[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much time do you spend per day on art? I've always been

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

File: time management.jpg (40KB, 500x320px) Image search: [Google]
time management.jpg
40KB, 500x320px
How much time do you spend per day on art? I've always been a casual, occasionally doing some studies of faces or whatever, but now I want to get serious and actually learn to draw. I am also currently doing a degree in Electronic Engineering, however, so I'm unsure how much time to spend per day on art
>>
At least 6 hours a day everyday, usually between 8-10. However I am an unemployed loser with no social or love life. I only care about getting good and eventually killing myself after Ive reached that goal. Also will be running out of savings soon and will be forced to work again after like 3 months of massive art gains, someone please just kill me now.
>>
im studying to get into uni for graphic design and i work 6-9 hours a day (6 hours monday-wednesday and sunday, 9 hours for the rest)
I tend to work in 3 hour breaks, work 3 hours, rest 3 hours.Also i make sure to up the difficulty after every break.At start i will start easy and just study anatomy and stuff then up the difficulty and do perspective or industrial drawings or smth and then do entrance exam questions at last.(the entrance exam works differently here and a very small part of it is actually showing your portfolio)
>>
>>2339198
Ill clarify that I dont do informal "studies" and that doesnt include my time studying things anatomy, color theory, etc. all of my drawing time is devoted to fully developed passion pieces, its what makes me whole.
>>
>>2339195
as long as your focusing 100% on what your doing, and trying your hardest to learn and improve (i.e. not spending the time mindlessly rendering), i'd say 4 hours a day is the minimum if you want to consider yourself taking it seriously and progress at a decent rate

i only work a part time job and live with the rents, and personally i feel best doing around 8 hours a day
>>
>>2339203
>8 hours

How? my hand starts hurting after 5.
>>
Usually 4-8 hours a day depending on how much school work i have to do
>>
>>2339205
i space it out through the day. usually 2-3 hours at a time. you hand gets used to it , but make sure you do stretches to avoid carpal tunnel
>>
>>2339205
take a break?honestly i cannot force myself to draw more than 4 hours without no breaks.My concentration goes away, my head hurts and i just start to become salty and agitated, there really is no reason to push yourself and do 2 more hours of work if you are only looking at a blank piece of paper and trying to get yourself to work.Just, go get tea or smth, not ewryone has the same work cycle.Return after like 10 minutes or so if you really are cramming for time.
>>
>people here saying to dedicate minimum 4h per day
>most people drawing for 6-8h per day err day

Oh, so here goes my plans to pick art as a hobby.

t. mechatronic/signal processing guy, not OP
>>
well i also think that going to /i/ is probably better if you are thinking of it as a hobby, most people here are either very serious about their work or complete fuck-ups, alot of us cannot really relate to hobbyists.(i honestly dont know why you would like to draw to past time since its so annoying that you are never good at drawing unless you draw the same stuff every single time)
>>
also since you seem to be new, 4 hours really isnt that much when a minimum drawing (characters+background and shading)usely takes around 2 hours and you really dont realize how times passes that quickly once you get going.
>>
>>2339214
>i honestly dont know why you would like to draw to past time
just because its a pleasant way to spend time. I did art A-Level when I was still at school and it was always a pleasant way to spend a day or two, just working on a picture. I want to add structure to my learning so I can eventually reach the point of doing actual good paintings as a way to relax
>>
>>2339215
if your idea of a beginner practicing to get good is polishing one image for 2 hours i don't think your doing it right
>>
>>2339195
a couple of hours
>>
>>2339250
i dunno, i practice for exams really, and they each take 2 hours to make so thats the limit i put myself into :/
>>
>>2339195
Usually about 2 hours a day. I have other stuff to do as well, plus I can only focus for around 30 minutes at a time.

I imagine once I can into value and color I will spend a lot more time working on that digitally. But for now, 2 hours a day.
>>
>>2339198
iv neglected my art for years and fallen into a deep depression. im a total loser like you with nothing to live for and unlimited free time. i think i'll start doing this and make art my goal once again...
>>
I was practicing 4 to 6 hours a day in the last 3 years, but from now on I'm gonna have 2 whole years to work exclusively on my art, it's now or never.

Do you think that 10 hours a day is enough to make some good progress in 2 years?
>>
>>2339195

Nowadays I spend 0-4hours per day painting. I fucked up and got both carpal tunnel and tendonitis which makes it close to impossible to live off of illustration work.

>>2339429
You could spend every waking hour for the rest of your life painting and you could still be shit at the end of it.

It all depends on how you use those hours. Mindlessly copying photos or painting without critical thinking will get you nowhere in 2 years.

