[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beginner thread

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 403
Thread images: 150

File: unknowncreatur1.jpg (1MB, 2048x1360px) Image search: [Google]
unknowncreatur1.jpg
1MB, 2048x1360px
Beginner Thread

Because we should not have to make new threads or post in draw threads with our fundamental exercises. Feel free to post even the smallest exercise you have done to show you are still trying, do not give up.

Do not forget to PLEASE RESIZE and crop your images before uploading them. 1kpx is fine.

→ → → → Before asking "what should I read/view/study/learn," Read the fucking sticky, it's there for a reason: >>1579290 → → → → → → → → → →

Questions go in the QUESTION THREAD
This is for posting studies & getting critique.

>Thread study: Try to draw/paint the opening or any other following images.
Feel free to post your original works as well if you're a baddie.

TRY TO BE MORE ACTIVE AND GIVE PEOPLE SOME FEEDBACK - many studies are left unreplied, which is a bit sad and can be quite demotivating for the people that try their best to improve, but are left directionless.

Respect those giving you advice and if you suck know that you'll never make it™.

Old thread: >>>2341131 → → →
>>
Post your work nose fucker
>>
File: albion princpe.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
albion princpe.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>2348862
>>
File: Girl_F13.jpg (245KB, 681x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Girl_F13.jpg
245KB, 681x1024px
>>2348865
ive posted my work so many times it isnt even funny anymore. just wait it out.
>>
File: Landscape13.jpg (2MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
Landscape13.jpg
2MB, 5472x3648px
>>2348867
>>
File: Beginner Eyes vs Brains.jpg (1MB, 1271x7339px) Image search: [Google]
Beginner Eyes vs Brains.jpg
1MB, 1271x7339px
>>2348868
>>
File: beginner eye part 2.jpg (325KB, 718x1041px) Image search: [Google]
beginner eye part 2.jpg
325KB, 718x1041px
>>2348869
i dont have the source and they are unrelated, if someone knows where this is from please say so as ive had 3 requests already.
>>
File: 011216 freebs resize.png (773KB, 1440x1200px) Image search: [Google]
011216 freebs resize.png
773KB, 1440x1200px
So this is more or less how i draw. What should I practice to get better?
>>
>>2348947
Perspective
>>
File: ddddd.jpg (1MB, 642x3300px) Image search: [Google]
ddddd.jpg
1MB, 642x3300px
my shapes are shit, but my lines are getting better
>>
>>2348947
this >>2348960
Try to draw poses from different angles, even better if from unusual angles.
>>
>>2348990
>>2348960
I never really understood how you are supposed to utilize perspective when it comes to figuredrawing (or anything else than box forms for that matter)
>>
>>2349006

Vilppu draws perspective lines in his figures near the end of his book AFAIK
>>
>>2349006
Should also check out Scott Robertson's How to Draw. He provides some neat exercises towards the end on how to use said methods taught in the book. These methods will train your eye in seeing things more clearly in perspective.

To continue with those exercises, you can get the book from Scott Rob's "draw cars the hot wheels way". Disregard the title, as the book is simply there provide exercises, but in a good way. Even if you're not interested in drawing silly toy cars, it'll give you insight on how to see things in perspective.
>>
>>2348966
what are you studying/reading?

Were any of those drawings exercises from a book?
>>
What is a good source for drawing skulls? I really want someone / something that can go into detail about the components of a skull and how they work together in terms of proportion. It really bugs me when tutorials gloss over a bunch of stuff. Yes, I can look at a skull but I feel that a combination of looking for myself and written instructions work best for me.
>>
File: chica2.png (140KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
chica2.png
140KB, 480x800px
First time painting with SAI, I spent almost the entire afternoon doing it, I hope I'll get faster in the future.
>>
File: pst.jpg (470KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
pst.jpg
470KB, 1280x960px
>>
>>2349518

You have a big plus from me for practicing with brushpen.
>>
>>2349528
ah, cool. those pens are the only thing I use. Almost done with the second sketchbook, atm.
>>
File: z1057f.png (120KB, 701x552px) Image search: [Google]
z1057f.png
120KB, 701x552px
>>
File: ssss.jpg (691KB, 880x1261px) Image search: [Google]
ssss.jpg
691KB, 880x1261px
>>2349417

im reading michael hampton figure drawing and a bit of loomis heads and hands
also watching vilppu videos, which btw are really amazing once you really listen to the man

some are exercises from the book and some are just trying to improve my shapes and lines
>>
File: file.png (232KB, 1258x883px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
232KB, 1258x883px
I need someone to tell me what the heck is making my heads so shitty. I've been looking at Loomis' method for heads, and I watched Proko's video on it as well. I just dont get it. I can draw a circle, but I can never get the side plane or the jaw to look right. One part always feels too wide, or too short, or some other problem.

I feel like a special ed kid trying to figure this out. I`m trying to get better at drawing from imagination, but everything I do without a reference looks like garbage.
>>
>>2349717
look at the mirror and check your face's shapes

heads aren't boba fett's helmet

those prisms are references/landmarks, not the actual head shape
>>
File: 3fb61220c4[1].png (86KB, 661x711px) Image search: [Google]
3fb61220c4[1].png
86KB, 661x711px
I've hit an odd stopping block.

I've been working with my tablet and with paper and I cant seem to get my positioning balls right. Its an important part of figuring out faces or getting direction and so on and I can feel like it isnt correct.

I've stopped at the first realistic face structure page in loomis and I havent been able to move forward. Is there anything to help remedy this?
>>
File: file.png (176KB, 656x357px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
176KB, 656x357px
>>2349741
>>2349741

I know im slow to catch on so thanks for bearing with me. I should have used the word prism instead of head.

I know they aren't actual head shape, what I mean is the prism feels wrong compared to loomis' prisms.

Like pic related, I'm trying to recreate what he drew from different angles and they all come out wrong. Should I stop trying to perfect the prism shape and start adding features to make it more head like instead? Should I focus on making a skull out of it? I've been trying to understand skulls as well. I feel like im just stuck and dont know what area to focus in.

I didn't want to move on to heads / skulls yet because I assume that if I can't get the prism right, the heads will be shitty too.
>>
File: file.png (164KB, 1099x711px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
164KB, 1099x711px
>>2349748

I tried another few but I dont feel like they are any better
>>
>>2349750
start drawing heads and build the prisms out of them, there you'll start to see what you're doing wrong and what you're doing right

imo the last heads are better, 6 I'd say is the most correct while 8 has the chin way too forward

again, those prisms are landmarks so you build your head upon them. if you've drawn enough heads you won't need the prisms and you'll be able to fix them on the go. I mean it's digital art it's not like you're inking stuff, use that to your advantage
>>
>>2349750

this is fine for a base, your realize you're going to be re drawing the face with ref until it looks correct yes ?
>>
how do i add perspective to figures?
>>
>>2349843
can you draw boxes in perspective? can you draw body parts in boxes? can you decompose body parts into boxes? GOOD LUCK.
>>
Know of any good tutorials on landscapes?
>>
>>2349985
I don't know to be honest. I mean I can draw boxes in perspective but the only time i did that shiz was in hs with that right side of the brain stuff 8ish yrs ago?

Would you recommend doing http://drawabox.com/ stuff or is there something better to practice with?
>>
Trying to get back into figure drawing. Just doing this for fun now but once I finish up my perspective stuff I'll try to jump on it.
>>
File: 7FUd16Z[1].jpg (753KB, 3264x2447px) Image search: [Google]
7FUd16Z[1].jpg
753KB, 3264x2447px
>>2350125
f-forgot pic.
>>
File: 01-13-16.png (834KB, 1280x904px) Image search: [Google]
01-13-16.png
834KB, 1280x904px
Getting worried that I won't be able to draw from imagination anymore. I've just been doing figure studies everyday. And I feel like I'm not getting any better.
>>
>>2349999
a lot of people have been talking about drawing people with basic shapes, but i like to do it with basic mass. you dont have to do draw a box. I would be more of a supporter of doing gesture and doing form studies.

Drawing boxes cant hurt, but i think draw a box is insane and inane ( im assuming youre drawing 100 boxes a day on the program?)
>>
>>2350140
Dont be worried, just keep in mind that the more you do studies, the more you're supposed to be learning and storing information about what you've studied. If you have been doing them efficiently, you would have so much more material in your knowledge to pull from whenever you do stuff from imagination.
Keep doing what you're doing, but i would also suggest to work on some imagination stuff on the side. Its important to apply the knowledge into work.
>>
File: compos1-6.jpg (3MB, 1920x4155px) Image search: [Google]
compos1-6.jpg
3MB, 1920x4155px
>>2350140
your fingers arent being defined mainly because youre drawing by comparing angles and distances like in
>>2348869
>>2348871
but you should rather concentrate on what they represent then getting them accurately.

>>2349988
you mean like this? If not, I got nothing.
>>
>>2350144
I dono what drawabox.com consists of desu. I saw it posted on one of the threads when talking about perspective but i was wondering if this was worth looking into if i want to learn perspective quickly and ideally adding perspective to my figures.
>>
>>2349817

Yes, thank you. I just wanted to make sure the base was correct before moving on. I also wanted to start drawing from imagination, so I'm always wondering how much I should use a ref, and how much I should try to break away and use memory.

>>2349814

I see, it's like doing the reverse. That's interesting I'll try it out. Thank you for the advice.
>>
I can't draw unless I'm in the zone. Does anyone know what I mean? I feel like it's part of the whole drawing with the right side of your brain motif.

The problem for me is how long it takes me to get into the zone and the frustration that builds up before hitting it. When I start trying to practice and whatnot, I get so discouraged because the stuff I sketch out comes out to be complete shit. It's only when I get into a certain mindset that I really feel like my art is significantly better, making sketching a much easier process.

