[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Rome series historically accurate?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: rome_1024x768_2.jpg (396KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
rome_1024x768_2.jpg
396KB, 1024x768px
Is Rome series historically accurate?
>>
>>682978
No, but I'm always reminded that I'm old when I encounter people who did not watched it.

It was very popular back a decade ago, and it still holds well.
>>
Very, very loosely.

First season was great though and the second was good for what it needed to do.
>>
how historically accurate does a film, show, or play have to be to be considered historically accurate?

Would a movie that is 75% historically accurate be considered a historically accurate movie?
>>
>>682978
No, but it gets the atmosphere down in a way that no other TV show or film has ever done successfully. It portrays Roman morals as distinctly different from our own. Like Octavian's mother getting him a prostitute to fuck, social class differences being ingrained, and slaves being treated as little more than pieces of furniture who you can have affairs in front of with no fear of tattling.
>>
File: 1420504084377.jpg (46KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1420504084377.jpg
46KB, 720x540px
>>682978
Historically accurate?
A little
Historically entertaining?
Yes
>>
>>682978
hell no

but it was awesome to watch and they captured roman society as well.
>>
>>683015

IMO to be historically accurate a film must not contradict its source material, but it may add elements not present in the sources that are still appropriate for the era.
>>
>>683015
they should at least make an effort, for example they can use wool sprayed silver instead of chainmail as long as it is clear they are basing it on the chainmail they actuall wore
>>
>>683094
>social class differences being ingrained
They play fast and loose with this one.
>>
>>684041
You are a fabulist.
>>
XIII
>>
File: image.jpg (129KB, 680x529px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
129KB, 680x529px
In terms of players? Not particularly. Costumes and sets are quite nice for a television production though.

Like an anon says before, it deals with Roman values and morals for the time quite well. The main characters commit murders, spousal abuse and consider killing children due to honor, yet maintain a likeability that transcends 2000 years of cultural differences. The religious aspect of curses and superstition are in good display. The treatment of slaves is well done in the sense of how they were simultaneously abusive yet viewed them as family. The women characters are really well written too, being very sympathetic yet extremely vindictive and manipulatively cruel themselves.

Also, who doesn't love a good bromance between Vorenus and Pullo, Antony and Vorenus, and Octavian and Pullo?
>>
>>684718
>They play fast and loose with this one.

Not really. Octavian is 'friends' with Titus as far as is possible but Titus still calls him dominus as befitting the relationship between a low-ranking pleb and a noble. Atia treats them with a combination of disdain and curiosity. Caesar only treats Posca well since he's been with him for so long and he's an educated Greek slave. Titus falling in love with a slave isn't that far fetched since such things were not unknown between low-ranking plebs (Titus is the son of a slave himself) and their slaves.
>>
>>683094
Best part it Pullo bashing a slaves head in and Vorenus goes: "He was my property!"
>>
>>685934
I remember somebody being admitted to the Senate…
>>
Wasn't the only appearance of Jews in Rome when Herod bribes Marcus Antonius with his Jew gold?
>>
>>686203
There's Atia's Jew servant who she fucks in the very beginning of E1
>>
>>686155
Vorenus was admitted into the Senate for the sole purpose of protecting Julius Caesar. Which he failed to do since he was told his wife had a son with some peasant.
>>
Shitty leather cuirasses of high rank officers annoy me.
>>
>>686251
No, he was admitted to the senate by Caesar for his own protection, but the senate admitted him due to the power of Caesar. Caesar had previously "promoted" Vorenus' class position with paper possessions. Once, sure, Twice, you're pulling our fucking leg.
>>
It's one of the few shows/films were I didn't feel like I was watching people dressed up as Romans. VERY good production, at least in Season 1. Good actors didn't hurt either.
>>
>>682978
>Is Rome series historically accurate?

No, but its very fun. Good watch. Shame about the hasty finish when they ran out of money.
>>
>>682978
no
but its believable
especially
ROMAN BREAD, FOR TRUE ROMANS
and the shit like that.
>>
>>687426
Pity they didn't put the olive oil advertisement for Maximus in Gladiator.

>wouldn't have felt real
>>
>>686217
There's also his brother in season 2. Also their pals in their "let's try to kill Herod" scheme. Also the synagogue (or whatever it was called at the time) where they break in and start a brawl.
So a complete subplot revolving around them in fact. And a pretty cool one with that.
>>
File: rome.gif (998KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
rome.gif
998KB, 500x282px
>>682978
The base storyline follows the major political events of the time. But it's an interpretation, so many things differ from the accounts of primary sources (but who can really trust them anyway).
It's a really good introduction to the period though, and a really good interpretation of characters that we will sadly never truly know.
The atmosphere is awesome, and really, the everyday life of the characters is pretty well rendered, with ony a few anachronisms here and there (paper or candles, that kind of small details).
Plus the necessary romantization of the serie is pretty well executed, never contradicting too much what we know of the events, or doing in a pretty clever way. Not much to throw away aside from Vorenus' family.
And pretty much all the actors playing major figures were excellent.
>>
>>682978
Better than most.
>>
File: james purefoy rome.jpg (57KB, 500x731px) Image search: [Google]
james purefoy rome.jpg
57KB, 500x731px
>>686394
>Good actors didn't hurt either.

Currently watching S02 and James Purefoy as Marc Anthony should have won an Oscar, or whatever tv actors get.
>>
File: caesar vorenus.jpg (211KB, 1200x789px) Image search: [Google]
caesar vorenus.jpg
211KB, 1200x789px
>>686368
>Vorenus

> No, he was admitted to the senate by Caesar for his own protection

Caesar wouldn’t sentence Vorenus to death for disrupting the execution of Pullo and rescuing him, as he had become a favorite of the people, so promoting him to the Senate did protect Vorenus but Caesar could have banished him or punished him some other way instead.

But Vorenus’ promotion was primarily to protect Caesar, as none of the Senators would dare try anything with Vorenus there, which the plotters point out, until Servilia hits on the plan of luring Vorenus away with the news of his wife’s infidelity.
>>
Historically Pullo was a centurion for Ceasar but later joined Pompey during the civil war.
>>
>>682988
Not everyone's American.

I knew it was airing when it was, but it never really caught my attention nor anyone else I know of, plus online streaming wasn't really a thing for it to get popular outside of the US.

Not OP though.
>>
>>682988
>It was very popular back a decade ago
Fuck, why did you have to point that out. Now I feel old.
>>
>>686368
Everyone comments on how absurd and appalling Vorenus becoming a senator is tbf
>>
That's like asking if Xena is historically accurate
>>
>>689464
You mean it isn't? Seems accurate to Herotodus.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.