Spend a few hours each day practicing what you're bad at. Use the rest of the time on personal / professional work.

The most important thing is to think. Before you can place a cast shadow you have to know the placement of the light source. How the cast shadow hits another object depends on its 3-dimensional shape, so you have to know that as well. etc. etc.

So I guess the answer is yes, you could get really good in two years. The only problem is that most people spend all their time in their own cozy comfort zone.
>>
>>2339411
same

I'm not necessarily good but I am doing well in art school and have always had a very quick style.
When I practice I usually try to make animations now since it allows me to fix the drawing with every drawing and then in the end my sketches come to life
>>
>>2339214
>i honestly dont know why you would like to draw to past time
this is the thing i dont understand about /ic/
none of you.. actually like drawing? you dont enjoy art you just wanna 'git gud' so you can draw tits and make money or something? i dnt understaaaand
>>
I feel like people who say they spend a million hours every day are either:

a) Just starting to do it and will soon stop
b) Planning to do it and haven't actually tried it
c) Lying
>>
>>2339756
when i started i didnt like drawing. i wanted to do something that required some pictures so i figured hey i'll just learn to draw and do it myself. half a year later and i still fucking suck but it's my life now
>>
I started a month ago. I'm going to treat it as a hobby because im studying biochemistry full-time. Around 2 hours a day instead of wasting my time on videogames. Im probably never going to be AS good as the folks working 8hours a day, but then again, its better than videogames or TV
>>
Anywhere from 2-5 hours a day, depending on how I feel. I think if you're not enjoying yourself while doing art, there's no point in doing it anyway.
>>
>>2339215
2 hours to finish a picture? Jesus christ, am I really that slow? A quick colored piece with simple cel shading and a non-background takes me at least 3, not counting breaks. And I wouldn't call them finished either. Finished painted pieces take at least 6. Apparently I need to work on optimization lol

Do you mind sharing one?
>>
>>2339883
Unfortuanelty i work on 50x70 paper so i cannot really scan it, nor do i have a good enough camera to take a picture without half of the shading looking like its not even there.But its not like my work is that hard.I only do drawings using charcoal and pencils, sometimes with india ink when im drawing for my leisure, and those usually take around 3-4 hours since i have to be very careful not to fuck up any lines.Also dont try to immedietly try to do drawings in 2 hours.In my experience it took me a month or two to actually get one done in 3 hours, couple a weeks more to drop it to 2.And still after getting the 2 hour to norm, i get fucking EXHAUSTED after i finish a drawing, like my head hurts and i cant even feel my existence on earth levels.
>>
>>2339883
>>2339215
>>2340456

Wait, but that guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POaXl7g4ie8

does an awesome quick sketch in 8 minutes. I mean, sure, he is professional artist, teacher and has over a decade of doing this shit for the living, but hey, does it really have to take so many hours a day?

regards, total n00b
>>
>>2340461
Depends really.I mean, time and quality are directly influenced over what you are drawing,how many times you have drawed it before,how you are feeling that current time(are you in your groove or not) etc.

Also you shouldnt, under any circumstance, take lightly of a pro.Working with ink with that much confidence requires years of hard work and determination.To answer from my perspective, a full body anatomy shot would take me around 10 minutes to sketch and shade if im in the groove.But that is different from a educational work, that is meant to push my limits.
>>
One hour...
>>
I say three hours a day is enough. You just have to be smart about it and some regular doodling on the side could help for muscle memory.
The biggest hurdle will be the first 1-2 years, if you really are a beginner. Getting rid of chicken scratch and all that stuff.
>>
On average 45 minutes a day. Two two hour sessions a week from evening classes, and the rest spread out across the week.

I've been at it for about two and a half years now and it's pretty nice. Progress is obviously slow but it still feels pretty rewarding. And it's enough to impress non-artists.

Can't even imagine doing it professionally. I'm sure it wouldn't be fun any more. Plus I want a career that results in more money.
>>
>>2340497
i like how hobbyist like you LOVE to passive agresively shit on professionals that devote their life to their work.
>>
>>2340518
Hmmm, that wasn't my intention. Just laying out my thoughts.
>>
>>2339198
can you post your work id love to see what you can achieve with that much practice
>>
>>2340518
if you're a professional how do you have enough time to get butthurt on a taiwanese beyblade tournament betting site
>>
File: 1413142579390.webm (620KB, 462x360px) Image search: [Google]
1413142579390.webm
620KB, 462x360px
>>2339195
Not enough
I just can't bring myself to sit down mostly because I don't know what I should draw to improve.
>>
3 hours a day is enough 6 hours if you are not busy with other stuff. Also studying for more than 6 hours a day is the most autistic thing you can do your hands will be hurt and you will become a retard. Your brain stops to learn at a point too.
>>
>>2340594