I don't see artists online going through this wall every time they do a speedsketch/whatnot. Is this something you outgrow?
>>
>>2350319
Also adding on to this, but how do people actually improve? Do people really just draw from hundreds and hundreds of references and hope to build a large enough mental library? Fake it til you make it? Is repetition the source of creativity? If I can take the time to draw a bunch of references, will my art improve?

This is fucking with my head for some reason.
>>
File: 38947.png (298KB, 2271x2380px) Image search: [Google]
38947.png
298KB, 2271x2380px
>>2350127
>that thumbnail
>>
File: mugdraw.jpg (15KB, 342x257px) Image search: [Google]
mugdraw.jpg
15KB, 342x257px
>>2348862
>>
File: skirl copy.png (604KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
skirl copy.png
604KB, 533x800px
I'm very new to digital, and I could really use some pointers about how to paint on the computer
>>
>draw a circle
>can't
I've been doing these basic exercises for hours and I still can't draw a straight line over another or draw a fucking ellipsis. Is there any point in continuing? I know that improvement comes with practice but it was my understanding that these exercises are there for muscle memory and I don't think I want to memorize drawing it wrong, you know?
>>
>>2350457
>hours

Nigga, I had to try for weeks to be able to do it consistently. Welcome to art, faggut!
>>
>>2350460
Yeah, I wasn't implying that the time I put into this is enough to judge but the thought still crossed my mind. Like, what if I continue doing this -thing-, not necessarily these circles, whatever, wrong? And instead of moving forward I actually block paths in front of me by making my muscles remember all the times I'm doing wrong shit. Is this possible? Is this a thing?
>>
>>2350457
no human can a draw a perfect line or circle nigga.
we just draw the closest we can and improve it later

do you think artists have a fucking ruler arm or something
>>
>>2350462

I'm on your "level", but what I would advise is doing these things with ballpen and brushpen. Also read about these exercises, for example Scott Robertson clearly shows what's wrong and what isn't. Try consistently drawing angled ellipse of same width (also symmetrical along its axis). Then drawing inclined straight line and trying to draw on it ellipses that are orthogonal.

When doing straight lines, mix exercises - ghosting the lines, drawing as much lines crossing in one point etc., draw basic perspective with boxes for extra line exercise.

I did it for few days and I have to say I see improvement, am more consistent, also pen and brushpen taught me a bit about lineweight.

I mean, experiment, try different things. If you see that you are filling space with ellipses that tend to be inclined at familiar angle, change it to dramatically different one. Have fun with figuring stuff.

Also remember about locking your wrist and drawing with shoulder.

xoxoxo from other sucker
>>
File: monoliths.png (184KB, 450x345px) Image search: [Google]
monoliths.png
184KB, 450x345px
fucking textures, how do they work
>>
File: Canyon WIP.png (665KB, 1231x723px) Image search: [Google]
Canyon WIP.png
665KB, 1231x723px
Does anyone know how to fix the legs. I just can't seem to draw the legs in the right perspective. The stomach kind of looks weird as well.
>>
File: 1452619693907.png (452KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1452619693907.png
452KB, 1280x720px
>>2350472
reference
>>
File: 14.jpg (104KB, 439x1000px) Image search: [Google]
14.jpg
104KB, 439x1000px
Daily doondle.
>>
>>2350457
I don't mean to be "that guy", but drawabox.com has some great exercises on drawing basic shapes. You'll be able to get through lesson one in three days, one if you're really motivated.

I recommend going around twice when drawing a circle until you get the movement down, without lifting your pen. Or drawing another polygon (square, pentagon, triangle, whatever) and firstly drawing the circle so it passes through each point of your shape. After that, draw them on the inside of the shape.

Practice makes perfect though friend, as long as you're not chicken scratching or killing your neck.
>>
>>2350371
What do you mean?
>>
>>2350472
Draw those boxes in the chest and hip area and you'll see what's wrong

Work on your construction
>>
>>2350457
You have to draw from your shoulder to create an accurate circle, which is almost impossible digitally unless you have a large tablet.
>>
>>2350476
Learn to draw before you post in this special thread.
You must read words to learn to draw lines.
Sticky, Loomis, etc.
Blog?
>>
File: hju25koyk.jpg (600KB, 1828x756px) Image search: [Google]
hju25koyk.jpg
600KB, 1828x756px
How do you do poses that are at an angle properly? I tried doing a gesture drawing of pic related but I couldn't get the angle of the torso right so I resorted to drawing shapes and employing the barebones perspective knowledge I have. I still don't know how to get the arms right due to the fact that point inwards and meet in the middle.It kind of looks strange at this angle.

I realized a lot of poses on those pose websites are directly facing one direction so it's kinda easy to draw the gesture for.
>>
>>2350530
Looking at my drawing on the computer now that I look at it there's a lot of mistakes I can see. I suppose that's one benefit of a tablet. You can easily spot errors due to the fact that you can compare the images on the same "surface".
>>
>buy some Polychromos
>they work like shit on newsprint

Fuck me.
>>
>>2350527
Worked through Fun with a Pencil, Successful drawing (up to value that's still a mystery), Norling's and Robertson's perspective books.
Now going through Hampton slowly and trying to apply what I've learnt of gesture and construction to drawing from imagination. Is hard as fuck though.
I'm going to eventually get to Loomis' Figure Drawing to get my fill of proportions. I know the order's bad, but I started with Hampton for gesture and kind of stuck with it.

Haven't drawn in a while now, and trying to get back on track with daily drawing. Been actually going on since the new year and I'm intent on continuing. On days I can't devote the time to do a full study, I try to at least get a small doodle done from imagination, which is that post was.

>You must read words to learn to draw lines.
Yeah, but if ic has taught me anything, it's that I won't learn to draw _just_ by reading or _just_ by studying references.

Also, I'm all for praising our lord and saviour Loomis, but simply parroting his name without offering concrete advice isn't actually as helpful as you might think it to be, anon.
>>
File: 1452789596869.jpg (102KB, 914x378px) Image search: [Google]
1452789596869.jpg
102KB, 914x378px
>>2350530
>>2350533
watch some proke figure videos. thats a horibble way to construct a figure. where have you ever seen a torso that has the proportions of a fucking mint box? anyways, check how things line up, measure proportions/ratios, if you need to. what really helped me a lot with figure is checking your negative space. check out the pic. the red lines show negative space and how to use it to check your construction out lines, the blue lines are to give ideas of things to check to see how they measure up
>>
>>2349717
>>2349750
those boba fett t-visor check things your doing arent even in loomis. at this point. from there get rid of them and they look better also some of your circles are off pretty bad. to the point where youre giving them deformed ayy lmao skulls. for example head 7 has a bunch of extra skull on the bottom where he connects to his neck. skull 8 has extra face so his jaw will end up protruding like some chimp
>>
>>2350569
>those boba fett t-visor check things your doing arent even in loomis. at this point. from there get rid of them

Stop giving advice.
>>
>>2350541
Robertson's perspective book?

Link?
>>
>>2350319

It's the same with any other practiced skill, from music to street fighter, etc. Your best is as good as your worst, and you're going to have peaks and valleys. All you can do is force yourself to draw through the shitty times and get to a point where your 'worst' becomes tolerable.
>>
>>2350537

Everything works like shit on newsprint, its only benefit is how cheap it is.

Get strathmore bristol or stonehenge
>>
repost from question thread :

what do you guys find harder to draw, heads or hands?
i've spent the last 5 months learning heads, and for the past 2 weeks i've been doing hands exclusively and it's hard to tell why people say hands are harder than drawing a face. i can't see myself spending 5 months to get to the same competence as i am at with faces
>>
>>2350620
Graphite, charcoal, and carbothello pastels work great on newsprint.

>strathmore bristol or stonehenge

top kek. Have fun going broke long before you git gud.
>>
>>2350530
you need to work on your shapes man
drawing simple cubes and cylinders until they give you a 3d feel
>>
>>2350653

They work fine on newsprint, but there's better paper to use them on. I have three huge pads of newsprint I do graphite and charcoal studies on, not saying it's bad or anything, it's great to have.

If you're going to use pencil crayons properly you need a good paper that will take the layers of color and won't go to shit. Same with any other medium. Strathmore isn't all that expensive as long as you're not wasting it like a retard, and Stonehenge is just a good paper for them, costs aside. You don't necessarily have to do everything on just that paper, just saying that's what you'll get the best results with if you want to do a nice finished piece.
>>
>>2350127
I'm this guy. Do you guys think Hampton would be the way to go? I've heard good things about him but I also have the vilppu videos so I'm not sure where to start.
>>
File: wtf.jpg (298KB, 1000x778px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
298KB, 1000x778px
Okay guys, I always get stuck after do a simple draw like that. How can I improve my "mid" to final work? Thanks
>>
File: 1447359849166.png (211KB, 513x408px) Image search: [Google]
1447359849166.png
211KB, 513x408px
the sticky is killing me, i hate focused "study" which isn't very creative..

how good can i get from just painting from reference whatever i like, slightly stylized? will i plateau on things like construction or can you just pick this up from reference and common sense?
>>
>>2350931
As long as you get away from the initial symbol drawing, you'll eventually get good. It'll just take longer.
>>
File: fucking creepy smile.jpg (151KB, 816x612px) Image search: [Google]
fucking creepy smile.jpg
151KB, 816x612px
>>2350779
i really recommend vilppu videos, but Hampton does elaborate on some really crucial things

you can really combine the two

you can go through Hampton pdf realy fast, it contains many pages of sketchs explaining the subject
>>
>>2350936
thanks, thats fine by me, i'm passion drive to a fault. can work for days on shit i love, and barely an hour on forced study

any things you think are unskippable? i'll probably finish right side of brain because its genius
>>
File: loomiksenvoima.png (628KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
loomiksenvoima.png
628KB, 1000x1000px
Studying loomis. Finally getting hang of construction.
>>
>>2350956
right side of brain has alot of unnecessary bullshit.
Bert Dodson - keys to drawing is much better.
>>
>>2350603
https://designstudiopress.com/product/how-to-draw/

