[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Official /his/ philosopher tier list: >Transcendental tier

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Official /his/ philosopher tier list:

>Transcendental tier
Nietzsche
Hegel
Heidegger

>High tier
Plato
Kant
Hume
Aristotle
Wittgenstein
Descartes
James
Stirner
Epicureans
Heraclitus

>Alright tier
Kierkegaard
Locke
Fichte
Augustine
Berkeley
Cynics
Pyrrhonian Skeptics
Socrates
Feuerbach

>Wtf tier
Foucault
Schopenhauer
Aquinas
Russell

>Shit tier
Sartre
Camus
Stoics
Neoplatonists
Whitehead
>>
>>695075
>nietzsche and hegel on the same level
Care to explain?
>>
>>695075
>shit tier
>Stoics and neoplatonists

Nice bait
>>
>Shit Tier
Camus
>Obligatorily hated by 20-year olds in their second-year intro to philosophy course
Sartre
>>
>>695083
They're incredibly similar philosophers, even if they disagree ultimately. You'd be surprised
>>
>Stirner in high tier
you mean official /meme/ meme tier?
>>
>>695127
He's actually a pretty good philosopher when you look past all the memes. I like him a lot myself.
>>
File: 1442630024064.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1442630024064.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>Hegel

Literally a meme philosopher.

And Kant should be Transcendental
>>
>>695075
Where does Toby Reynolds go?
>>
>>695127
Stirner is a good philosopher. Good enough to meme about
>>
File: image.jpg (88KB, 952x539px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88KB, 952x539px
>>695140
>being derogatory about memes
>literally imposing on me memes
>>
Why are Plato and Aristotle only high tier? You may not care for their philosophies, but they're some of the most influential to ever live.

I'd swap them with Heidegger.
>>
>>695236
Because I didn't rank them by influence
>>
>>695236
Also, stoics, shit tier? Come on man. They may have had some weird ideas, but their ideas for dealing with the stresses of life are pretty goddamn good. They at least deserve Wtf tier.
>>
>>695243
Then what did you rank them by? An ill-conceived notion of their having a better philosophy?
>>
>>695243
Well, obviously, because Stirner would be much lower then. But influence should count for something, at least when you're talking about philosophers whose works formed the basis of western philosophy.
>>
File: 1453186764781.png (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1453186764781.png
2MB, 1280x720px
>God tier
Peirce
James
Dewey
Wittgenstein
Quine

>Cool guys tier
Nietzsche
Schopenhauer
Stirner
Heraclitus
Stoics
Epicureans

>Shoulders of giants tier
Aristotle
Plato
Descartes
Hume
Kant
Hegel
etc.

>Absolutely haram tier
Aquinas
Buddha

This is objective and you cannot refute it.
>>
>http://philpapers.org/profile/2/myview.html
David Chalmers is a goat.
>>
>>695251
Actually even going by influence, Hegel and Nietzsche rank higher on today's philosophy. But that's besides the point.
>>
>>695267
Analytic plz go home. It's past your bedtime
>>
File: disgusted luke skywalker.jpg (42KB, 590x421px) Image search: [Google]
disgusted luke skywalker.jpg
42KB, 590x421px
>>695075
no Zizek *sniff*? I'm dissapointed
>>
>>695267
>anime
>analytics

kys
>>
>Transcendental Tier
Scientists

>Okay Tier
People who aren't scientists but at least don't...

>Shit Tier
...ramble about metaphysics.
>>
>>695075
Why pick on Camus.
>>
>>695424
Positivist pls go
>>
AQUINAS SHIT TIER

OH MY FUCKING DAYS

DELETE BOARD NOW MODS
>>
>>695460
He was wtf tier.

>>>/rel/ when?
>>
>>695454
Positivists don't even know that word familia
>>
>>695104

>Liking Camus

Are you 14?
>>
> rating philosophers
> not rating concepts
This is just fanboism.
>>
Spengler goes in WE ARE DOOMED tier

I like Spoingler.
>>
>>695508
Not him, but what's wrong with Camus? His philosophy seems like a pretty decent, albeit bare-bones, way of approaching existential nihilism.
>>
>>695609
I'm getting sick of the Camus bashing meme on 4chan as well.

It's illogical and just bandwagon riding.
>>
>>695075
> Having tiers without explaining what you're ranking
We're /sci/ now.
>>
Camus just seems more of a literary writer than a philosopher as such to me. What I derive from Camus is closer to Hemingway or Kafka than Kant or Spinoza or Husserl etc.

I prefer Camus to Sartre although the latter wrote works that are not narrative in form (eg L'etre et le Neant) that place him more firmly in the philosophical category.

>inb4 autists going "ACKSHUALLY..."

Yes, I know many philosophers have employed narrative modes as well, but unless you're retarded it's pretty easy to see the distinction between the didactic, argumentative style of philosophy on the one hand and novels and plays on the other.

Yes, the distinction isn't absolute, black and white, but it is real. Deal with it, you tedious hairsplitting faggots.

Yes, this board is actually this bad with the kneejerk contrarianism that I need to elaborate an innocuous statement like this so you fucking pedantic morons don't get triggered by it.
>>
Stirner, Schopenhauer and Plato should be top tier
>>
>>695694
>Plato

>the rabbit form somehow exists before rabbits as a species have evolved.
>>
>>695701
The forms are infinite and representative of everything there is and more
>>
>>695743
I do understand that, but to infer that a form exists as an actual thing rather than just a potential to be realised for the entire period prior to it's realisation, whenever that may occur seems like an inaccurate theory to describe reality as it exists rather than just what may exist.
>>
>>695743
>tfw waifu's are real
>>
>Actually do philosophy tier
Philosophers who debunk, who point out what's wrong and who use omission to remove what is wrong in philosophy

>Bullshitty woo-woo tier
Philosophers who 'confirm' what is 'true' and 'moral' and who use naive intervention to shove these 'truths' and 'values' down people's throats and completely ignore that they don't know everything and could be wrong about what they believe
>>
>>695624
It became cool to hate Camus on /lit/ so I'm not surprised its spread here.
>>
File: small minds.jpg (27KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
small minds.jpg
27KB, 480x480px
>>695512
This.
>>
>>695765

Can you name a philosopher who does the former without doing the latter?
>>
>>695685
>Camus more like hem, kafka than Spinoza
You know I'd still call him a philosopher, but this makes total sense to me
>>
>>695075
>Shit tier
>sartre
I am willing to bet that you have never read any of his books and are merely putting him in that category because he's an existentialist.
>>
>>695860

Watch out, we got a badass over here.
>>
>>695860
I have read him. I also put Nietzsche and Heidegger in top tier so you're literally retarded
>>
>>695624
OP here, I literally never read anything about Camus on 4chan, so your thesis is bunk. I'm very well capable of determining Camus is a hack on my own.
>>
>>695814

David Hume
>>
>>695512
>implying there are concepts without philosophers
>implying philosophy isn't just an unconscious memoir of it's author

There is no uncontextual idea. Please stop with the "ideas can be distilled" memery.
>>
File: 1455335888001.jpg (8KB, 300x358px) Image search: [Google]
1455335888001.jpg
8KB, 300x358px
>Schopi
>not high tier
>>
>>695793
What's hilarious about that quote is that it's a quote about people.
>>
>>695075
Schopenhauer should be higher and Parmenides should be above them all
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.