must really suck phrasing things. The top ones are the newer animations, I'm using those. She was aged down, not up.
Also, thanks for the positive comments, but I just don't think the bottom animation should be meeting anyone's standards.
>>2350078
Thanks. It's a pretty fast paced platformer, and I am leaning to the 24FPS.
>>
I think this was the only reason I wanted to watch this movie.

https://vimeo.com/61309639
>>
File: 2016-1-10 test1and2 trytry.webm (404KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2016-1-10 test1and2 trytry.webm
404KB, 1920x1080px
>>2348885
Do you guys use any video editing program to splice your animations? If so, what is it?
>>
>>2348885

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSA8XnrpDK4
>>
File: 2d rigging.png (85KB, 1078x1880px) Image search: [Google]
2d rigging.png
85KB, 1078x1880px
Toonboom rigging is kinda a mind fuck but it's neat that i'll be able to animate a single cut out right without any seams and have front/side/3/4/back views in one setup. Pic related of it wip.
>>
>>2349897
12 fps is better for platformers, the less frames the more animations your can have

the bottom looks like she's just floating her hips aren't moving up and down, just twisting too much

the top two don't have to be age her down to simplfy but because you did you didn't twist the hips in a weird way and other things that made the animation better

24fps for quick motion would be fast to the point you don't even realize it sometimes, but if you slow it down it'll look like its over animated
>>
>>2350389
everyone come and laugh at this guy.
>>
>>2350555
>12 fps is better for platformers
You're right. Every other animation is 12fps, I was only considering using the full 24 frames for the run animation, mostly since I drew them already and they took 6 extra hours. But the 12fps run has its own appeal, it's less smooth but it has more weight to it.
>>
File: huff.gif (193KB, 690x388px) Image search: [Google]
huff.gif
193KB, 690x388px
How do you change the size of the camera in toonboom? Kind of annoying that I end up with all these animations with a bunch of empty space on either side.
>>
>>2350086
Yeah if it's a play former if go with 24fps. And you worded it fine, those guys need to learn how to read.
>>
>>2350154
After effects my dude
>>
Thinking about trying Toon Boom.
Has anyone used it or is using it?
Pros, Cons, Alternatives?
>>
File: cup.gif (21KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
cup.gif
21KB, 640x360px
a cup with water
>>
>>2350721
Why is it shifting side to side like that. Also could you slow it down a bit?
>>
>>2350721
make it fill all the way up and have it overflow
>>
>>2350705
Toon Boom is over hyped garbage. People tout about it due to the shows they like being "made" with it.
>>
>>2349733

Hey man, thanks for the words.

Ah it's a bit of an odd movement I know, the character transforms into the starting postion of another animation so I had to fudge it a little at the end.

Yeah I know the exageration could be a little more pronounced, but hindsight will do that! Ah it was mocked up in Tvpaint then the lines were redrawn and colored in Photochop.

also the fact that it reminds you of skull girls is a huge deal.
>>
File: cup.gif (37KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
cup.gif
37KB, 640x360px
>>2350729
>>2350743
well I already added the ice before I read this, but hopefully this is ok enough
>>
>>2350901
if you wanna go with ice, have it slowly return to the surfacem the recoil will be a nice touch
>>
>>2350654
When you're making a new project you can change it there or change size in project preferences.
>>2350564
100 million views on youtube and counting, do go on laughing!
>>
>>2348949
Working on any actual games?
>>
I know this is a huge newfriend question, but I would greatly appreciate some input. I really want to get into hand drawn animation. What equipment/tools do I need to get started?
>>
>>2351757
post your work so i can laugh even more.
>>
>>2352236
More than equipment you need a skill called drawing. Just draw first, do animation when you can draw or you're just gonna feel like you're wasting your time cause you're not good enough. hand animation is the hardest craft to learn properly, you need to learn how to draw first.
>>
>>2352305
I'm confident in my drawing abilities, now I want to apply it.
>>
File: pic-02.jpg (24KB, 385x289px) Image search: [Google]
pic-02.jpg
24KB, 385x289px
>>2352311
I took an animation class in high school, what seemed essential to me was a light table, definitely need yourself a good light table that is at an angle thats comfortable to draw for long periods of time because you're going to be sitting in front of it for hours. Another helpful thing was the ones we used in class were similar to pic related, not exactly that one but its the closest i can find. It rotated and the little pegs held the paper in place, the fact that it rotated helped A LOT so if you can try to get one that rotates.

I'm not sure if this is the method used in studios but in class we had a little things called a LunchBox (google lunchbox animation) that was hooked up to a camera with a light source. We would lay down a frame, hit the button to capture or take a picture, lay the other frame on top of that until we were done with our scene, shit was tedious. If I remember correctly the lunch box was connected to a computer or something, im not sure the teacher handled that part, so you'll have to do research on that on your own. I'm sure there are other methods to get your animation on to the computer and shit.

As for coloring, I don't have a clue, I remember our final project had to do with coloring, we made a background using watercolors and on top of that we drew a character on a cell and used oils to paint that, so you'll have to figure that out on your own, you could always look up how anime studios do it, they still do hand drawn animation

other than that just your essential drawing shit senpai, pencils, erasers, shit ton of paper, the kind with the specific hole punches, or you can buy the hole punch and do it yourself, colored pencils for rough sketching, a kneaded eraser is nice too

sorry for the run on sentences, i haven't slept and stopped giving a shit about grammar, anyway if you think digital animation is tedious, enjoy the world of hand drawn animation, and have fun!
>>
>>2352224
yeah, not too far into it though

we made a few prototypes to test the animations in respect to the player controls and the maps, mostly, along with like, testing parallaxing sprites and shit.
>>
>>2349899
Just tell him what's wrong you faggot
>>
>>2352357
Tell me if you need any help. Sidescrollers are my thing, and been looking for a decent animator for a while.
>>
>>2352355
any good light table u want to recommend/?
>>
>>2351757
post channel or gtfo
>>
>>2352236
Years ago I would have told you to get one of these, but they seem to be dead, and the website of the manufacturer hasn't been updated in ages.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191607770837?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

Too bad, they were a good way to test your timing in paper animation. Guess paper-based animation is a dying art. Even 2D is 95% digital.