I'm sure if you look around ic, you'll find a pdf somewhere..
>>
>>2350958
good shit
>>
>>2350958
Looking really good. You give me strength I won't be shit for long.
>>
>>2350603
>>2350963
https://mega.nz/#F!es1BSKQR!spODyd0iaQmMelGA2GscFw!f8cG3QAK
>>
File: thisgirl.jpg (36KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
thisgirl.jpg
36KB, 720x1280px
after a month in here I feel the improve now I draw girls with male bodies
>>
>>2350956
Imho everything can be learned as you go along, for example you start to like drawing people but you will have trouble doing legs you can open up a book about anatomy learn just about legs so you can draw them and then go on, and bit by bit as you learn stuff you need for what you are drawing at the moment you will fill out your knowledge, might be slower than focused study but as long as you don't draw only one thing forever, you should be able to learn everything you need.
>>
>>2350991
>photo taken with potato
>dark as shit
>LINED FUCKING PAPER

end yourself
>>
>>2350965
>>2350968
Thanks guys. Study hard
>>
>>2351000

>being in a well-lighted room
>having money to afford a good camera
>wasting white paper in your shitty drawings

NO U
>>
>>2350940
Alright cool thanks anon
>>
>>2350991
its because the shoulders are too wide, you either have to have narrow shoulders or wide hips to make it look female. V shape is as male as male can be
>>
>>2350558
ahh, hmm alright. Well I initially tried constructing the figure but as mentioned I got confused with the angle of the figure and I couldn't construct the torso without going back and drawing it as a shape. I guess I'll take a look at Proko again, I'm half put off his videos because they seemed a bit advanced or have a lot of assumed knowledge.

>>2350656
Yeah it's kind of on my bucket list but there's a lot I need to learn. Only really worked with boxes in perspective and spheres for the head.

Thanks anons
>>
File: dsakdnsa.png (28KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
dsakdnsa.png
28KB, 657x527px
>>2351016
>Wasting money
>White paper

How fucking poorfag are you? It's like 2 cents a fucking sheet. What are you posting this from? The library computer? Just borrow some of their paper.

I honestly don't know what to say to you if Printer Paper is the source of your monetary concerns.
>>
>>2351399
You can get it even cheaper than that. I literally just bought 500 sheets of white paper for 3 shekels on a discount in a supermarket. Every fag who draws on a lined paper is fucking retarded.
>>
>>2351016
>>wasting white paper in your shitty drawings

nigga are you for fucking real? You can get literally hundreds of sheets for the price of a coffee.
>>
>>2351399
>$10 for 8x11 printer paper

Fuck that nonsense. You can get a ream of 18x24 newsprint for $15.
>>
>>2351016
>$5 for 500 pages
>>
>>2351016
>>2351016
by putting literally any attempt at drawing upon a plain white piece of paper you are RAISING its value from 2 cents to that of at least a dollar.

if you can't sell a shitty drawing for a dollar you don't deserve to have hands.
>>
>>2350457
dude its alright, for a lot of people it takes years to even develop the muscle memory to draw a perfect circle or even a good one so dont worry about making progress quickly

these exercises arent something you just zone out of and youll magically see improvement just from doing it consistently

you need to consciously make the effort to create a good circle every single time you do it.
>>
>>2350530
Hmmm first of all: draw from the elbow. Loosen up, you are trying to reverse engineer the shape instead of feelin' it. Draw big, fucked up figures and refine. Check negative spaces, try flippin' both the drawing and the reference so you can see. Also, spend more time looking at the figura than at the drawing during early stages and don't draw with your sketchbook at an angle or 2 inches from your face. That's for details, for big gestural shapes you have a better chance of nailin' it if you have some distance. The whole, man, not the parts.
>>
File: 1452739862184.gif (2MB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
1452739862184.gif
2MB, 250x188px
>>2348869
Holy shit tutorial-kun where you have been all this time?
>>
File: teresa.jpg (279KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
teresa.jpg
279KB, 2000x2000px
stopped drawing 4 years ago...

i took out my tablet again...

so... fix me pls so i don't draw ever again
>>
>>2351878
sorry, 6 years ago lol

This is the last drawing i made before quitting
>>
File: 12501710_p0.jpg (736KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
12501710_p0.jpg
736KB, 2000x2000px
>>2351880
THIS was the last drawing i made before quitting,it didn't upload lol
>>
>>2351881

You know, I could rant about not knowing anatomy, proportion, perspective, basic construction, making flat drawings with no volume and polishing turd with your rendering (that stil is nothing to brag about), but why should I do that? You already know what not to do. Drawing that is.
>>
File: z1048g.png (122KB, 981x517px) Image search: [Google]
z1048g.png
122KB, 981x517px
>>
>>2351881
Then quit. I started drawing since last year and havent stopped once. My drive is solely based on the attention i got to my art. Here check this shit out
>>
>>2351713
that's an interesting take. When I tried drawing raw it looked like total shit though. It feels like I need to a boatload of anatomy in order to get it accurate but from the videos I've read most gesture drawings are basically glorified stick figures at the beginning until details are blocked in.

But yeah I think you may be on to something, I spent ages refining the image and it's still off.
>>
File: Highasfucklion.jpg (358KB, 1500x896px) Image search: [Google]
Highasfucklion.jpg
358KB, 1500x896px
Trying to get better with form using a plaster cast and some good old cross contours.

>>2350958
Loomis on elämä, Loomis on rakkautta.
>>
>>2351742
every single beginner thread for the past month. This jpg is an iteration of another one that i modified slightly and cleaned up. Overall this has probably been posted near 20 times on 4chan in the past 6 months.
>>
File: youdied.gif (1MB, 234x154px) Image search: [Google]
youdied.gif
1MB, 234x154px
>>2351950
>not drawing for yourself
your drive is going to run out if you only draw for attention desu
>>
Would love a crit on this. I know the face is dogshit, is it because the lips are too low?
>>
File: image1.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image1.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>2352153
Whoops, forgot picture.
>>
File: image1.jpg (397KB, 800x1066px) Image search: [Google]
image1.jpg
397KB, 800x1066px
>>2352156
Shit, sorry. Resized.
>>
How do you measure the correct proportions of a model sitting down?
>>
File: Grid(1).png (2MB, 4000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
Grid(1).png
2MB, 4000x4000px
idk
>>
>>2351399
>>2351429
>>2351531
>>2351537

I was just fucking with the guy I wasn't serious. I have packs of white paper but I don't see a reason to use them if I have two notebooks laying around and I'm just practicing my sketches that are still rookie tier I have to use them for something or they'll end up in the trash with no use I'll be using white paper for sure it's not like I can't afford white paper or prefer lined paper over it
>>
File: test.jpg (473KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
test.jpg
473KB, 1600x1200px
I tried the upside down thing for the first time
>>
File: 1452882228063.png (135KB, 1390x649px) Image search: [Google]
1452882228063.png
135KB, 1390x649px
Someone told me the back was broken but I figured it was fine because it's stylized.
>>
File: 1438893711997.jpg (58KB, 618x522px) Image search: [Google]
1438893711997.jpg
58KB, 618x522px
sticky seems gay as fuck

as long as i analyze what i'm studying, don't symbol draw and look things up as i go, cant i just wing it?

seems critical thinking and the ability to learn as you go would be far more important than trying to stick to some rigid rules that are almost a "new form of symbol drawing". ie: another crutch that dulls your ability to really understand/analyze what you're trying to capture on paper (loomis drawings look like lifeless garbage desu)
>>
File: rambchop2.png (116KB, 1203x628px) Image search: [Google]
rambchop2.png
116KB, 1203x628px
>>
File: 20160115_172933.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160115_172933.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
How do I into hair? Please help.
>>
File: supergirl.png (96KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
supergirl.png
96KB, 512x512px
Art of Superman's would-be daughter from Injustice

Please point out any mistakes.
>>
File: z1058.png (22KB, 701x552px) Image search: [Google]
z1058.png
22KB, 701x552px
>>
>>2352690
nope. just learn the fundamentals, you'll thank yourself later
>>
>>2352564
yeah it stylized but her hips so far back that her spine snapped andddd her neck doing some exorcist shit. she dead nikka
>>
>>2352711
it's existence for one.
>>
>>2352737

If you're going to be an ass at least say something constructive.
>>
>>2352711
dont foreshorten what should be compressed (eyes)
>>2352690
Yes, independent of all memes, youll eventually learn if you put enough time in it.
It might not be as effective, or it may be more effective as you draw more because you enjoy it more.
>>
Any tips for me?
I am >>2352413
>>
>>2352734
But it's stylized so it doesn't matter. That's what stylization is.
>>
>>2352794

Stylized or not it looks retarded. But people who immediately go "but it's stylized" as a shield against critique are the sorts that won't fix it anyway.
>>
>>2352757
>dont foreshorten what should be compressed (eyes)

What do you mean by this? Please elaborate.
>>
>>2352734
The neck is what is standing out to me the most
>>
>>2352690

You can wing it but it'll be slower going.

Don't reinvent the wheel, anon. Tutorials were created by people who solved / were told how to solve all the problems you're inevitably going to face. Do yourself a favor and when you run into trouble / someone tells you you're shit at something, read up on that thing.
For the rest, sure, wing it. Make your own path based on what your goals are, you don't need to obey everything Lord Loomis tells you and live by the strictures of Master Vilppu, but don't be a stubborn shit who can't be bothered to take instruction as and when needed.

