[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm drawing as a hobby now. I've given up on the fantasy

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Lord Byron.jpg (171KB, 666x800px) Image search: [Google]
Lord Byron.jpg
171KB, 666x800px
I'm drawing as a hobby now. I've given up on the fantasy and sci-fi garbage, or trying to be a concept artist a while ago. That shit is just plain droll.

I'd really like to one day (maybe in a couple decades) be as good as the old masters. What do you think of studying beyond the basics for that path?
>>
what do you consider a master?
do you think being a 'master' in the contemporary world necessitates the same skillset as your early 19th century friend here?
>>
>>2345986

well, seeing as he was literally called "drawing master" by the Queen of England at the time, I'd say it probably does
>>
>>2345991

>at the time
i think you missed my point
i was wondering if you think having the same skillset as, say, Byron, means the same thing in contemporary culture. If one would want to be a master one would, presumably, want to further the boundaries and possibilities of his own medium, which is a desire with far different implications in the 21st century than in the 19th century.

However, I'm reading your post again and it sounds like you just want to paint like a 19th century painter.
>>
>>2345996

Byron wasn't an artist, he was a poet.

In my opinion being a master is mastering your craft. If your craft is painting like a romantic era artist, and you master that, then you can call yourself a master.

Pioneer is probably a better word for what you describe.
>>
>>2345980
>trading one meme for another
>>
>>2346003
That Byron thing was super dumb of me.
Nonetheless! I think its important to consider what you're chasing after and why you're chasing it. What you consider an "old master" has that reputation because he exceeded his predecessors in some way. No artist has been called a master because they painted exactly how another artist or movement did x number of years ago, right?
(There's a strange nostalgic enchantment i've noticed on this board with extremely antiquated methods of representation and i'm curious to understand it.)
>>
>>2346022

Yeah I sorta see your point in wanting to improve upon earlier works of the same style, instead of simply imitating them
>>
>>2345980

If you don't do commercial work you are triple fucked.
>>
>>2345980
>droll
Don't use words you don't understand dummy
>>
>>2347303

Why would commercial work apply to me at all? I'm an Architect working at a firm, I just paint in my free time.
>>
>>2347329
>I just paint in my free time.

Why do you think you could ever reach mastery by painting as a hobbyist in your free time? Either you are vastly overestimating yourself, or you are practically insulting the old masters, saying what they could do by dedicating their life to art, you can do on the side between dayjob and shitposting on 4chan.

A "droll" concept artist who works 8 hours a day has a far more likely chance of reaching master level than you ever will.
>>
>>2347969
There are those who don't require the same time you might to achieve great skill in painting.
>>
>>2348479
hahahahahaha
>>
>>2345980
>I'm drawing as a hobby now
>I'd really like to one day (maybe in a couple decades) be as good as the old masters
Son...
>>
>>2348575
not to the extent of becoming a great master, but you see lots of people who achieve progress in 6 months that others achieved in 6 years or more

it's very, very common for people to waste shitloads of time. besides that you don't have to eat rice for a month to afford the pigments you want, make your own colors and work oils with shitty light or even frescos

today you just turn on your pc, grab your tablet and go at it. be smart with your time and you'll see results very fast
>>
>>2347969

sorry kiddo but some faggot drawing power armor and elder scrolls fanart will never reach master level no matter how many hours he puts into it
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.