Nowadays I'd tell you to get a batch scanner that can scan dozens of sheets at once, and some basic animation software.
>>
File: unique hit guy.gif (575KB, 700x400px) Image search: [Google]
unique hit guy.gif
575KB, 700x400px
made a quick sloppy one punch man thingie
>>
>>2352805
that "END" bit got me, the first few frames' movements are a little stiff.
>>
>>2348885
Can anyone tell me what this is from or who its by??
>>
File: IMG_006.jpg (527KB, 917x1184px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_006.jpg
527KB, 917x1184px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5astJksMJ4

'nother little test.
>>
>>2352832
just read the fucking thread
>>
File: tailswing_v01.gif (61KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
tailswing_v01.gif
61KB, 768x576px
homework, only supposed to make the tail swing
>>
File: 343423.png (415KB, 2232x1170px) Image search: [Google]
343423.png
415KB, 2232x1170px
>>2353132
you had one job

it looks terrible anon. make it slow in and slow out at the edge of the swing. Also when it swings to the right it snaps, you obviously need another frame in there. probably better to just scrap it and start again. give it more of a wave-like motion.
>>
>>2353132
It's moving the wrong way. Tails, clothes and hair, the movement usually(!) comes from the base of the element its connected too. There's a lot of examples where people "move invisible balls" along the tail/cloth/hair to make it seem wavy. Either way, just reverse (or redo) the entire thing, since it's literally the complete opposite of what you're doing.
>>
>>2352632
sorry, i don't know many brands, all i know is the ones we had were enclosed in wood painted white, slanted, had the rotating area
>>
>>2353137
where is this pic from?
>>
>>2353313
No idea. found it on google images. Reverse search it
>>
>>2352805
I could see this animation and timing work for a parody on the youtubes
>>
>>2353139
>>2353137
thanks
>>
File: couragenotfinished.gif (106KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
couragenotfinished.gif
106KB, 768x576px
gonna space things out and add timing ofc but
how do you colour frames in Toon Boom?
I tried watching a few tutorials and so far nothing's really sticking.
>>
File: Untitled 22.gif (115KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled 22.gif
115KB, 700x500px
wip(?) I only just hit play and realised I should've planned the easing in advance
>>
Anyone has any opinions on Synfig studio and the new animation tools in Krita?
>>
>>2349897
top right is the most fluid
>>
File: Muramasa.png (133KB, 513x453px) Image search: [Google]
Muramasa.png
133KB, 513x453px
Does animation like this have a name?
https://youtu.be/Q8aS9_vxxfo?t=24m
I get that its a lot of tweening for inbetweens but it looks really nice
>>
>>2354214
Puppet animation. This is the best program for it that I know of. You need the pro version in order to use the pseudo-3D effect.
>>
>>2354214
>>2354220
https://youtu.be/5RTkImAOJKM
Forgot to link the program, goddamnit. I've never used it myself, but I've used others and very few come with this many features specifically for it.
http://esotericsoftware.com
>>
>>2354223
Holy shit mate
This is like, fucking perfect for what I was looking for
>the animation of the girls with the guns
I swear I could have said that was 3D, mah dick
>>
>>2354291
Just know that it's much more complicated than they make it seem in that video.
>>
>>2350705
It's wonderful, and if you used flash before it you'll start to realize how much time you wasted doing shit when tb could do it in a seconds.

A deformer that works on vectors? Sure.

Cutter/masks that are tied to objects and cut without having to redraw/move a seperate mask? Sure.

Easy painting/repaining with a single click? Absolutely.

Do cutout animation? You can have an entire rig set up with every turn in one hierarchy without having to use symbols/movie clips so every part of the object is on the main timeline and you can move freely.

A smooth brush tool/pen tool and cutter for easy line clean up. Etc

It goes on and on

>>2350816
Overhyped how? It works and it works damn well. The other alternative is flash which is shit, tvpaint which is FBF only, and mangastudio which is like a 3d puppet rig thingy primarily.
>>
>>2354594
Surely there is something better than TVPaint for FMF.
>>
>>2354610
You can do FBF in toonboom with raster brushes, but that's only if you have TB 12. Not sure if theres any other real alternative to TVpaint for fbf, i'm all ears if you can think of anything. I mean I guess you can do it in photoshop, but that is missing so many simple tools for animating making any fine adjustments is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>2354055
no shit.
>>
File: hype.gif (48KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
hype.gif
48KB, 500x280px
Testing something. Pls ignore
>>
>>2354594
>mangastudio which is like a 3d puppet rig thingy primarily.
Did you mean Blender? Manga Studio's an art program with no animation feature.
>>
>>2354926
Derp, i mean anime studio. Mixed them up:

http://my.smithmicro.com/anime-studio-pro.html
>>
File: Kiki_Krita_86.gif (482KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Kiki_Krita_86.gif
482KB, 640x480px
Krita 3.1 soon

https://krita.org/item/first-krita-3-0-pre-alpha/
>>
>>2355840
Is the pre alpha stable?
>>
Please inform me as to what is wrong with flash and Photoshop for fbf? They both seem to have superior uis, better hotkeys, and better timelines than everything else. And as for ps, better painting tools.
>>
>>2355855
>flash
you can have an arm that is steady as the gods but the line work will still be a mess of random shapes/width because the vector engine all flash is based on is stuck in 1995 and they have yet to rewrite it.
>>
>>2355843
Well, it never crashed on me but it's slow as shit.
>>
File: musevolve.gif (400KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
musevolve.gif
400KB, 640x480px
>>2353137
This image is exactly what I need. Thank you.