And no, learning construction and shit isn't a "new form of symbol drawing", you've probably seen too many retards copy his cartoon faces thinking they get it. The point of Loomis isn't to draw the same way Loomis does, it's to learn how to plan and construct a drawing.
>>
>>2352799
I refuse to explain. I've already explained.
>>
>>2352800
>>2352798
Well in the stylization thread there were quite a few people who agreed with me. Are you saying all those people are wrong?
>>
How do I learn to shade with a pencil? Do I need to find myself a razor and scrape it away so I can hold it sideways?
>>
File: usususususus.jpg (276KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
usususususus.jpg
276KB, 1280x960px
trying to learn some construccion drawing, how am i doing?
>>
>>2352153
>>2352158
You know the biggest problem?
Imperial Fists

But in all seriousness it's not bad, I think it looks a bit flat though
>>
>>2352425
lined paper isn't meant for drawing, it's designed for ball point pens. It's too soft and no one wants to see lines.

Just stop being a fag and use printer paper. If you don't mind a rougher surface then go buy a sketchbook.
>>
>>2352870
to be blunt it looks terrible, use more simple shapes, look up some gesture drawing basics and learn how to find the important lines in the figure. The one on the right looks especially awful, like you stacked the shapes on top of each other.

Go study the basics of the hand too. the fuck is that
>>
>>2352707

Any help on this?
>>
File: tumblr_o0b66qyH7l1todygmo1_1280.jpg (268KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o0b66qyH7l1todygmo1_1280.jpg
268KB, 1280x960px
>>2352892
drawing people using figures is kinda difficult, animals are somewhat okay, but i have never done it with people, what i generally do when i draw is to draw and amorphous shape and keep going until something appears. do you have any book recomendations for constructive drawing, so far i have been flying solo :/
>>
>>2352914
>>2352707
I'm begginer but i'm sure proko will be useful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHewz3JbKrQ
>>
File: oooooooooo.jpg (200KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
oooooooooo.jpg
200KB, 1280x960px
>>2352917
forgot to put the animal
>>
>>2352917
Well this is construction not symbol drawing.
that's why your drawings looks so bad, but i recommend you (apart of the book) to copy each part of the body in different angles and perspectives.
http://alexhays.com/loomis/
>>
>>2352917
A good way to practice is to use quickposes.com

try quickly sketching a whole heap of timed poses, and then come back and construct the figure.

To get some tips on construction, look up micheal hampton - Figure drawing design and invention. It get pretty technical but you might find some techniques useful.
>>
My creativity is DEAD tonight. However, my drawing skills seem to be greater than ever (for my standards, that is). Can someone here give me a vague fantasy character description or an internet generator for those kinds of things so I can draw something? this would be my first finished digital piece by the way, I recently purchased a tablet. So I just need a character, not a situation or anything complicated, just a very vague character category or description.
>>
File: ayyhand.png (87KB, 322x498px) Image search: [Google]
ayyhand.png
87KB, 322x498px
>>2352892
lmao how pretentious do you have to be to think people who have the slight interest in art draw hands like this?
I mean yeah, I'm shit at art but holy shit, this is the everyone-is-shit-except-for-me mentality.
>>
File: 011516 perspective practice.png (912KB, 2549x2391px) Image search: [Google]
011516 perspective practice.png
912KB, 2549x2391px
So i was told to add perspective to my figures is this what they meant? Also how do i know where the perspective is in a figure? so far im making it up with 2 point perspective but how do i know what it actually is? Is this correct at all or no.
>>
>>2352959
why not go to the tower girl thread and pick one of those out?
>>
>>2352959
look up "folji idea generator da" on google, first link, deviantart
>>
>>2352959
Draw a non-moe-uuguu magical girl
>>
>>2352503
they make a digital etch-a-sketch?
>>
>>2348862
I have a simple question:
When people say "draw with the arm and not the wrist/fingers", do they mean draw with the arm always? Are you supposed to practice drawing long and short lines with the arm, or does this apply only to long lines?
>>
>>2353026
No, that would be fucking stupid. So don't worry, they mean only long lines.

...right?
>>
just a little thing i started working on, they're supposed to be tails
>>
File: arapaima.jpg (360KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
arapaima.jpg
360KB, 1000x600px
Hey beginnerfriends. I'm back with an earlier wip. this turned out different then my thumbnail, I added and subtracted a few things that fit better thematically. I'm just making sure all my bases are cover for the time being before I move on, especially the composition. Anything else off that you see would be really appreciated. thank you friends
>>
File: a.jpg (32KB, 626x583px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
32KB, 626x583px
guy
>>
File: whatisdotttt.jpg (298KB, 1575x955px) Image search: [Google]
whatisdotttt.jpg
298KB, 1575x955px
>>
>>2353120
I like it. One thing that would add more depth is a distance fog ie. make the further away things less saturated.
>>
>>2353136
Don't use a custom brush in the beginning, grind those fundamentals. Your picture has a hint of composition, but you should probably learn proper perspective since everything looks flat.
And if you still want to use custom brushes despite everyone's advice, at least make sure they're in scale. From this image, the "grass" looks way too big to be grass on a field, making it look really natural. In fact, there are better, quicker ways of doing grass that doesn't look so obviously custom brushed in, but again, you would need to know your fundamentals first.
>>
>>2353120
You might want to look up about the 1-2-3 read in composition, as your background is way too saturated and distracting to the main subject (which is what exactly? the fish? the castle? Both?) Also make sure you know where your horizon lines and vanishing point is, and stick to it. (don't know what those words mean? read up on them)
>>
>>2353045
>>2353026

basically, your wrist pivots in a circle. If you draw short lines, your finger movement can compensate for this curvature. but after a certain length your fingers alone would not be able to compensate and you'll end up chicken scratching to keep the line straight or your lines would end up curved. As such, when drawing medium-long lines, it is advised to use your arm/elbow, since they have a larger radius and thus it will be easier to compensate for the curvature.
>>
File: 15.jpg (213KB, 1000x704px) Image search: [Google]
15.jpg
213KB, 1000x704px
Oh man. Still so much stuff to learn.
>>
>>2353176
You got the position of the legs wrong. Look at the negative space between them. Also note how the heel of the left foot is actually suppose to be behind the line of the back instead of in line with the back. In an image like this, you want to get those negative spaces right. They'll guide you true.
>>
How to go about that feeling of being stuck? I've been doing drawabox.com exercises, and for the most part it feels like a chore...with mindfuck in between. Any other way to learn those wretched fundamentals?
>>
>>2352972
yes

simple just use box(as you did on some if the figures) as a tool to determine if you look up or down on the figure

you will need to use 2 point most of the time and sometimes 3 if the figure is really foreshortened.
example of 1 point is if you look at the figure from the side or face it forward
you can use loomis figure drawing pdf, there is a perspective tool right at the first pages

your left bottom is fine

>>2353176
i would recommend you do some gesture exercises
watch proko videos

>>2353191
if you feel doing exercises is becoming a chore, then stop and do some drawing for fun

if it becomes a negative thing in your mind you may lose the desire to draw.
take a break, watch some painting or drawing of people who inspire you and go back to studying
>>
File: 1448214556132.jpg (171KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1448214556132.jpg
171KB, 1280x1024px
>>2348862
Is drawing like running, where if you don't do it for a couple months you'll lose all progress earned?
>>
>>2352816
What's the difference between foreshortening and compressing? Like, isn't foreshortening achieved through compression?
>>
>>2353271
no, but this is useless knowledge, because you shouldnt be doing that anyway
>>2353284
foreshortening is dual compression
>>
>>2353271
Ye but just like with running you get the hang of it much faster if you done it before, you learn to draw again even faster.
>>
How do I go drawing the head with a skull as the base. For that matter how do I even draw a skull it's much more convoluted than Loomis' techniques and he also goes about saying that the skull is important and then gets confusing at the skull.
>>
>>2353261
thank you so much. ill be sire to check out loomis so far o havent actually studied anything besides a couple of times ive failed at studies. and since i wasnt super beginner i wasnt sure where to start.
>>
File: Ichigo_Bleach-1-1.jpg (409KB, 1980x1319px) Image search: [Google]
Ichigo_Bleach-1-1.jpg
409KB, 1980x1319px
>>2353191
>>2353261

Drawing for fun, hmmm, I've done those years ago when I didn't bother about fundamentals nor had I known any. (The image is what last thing i've drawn for fun 2 or maybe 3 years ago, can't recall) The "beginner friendly" books like keys to drawing or DoTRSoB I don't like at all. I'm fine with observation(I think so at least), the technique is crap.

I did a few studies from loomis books and hampton books but with both of them I'm stuck. Loomis on rectangular face planes, hampton on gesture. Both of those I don't understand.
>>
Beginner here. My main intention with drawing is to draw cartoons (but I want to draw all styles). Ive been practicing realistic stuff lately because I feel that cartoons need a realistic reference in order to make them work.

Ive been given some suggestions by art friends for what to practice. One suggested blind contours, in order to get my hand-eye coordination stronger. Another suggested figure drawing, as a way to capture the motion of the moment (because that is what cartoons are all about. I didnt fully understand this before. Blew my mind).

Also my construction skills are flabby as well. I like what I see in Loomis but I dont want to follow his method to a T, I feel that my drawings would become more rigid if I followed a strict method.

My main struggle at the moment is balancing out all of these different methods of drawing. Do you guys have any advice?
>>
File: contursketch.jpg (58KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
contursketch.jpg
58KB, 480x640px
>>2353401
Here's a drawing I drew yesterday. This was mostly contour, just following the lines. I am going to re-draw this today with construction as the main focus.
>>
>>2353401
Well at least your mindset is as good as it gets.

