[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

food history

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: supersizers go.jpg (45KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
supersizers go.jpg
45KB, 512x288px
Let's talk food history.

Any favorite TV programs or books about historical food/food in history?

Supersizers Go was one of my favorites. I wish they would have done it for different countries as well.
>>
good show, she is my favorite lesbian
>>
Back in 2012 I went to a Titanic dinner where they recreated the 10-course dinner meal from the first class. Not my pic, but it was good times.
>>
Ive always had an idea for a book, that tells world history through certain dishes/ ingredients and features historic recipes.

I think dumplings should be one, With heavy emphasis on China and the silk trade.

Perhaps the humble potato or tea for the colonial era.

Anyway what do you think /his/?
>>
>>682842
I'm just dumping some random stuff i've read in the past month. Talking about europe here.
>the standard whine people drank in the late middle ages was white whine
>in places that are in some distance to the sea you'd only ever eat "fresh" fish in the winter months because the cold weather could conserve it during the transport. Freshwater fish was very expensive, even the rich rarely ate it
>(from some book about austrian history) an austrian historian looked at the meal plan for the attendants and temporary workers of castles in the 14th to 15th century. Eating meat two times a day was actually common. He estimated, that such an attendant would easily eat on average well above 100kg meat per person per year, surpassing todays meat consumption (90kg). Also they ate a lot of soup.
>meat consumption in europe in the beginning of the 19th century was on average around 15k per person per year
>rye was the food of the poor
>corn prizes were very dependant on the annual weather. They would shoot up on average every 11-12years, because of bad harvest and then go down again.
>the usual domestic grazier you'd see in europe of the dark ages was the sheep. Between the 11th to the 12th century they were displaced by cattle
>>
>>682842

Clarissa and the King's Cookbook was a lovely little documentary as part of the BBC's medieval season.

Basically a modern cook looks into medieval cooking, particularly from The Forme of Cury, and replicates some of the dishes.

https://youtu.be/803rjwGlS-U
>>
>>682842
A History of the world in 6 glasses by Standage is pretty neat, it goes through beer, wine, spirits, coffee, tea and coca cola to widely describe certain historical trends and tries to (in a small way) connect them with the drinks.

There's also a similar book for food, but that didn't read as well for me.
>>
I'm also quite fond of the Liber Cure Cocorum. It is a 15th century cook book, not only written with an identifiable north-western English accent, but it's also written entirely in rhyme.

Lampreys in broth.
Take lampreys and scald them by kind,
Then, roast them on griddle, and grind
Pepper andsaffron; boil it withal,
Add the lampreys and serve it in hall.

A fair few interesting recipes and ingredients being used, but I especially love it because it's yet more evidence of medieval people being just as quirky and wierd as we are.
>>
>>683175
History in Six Glasses did that with drinks. Tea, beer, wine, coffee, cola and something else.
>>
When sailors went for long voyages to America what did they eat and drink?
It must have sucked.
>>
>>683451
Well, once the ships got bigger, you had cattle and everything, so they did eat meat as well.

But the mainstay food would be hard bread biscuits or something along those lines.

Pic related, this one is from fucking 1852.
>>
>>683384
Thanks mate, I'll have to give it a read.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.