Speaking of waves, I watched a bunch of footage of mice while working on this and I only just realised how perfect the curve of their movement is while they climb and run around and shit.
Mice are cute as hell.
I still need to work on the consistency of the shapes in my animations. The shuffle of the bush in the center is all kinds of fucked up.
>>
>>2352624
where can i contact you?
>>
File: elizabeth0002.gif (146KB, 720x576px) Image search: [Google]
elizabeth0002.gif
146KB, 720x576px
camera is supposed to move when he suddenly changes directions but Im too tired to figure out how to draw that, just drew as I went
>>
File: download (25).jpg (6KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download (25).jpg
6KB, 300x168px
>>2355974
incase ur somehow wondering what the hell that is
>>
>>2355840
woah the movement on this is really fluid and awesome
>>
>>2355840
That animation's fucking pretty, anon.
>>
>>2356120
Thanks but it's not mine, it's on the Krita site. It's adorable; I wish I knew who made it!
>>
File: DanceGirl_SEQ_small.gif (588KB, 640x600px) Image search: [Google]
DanceGirl_SEQ_small.gif
588KB, 640x600px
>>2356153
Achille Bibard.
He worked on Space Dandy.
http://akill-blazard.blogspot.ca/p/blog-page.html
>>
>>2356182
>French

That explains everything.
>>
>>2355840

Adorable.
>>
>>2349899
Not him. Is it that the ball shouldn't stretch as it approaches the ground?
>>
>>2356345
You got it famborghini; in the Animator's Survival Kit, Williams uses an example with a nail bending before being struck with a hammer or a raindrop splashing before it makes contact with a surface. Definitely have to consider the context in mind. With that said, anon could have been attempting a "smear" effect, but he would have to add more frames and mess with his spacing a lot for that to be effective.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPVR9ELDh1s
>>
File: Untitlehhd.gif (203KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Untitlehhd.gif
203KB, 1280x720px
I need help

I kinda give up at the last 5 frames

Really noob into this, could aprecciate some help
>>
>>2356783
physics, timing, spacing, weight, follow through, anticipation, everything.
>>
>>2356783
everything is happening waay too fast, try miming and timing a similar action yourself to get a better feel for it
>>
File: untitled.gif (675KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.gif
675KB, 1280x720px
Flipaclip is quite fun to use.
>>
Other than "Animator's Survival Kit", are there other books you consider essential for learning animation?
>>
File: upper body walk.gif (12KB, 320x170px) Image search: [Google]
upper body walk.gif
12KB, 320x170px
I can't seem to get my walk loop to repeat smoothly. Maybe I just need to redraw the head.
>>
File: 00.jpg (118KB, 600x336px) Image search: [Google]
00.jpg
118KB, 600x336px
dear anon
I colored my shitty animation

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9o5KVlnjXk
>>
>>2357347

I say just add more frames if you are really just to get a fluidity down. Otherwise it looks pretty good.
>>
>>2356182
I saw this on FB earlier.
Ever see a short animation that get your excited about animation.
Get the juices flowing.
>>
>>2354594
Thanks for the insight on Toon Boom.
I've really want to give it a shot and I've heard how "easy" it makes animation but I've heard negatives about the UI. It might be artists just more comfortable with one program or unable to adapt to it quickly but I want to give it a shot.
I might give TVPaint a chance too.
>>
File: morty_rig_mk1.gif (300KB, 623x472px) Image search: [Google]
morty_rig_mk1.gif
300KB, 623x472px
>>2357802
it's a lot to take in at first and the tools aren't clear if you didn't animate before, but once you realize what they do it's really great. Here's a rig i'm making to do a rick/morty animation.
>>
File: idaknow.gif (33KB, 300x345px) Image search: [Google]
idaknow.gif
33KB, 300x345px
>>
File: harder.gif (261KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
harder.gif
261KB, 500x280px
>>2354809
TRY HARDER
TRY HARDER

WE'RE ALMOST THERE BRAH
>>
>>2357827
nice. is that rig from the show or did you make it yourself? looks pretty solid. the hands could be drawn better though
>>
What do y'all think of this animation I made when I was 15?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzWYjkAJNyE

It's not great but it's the best I've ever made. Any feedback?
>>
>>2355840
crashed after 5 minutes of using
>>
>>2358526
It's a pre-alpha fambo, give it a month or two.
>>
>>2358187
give the cheeks that ripple/recoil effect. Hardly see twerking animations
>>
File: hands.gif (351KB, 1045x572px) Image search: [Google]
hands.gif
351KB, 1045x572px
>>2358251
Making it myself, but since the show is done in toonboom they pretty much build it the same way, a bunch of deformers/cutters/color overides. Hands are shitty but i just roughed them real quick for dimensions, i'll redraw them later.

This is what autopatching does in toonboom: allows you to have multiple layers that mask the lines of intersection to give seamless connections:
>>
File: hands2.gif (1MB, 1294x592px) Image search: [Google]
hands2.gif
1MB, 1294x592px
>>2358701
Oops, just noticed i forgot to put the half circle of the forearm on the overlay layer, it needs to be under it for hand rotation to not be invisible. Fixed it here:
>>
>>2358707
Where did you learn to use toon boom? Can you link any resources? I'd be pretty interested in trying out some of what you're doing there
>>
>>2358707
Tiara that you?
>>
>>2358859
It's the result of just searching around youtube and watching vids/figuring stuff out, the offical toonboom tutorials are kind really shit and don't explain anything more then the pure pure basics (and now how to link them/make them work).

https://www.youtube.com/user/ckami/videos are good videos to grasp.
>>2358873
sup
>>
i tried to use flash cc and it has just horrible brush tool. is it any better in previous versions?
>>
>>2358974
No it's shit in all versions, its why you either get tvpaint/toonboom/photoshop/animestudio
>>
>>2359028
ok thanks, i'm learning tvpaint and the brush here probably feels even more natural than in photoshop, really like it
>>
File: kikibrush.webm (2MB, 1968x1536px) Image search: [Google]
kikibrush.webm
2MB, 1968x1536px
>>2355840
>>
>>2359440
I think it's cute that you tried. Nice attempt, watch your volumes famtaro she easily doubles in size at one point Jesus.
>>
>>2359444

;D yupp
>>
File: tailswing_v02.gif (40KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
tailswing_v02.gif
40KB, 768x576px
fixed it up after that cool anon whipped out the wave pic
>>
>>2359480
I would say the easing is the wrong way round, right now you have it slow in the middle and fast on the ends, I think it should be slow at the ends fast through the middle, it's worth trying anyway since it's just a line you have to redraw
>>
>>2359489
thanks!
>>
>>2357398
Your character reminds me of the character designs in Kaiba.