Read through Keys to Drawing or Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain for contour drawing. It's pretty basic but at least it gives you a solid start. Do the exercises, ignore all pseudo science.

I'd recommend going through Loomis' figure drawing anyway for the foundation. Don't worry about getting "stuck" with his rigid style, that's not how it works. After you've got a solid foundation check out Vilppu.
>>
Trying to do some perspective drawing and I run into this problem:
My vanishing points run off the page on the horizon line. Digitally this isnt a big problem since I can always increase the size of the canvas but how do I solve this when working traditionally?
>>
>>2353401
>>2353416
Go look through anatomy books and study external muscles. Watch some of Vilppu's video tutorials on construction and anatomy. Maybe even watch dance routine videos so you can study movement and not just static poses that -seem- like movement.
>>
>>2353440
>>2353426
Thanks all, I appreciate the advice.
>>
wtf need help
>>
File: 11.png (3MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
11.png
3MB, 3000x2000px
>>2353476
>>
>>2353479

Try rendering basic geometric forms, such as sphere cylinder etc.
>>
File: horse.jpg (50KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
horse.jpg
50KB, 720x960px
Drew this horse a while ago. The top part is the unfinished mane which makes it look like a hippo.
>>
Is Keys to Drawing a good place to start learning how to draw cartoons?

I want to make animations or just pictures where I can make things look cool.
>>
>>2353428
Tape some newsprint/extra paper to the sides of your main sheet and extend the lines onto them.
>>
File: image.jpg (94KB, 544x804px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94KB, 544x804px
I have been trying to draw from some magazines lately, I know that line quality is not great because of my pencil and that the hands are messed up but does anyone have any idea on how to improve? Should I study anatomy?
>>
>>2353585
You got something with a less boring pose? These kinda figures are hard to judge since telling you stuff like, idk, studying cloth and applying light sources would be too soon for you and there's not a whole lot you can do wrong construction wise if it's just a static, standing figure.
>>
>>2353604
I am a starter with realistic drawing so I want to know if I draw proportions right before jumping into poses and lightning, should I do poses now? If yes can you attach some example poses? Thanks!
>>
File: 89dfsg45.jpg (181KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
89dfsg45.jpg
181KB, 1600x1200px
>>2353169
cool thanks
I havent drawn a lot since I was like a kid and I'm 22 so I'm really in beginner mode here. Tablet stuff is new to me too but I was wondering if I should be practicing on that or on paper? Or if it even matters?
>>
File: 1-15-2016.png (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1-15-2016.png
1MB, 3840x2160px
So I recently got a shitty drawing tablet, and even with pencil I can't draw a straight line, so I've been practicing drawing lines, curves, etc, every day for 3 days, and been practicing drawing drapes for 2. What else should I do?

Pic related is yesterday's line practice.
>>
File: 1-15-2016 drapes.png (153KB, 735x608px) Image search: [Google]
1-15-2016 drapes.png
153KB, 735x608px
>>2353680

And pic related are the past two drapes. As you can see, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
>>
>>2353479
Stop drawing symbols, don't shade with black
>>
>>2353518
bretty good
>>
File: grapes.jpg (383KB, 875x1250px) Image search: [Google]
grapes.jpg
383KB, 875x1250px
>>
>>2353717
Get out of the beginner thread.
Also blog? (no meme pls)
>>
>>2353727
Prety sure this picture isnt way out of the beginner leauge.
>>
>>2353751
You're kidding me. Look at those colors and values; even though the picture isn't fully rendered, it's clear that this guy knows what he's doing. Example: look at the center of the picture. Notice the blues, reds, magentas, and yellowish-greens on the grapes? Those are purple grapes. A beginner would paint a purple grape with purples and blues, but this guy is detecting the more subtle colors and drawing them out. Even if he is just a "beginner" (i.e., he just started painting or whatever), he's way too advanced for a thread of this caliber.
Unless he simply can't render. If he actually can't render, then he should stick around a while longer.
>>
Is it normal if I love more my eraser than my pencil?
>>
File: Unbenannt-1.png (891KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Unbenannt-1.png
891KB, 3000x2000px
>>2353479
I-Is this better?
>>
File: Man_R20.png (590KB, 500x639px) Image search: [Google]
Man_R20.png
590KB, 500x639px
>>2353784
what do you think skin color is light in black and white mate. stop using soft brushes.
>>
>>2353809
>Nose Bro Unlimited
damn haha
but thanks bud.
>>
File: aaaa.jpg (2MB, 960x3413px) Image search: [Google]
aaaa.jpg
2MB, 960x3413px
>>2353387
if you are feeling stuck with hampton and loomis, then you should try other guides

vilppu videos are may be long but teaches alot on form and shapes and "feeling" the drawing

proko have a short videos who try to best explain all kinds of concepts, for instance "gesture" and the various ways of expressing it

good luck
>>
>>2353843
is this your work? Do you have a tumblr?
>>
>>2353845
are you samefagging, laughing at him, misslinked?
>>
File: hvfjghv.jpg (582KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
hvfjghv.jpg
582KB, 1280x720px
how do i into form i just keep gesturing without reference.
>>
File: tumblr_o12hfyt11J1tirh5to1_1280.jpg (122KB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o12hfyt11J1tirh5to1_1280.jpg
122KB, 1280x768px
Welp. Not that happy with this, didn't have much time either. The eyes are so hard.
>>
>>2353861
no im being serious, i know this guy isn't of super high calibur, but i feel like hes pretty close to my own level, i wanna follow him and maybe talk to him a bit.
>>
>>2353922
give him your skype so you can e-fuck <3
>>
>>2353905
is that Dick van Dyke in swaddling clothes
>>
File: meg.png (306KB, 857x635px) Image search: [Google]
meg.png
306KB, 857x635px
Ok, came from draw thread, to the alternative, then to here.

Want to be friends?
>>
File: 1439151933479.png (120KB, 346x250px) Image search: [Google]
1439151933479.png
120KB, 346x250px
>>2352693
I don't understand. Are you studying a cartoon instead of a real model?
>>
>>2354018
First, for the next year, never ever use a soft brush ever again.
also, outlines are important. use layers to manage color and lines. work on making correct line art before coloring, and when you color, work on value before hue. try Krita or MediBang Paint Pro, they're free and better than MS Paint. MediBang in particular has decent anti-aliasing, which will help your line art be smooth.
>>
File: toothless_gramma.png (247KB, 1185x785px) Image search: [Google]
toothless_gramma.png
247KB, 1185x785px
/scribble/ as shit because my mouse is fucked
no reference, old people are weird
>>
>>2352824
Stylization crosses a line when the liberties taken distract from the image itself. You've crossed that line.
>>
File: bandit_by_sidwill_cg_d8qsar4.jpg (87KB, 800x1091px) Image search: [Google]
bandit_by_sidwill_cg_d8qsar4.jpg
87KB, 800x1091px
>>2352794
Stylization is an exaggeration of reality, not a disregard for it.

And as a beginner style should be the last of your worries, you need to grind fundamentals

Got to learn the fundamentals before you break em and all that.
>>
mr sheep
>>
File: 1437517370180.jpg (185KB, 555x739px) Image search: [Google]
1437517370180.jpg
185KB, 555x739px
>>2354010
WELP. i thought it at least looked like a kid. thanks...
>>
File: pencil_portraits_mmmppp03.jpg (50KB, 292x400px) Image search: [Google]
pencil_portraits_mmmppp03.jpg
50KB, 292x400px
>>2354133
it doesn't look completely terrible, but babies and children have much rounder heads, comparatively larger eyes, and small round noses that wouldn't be as long as the one you drew. as far as shading, perhaps try crosshatching to get your point across before you try blending. blending without a full understanding of shading tends to make things look muddy.
>>
File: New Canvas.png (594KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
New Canvas.png
594KB, 1200x1200px
First time paint

please bully me
>>
File: 1321321123.jpg (120KB, 750x643px) Image search: [Google]
1321321123.jpg
120KB, 750x643px
I'm on day 4 of ever drawing anything more than stick figures.

I just have my picture on one monitor(randomly chosen each day) and draw with a shitty tablet on the other.

This is how I'm going to learn how to draw. I don't plan on drawing anything more than cute anime girls.

I'm wondering how inefficient / stupid of an idea this is to improve at being good.
>>
>>2354199
Even if your objective is to draw anime girls you should learn the fundamentals, most mangaka and animators know these.
>>
File: alitawhat.jpg (58KB, 1000x769px) Image search: [Google]
alitawhat.jpg
58KB, 1000x769px
Sorry aboot lines, I don't much digitally.
>>
>>2354199
>I'm wondering how inefficient / stupid of an idea this is to improve at being good.

