[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Musician friend just said to me (I'm paraphrasing to make

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_ls339hH5HN1r17c21o1_1280.jpg (128KB, 1100x612px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ls339hH5HN1r17c21o1_1280.jpg
128KB, 1100x612px
Musician friend just said to me (I'm paraphrasing to make this more appealing per ic-lingo)

'are you fucking retarded? of course nobody is going to buy your shit if they can't relate. they don't know you, they don't know what the stuff you make is about. imagine two street musicians, both at the same hip busy road, with enough distance from eachother for their music to not intervene with one another. one plays his own stuff. one plays popular songs adding his own twist and feel here and there.

who do you think makes more in a 4 hour session? it's obvious isn't it? and it's NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE EITHER. people hear you play a song they know and like and immediately connect with you. then they become receptive to your injected personality. and then they flip 2$ in your cup and walk along semi-dancing.'

We were talking about 'fanart' in both music and visual art. It's role in bridging the gap between creator and performer, and attracting an audience. Embrace fanart boys. It doesn't have to be Stephen Universe doing Fluttershy up the ass either, I'm sure there's plenty of tasteful IP's you personally liked and can totally add your own twist to. Watch that snowball your career to the top.
>>
https://www.patreon.com/sakimichan?ty=h

?
>>
>>2335952
While I see what you're saying, I actually think it's better to develop your own style and characters and put them out there, then every once in a while do a fanart piece. Then the novelty of it is even greater. It's only anecdotal evidence, but that's the trend I've seen garner the most success over the years.
>>
>>2335971

Agreed. Of course you have to work on your own stuff. But the ocassional fanart is what will get people interested in looking at your original stuff!
>>
>>2335952
Your friend is right, for musicians.
With artists you end up being compared to the really amazing fan artists out there if it's all you do or even a majority of your work.

>>2335969
Sakis a great example of this, any genderbent fan artist has to compete with saki. Any commission you sell or fan you make will have to deal with the fact that you're not saki.
>>
Are you guyz really trying just to live from comissions or patreon? If you are doing fanart just to get followers it shows in your work. Most art directors from respectful studios will spit on that.
>>
>>2335952
>who do you think makes more in a 4 hour session? it's obvious isn't it? and it's NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE EITHER.....and then they flip 2$ in your cup and walk along semi-dancing.'

Wait, are you talking about street performers in comparison with carnival caricaturists or something? Because you might as well compare them to fucking beggers at that point.

As far as professional artist vs professional musician goes, it's indeed not even close. Art is a profession with tons of well paying job opportunities whereis making a living as a musician is literally a "I wanna be a rockstar when I grow up!" pipedream. Even classically trained musicians who are absolute masters at their instrument and managed to get a spot in a world-reknown orchestra earn not even a fraction of the money that your average illustrator, comic book artist or concept artist makes.
>>
>>2336112
>street performers

Where I live buskers make pretty decent livings. In the summer at least.
>>
>>2336112
>Art is a profession with tons of well paying job opportunities

uh... okay buddy.

>Even classically trained musicians who are absolute masters at their instrument and managed to get a spot in a world-reknown orchestra earn not even a fraction of the money that your average illustrator, comic book artist or concept artist makes.

lmao... jesus... you have no idea man. buckle up because reality is going to hit you hard eventually.
>>
>>2336112
Don't know about burgerstan or wherever you are, but over here even a shit-tier band will make upwards of 300 euros a night per person playing in a restaurant/tavern/club. And that's on a slow night and with 0 charisma.

Playing on the street is for weekend hobbyists, friendless hipsters and broke travelers.
>>
>>2335952
Musicians are the prostitutes of art and the worst people among all artists.
He's being sociopathic, manipulating already ingrained emotions because he cannot create what he doesn't know. That's the way non-composers survive.

As a commercial artist, fan art will serve you much better as a spice than a full course. And I make this analogy because it's better to compare yourself with a restorant than a musician.
All restorants have their signature and they use ingredients or dishes as a seasonal thing to attract the unengaged to their business and hook them with what's different rather than what's familiar.

Sakimichan doesn't draw fan-art in the IP's style. And I bet you have never cared to find out who played the violin on this or that recording of Vivaldi's seasons.

For people to want to see your rendition of their favorite characters, they have to like you already. Otherwise you're "dA draws Sonic" tier unrecognizable.
>>
>>2336042
well what's not to like about living off from patreon. Seems more sane to me then wanting to work for corporations
>>
>>2335952
>musician calls you retarded
>don't smash his fucking face and kick its ribcage until it breaks
I am extremely disappoint. its your duty to put them on their place if they misbehave
>>
or instead of doing fanart of some cartoon character you could do master studies of other artists you like?

that's the whole thing with making a career in fine arts is you iterate on other artists. All successful artists were fanartists of their favorite painters, they just did things slightly differently subconsciously.

Drawing league of legends fanart isn't iterating on anything, unless you are doing digital studies of the art in the game or something. It's much more complicated than "doing fanart" OP
>>
>>2336640
>Musicians are the prostitutes of art and the worst people among all artists.
...musicians aren't people
>>
>>2337524

It's kind of cute how people on /ic/ can whine about their friends and family not taking their artistic pursuits seriously and then be this condescending about other artistic pursuits.
>>
>>2337541
They are just mad because they are unsuccessful
>>
>>2337541
>>2337552
You both don't fucking get it. this is a race war and we need propaganda
>>
>>2337541
Nigger, you haven't lived/slept with a musician.
>>
>>2337507
chill the fuck out, caravaggio. Holy shit.
>>
>>2336034
Saki's not even good, she has really bad anatomy and boring-ass compositions. Any good artist could give her a run for her money but they're too busy working.
>>
>>2335952
Well if your goal is sitting on a street corner getting paid in coins and crumpled 1 dollar bills then sure. Do some realistic charcoal celebrity photos from reference. But if you want to make more money you have to do things that are both original and easy for people to connect with.
>>
>>2336257
300 quid per head? for a bunch of rubbish misfits? people must be completely out of their minds where you live.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.