Are you influenced by that anime or is it a coincidence?
>>
>>2357210
bokumachi vibes
>>
File: 2016-1-20 test1 tripletry.webm (146KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2016-1-20 test1 tripletry.webm
146KB, 1920x1080px
>>2348885
Is there an anime like Shirobako, without the melodrama
>>
File: throw.gif (320KB, 900x379px) Image search: [Google]
throw.gif
320KB, 900x379px
Not sure what to do with hands after folding
>>
>>2358707
what interests you to do symbol animation? as someone who studies animation i dont see the appeal of symbol animation. i'm into classical, stop mo and 3d however
>>
>>2359652
3D is symbol animation in 3D. I guess when I put it that way I don't really see the appeal either. It's the worst of both worlds.
>>
>>2359652
Once i do a rig i can animate whatever in bigger quantaties than animating something from scratch completely frame by frame. It's just impossible to get anything done in any reasonable time if you did FBF (and 3d puppeting is pretty much like 2d symbol animating, but i just prefer the 2d medium). Also i can quickly draw new characters/backgrounds and effects while animating with a set "rig". If i had an infinite budget then i'd love to be able to have a team and do animation the quality of the old 19xx cartoons, but that's just not gonna happen.
>>
>>2359652
As someone who really picked up symbol animation recently after only doing it in passing a year or so ago, it's just so satisfying. You can do things SO quickly in comparison to traditionally animating.
>>
>>2359658
Yeah exactly. There's nothing particularly wrong with animating with symbols, it's just the problem is a lot of these symbol animations are done in studious overseas who dont' care about animation basics/motion/weight/etc, and just outbid each other for lowest dollar and then tween the shit out of everything without a care.

If you have an animation where the character has a lot of talking (like rick and morty) then is there really a point in drawing every conversation FBF like disney? For the humor/time spent it would be a very poor investment.
>>
>>2359656
so it's just a matter of efficiency then? i understand that but what do you want to do with the medium?
>>
>>2359665
I enjoy making parodies that make people laugh, and working on creating my own IP and doing whatever. I'm not the best animator (or hell even descent animator by industry standards) but i don't expect someone else to animate the stupid ideas i come up with, so I do it myself in a form that i know how to (and i just like cartoony 2d format).
>>
>>2359667
i mean i guess thats fair. what i really like about animation is the artistry and craftsmanship you can achieve with it. i want to tell compelling, moving stories that are cinematic and resonate with audiences. but idk that doesn't make anyone else's goals any less valid best of luck
>>
>>2359679
It's going well so far, at 94 million views and will hit 100 in a month or two. If anything i'm inspired by Justin Royland/Alex Hirsch who did their own silly animated parodies and eventually went on to create their own huge shows.
>>
>>2359686
that's incredible. do you make a lot of money from the views? not sure how youtube payment works would love some insight.

and roiland is honestly a special case. he created rick and morty as a pilot through channel 101 which is owned/operated by dan harmon who is very well connected in the industry it's not like he just made a show by himself overnight with no contacts.
>>
>>2359689
Honestly i used to but not anymore because youtube changed the CPM model to be by watch time instead of views (and it's why there has been such a huge decline of animators on youtube, or hell anyone who take time to make stuff). Youtube wants 10 minute long+ videos uploaded every other day or more, which is impossible even with symbol animation.

So even if you make a minute long beautiful animation that gets 10 millions views it will still earn a tiny amount. I used to make 5-7k a month for 4-5 million views, and now that figure due to watch time CPM had been reduced to $800-1.2k

It's why oney/egoraptor/ricepirate/ross/gonzo/etc stopped doing animation completely or do it once in a blue moon, and same reason why frederator and mondo media spam those countless click bait top 10 or 100 facts videos instead of putting out animation, because they simply don't pay anymore if you're not a single person working on it.

Youtube is still a great way to get noticed (like david orielly) and get a "real job" in animation, but as for making it a career on youtube only it's gonna be super tough unless you can get some kind of branding/merchandise stuff going at the same time.
>>
>>2359696
wow 5-7k a month is incredible. it really disheartens me that every time a viable source of income is found artists eventually get screwed over. i just hope patreon and the like don't turn sour as well.
>>
>>2359701
It will be nice if patreon lasts but honestly i wouldn't count on it. I hope i'm wrong of course. That being said youtube SFW animators with patreons don't get much anyway, no one wants to donate to people making funny cartoons, if you do animation and want money do porn or porn games.
>>
>>2359706
after schools over i dont know if i'll pursue being an animator/independent animator to be honest. ideally i'll go into story and do illustration/comics on the side. patreon seems to be good for illustrators
>>
Just found this, the last 2d animation from Disney studios from a deleted scene of Wreck-It Ralph.

A little bit over acted on the "I know" line in particular but I think but it's solid overall, as to be expected from a Disney animator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVWtTPa7wLM
>>
>>2359735
Kinda sad considering all the 2d animators at disney are out of a job now.
>>
>>2359735
>the last 2d animation from Disney studios

pretty sure disney does animation tests for all their latest films. calling it the last seems ignorant.

lets see your animation if you know what youre talking about
>>
File: le rutger hauer face.gif (502KB, 500x223px) Image search: [Google]
le rutger hauer face.gif
502KB, 500x223px
>>2359745
I actually had a few animations I'd made in 2012 or so (the last time I'd animated anything since beginning my formal drawing endeavor) that I was going to show, but I can't find them and I can't remember my password to the mega account I think I have them backed up at.