If your goal is to effectively copy other people's drawings you'll learn pretty quick, otherwise you should do your time with the basics and actually learn to draw.
Studies are fine but it shouldn't be the only thing you do.
>>
>>2354267
Battle angel alita? sick.
My highschool teacher actually got me into this manga. Really freaking cool no lie.
>>
>>2354278
yeah man, I love that shit. CBA to get into Last Order and Mars Chronicle though.
>>
>>2354199
There's a chance this would work but you'd be better off pairing it with studying basic stuff. I'd say there are people who learned by copying but it's better to do that when you're significantly closer to the cradle than the grave, and even then those people typically end up studying fundies before they're recognized as gud.
>>
>>2354197
not awful, don't be afraid to make your dark colours very dark. also top decoration looks slightly out of place, as if it's just floating there, and the perspective is a bit off. I would also recommend ditching the streaks of yellow on the helmet or making them lighter because they're the same value as the blueish grey colour and it is just sort of meh.
>>
File: z1057g.png (40KB, 785x519px) Image search: [Google]
z1057g.png
40KB, 785x519px
>>
>>2354325
>wot's it supposed to be m8
also it bugs me how the black negative space within the red part isn't a perfect rectangle
>>
>>2354325
aren't you supposed to be shilling your art to a jew right now
>>
>>2354303
Thank you for the advice.
i'm doing it slowly because i don't know the direction.
>>
>>2354339
i don't know what it is, reminds me flag, if i had to be petentious i'd say that i'm trying to understand how perfection(tha patterns in red) produces imperfection, the negative space that you noticed.
>>
File: 1007101548.jpg (691KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1007101548.jpg
691KB, 2048x1536px
I wish I had the creativity I had back in middle school.
>>
>>2354342
can you explain this to me? it has to do with some conspiracy theory, i see some guys talking about this here, but never got it
>>
>>2354362
it's based on a /biz/ conspiracy theory that contemporary/non representational is a scheme through which jews inflate the value of pieces and simultaneously use them to launder money, thus incentivizing non-traditional art. Whas the perspective on the box intentional btw?
>>
>>2354366
it was not intencional, but if it works i'm ok, do you believe that? it must have some true to it, but i think not that direct
>>
>>2353784
Try learning facial proportions.. Eye is directly in the middle, bottom of the nose is half way from the eye to the bottom of the chin, bottom of the lower lip is halfway from bottom of the nose to bottom of the chin. I suggest burne hogarth - drawing the human head
>>
>>2354366
>conspiracy theory
>theory

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/modern-art-was-cia-weapon-1578808.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/13/arts/design/art-proves-attractive-refuge-for-money-launderers.html?_r=0
>>
>>2354425
I don't say conspiracy theory derisively or to imply a lack of merit, it's just what I know it as. Don't be offended just because my tinfoil is a layer too thin, senpai.
>>
>>2354425
i see, but wasn't the renaissance suported by a ruling group of people too?
>>
>>2350650
I would say hands are harder. Not just a simple hand, but hands in all their possibilities. Hands are just as expressive as faces, but they bend/move a lot more so capturing them in all their various angles is trickier to me than drawing a face. Of course, with faces, there's a lot of diversity in terms of structure and expression... but that comes easier to me than pose and perspective. So yeah.

I like drawing both though.
>>
>>2353843

Thanks, I'll try out other methods. Vilppu talks really slow though, when I first watched his demo I literally could barely follow his way of thought. Proko does explain in some better manner.
>>
File: arapaima.jpg (361KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
arapaima.jpg
361KB, 1000x600px
>>2353141
>>2353171
thanks, it's good to know the issues wrong with it were all things I was working on in the long run. Here's the updated one, nearing completion. Anything else before I finish rendering and cleaning up? thanks again
>>
Where do I find the vilppu videos, they aren't on YouTube anymore?
>>
>>2354527
cgpeers
>>
File: Sam.png (429KB, 575x590px) Image search: [Google]
Sam.png
429KB, 575x590px
Just finished my first painting. I hate it now and am aware of some issues (background laziness is one). Anything jump out at you guys? Limbs look short? Yes, he's a cyclops.
>>
>>2354533

I don't think he fits very well into the environment. Could be a composition thing. Try blurring out the background a bit
>>
>>2354533
Certainly decent for a beginner, a couple things jump out for me.

Some of the lighting seems to be coming from different angles, and it shouldn't be all black, try using cooler colors for shadows.

It's right arm seems to to be short, because of the cloth over the shoulder.

The perspective between the knee/cloth/foot/ground is off.

Hopefully that helps you a bit.
>>
>>2354541
>>2354553
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I'll definitely apply your advice next time around.
>>
>>2354267
I'd say you'll need to work on foreshortening and proportions. The left arm seems off and the torso is pretty flat. Maybe read on some guides on clothing too so you can draw them well enough to have form.
>>
>>2354533
The right knee is supposed to be facing forwards and not outwards like how you're depicting here, and the arms aren't foreshortened properly.
If you're really into painting, I suggest you work on better construction and anatomy, because all you're doing now is emphasizing your mistakes by coloring the thing.
>>
>>2354577
My drapery was exceedingly absentminded, yeah. I'm not sure what I'd do with the arms aside from bending her right to make it less awkward. If I were to refine and correct this, would her left shoulder be a surface of tension, creating folds that could display form? I've already polished the turd but I'd like to work out some issues.
>>
>>2354581
Okay. Always working on that when I can. Thanks!
>>
Is figure drawing considered as fail-proof drawing fundamental? I seem to have heard otherwise... Like before I tackle figure drawing i should learn to draw environments, etc. ?_?
>>
>>2354616
If drawing people well is what you want to do, yeah. Plus the old axiom "If you can draw the human figure, you can draw anything" has truth to it.
>>
File: IMG_19.jpg (1MB, 3507x2480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_19.jpg
1MB, 3507x2480px
>>2354620

Thank you anon, one more question. out of two books (figure drawing for all it's worth // figure drawing - design and invention) which one of these is better to start with? Or suggest some other ways to tackle figure drawing if possible.

These are the last gesture doodles I did before I felt like I'm stuck. I didn't seem to understand gesture at all. 30 second poses.
>>
>>2354632
FDFAIW starts out focused on proportion / anatomy and putting the figure in perspective, Hampton's book is a gestural, then constructive approach. I'd start with loomis as it's a nice introduction, but you'll miss out on a lot if you don't work to develop a sense of gesture and more intuitive stuff in tandem with what you'll gain from Loomis. YMMV, I'm sleep deprived.
>>
>>2354638

Okay, so I'll start with Loomis first. And will try to finish it for that matter, as for now there's no book on drawing that i have finished yet. Reading through art & fear in between.
>>
>>2353681

what program are you using? Did you install the drivers for your tablet? It looks like there is no pressure sensitivity, or stabilization
>>
>>2354577
Sorry for ignoring crit about the proportional issues, I haven't been able to identify those really, but do you think this update defines the form of the torso more clearly? Did the poor drapery in the previous iteration imply a shorter shoulder than this one?
>>
File: fixedAlitaRes.png (153KB, 1000x769px) Image search: [Google]
fixedAlitaRes.png
153KB, 1000x769px
>>2354671
>>2354577
Whoops. I can't seem to do anything right, haha.
>>
How do I learn to draw people - either in motion or standing still - if I have nobody to model after IRL? I live alone and am a shut-in.
>>
>>2354700
draw from photo ref and mirrors, learn to exaggerate and understand what makes something appear to be in action. Gesture drawing as a general concept is useful, but if you're looking to go for Dynamic(TM) stuff, study artists you like and photos of people in motion.
>>
>>2354700
You've got Internet. You've got access to literal billions of models to choose from.
>>
What should I do during an off day?
I really want to draw but everything looks really shitty and kind of pisses me off today
>>
File: file.png (85KB, 601x611px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
85KB, 601x611px
does anyone know in depth resources for drawing the human skull? I feel like I need some commentary / instructions to improve. I really like it when books talk in detail about proportions and various components of what Im trying to draw.

All I can find is very basic tutorials about how to draw skulls from specific angles and are basically "how to copy a skull from this specific position and nothing else" tutorials.
>>
File: z1056e.png (41KB, 1170x490px) Image search: [Google]
z1056e.png
41KB, 1170x490px
>>
>>2354700
get prokos course on figure drawing

http://www.vitorrentz.tv/torrent/959AC1D10E0C8C2C7348AE4E555CC1245E3B2913
>>
What about drawing using paths? Is it possible to GitGud at it? Has anyone ever tried it?
>>
>>2354795
if you are talking about "path" in photoshop, then you mean vector art

i know one guy who use it to draw, search "chasing artwork"
>>
File: blz no pully.png (80KB, 842x595px) Image search: [Google]
blz no pully.png
80KB, 842x595px
Do your worst crit/ic/s
>>
File: icshit.png (614KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
icshit.png
614KB, 1920x1080px
>>2354854
also can't draw lips for shit
>>
File: head study.png (518KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
head study.png
518KB, 1920x1080px
>>2354854
>>2354855
also dump if you couldn't tell
>>
File: nasal study.png (496KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
nasal study.png
496KB, 1920x1080px
>>2354854
>>2354855
>>2354859
>>
File: ocular study.png (368KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ocular study.png
368KB, 1920x1080px
>>2354854
>>2354855
>>2354859
>>2354860
There's my (You)
>>
File: torsa study.png (260KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
torsa study.png
260KB, 1920x1080px
>>2354854
>>2354855
>>2354859
>>2354860
>>2354861
>>
>>2354766
I learned a lot from reading some physiology and anatomy books from a college library. They're pretty boring and tough to read through, but dealing with it for a couple of hours is definitely worth it.
Learning the parts of an object does kind of help in drawing it in that it reminds you of what should be there and how they work with relative parts.
>>
File: latex sketch3 fix comparison.jpg (3MB, 2080x1958px) Image search: [Google]
latex sketch3 fix comparison.jpg
3MB, 2080x1958px
Submitted this for Draw every day, original is pen and digital edit is quickly fixing the errors I saw afterwards.
I would like to work on lighting studies at the moment, can anyone better than me point out where the highlights should be going?
>>
>>2354854
stop chicken scratching
work on your lines
keep practicing
>>
>>2353680
did you have too much caffeine or something?
>>
>>2354668

