[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where should I go?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 2

File: My options.png (130KB, 442x464px) Image search: [Google]
My options.png
130KB, 442x464px
I have offers from the three in pic related.

I also have one from Manchester but I've grown up in the city and am frankly sick and tired of the place.

I know this is daft o'clock but I can always bump this in the afternoon if needs be. Indeed, if there are wide awake foreigners who are familiar with the relative merits of the relative history departments, I'd be happy to hear your opinion.
>>
>Studying history

kek
>>
File: wdytwa.jpg (6KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
wdytwa.jpg
6KB, 300x168px
>>684305
>>
>>684296
University of Bristol is the best uni there in terms of academic rigour. The rest are sad excuses for universities, especially Lancaster.
>>
>>684296
Washburn University

Roll Bods
>>
>>684826

What makes Lancaster so cack?
>>
Isn't Bristol a red brick uni?
>>
>>684902

Yes. As are Manchester and Sheffield.
>>
>>684880
Not Russell Group. Tells you it all. Academic rigour of a BTEC course.
>>
>>684911

"y u no > (into) Russell" Will be one of the questions I'll be asking when I visit them next week. Particularly as their entry standards are higher than those of Manchester and Sheffield.
>>
>>684923
The mistake students commonly make is that they think nominal entry requirements actually reflect acceptance of grades. Liverpools and Lancaster might give AAA, but there's no way in hell they'll reject you because you get AAB.

What the other two unis are doing are being honest. Everyone knows they are good without them having to inflate their offers.
>>
>>684937

May I ask (without you giving much away about yourself) what your authority is on the matter?

Not saying you're full of shit but I can only accept your opinion as being that from a random anon for now.
>>
>>684955
I am a 2nd-year law student. The number of "AAA" unis who happened to be in Extra, in Clearing, and taking in people ABB is ridiculous. Look at the average UCAS points for each course if you don't believe me: I guarantee Lancaster's is lower than the other two, despite giving the higher off.
>>
>>684955
>>684983
Actually, Sheffield's standard entry is lower (but then again it's at the shit end of the RG), but Bristol's is a lot higher. As I said, go for Bristol because it's the best course with the better students.

Don't be hoodwinked by a "higher offer".
>>
>>684983
>Look at the average UCAS points for each course

Where can I find these?

Personally, location is also a huge factor and Lancaster seems as comfy as fuck. I would have applied for Warwick because I am besotted with the town but when I learned it was actually in Coventry, that threw me right off.

I really appreciate your input btw.

Out of interest, where did you end up and how is it?
>>
>>685016
Complete University Guide. "Entry Standards" number under that. Because of Bristol's good name, you'll get more recruiters coming to the campus than you would at Lancaster and you'll generally be in a position employment wise.

I ended up at Exeter. It's a nice little city with lots of greenery. I would stay away from Warwick because you'll end up living an hour away from campus in godforsaken housing -- dreadful.
>>
>>685001

I'm coming out of a fairly shitty Northern college so I was rather flattered to get an offer from Bristol.

From my limited research, isn't Bristol a hotbed of public schoolboys who weren't good enough for Oxbridge, too soft to live in London and too lazy to go to Durham/St Andrews?
>>
>>685043
Aye, I am from a Northern shithole as well. It's good to know you're good enough, compared to the Southern softies who have been handed every opportunity.

Durham is full of Oxbridge rejects as well, more so than Bristol! Any of the decent ones will have a load of old boys, but it won't be too evident unless you make it so. Unless you make it a problem for yourself.
>>
>>685042

Cheers

Lancaster is also a nice little city and as well as greenery, it has the Lake District which is legitimately the most beautiful part of the entire country.

>>685055

I suppose there's a hint of Jamie Vardy about it (shitty analogy but the only one I have to hand), going straight from non-league to Premier League.

It's inevitable I'll have a chip on my shoulder to begin with but I'll soon have that "schooled" out of me I'm sure.
>>
>>685073
You'll lose a week in, mate. Don't worry about it.

The issue I'd have with Bristol is that its city is shit. All on one massive hill, "campus" (if you could call it that) spread out. Not for me, but I assume you've visited?
>>
>>685073
Lancaster might be more chilled out and relaxed and you might do better there as the academics are not as strict. Easier first.

What was your offer?
>>
>>685080

Not visited the Uni itself but I have visited the place on numerous occasions. Initially while working (spent a couple of years as a van lad - how working class is that) but also as a guest of a friend. I am enamoured with its connections to the industrial revolution (Brunel) and the slave trade (Thomas Clarkson) and its proximity to Chepstow and Cheltenham is a huge plus in my book.

>>685085

While being afforded the tranquillity that ensures a maximum performance, lax academics are not on my agenda. I'm used to being the best and while that would be much more difficult now I'm entering the national platform, it would be more satisfying to be among the leaders at a good institution than being at the top of a comparatively shitty one. Yet all the same, if a first from Lancaster is reputably similar to one from Bristol then is there that much of a difference in my long term prospects?