JUST

With that said I think you're right, I shouldn't have taken a description of a youtube video as gospel.
>>
File: 0.jpg (102KB, 400x370px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
102KB, 400x370px
>>2359494
You got it
I'm really shocked from "Kaiba"
anime can be this unique

I hope this doesn't count as plagiarize
>>
>>2359741
I don't think 2D will go extinct
even 3D animation still need 2D to create storyboard / layout
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr_eML-trTk
>>
File: 2016-1-22 test1trtrtry.webm (204KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2016-1-22 test1trtrtry.webm
204KB, 1920x1080px
>>2348885
Practice practice practice
>>
File: hoverboarder.gif (635KB, 537x537px) Image search: [Google]
hoverboarder.gif
635KB, 537x537px
Here's a thing
>>
>>2350086
The framing of the animations was poor, not the phrasing in the description. If the final version was the largest and on the bottom I think the idea would be clearly communicated. As an animator you should know where your audience is looking ;)
>>
>>2360459
thats really cool, what program do you use?
>>
>>2360484
Flash, not that I recommend it. :)
>>
>>2360459
You can say tens of things, but this is very fluid.

I like.
>>
>>2360477
I got you, yeah. I should be better about keeping basic design elements in mind. Thanks for pointing that out.
>>
>>2360513
Yeah sorry to sound like a prick. I actually thought the final version was quite good.
>>
>>2360459
The overlap on the jacket and armbands were very nicely handled. Really good job, anon.
>>
>>2360516
It's cool, anon. You didn't come off as an ass, and I am used to tough love around here.
>>
>>2354055
You're right, that one's double the framerate of the other two. I'm thinking about using this as an experiment now, to test how important fluidity is vs weight in animation. In my opinion the top right looks a bit more floaty than top left, which is why I'm split between the two.
>>2360516
I forgot to say before, thanks for the compliment,
>>
>>2360577
Maybe try some different timings instead of different framerates and see how that feels.

The spacing is pretty even right now but it might feel good if it eases down and then snaps back up. Try some things and see what works.
>>
>>2360636
Talking about the knife specifically, just realised I didn't even clarify that.
>>
>>2360636
A stiffer knife arm isn't a bad idea, sounds good. I wanna ride my programming mojo right now, so I'll play with it a bit more when I get back to working on animations. I'll probably show it off again somewhere in the next thread. Thanks again, anon.
>>
>>2359480
You need to have the sense that the force of the tail is coming from the base and the rest of the tail is following it, if you look at the wave diagram you'll see that beginning on the second frame the tail begins to pull to the other side creating the s shape because the rest of the tail is still moving the other way.
>>
>>2359647
That throw seems slow
>>
Does anyone know some good sites about news and informations about 2D/3D animation industry?
>>
>>2360853
http://www.cartoonbrew.com is not bad.

CGsociety
>>
File: galsses.gif (773KB, 900x466px) Image search: [Google]
galsses.gif
773KB, 900x466px
looking at the paper plane
>>
>>2355840
very nice.
>>
>>2350921
It should snap quickly back to the surface.
>>
Do you listen to anything while you work? I personally like to listen to 98-2007 Opie and Anthony recordings, but I got the Animator's Survival Kit, and it descretions against listening to music/etc while animating
>>
>>2361207
>it discretions against listening to music

That's a mild way of putting it.
>>
>>2361207
It probably depends on the person. Adam Phillips (bitey.com), who is a very solid animator in his own right, says that he listens to music all the time and that it's bullshit; but then again if he's always listened to music who knows how is work may be different if he didn't. Certainly not him, lol. I'm a person that can't multi-task worth a damn so music is out.
>>
>>2361207
Simple instrumental/ambient stuff is fine. Anything that could fuck you up while animating generally has lyrics and such that distract you.
Generally, shit like instrumental hip hop or vaporwave or that kind of thing aren't going to fuck you up much.
>>
>>2361212
wasn't gonna quote the whole page in verbatim sorry, but that summed it up anyways
>>
I recently decided to start learning how to animate but I recently got a new computer and I'm having a bit of a problem because I'm not computer savvy. The fan is very loud and just constantly runs 24/7. It doesn't even turn off when I'm idle on the screensaver. Is this normal for newer 'more powerful' computers? If so, how do you stand to work on an animation for hours with the insanely annoying buzzing sound? If not, can someone recommend something in the $700-$1100 range?
>>
>>2361334
headphones/a smaller fan?
>>
>>2361207

Everybody's got opinions on this kind of stuff. Just because an "expert", even a high level expert, says something, doesn't make it so.

Recently I had a guy who is much, MUCH higher up in the animation world than I am tell me "Don't draw sci-fi or horror. There's no market for it in animation."

Am I going to listen to him? Of course not, he's full of crap. You gotta make these decisions on your own.

Experts are notorious for being unable to differentiate between their opinions and facts.
>>
File: 2016-1-22 test2 trytrytry.webm (635KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2016-1-22 test2 trytrytry.webm
635KB, 1920x1080px
>>2348885
Studied this guys animation: twitter.com/kupipopipo/status/690176682179723265
>>
>>2361561
Take is really good.
I like how he makes his animation look so volumetric with such simple drawings.
>>
Can I post 3D animation?
>>
>>2361609
theres a 3d board,
>>
>>2361613
But the people there suck senpai... They're mean...