Using photoshop, and yeah, as for pressure sensitivity as well as stabilization I've turned it off as the pressure sensitivity distracts me from drawing lines (though with shadows and basically everything else it's extremely useful, so I can see why I should turn it on), and stabilization makes it feel like the pen isn't going where I want it to go.
>>
>>2354419
thx i should repeat the head section of hampton
>>
File: 1452920997908.jpg (247KB, 1500x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1452920997908.jpg
247KB, 1500x2000px
gonna give this a go, anybody wanna join me?
>>
File: 17.jpg (212KB, 1000x733px) Image search: [Google]
17.jpg
212KB, 1000x733px
Didn't have a lot of time to draw today, but promised myself to draw every day, no exceptions. So did this shitty dude. Bits of it already look wrong oh god.
Gonna work more next week.
>>
File: 1.png (83KB, 817x617px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
83KB, 817x617px
>>
File: tangerino tarantino.jpg (171KB, 638x656px) Image search: [Google]
tangerino tarantino.jpg
171KB, 638x656px
>>2353717
>>
>>2354896
Is that a man or a womyn?
>>
>>2354928
I'd bet on male, look at the throat and chin. The brow protrudes a bit more than a typical woman's would as well, and the eyebrows are pretty straight and thick.
>>
How do you handle lack of motivation? Or where do I look for some kind of inspiration? I've got tons of references, but I can't feel the spark that makes me want to draw immediately. is there a way to go around it? Hopefully someone understands what I'm talking about. :/ Thanks.
>>
>>2354900
The hand with a wristband or a watch should appear a tiny-bit longer than the other one, hence it's closer to the viewer.
>>
>>2354988
I try listening to inspiring music and imagine scenarios that fit my mood. Doesn't always work but usually results in something.
>>
>>2350779
Hampton is top-tier learning. Not going to find much better honestly. Solid advice, great to backup Loomis if you're doing that too (Or vice-versa).
>>
File: ancient_Greek_sculpture.jpg (12KB, 300x307px) Image search: [Google]
ancient_Greek_sculpture.jpg
12KB, 300x307px
>>2354896
>you will never be this beautiful
>>
File: 20160117_195957.jpg (485KB, 734x979px) Image search: [Google]
20160117_195957.jpg
485KB, 734x979px
>>2354896
i can't figure out a satisfying way to render, also the nose is too flat and the head angle is off
>>
>>2352009
That's some good form study
>>
File: goal.jpg (87KB, 594x594px) Image search: [Google]
goal.jpg
87KB, 594x594px
>>2355006
i really like this style but i cant recreate it
>>
>>2352158
merc-san
>>
>>2352260
Learn proportions

>>2352972
Yup, good work there.

>>2353271
I took a 4 month break and found myself being a bit awkward for a few days, no real obvious loss in skill. I was back to my normal self pretty much straight away. Once your mind starts to see things for how they really are, then you suddenly can draw, the rest is just theory which you just refine over time, and that comes back quick.
>>
>>2355006
You need to gradient off your tone. Instead of just black and white, it should slowly fade into the next colour.
>>
>>2350931
Drawing from reference slowly teaches you everything at once. You'll get there, just it takes a bit more time than focusing on each fundamental step.
>>
>>2352917
I remember I read something about how its that we seen humans more than we see, for example, a deer. We just have a really ingrained image of a body which is hard to ignore, while a deer you don't have much of a mental image for.
>>
>>2355027
thats on purpose i tried to experiment
>>
>>2355050
I like how the face turned out, but I think the neck is a bit rough.
>>
I'm a beginner but I have a clear-cut idea of a certain IP/group of characters which involve flower-themed anthro. Apart from fundamentals, what kind of thematic studies would help me reach my goals faster? I don't know how should I approach learning the specifics, but I feel like going through women's fashion magazines to get the basics of outfit design coupled with extensive study of flowers and vegetation in general are a given.
>>
>>2354928
Check that adam's apple and that chin. Legit guy.
>>
>>2355069
>going through women's fashion magazines to get the basics of outfit design coupled with extensive study of flowers and vegetation

Why dont you do that then?
>>
>>2354995

Thanks for the info. I rarely listen to music and it doesn't really inspire me to do anything. Except maybe one or two music tracks, instrumental. I'll keep on searching. And search for resources is taking up my most time. Got to suck it up and draw I believe. Still not sure what do I start with. Perspective studies or figure drawing with slight anatomy in-between.

Found tons of videos about perspective today, and same way about figure/portrait drawing. Be praised cgpeers :D
>>
File: 1441893249733.jpg (21KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1441893249733.jpg
21KB, 500x500px
is it worth starting to practice drawing because ive nothing to do after work
>>
>>2355124
drawing is a skill that, once you pick up no matter how bad you are, you can maintain for the rest of your life. you may be lonely but you will never be bored. it is worth it.
>>
>>2355148
guess ill just draw until my fingerprints have worn down
>>
>>2355012
into the inspo folder it goes
>>
File: 01-17-16-thumb.jpg (201KB, 928x1452px) Image search: [Google]
01-17-16-thumb.jpg
201KB, 928x1452px
Having trouble expressing movement in my drawings. Everything looks so stiff.

Also thinking about trying to use fewer lines, and less chicken scratch.
>>
File: tumblr_o14brmPh2g1tirh5to1_1280.jpg (123KB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o14brmPh2g1tirh5to1_1280.jpg
123KB, 1280x768px
i just make myself sad...
>>
what kind of pencil do they use for this? >>2355012
>>
Hate to ask those generic shitty stray puppy questions, but if I want to learn rendering, what's a good starting point? I have trouble modeling light on 3d forms and I don't really have an idea of the tools I'd be using to do so digitally. People seem to speak disparagingly about CTR+Paint so I'm kinda lost.
>>
File: art is hard.jpg (415KB, 1280x957px) Image search: [Google]
art is hard.jpg
415KB, 1280x957px
Tried to use the Loomis method to draw some (albeit cartoonish) real-life people.. If no one can guess who they are I guess I should try something else.
>>
>>2355199
Your people's backs are straight, while in real life they are probably leaning one way or the other. Adding that curvature might add movement to your drawings.
>>
File: 760070-bigthumbnail.jpg (82KB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
760070-bigthumbnail.jpg
82KB, 450x253px
Whats the best site for getting references?
>>
>>2354859
okay so your problem here is you've literally made the skull a sphere. while it's a good starting shape it'll end up more oval shaped and it wont be held in the shape like you've done. the jaws you've made are too small. take a look at a skull to get an idea.
>>
>>2355699

I want to know this too. Will wait till this gets answered. :D
>>
>>2355699
I dunno, I just use gImages and Pinterest. You'd probably be better off starting a massive folder than looking for a magic site though.
>>
>>2355699
>>2355791
quickposes.com
Free site, I use it a lot.
>>
File: 2.jpg (86KB, 720x661px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
86KB, 720x661px
>>2355807
These 1 minute sketches kick my ass
>>
File: pine_cube.jpg (47KB, 606x363px) Image search: [Google]
pine_cube.jpg
47KB, 606x363px
How do I draw a perfect cube in 3 point perspective?
>>
File: 3-point-perspective.jpg (188KB, 664x962px) Image search: [Google]
3-point-perspective.jpg
188KB, 664x962px
>>2355871
That's an isometric cube.
>>
>>2355923
I know.
The picture you have is not super helpful, dosen't really have any measurements other than the 3 vanishing points.

Proportions senpai.
>>
File: Untitled.png (26KB, 940x1556px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
26KB, 940x1556px
>>2355934
Here you go then. Just draw a square (red) and align the edges with the horizon vanishing points or whatever.
>>
>>2355503
Of course I can recognize the Monty Pythons !
>>
File: gqetgj.jpg (347KB, 1530x1192px) Image search: [Google]
gqetgj.jpg
347KB, 1530x1192px
In gesture drawing, how are you even meant to draw things that are hidden by clothing? Like in a dress.

Just guess if the leg is straight/bent? On the woman you can tell one leg is bent forward but you can't see her supporting leg.

I always skip these images
>>
File: z1063d.png (222KB, 1164x543px) Image search: [Google]
z1063d.png
222KB, 1164x543px
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (106KB, 801x813px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
106KB, 801x813px
Can't shake off the feeling I'm doing something wrong, especially with jaws and sideplanes. And lines and forms and everything, really, but mainly jaws and sideplanes.
>>
>>2355807

I have a lot of figure references to choose from, the vehicle/environment references are a bit harder to find unless you know what you are looking for. There must be some tumblrs etc on those things. But searching is tedious. ;x
>>
How do I go about studying from a loomis book(figure), do I copy each and every drawing he did? Or there's some other means to go
>>
>>2355010
Thanks bro.
>>
>>2356084
just copy the proko vid 100 times
>>
>>2356167
I normally copy the drawings and make up a couple of others using the taught part of the page, like on DtHaH I'll construct a new head using the techniques from the book in addition to copying his.
>>
File: spacekinbg2.png (20KB, 706x500px) Image search: [Google]
spacekinbg2.png
20KB, 706x500px
i'm slowly getting better at ms paint, perspective still a FUCKING BITCH though

this is probably two or three weeks old but with all the editing i've done to perfect it it remains my best work

i need to download some irl models to """"reference""""
>>
File: 1452234282146.jpg (93KB, 736x1076px) Image search: [Google]
1452234282146.jpg
93KB, 736x1076px
Posting some reference and my drawing of it.
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (185KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
185KB, 1000x1000px
>>2356485
>>
File: fuckshit.jpg (530KB, 1737x1300px) Image search: [Google]
fuckshit.jpg
530KB, 1737x1300px
please give me guidance
>>
>>2356167
>>2356459

I did copy today his ideal proportions of a male figure so far, took longer than I anticipated. And my proportions were far from being ideal lol
>>
>>2356492
>>2356492
1. i like the gesture, its not the best in the world but i think these seem kinda find in it.
Can you do a full figure drawing? These seem like a bunch of unfinished sketches.
>>
How do you give the imagined figure a sense of motion in a still image? Is the key a strong line of action, or are there more subtle things I might not be picking up from assloads of gesture drawing?
>>
>>2356503
most of them were 60 second poses. yeah i've been struggling trying to get gesture and a half decent framework to build a figure off. i'll try and put together a full figure drawing
>>
File: please help.png (433KB, 812x743px) Image search: [Google]
please help.png
433KB, 812x743px
please help
>>
File: poop.png (1MB, 1066x1000px) Image search: [Google]
poop.png
1MB, 1066x1000px
>>2356503
>>2356509