I have unconditional offers for all of the aforementioned as I've taken a year out.
>>
>>685131
>lax academics are not on my agenda
Not necessarily lax. Just not as strict. It doesn't mean you can't push yourself, but it might make it easier for you to stand out (perhaps get a high first as opposed to a 70% from Bristol).

>Yet all the same, if a first from Lancaster is reputably similar to one from Bristol then is there that much of a difference in my long term prospects?
Not really. The only difference will be Bristol's greater access to firms. Lancaster has many firms visit the uni (a lot), but Bristol will have more and slightly more intensive events. Naturally, you can overcome this by being proactive yourself and so it won't pose such a large issue.
>>
>>685142

My intention is to be a 7am gym, 9am-whenever lecture/seminar, whenever-8pm library and 10pm bedtime student.

I've lived the life of a youngster and my gf is doing her PhD (Neurolinguistics) on the continent. My sole intention is to get the best grade I can get.

For now, I'm not so much interested in private employers, rather I'm interested in my MA in three and a bit year's time.

Would somewhere like Paris, Berlin or Utrecht see a discernible difference between, say, Bristol and Lancaster?

>Utrecht has some arrangement with Sheffield that I have to follow up on.
>>
>>685190
Are you a mature student, might I ask? What course did you do? Grade achieved?

If you're talking about international reputation, Bristol definitely has the edge by miles.
>>
>>685203

ACCESS Student.

History, Literature, Politics.

Distinctions in every assignment.

>Even though Sheffield is purportedly tight with Utrecht?!
>>
>>685208
Aye, I did Access as well.

Sheffield does well in the world rankings, so that makes sense.
>>
>>685214

How did you get on in ACCESS and where did you end up? (If you're not Exeter Law anon)
>>
>>685225
I got 45 credits at distinction. And Exeter who only asked for 12 credits at distinction.

The offers for Access are just daft, so especially don't get hung up on the idea of "higher offer".
>>
>>685235

Christ almighty.

There was one woman in my class who got distinctions in all but History (66%) and she's at Uni of Manc doing Lit. The rest basically went to polys and counties.

Were you the top of your class?

Also, why the fuck are you still up?
>>
>>685251
The people on mine went to Northumbria, Royal Holloway, Sunderland. I got the highest on my course (actually I got the highest amongst all the pathways (nursing, science, etc)). Were you the highest on yours?

My sleeping pattern is fucked. Supposed to be researching restrictive covenants for land law, and procrastinating like a motherfucker. What about you?
>>
>>685265
>Were you the highest on yours?

By a furlong on the bit.

When I began the course, I was petrified I'd be exposed as being not-very-smart (had spent much of my youth homeless, hitchhiking, gambling, fighting and getting arrested for being a general prick). But I learned quite quickly (immediately actually as I'm quite sharp on European Capitals) that I was probably going to end up near the top of the class.

As months went on. I always made sure that I was kind and helpful to the ones who genuinely wanted to better their circumstances. But inevitably, there were those who thought I had no right to be on top of the class and I let them know how out of their depth they were if they thought they were the best ("That project you have been working on for three months? I started last night and I still got a D")

Sorry, just went onto a blog post for no particular reason.

I'm awake because I work at a soul destroying bureaux de change (minimum wage) and have had to deal with the fact that my gf hates my visiting female friend.

If you want to sleep then say so or ignore me. I should go to sleep myself.

Did you do halls or find a "mature" shared place?
>>
>>685308
I had a lass on my course who announced that my work did not deserve a D and I only got it because I was applying to Cambridge. Blah blah. She was thick as fucking shit and ended up getting 27 D.

I think the problem is that these people spend so long out of education and so long around simple friends where they're the alpha that they don't really get a sense of their intellectual place. They see someone doing better than them and they just cannot process it.

I too was nervous going in and soon the nerves ceased once you have a conversation with the others and all the rest.

I did halls. Thankfully, there are a lot of Asians who are of a similar age to me so I wasn't really out of place. I selected my halls honestly, did a questionnaire saying I wanted bookish nerds, and in the end I got billeted with that type of people. Worked out fine.

How old are you?
>>
>>685328
>so long around simple friends where they're the alpha that they don't really get a sense of their intellectual place

Oddly enough, this sums me up to a T.

I left school with nothing because I skipped the last two years. My family are full on working class scum as are my closest friends to this day. When I were a kid, hanging around the estate (Hattersley) and fighting other lads from slightly different areas (or just going to the bookies - I was a precocious maths sort) was more important to me than going to school. I was taught no better since most of my family are either dead, in jail or on the dole. I will be the first of my lineage to actually study at a university.

Indeed, while I met many educated sorts during my homeless, crashing on students' couches phase, I always felt most comfortable with the simple lads I grew up with. Not because I was an intellectual big-fish, but because I knew them and they knew me. My best mate is borderline retarded but we've saved each-other in fights and as we grew up, we helped one another. I were there when his dad died, he were there when I had a breakdown. Since then, we helped each-other grow and he's become a regional manager.