:(
>>
>>2361616
Forget about it... I'll get the fuck out, you're right Nose Bro
>>
File: tumblr_o17xthxixr1rmvhn5o1_1280.jpg (232KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o17xthxixr1rmvhn5o1_1280.jpg
232KB, 1280x720px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arw_u1NaubM

Current state of my thumbnail rough cut.
>>
>>2361446
there's no market for good animation nowadays bruh but we're here to make it anyway
>>
>>2361613
Get the fuck out of here you scrub.
>>
>>2361690

Well here's the thing about "There's no market for __________"

I remember 6 or 7 years ago, when a lot of artists and creators wouldn't touch furry stuff with a ten foot pole, for fear of being associated with the fandom. People were literally afraid to do anything with talking animals.

Now Disney is practically pandering to the fandom with their newest tent-pole film.

The market always changes. You can't abandon doing what you like because of "the market".

And you shouldn't abandon the working methods that work for you because some "expert" says "That's not the way it's done!"

Screw the experts. If they new what they were doing, there would be a lot more decent animated movies out there.
>>
>>2361699
yeah boobay, but I don't really forsee 2D films going back into the mainstream. maybe they'll become slightly less niche but no 2D film will be a top grosser
>>
>>2361665

I like it very much, you have some nice storytelling going there.
>>
>>2361705

2D films will have to become lean and efficient to survive. It's already happening outside the US.

Heck, it's not 2D, but Anomalisa was made for less than half a million dollars. 2D can do the same.

>>2361706

Thank you very much. If you can read those scribbles than I must be doing something right.

I hope to have the final thumbnail cut done tomorrow or Saturday. Then I'll start the final animatic.
>>
I've got a question: just how much time does it take you to get a keyframe done?

If you're working alone, imagine that you had a buddy to take care of the clean up, his/her skill less than yours, and you want to be sure nothing can go wrong so you take your lines to that point.

How much time would've passed?

I wanna find out how slow I am in comparison.
>>
>>2361729
>2D can do the same.
"no"
I think 2D's biggest problem is lack of talent, but no way in hell you can make a half decent 2D film with half a million.
>>
>>2361754

So... why could Starburns industries do a stop-motion film for that budget?
>>
>>2361747
This is some feedback I got recently from a tutor where he's breaking it down to my stupid ass how to actually get work done. This a professional experienced 2D animator.
>>
>>2361763

Yes, that's roughly how I try to work and almost exact educated guess about my own pace!

I make keyframes in ~30 minutes and inbetweens in 10 to 15 minutes, the final result shows it's not a clean up but it's ready to become one.

Is that the same for you?
>>
>>2361759
I suppose I'm misunderstanding how "lean" you mean.
>>
>>2361754
>2D's biggest problem is lack of talent
top kek
>>
File: 123.gif (106KB, 1238x673px) Image search: [Google]
123.gif
106KB, 1238x673px
>>
What tools/hardware/software do you guys use to animate?
>>
>>2363337
TVpaint
>>
File: DefiniteFemaleBlackbear.webm (659KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DefiniteFemaleBlackbear.webm
659KB, 1920x1080px
Update

>>2363337
ToonBoom Animate 3

>>2363341
Did you torrent it?
>>
>>2363346
downloaded from OP lol
>>
>>2359741
Disney's 2D animators were kept on staff. They just had to learn the 3D software.
>>
File: rock the boat baby.gif (197KB, 550x400px) Image search: [Google]
rock the boat baby.gif
197KB, 550x400px
Some homework for my flash class of a wave hitting a boat. I've hit all the marks I needed to since it was a technical exercise. I'ld just like a few pointers as to what I can improve on going forward, I'm quite new at animation.
>>
Raster or Vector
From your own experience which do you prefer?
What animation style/genre benefit more or less to one or the other?
Pros and cons overall?
>>
>>2363581
That's actually pretty neat, well done!
>>
File: running loop .gif (32KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
running loop .gif
32KB, 160x160px
help anon, is the movement in this really weird or is just me?
>>
>>2364567
is weird because the pelvis stand static on the y axis, it needs to go up and down. Remember, everything squatches & stretches.
>>
File: alien entity.jpg (588KB, 1203x929px) Image search: [Google]
alien entity.jpg
588KB, 1203x929px
Final Thumbnail Rough Cut for the animatic I'm trying to make.

It's very rough around the edges, and some of the drawings are borderline scribbles, but... it gives me a decent starting point for the final version. Now to nail down the character designs and start work on the final version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coo3Lzair_Q
>>
File: Final.2 (4).gif (16KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
Final.2 (4).gif
16KB, 160x160px
what should i fix in this animation?
>>
>>2363581
thats a pretty good wave anon, i really like the attention to detail on the splashes
a boat is almost never at a standstill like that in water, especially after being hit by a wave
>>
>>2364888
forgot a *but
>>
>>2364567
Looks good to me
>>
>>2364567
im also having trouble drawing the upper body. can you guys help me in any way?
>>
Why do all 2D rig animations look like shit.
>>
>>2364712
Blood seems linear
>>
>>2355909
Here's to hoping Adobe Animate will be more than a simple name change and that Adobe actually tries to make it animator-centered.
>>
>>2365771
It will be years, just get toonboom and forget flash.
>>
>>2365432
Because FBF animation is impossible to do for any reasonable price.

It's why japans animators despite having frame by frame, animate on 3's 4's and all of them make a living wage worse than mcdonalds employes, with all of them near starvation and doing it because they love it.
>>
>>2366088
You came out pretty strong let me guess you're one of those 2D rig animators?
I love how whenever someone wants to defend their style of animation and shit on frame by frame they instantaneously pull the Japan and anime out of their asses.
Like, find another argument.
Anyway, you didn't answer my question why can't anyone make a 2D animation rig that doesn't look like herky jerky shit?
>>
>>2364939
Take a look at the animation survival kit, actually, read it all if you haven't (and I mean SERIOUSLY read it)
>>
>>2366104
I'm not saying 2d rigs are good, i'm saying FBF animation is too expensive to do normally so we're stuck with the much cheaper solution. I'd love to see 1950s era all fbf animation.