:/
>>
>>2356524
Have you even managed to get to Betty Edwards' book or Keys to Drawing?
>>
File: 1451784027342.gif (797KB, 583x328px) Image search: [Google]
1451784027342.gif
797KB, 583x328px
>>2356528
1. in a non shitposting way, do you have a tumblr? I would like to follow you!
2. The upperbody seems to show alot of potential
3. The lower body, you just dropped the ball there man. The lower bit of the left leg looks messed up because that part is foreshortened and you didn't account for it.
Really, the upperbody seems to have a bunch of small issues, but the lower body is just competely bad. Also your lines seem somewhat poor, especially towards the lower body
It seems as if you were very confident about the upper body but then had no clue about the lower body.
I'd say line economy, lower body anatomy and construction, feet, and foreshortening are somethings you need to work on, but i think you are coming along pretty well!
>>
>>2356553
wow thanks for the crit, this is really helpful! sadly i don't have a blog.

i've been studying torsos quite a bit recently and haven't got to putting any time into legs/feet. Also been worrying a lot about gesture for the past few days, but i think i'll put that on hold for a while
>>
File: snapshot (4).jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot (4).jpg
39KB, 640x480px
here is my drawing
>>
File: portrait-o.jpg (355KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
portrait-o.jpg
355KB, 2000x2000px
>>2356711
here is my reference

i've been studying loomis for a few days, thoughts? I would appreciate critique
>>
>>2355699
An anon recommended me Flickr and it's surprisingly useful. Lots of stuff and as HD as it gets.
>>
>>2356714
>>2356711
that is not ok. you need to work on removing that symbol drawing first. Get Keys to Drawing by Bert Dodson and work through that before you even think of Loomis.
>>
>>2356493
Copying is imho just a way to memorize the information and techniques. You have to practice applying the stuff you learned so also draw your own drawings using the techniques.
>>
File: snapshot (5).jpg (42KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot (5).jpg
42KB, 640x480px
>>2356790
please could you point out the symbol drawing.
>>
>>2356835
Not that guy, but the lips are the most egregious example. It's easy to think of the lips as two segregated sections from the face, but you'll end up with a better drawing if you draw what you actually see instead of just drawing two ellipsoids. It's a common exercise to try drawing something upside down to help with this. Helps you avoid seeing sections, and just has you draw what's actually there.

I'm not much better myself, but I might give your reference a shot.
>>
>>2356848
i'd love to see what you mean visually :D
>>
>>2356850
Also you can overlay the two images in GIMP or Photoshop at 50% opacity to see where your drawing doesn't match.
>>
File: 1450647401399.png (212KB, 338x353px) Image search: [Google]
1450647401399.png
212KB, 338x353px
>>2356835
Am I getting baited right now? I probably am but w/e it's 4am and I'll reply anyway.

You can't seriously tell me that you can hold up that drawing of yours next to the reference photo and say anything in your drawing looks alike. Like those eyes you drew , that's not how eyes look, that's not how the eyes of that dude look, just hold up your drawing next to the reference. Not even proportions are right in your drawing. Entire shape of the head is wrong, and the size is wrong. You either still have problems with symbol drawing or you are just baiting.
>>
>>2356855
lol
>>
File: 1342749211105.png (522KB, 505x656px) Image search: [Google]
1342749211105.png
522KB, 505x656px
>>2356711
You're symbol drawing like a mother fucker
>>
File: 121.png (116KB, 279x308px) Image search: [Google]
121.png
116KB, 279x308px
>>2350477
How have I never heard of this website
>>
File: face cropped.png (171KB, 680x1021px) Image search: [Google]
face cropped.png
171KB, 680x1021px
>>2356850
>>2356711
>>2356714

Here's my attempt. I'd love some critique.
>>
>>2356711
don't feel bad everyone suffer from symbol drawing, even after you overcome it, it may happen from time to time
>>
>>2357048
he looks kinda gay
>>
File: file.png (317KB, 624x701px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
317KB, 624x701px
I have a question for more experienced artists.

Do you use the loomis divided ball and plane method to draw heads? If not, what other method do you use? Do you use a combination of methods? Do you switch between methods?
>>
File: 87586687989.jpg (320KB, 738x880px) Image search: [Google]
87586687989.jpg
320KB, 738x880px
>>
>>2357320
go watch speed paintings/drawings of portraits. NO ONE does the planes. ever. just the 'sphere', mid/hair/jaw/eyebrow line, nose line, maybe cheeks. the planes are there so you can recognize specific features of the face/head.
>>
File: zk10Y0T.jpg (38KB, 497x323px) Image search: [Google]
zk10Y0T.jpg
38KB, 497x323px
I did loomis FWAP drew all the funny faces and figures and even made some of my own and I started doing keys to drawing and drawing on the right side of the brain and that was telling me about "seeing" so I started drawing from life and that seemed to discard everything I was learning in loomis about construction. I also suck at drawing forms and I've seen threads tell me to grind and focus on form in order to get gud at constructions. Idk I feel lost. I don't know what to grind or focus on at this point. I just want somebody to tell me what to do to get good.

Like draw x and y 20 times one day and draw x, y and z 20 times the next day.

Can I find something like this?
>>
>>2356811

So far I haven't got that far off in a book yet, I tried to draw those early proportions of male and female front, side, back view. And they turned out awful :D But I'll keep going. I'll probably scan those in later
>>
Should I look into exercises for painting/rendering or am I just wasting my time? I want to get better but I dont want to just be doing exercises that won't help me
>>
File: wtf did i do.png (70KB, 498x496px) Image search: [Google]
wtf did i do.png
70KB, 498x496px
send help
>>
>>2357635
Practice your proportions
>>
>>2349717
Try drawing a circle, the put a box in perspective around the circle. Decide which side to cut the sides off of and which side is the face, and you'll have some decent planes to start with
>>
File: 6786767867.jpg (14KB, 310x464px) Image search: [Google]
6786767867.jpg
14KB, 310x464px
>tfw been drawing since September 2013 and I still suck and am now at a point where I have no idea what I should be doing or studying
>>
File: btW2npz.jpg (194KB, 728x1046px) Image search: [Google]
btW2npz.jpg
194KB, 728x1046px
>>2357386
Someone edited this for drawing, but I forgot what it was, that's probably what you're looking for.
>>
>>2357659
post your work and i'll help you out
>>
File: tumblr_o17zasoRmN1tirh5to1_1280.jpg (114KB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o17zasoRmN1tirh5to1_1280.jpg
114KB, 1280x768px
What do you think? Just really quick one today because I need to study for a math test that's in 36 hours.

The left one made me a little happy because it's my first portrait that actually resembles the person I was drawing pretty well. It gave me hope that one day I might be able to draw.
(I spilled mate on the right because I'm stress as fuck)
>>
File: snapshot (6).jpg (38KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot (6).jpg
38KB, 640x480px
am i still symbol drawing? I don't notice it like you d/ic/ks
>>
>>2357870
Is that supposed to be a Donald Duck mask? That's the only thing I'm seeing
>>
>>2357874
lol?
>>
>>2357874
you don't see the foot?
>>
File: lvmsrlr.jpg (189KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
lvmsrlr.jpg
189KB, 1000x750px
>>2357720
All 5 min. I've done many more sheets than just this one, but I tore those up and trashed them. I only kept this one to post for LAS and here.
>>
>>2357886
Alright, it took me a few minutes, but I figured it's apparently a foot with a large hole in the ankle. I can't really say about symbol drawing, but the the perspective is so weird that that's probably the case. You can see the toe pretty much sideways and at the same time the ball of the foot.
>>
File: snapshot (7).jpg (18KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot (7).jpg
18KB, 640x480px
>>2357908
>>
>>2357799
your lips are still very much coming across as symbol drawing to me; did you use references for these?
>>
>>2357908

you are a genuine retard
>>
>>2357918
the right one yeah...the lips are fucked I can see that :/ , on the left I thought the shape matched with the reference pretty well tho, I think it might be the outline that I put there for reasons unknown even to me now and that makes it look like symbol, I would love to post the reference but I'm on phone now and don't have it here I'll try to look it up
>>
>>2357870
no your just shitbol drawing
>>
Are there any good tutorials for hard brush painting in Clip Studio Paint or should I just pirate PS
>>
>>2358301
photoshop. it's the industry standard and too easy to get for free
>>
What is /ic/s opinion of drawabox.com?
>>
>>2358369
It's watered down based on who he learned from, drop it before the figure part. Teaches basic perspective and construction paired with observational drawing well, but I'd recommend Loomis over Uncomfortable for figure stuff.
>>
File: img20160119_172611.jpg (338KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
img20160119_172611.jpg
338KB, 1280x960px
How am i doing?
>>
File: 20160120_110558.jpg (342KB, 598x805px) Image search: [Google]
20160120_110558.jpg
342KB, 598x805px
I wanna get into drawing clothes and fashion so i started a drapery study. But i dont think this is the way to go for now, i feel like this turned more into a value study than anything else. Should i continue this or should i look to draw actual clothing on people to learn how the folds are formed?
>>
File: mess.png (68KB, 600x675px) Image search: [Google]
mess.png
68KB, 600x675px
Hair and clothing is the worst.
What do now?
>>
>>2357890
You got some good torsos and bodies there, but the heads are fucked up. See into hampton's analytical figure drawing. (The head portion especially.)
And pay attention to proportions
>>
>>2358814
>>2358814
>>2358814
>>2358814
>>2358814
>>2358814
did a new
Thread posts: 403
Thread images: 150

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.