Blog post - forgive me. I've gone off on a complete tangent.

Returning to your initial point, I never consider myself better than my roots which, I presume is what your peer did - as did mine.

>I got billeted with that type of people

Does this billeting process occur at most Unis?

>How old are you?

>>
>Manchester
Great academics (I'm on the course), loved by recruiters (highest professional employment rate post-grad), leading research into Chinese and British working class history (Yangwen and Miller respectively), very nice course made up of optional modules and overall a nice city to live in.

>Bristol.
Very good academically (around 5 places above in the rankings if memory serves), good with recruiters also, very stringent course with less choice and a horrible city (my ex went there so we spent a lot of time walking up and down the hills).

>Other 2
Junk tier.

I'd base your decision on the kind of course you want, whether it be free choice to pick from countless modules that interest you or a few modules. I'll also lurk and answer any questions you want about the UoM History course.
>>
Expecting offers from; Glasgow, Edinburgh, and St. Andrews, Glasgow already offered

Any advice on which to go with for History & Politics, though only applied for single History at St. Andrews
>>
>>684296
>not oxbridge

why do you even bother?
>>
>>685881
Edinburgh is the way to go.
>>
>>684296
Go for Bristol, its highly ranked and well known.
>>
>>685900

Because I'm a poor, mature, working class scummer.

Best I can hope for is to study under Oxbridge exiles and do well enough to do my masters at either Paris, Berlin or Utrecht.

Given my circumstances, what would you suggest?
>>
>>685905

I've not been to the offer open days but as it stands;-

7/4 Bristol
9/4 Sheffield
11/4 Lancaster
16/1 Durham (they will jump to the head of the market if the make an offer)
66/1 Manchester (tired of the city)

102% book. Good thing I'm not studying maths.
>>
Next year is my last year of school before I have to apply for university. I want to study something like History/Politics or International Relations. What University should I go for?

I live in Norway but I'm attending the IB Diploma Programme so universities outside of Norway is no problem for me to get into.
>>
>>685055
>muh northern oppression

Fuck off and try growing up in Great Yarmouth like I did and come back and say that southerners "have been handled every opportunity" you deluded cunt
>>
>>685926

Nobody cares what you have to say you carrot munching inbred faggot.
>>
>>685924
My friend did international relations at the University of Kent and loved it, especially due to its plentiful options of studying abroad. That said, its in Canterbury which is really fucking small, apparently full of Tory cunts, and I'm not sure why they let my mate in considering how he spent his a level years doing drugs
>>
>>685929
Northern scum fuck off
>>
>>684296

Sheffield has Simon Loseby. Look him up - excellent Late Antique historian.
>>
Soon to-be history uni student here, need some help as well with a Uni, as well. I was thinking these 3: Bristol, Durham and Liverpool.
Which one would be the most "balanced" in a way of price and "prestige"? Or is the price for majority of Unis in britain nearly the same?
>>
>>686280

>Cost of living
Liverpool > Bristol/Durham (Oxbridge rejects pushing up the costs of living)

Conversely

Durham>Bristol>Liverpool for prestige.

Unless you're into trip-hop wannabes and cricket day-trippers, Liverpool is the best place culturally by a long stretch.
>>
>>686337
So I presume Bristol is dead in the middle in terms of price & prestige. How long does it generally take to get a teaching certificate? Could I have double courses or is it better to get the teaching certificate after I get my bachelor's?
>>
>>686353

How the fuck should I know?

Have you tried contacting the literal dozens of professors there?
>>
>>686397
Pardon me for asking too many abstract questions, although I have already sent out some questions to the professors, thanks for the info, anyway.
>>
>>686416

That was just a prelude to what you ought to expect at Bristol.

>Note how lowly it ranks pertinent to student satisfaction

Just giving you a heads-up, bro.
>>
>>685055
>>685043
As someone from a shit state school who's at Cambridge, the public schoolboys are generally alright.
>>
>>685906
>Because I'm a poor, mature, working class scummer.
I know people like this at cambridge.
>>
>>686492

What were their backgrounds?
>>
>>686497
The one I know best came from Barnsley, went to shit schools, got good grades but school and family didn't encourage them to do anything with it and so never went to uni initially. Applied late a few years later.

Plus Cambridge has whole colleges just for mature students like Darwin and Hughes Hall, so it's fine if you are a mature student, others will be around too.
>>
>>686337
Liverpool is a fucking shithole full of derelict houses and pubs and everyone looks like that it irish drug dealers wife from shameless

you're deluded if you don't think Bristol is better than the hole that is Liverpool
>>
>>685881
Did a year of history and a single module with the politics department at Edinburgh. Was very impressed. Also, Edinburgh's fucking lovely and a great city for students. Applying to do my Masters there at the moment.
>>
>>684983
Who gives a fuck about AAA uni's, their selection policy is likely completely arbitrary and you could end up still doing a shitty course, go to the fucking open days and see what uni you like the look of.

[spoiler]tfw went to Southampton Solent[spoiler]Fuck grammar school uni of cunts[spoilers]
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.