As for 2d rigs, wakfu, mickey mouse, and anything done by titmouse (like motorcity) are good rigs.

Ex:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz8-fdw0NUE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AizepmgmkOY
>>
>>2366106
>anything done by titmouse
That's not true there are a few Titmouse shows that are done fbf.
Venture Bros is one.
>>
File: seasons.png (13KB, 413x253px) Image search: [Google]
seasons.png
13KB, 413x253px
>>2366131
Yeah, and it takes them how many years to get a single season out (not to mention the small count of episodes)?

If anything thats exactly what im talking about.
>>
File: ....gif (2MB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
....gif
2MB, 250x188px
>>2366135
>Venture Brothers is over a decade old

At any rate, I don't think they began working on these seasons one after the other, ever. I feel like it took them a long time to even get Cartoon Network to consider a second season for example and that the seasons to follow were repeatedly delayed because Cartoon Network had to debate endlessly if they wanted to continue with the show considering how its high production values likely made it cost ineffective versus its contemporaries like Aqua Teen Hunger Force (which released about 1 season a year). Case in point Metalocalypse, which uses a similar cut out animation style to Aqua Team Hunger Force (albeit with much more detailed artwork) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalocalypse#Episodes
Also didn't see consecutive seasons released year after year.

The reason I'm pretty sure of this? Embarrassing as it is I remember contributing a handful of posts to the Venture Brothers forum on adultswim.com some time after the first season about this very subject after hearing about it, whining about how Aqua Teen wasn't facing the same problem getting green lit VB was.
>>
File: ART.png (283KB, 1024x791px) Image search: [Google]
ART.png
283KB, 1024x791px
This should be interesting for you guys
>>
>>2366327
why? this style is horrible
>>
>>2366327
Are these supposed to be mouth shapes for the alphabet or just various expressions?
>>
>>2366333
It's a mouth model sheet
>>
>>2366334
>mouth model sheet
Thanks famthony, sorry for wasting trips on letting the thread know I don't know dick.
>>
>>2366327
>Interesting

Fad show with shit style.
>>
>>2366327
F, H, and L don't look right to me.
>>
>>2366327
>inb4 someone comes in to defend their favorite cartoon show
It never fails whenever someone tries to point out the design flaws or similarities in Cartoon Network shows people get instantly butthurt and pull the "Well cartoons from 19XX and 200X weren't so great." Don't pull old shit into the argument defend your obsession with it's own material not something from 20+ years ago.
>>
File: shitty_attempt.webm (177KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
shitty_attempt.webm
177KB, 480x360px
>>2355840
some shitty attempt
will try add more frame then clean up later
>>
>>2366924
That's actually pretty good bud-
>>
File: loop.gif (2MB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
loop.gif
2MB, 500x400px
Flash crashes way to much...
>>
>>2366569
>>2366331
>>2366348

lol

No point in liking anything in these threads it seems.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKkNHkdLRQQ

Made this on the 3DS, and I really, really want to start on my computer. The problem is, I don't have a means to pay for a monthly subscription. Can someone please help and post a cracked version of something? Anything? I'll honestly take any animation software, I just want to animate on here so badly...
>>
>>2367170
read
the
thread
>>
File: galap1.gif (46KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
galap1.gif
46KB, 500x500px
this is my first attempt at animating. I have no idea what I'm doing. He is supposed to be going into his shell. It looks pretty awkward to me. Any advice?
>>
>>2357794
i know that feel all to well bro.
>>
>>2367529

Observe how a tortoise actually looks going into its shell. Head goes in, arms fold to the sides.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keakS68NNrE
>>
>>2367533
yeah, he is going to eventually go completely in.I dont know why it didnt occur to me to watch an actual video. Thanks for the tip!
>>
File: 1453782635517-901099337.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1453782635517-901099337.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
I have one of these light pads for animation. I find my eyes hurt every hour when animating, should I get one of the animation disk things instead?
>>
File: ezgif-3324979816.gif (753KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
ezgif-3324979816.gif
753KB, 500x375px
>>2348885
critique plz
>>
>>2367648
maybe you should take a break ?
no need to work continuously
>>
I'm looking for good animation tutorials. Single images, video series, references... whatever you got. I've got to git gud fast! Before you tell me, I've already checked out all the stuff in the OP's post.
>>
File: galap2.gif (122KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
galap2.gif
122KB, 500x500px
>>2367529
update. Its supposed to be based on my pet red eared slider, forgot to mention that before.
>>
File: 88789789798.gif (402KB, 978x550px) Image search: [Google]
88789789798.gif
402KB, 978x550px
ehhhhh
>>
>>2368082
how did you do this.

god damn I gotta finish loomis
>>
>>2350816
Amen brother, especially the counterproductive rigging system and symbols.
>>
>>2368082
Really good.
>>
>>2359745
I don't think it's worth it doing such a full animation test, for what's going to be 3D in the end
>>
>>2359647
Try making the part where he's holding the paper plane up a bit longer, it'll add more power to the throw.
>>
File: output_VcQQ5N.gif (293KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
output_VcQQ5N.gif
293KB, 1000x500px
animated some sexy kicks
>>
>>2368253
Too fast to see what's happening, but I guess that's the point
>>
>>2368253
cool
>>
>>2368253
suzaku is not sexy
>>
>>2368082
Love this.
>>
>>2368253
this doesnt look very good
>>
File: 1208274572316.gif (900KB, 423x238px) Image search: [Google]
1208274572316.gif
900KB, 423x238px
>>2368323
>sexy
>suzaku

it shouldn't
i did this in 10 min
>>
>>2368361
>it shouldn't i did this in 10 min
then what was the point on making it
If its a study work on it more.
>>
>>2368384
context:
I just wanted to know how the pose-to pose worked.
Additional passes wouldn't have been necessary in the context of this study.

I'm planning on making a game, but muh programmin' leaves a lot to be desired.
>>
Fuck, there was this thread a little while ago, that had The Song of the Sea in the op and was about god tier animated movies.

