[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to approach stylization

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20151017_150531.jpg (185KB, 1024x724px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151017_150531.jpg
185KB, 1024x724px
Once you understand anatomy and some rules in regards to life draw, when do you know it's safe to tackle and stylize your work? It seems like a lot of people who stylize follow the same set of rules of trying to achieve 'cute' or character appeal. But where does one obtain the knowledge for these things?
>>
>>2343904
>where does one obtain the knowledge for these things?

You study from life.
>>
>>2343904
>draw thing from real life you find cute (e.g. a baby, a puppy)
>study and figure out what makes them cute
>use your new found knowledge in craeting a style
>>
>>2343904
Wow that dude is amazing artist.
Thanks OP, for putting that pic there.
>>
>>2343918
He's a great artists and a nice dude.
>>
god damn it, you are you that retard who asked the same thing in the question thread while posting ovopack already before...

stop being retarded, you cant draw for shit in general, because if you could, you wouldnt need to be asking this shit
>>
>>2343922
OP here.
I didn't even know there was a question thread until you mentioned it. Funny enough, I found out about ovopack's work on this board a few months back.
>>
I hesitate to say when it's "safe" to learn stylization, your skills are (should) be always growing so there's no point where you cross into an arbitrary "good enough" range. Start now and be as critical, read: not self deprecating, of it as with all of you work.
>>
>>2343924
>been here for at least few months
>not knowing /ic/ has a question threads
> >>2339834
>cant draw for shit

seriously concider quitting
>>
>>2343930
>That topic about realism and styling got me wondering more about stylizing.

Wait, what topic was this? Is this also in the question thread?
>>
File: Stylization.png (68KB, 473x314px) Image search: [Google]
Stylization.png
68KB, 473x314px
>>2343904
>>
Either study or take some elements from your favorite artists.

When you're studying, note the proportions and form (3d shapes). Manipulate (like rotating the form), and use the measurements to create the same character from a different angle. Manipulation makes it stick in your head more.

Learning from life makes observations and studying easier to do.

>>2343930
>>2343922

Be chill bruh. If it's simple, then simply answer it.

Don't give up drawing OP.
>>
>>2343939
>>2343943

Great answers.
Yea, I just wanted a simple answer. I'll continue my studies, just curious. Thanks for that.
>>
>>2343953
post your work before you do
>>
hmm personally I dont think it's something one should strive out for...I believe it should and would happen organically as your brain subcontinously filters out and in stuff you find attractive so your drawings should begin to have some form of cohesiveness..
>>
>>2343939
>you need to learn the fundamentals in tandem with the direction you want to take your art

A thousand times this.
>>
>>2343972
That was an odd request, anon.
>>
>>2343911
Stylized doesn't mean cute.
>>
>>2343930
Stop embarrassing yourself
>>
>>2343904
Study whatever it is that draws you to the style by finding similar artists, and studying from their art.

This doesn't mean blindly redrawing, but actually analyzing their use of form and fundamentals to enhance their style and drawing.

It's fine to try to study whatever stylization interests you as long as you don't get stuck in the "Muh stylization development over fundamentals" thought process.
>>
>>2343904
ignore everyone else, they don't know shit other than parroting loomis loomis vilppu loomis like fucking pokemon.

You don't need to master anatomy or life drawing to stylize, once you have solid construction and understand perspective you can stylize successfully, but you actually need to study design and visual rethoric.
Stylization is not a gimmick, it's a visual language, you need to know what message you're trying to convey with your artwork and what shapes and gestures better aid you to get the message across.
>>
>>2343984
It doesn't, stop being retarded.
That road gets you drawing aliens like Algen and almost commiting sudoku because you don't understand why. Stylization is not subconscious, natural or automatic. It's deliverate, structured and must be honed on it's own through knowledge of design and practice.
>>
>>2343904
"Just copy other people's style first, then internalize and develop your own"

-Ruan Jia
>>
There's usually different answers when this topic occurs, but it makes sense why. Wouldn't learning the fundamental of Design be the path to take for OP?
>>
File: sh381-ab.jpg (1MB, 1682x1022px) Image search: [Google]
sh381-ab.jpg
1MB, 1682x1022px
learn how it exists in real life,
observe artists you like and how they simplify/exaggerate/design the forms, figure out why they do what they do.

http://andreasdeja.blogspot.com/2013/03/hands.html

>when do you know it's safe to tackle and stylize your work?

when you can make conscious design choices based on mechanical knowledge of the subject matter instead of just replicating things to look like your chinese cartoons

stylization is a skill that needs to be practiced just like everything else, imo
>>
>>2344552
Ruanjia has no clue how to stylize though. People often seem to confuse when painters talk about their "style" with actual stylization. A style can come together as a mixture of tons of things. From the way you render, the type of brushes you like to use, your brushwork, how you have memorized certain anatomical landmarks etc. That is not what stylization is though. Stylization is conscious shape design, exaggeration or simplification of form, anatomy and gesture for the sake of appeal.
>>
File: Meowth.jpg (198KB, 1200x1400px) Image search: [Google]
Meowth.jpg
198KB, 1200x1400px
What are some tips on how to keep your style consistent when working with drawing the same character multiple times?
>>
>>2345027
construction, aka loomis
>>
>>2344119
if they want a cute style, it makes sense to study and figure out these things.
>>
>>2344914
i want this
>>
>>2343909
more like study from other artists
op pic is based on aesthetics forerunners already figured out
>>
>>2345027
You make character reference sheets.
How each character looks displaying different emotions, and to keep their proportions consistent.
>>
>>2345027
you retards are overthinking this as usual, it all literally comes down to drawing

your characters arent consistent? then draw it fucking hundred times for a few days and youll see how consisten itll get

there are no shortcuts, stop thinking and just draw
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.