Draw everything. Is there something that exists? Draw it. Is there something that doesn't exist? Draw that too. Is there something you want to draw? Draw that. Something you don't want to draw? Draw that as well. The heart of your progress is going to be the work you put in, if you procrastinate for too long thinking about what you should draw, you're not going to get that experience. As long as you try to apply things you've learned about art, like the fundamentals, you will keep improving. Just draw, there's no time to waste thinking about it! If you really need to think about what you should draw, at least spend that time drawing something you didn't think about drawing.
>>
Last year was my worst with most days being at, or below 3 hours per day, with long stretches of no drawing at all.

I'm back to neetdom, and I had very little to no social life to begin with, so I'm sticking with a schedule this year. Thus far it's been 6-7 hours a day consisting of 3 hours devoted to studies, 3 hours devoted to money making ventures or portfolio pieces, and an hour for free drawing time. I have 30 minute breaks in between each hour, an hour for meals, and tiny stretch breaks peppered throughout. The week isn't done, but I've scheduled myself for this 6 days a week. I might cut it down to 5 though.

>>2339195
I doubt anyone can give you a concrete number, but if you're seriously serious you'll be willing to eliminate or drastically cut down on other hobbies and activities to make the time. Take a good long look at yourself and what you do during the day, and think about what you really want to accomplish. Unless you're going at 100% all day every day already, I guarantee you'll find plenty of fat for trimming.

One more thing, remember to make some time for friends, maybe once a week or something. Speaking from personal experience, social skills are a bitch to relearn, and losing friends is painful as fuck in the long run.
>>
>>2339195
10 months ago i started spending 15-20 nearly every day on drawing (I'm an insomniac, and unemployed) and that lasted for a good six months, but i've been slacking off a lot recently
it
shit killed my health though
>>
>>2339762

Likely a, but mediums like animation take a lot of time.
>>
>>2340638
> I guarantee you'll find plenty of fat for trimming.
4chan takes up a lot of my time, I'm hooked, and it's a bitch to get rid of. I admire the resources, but the way it hooks me gets annoying.
>>
>>2339195

Recently I only spent 30 minutes one day drawing skulls and I still noticed the next day that my understanding improved a lot. My point being that with dedicated practice and a consistent attitude you will still improve, so it's not like there's a minimum time.

On the other hand I probably spend dozens of hours drawing hot grills but I didn't study anatomy and I didn't know about gesture so in the end I was exactly as shitty as when I started. The approach matters a lot.
>>
>>2340538

Yamsss.deviantart.com

Ive only been at the 8-10hr/day pace for the last three months or so, but ive made massive improvement in that time, definitely not planning on stopping im addicted to the work now. Before then i hadnt drawn anything for like six months due to morbid depression
>>
>>2339195
Two or so hours a day. I've got my final thesis to write and lab boss wants to publish this so I can't spend too much on art.
>>
>>2339212
>taking half the shit on the website as fact

If you like art, then just draw man.
>>
>>2339195
Not enough.

>>2340732
This. I remember in a sketchbook video for Dana's work she said she works a crazy amount, but it's legit because she did traditional animation for her course and then a couple of hours into her sketchbook and painting a day too.
>>
How do you guys do it? How do you work for hours every day with nobody forcing you?
Every day I spend all fucking day in front of this screen and I never get anything done - I just jump from tab to tab and 13 hours later I've gotten 50 minutes of work done and I couldn't tell you you what happened the rest of the time.
It's ridiculous and I just can't figure out how to fix it.
>>
>>2345645
Just force yourself to do it. It's like working out, it's hard at first and you want to mess around instead of just doing it.
>>
File: preview2.png (107KB, 1092x735px) Image search: [Google]
preview2.png
107KB, 1092x735px
>>2345645
i enjoy drawing so it's not hard to sit myself down infront of a pice of paper and start drawing things i like. after that it's pretty easy to get into the swing of doing studies and getting better at fundamentals.

start recording how much time you are putting into drawing. i recommend getting one of these for your wall, and every day writing how many hours you put in. start with half an hour a day if that's hard for you but keep it consistent for 15 days, then move to 1 hour after a month, then 2 then 3 etc.

if you build up the habit slowly without it being too much of a change to your day, it won't be hard to get into the groove
>>
4-10 hours, it depends. I am not very efficient though so it doesn't translate into improvement.
>>
Some weeks I draw everyday, and sometimes I take several weeks off. I ran some stats on myself and I made about 190 tumblr posts last year. Which works out to drawing 3-4 hours for 3-4 days a week.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.