Anybody remember what it was? Got archive link? I ment to check out the suggestions but I didnt save it. fuck.
>>
Never posted here before but from what i have read you guys are brutal.

In college doing cs so this is just for fun but sometimes i make animations in the middle of the night

What do you guys think? I use a mouse cause no tablet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj6jwGqgfTA
>>
>>2368888
>quads

Lots of Blur's and tweens, since you don't have a tablet, your time will be used better if you practice special effects than actually attempting to animate with a mouse.
Either do traditional animation for the time being until you get a tablet, or improve on special effects.
>>
>>2368935
I will definitely admit to abusing the filters and tweens.
By traditional animation do you just mean frame by frame? Or real drawing on paper and painstakingly scanning every drawing in and tracing it?.

I'll play with special effects and come and post again in a few weeks.
Good luck with whatever you are working on
>>
>>2368945
>Or real drawing on paper and painstakingly scanning every drawing in and tracing it?.
Yes.
>>
>>2368945
You probably don't need to trace frames individually, you can process traditional linework with relative ease. Most tedious part would be scanning. Try it, man, play with a pad of sticky notes at least.
>>
>>2368436
dont post it if its not even tangible to see what the hell he's doing
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jov-GU1IdXk&feature=youtu.be
This is a story I recently made for a class.
>>
>>2369118
non of them are really animated. its pretty funny but can you actually animate them.
>>
>>2369128
I'm not animating this, sorry anon. But I am working on other projects with actual animations I'll be posting soon. I'm fairly new to animation, but I'm actually rather decent at it.
>>
File: le double entendre face.jpg (10KB, 204x247px) Image search: [Google]
le double entendre face.jpg
10KB, 204x247px
Who aspiring action animator here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV18kZIBBZA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPlSdns_n1E

The fact I need to understand realistic, idealized anatomy to a high level to just to get started seems brutal. I've been drawing for a while and I still haven't even begun practicing animation yet because I'm just not there yet ma famille.

Perhaps I should try and consolidate the two somehow? Practicing animation and anatomy at the same time?

...I feel like I just answered my own question, but if any of you have any suggestions or things you've done that worked for you I'm open to hearing about it.
>>
>>2368436
you didn't do it properly. it's not sexy. doing it in 10 minutes is not an excuse. don't post something shitty and then use lack of time invested as an excuse. at least put some effort into it. i don't see how you could learn anything from that since it's so difficult to even tell what's going on, let alone the quality of the drawing or the timing.

your attitude leaves a lot to be desired
>>
File: shrine11 (10).gif (8KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
shrine11 (10).gif
8KB, 180x180px
hey, anon. im kind of in a creative block here, so any ideas related to where i should go with this would be appreciated
>>
File: test1.gif (199KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
test1.gif
199KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>2369380
Here's my Anon pro tip for you:
Learn proper anatomy while animating Tube-humans (consisting of cylinders for the limbs and spheres for the joints)
This will greatly improve your sense of three dimensional space and you can practice all the principles of animation without having any knowledge of anatomy
>>
File: wiggly-cat.gif (242KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
wiggly-cat.gif
242KB, 500x500px
I didn't realize a simple animation was so hard. I respect animation more now.
>>
>>2369690
Animation? Looks like all you did was redraw the same frame twice.
>>
>>2369716
It's clearly got 3 frams dumpass
>>
>>2369716
>>2369719

To be fair, it's just a 3-frame traceback, not really an animation.
>>
>>2369719
Yeah, you redraw the same frame twice
1st draw + 1st redraw + 2nd redraw = 3 total drawn frames
ESL pls go
>>
>>2369245
well post those then!!!
>>
>>2369529
someone offers it a sacrifice and it glows or something? the shrine starting off all dark but then brightens like your pic?
>>
>>2360860
good form, i like it
>>
File: axe.gif (87KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
axe.gif
87KB, 800x450px
Practicing. I think i messed up the start, he should be leaning more into the swing. oh well i'll do better next time.
>>
File: animation.gif (225KB, 566x800px) Image search: [Google]
animation.gif
225KB, 566x800px
>>2369716
>>2369719
>>2369724
Ok I tried something for real this time.
>>
File: Spin.gif (108KB, 720x534px) Image search: [Google]
Spin.gif
108KB, 720x534px
Little rotation
>>
>>2372081
What is it doing?
>>
>>2367062

>>2372308
>>
>>2372081
now its 4 frames and still doing nothing
>>
File: pikmin.webm (157KB, 700x400px) Image search: [Google]
pikmin.webm
157KB, 700x400px
test test
>>
File: olimar2.webm (134KB, 700x400px) Image search: [Google]
olimar2.webm
134KB, 700x400px
>>2373052
testestetset
>>
>>2372308
finish it
>>
File: idk.gif (218KB, 353x500px) Image search: [Google]
idk.gif
218KB, 353x500px
>>
>>2367648
Where do you get something like this man? How much was it? I'm not particularly wealthy
>>
File: 1stani.gif (130KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1stani.gif
130KB, 600x400px
>>
File: mortymk3.gif (719KB, 625x546px) Image search: [Google]
mortymk3.gif
719KB, 625x546px
Morty's rig pretty much done.
>>
File: wip.png (20KB, 555x328px) Image search: [Google]
wip.png
20KB, 555x328px
how do I go about animating a dog's pant?
I feel like it the dog's head should rise up every time it pants, and I want the pant to be fast, but I don't want it to just be a quick jiggle right.

Is it just a basic squash and stretch motion? I'll try some thing, but I just dunno where to start with this
>>
File: butterman.gif (334KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
butterman.gif
334KB, 500x280px
did this last year
>>
Tvpaint or Toonboom?

Or is there not really much of a difference?
>>
>>2375819
Toonboom is an animation program with good art features.
TvPaint is a paint program with good animation features.
Toonboom's better overall.
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 86

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.