[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HEMA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

File: HEMA.jpg (218KB, 650x330px) Image search: [Google]
HEMA.jpg
218KB, 650x330px
I've been practecing HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) since I was 11, nine years have past and I'm now a teacher in the group. (Which is the first and only state recognized HEMA instetution). I've used the translations of the manuscripts done by my teacher.

Do you guys have any other translated manuscripts? Since Preferably English, German isn't my strong point.

Also, what do you guys think about HEMA?
>>
>>678786
>Also, what do you guys think about HEMA?
pretty neat, is it more sword based combat?
are there aspects of physical unarmed combat included?
>>
>>678786
Why don't you go live in the black forests of Germany while worshiping the old gods of the forest and attack any unsuspecting Mediterranean scum that dare trespass into the dark sacred realm of Woden?
>>
>>678786
There was a time befroe christianity when people worshiped old gods and goddesses but not anymore but why do they worship a middle eastern god but make him look white? why do people go to meachuurches designed ike theteres and wave their arms and blindly support the corporate elite?
>>
>>678811
>>678817
?????
>>
>>678786
the spirit of the forest never left germanics. The woodsmen of later times , did they not dwell with the animals they hunted? this alone proves christianity is the true religion as it so versatile
>>
>>678799
Yes there are, we specialize in the German schools and traditions, and they were pretty big on wresteling. Which in it's own right is a martial art.
>>
>>678817
>>678811
Would you mind fucking off? You're off topic and contributing to lower level discourse.

>>678829
Christfags are taking up the old mantle of being the true fedorafags.
>>
>>678811
All these manuscripts were written by Christians...They're medieval manuscripts..But I fail to see why religion should be a thing in martial arts.
>>
>>678830
what sort of time period(s) of martial combat do you practice?
>>
>>678799
And then you have ''Ringen am Schwert'' Wrestling around the sword, which is basically wresteling with the sword when you are to close to the enemy to strike with your sword.
>>
>>678786
I wonder where the prominence of East Asian martial arts in western society over other forms comes from anyways?
I feel like its mostly Bruce Lee
>>
>>678840
The late medieval period, 13th to 16th century. Mostly Lichtenhauer (The oldest, and best known sword master) although none of his work survived, his students wrote down his style. He coverd many weapons such as the Lange Messer and the Long sword but also sword and buckler And Joachim Meyer who was a tournemnt fighter in the 16th century which is completely different.
>>
>>678852
Because this is a martial art which died out for hundreds of years and has only been revived in the recent past.
>>
>>678833
>and Moot
my sides
>>
File: 12th century knight.jpg (157KB, 785x1025px) Image search: [Google]
12th century knight.jpg
157KB, 785x1025px
I've been looking into getting started in HEMA. I'm like 15 minutes outside NYC and I think they have a school there.

Any advice OP?
>>
What do you think about Matt Easton
>>
>>679144
I like him
>>
>1707
>not shifting the leg
>>
>>679554
Is this image a manlet joke?
>>
>>678786

There are alot of skilled guys in hema, its a pity though that so few living lineages survive like in Japanese sword arts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOcxTM7HREM
>>
>>679614
I wouldn't count frat bros cutting each others' faces up to look cool as a real martial art lineage.
>>
>>679614
They survive in sport fencing
>>
File: 2191568960_1d68c7f150.jpg (138KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
2191568960_1d68c7f150.jpg
138KB, 500x333px
>>680055
I'm pretty sure there are one or two surviving schools other than that practice (I forget what its called) There were people in the west, less than one hundred years ago, still training with swords to kill.

>>680060
survive is the wrong word.
>>
>>680077
Academic Fencing, or Mensur.
>>
>>678786
>I've been practecing HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) since I was 11, nine years have past and I'm now a teacher in the group.
No, you didn't. You are a bloody newfag.
There is a HEMA thread in >>>/asp/ with links to all sources, translations and meta sites.
Keep trying.
>>
>>680124
>Academic Fencing, or Mensur.
Which has nothing to do with either killing of fencing.
>>
>>678811
Can't you go talk about your imaginary friends somewhere else?
>>
>>678786
>nine years HEMA
>doesn't know here to find sources
Wanna try again newfriend?
>>
>>680077
Jogo do pau, various folk wrestling styles did survive, and some elements of sport fencing. Thats about it. Everything else has to be reconstructed from old manuals.
>>
>>678786
Does HJMA exist? I have a decent amount of training in Jukendo (Japanese bayonet-based martial arts)
>>
File: Bartitsu.jpg (159KB, 503x690px) Image search: [Google]
Bartitsu.jpg
159KB, 503x690px
>>678852
Wrong. Start with mid 1800's when China and Japan occupied popular imagination.

Hell some made up martial arts in UK adopted a Pseudojapanese name.

Hell, the US even had a fasc
>>
>>680397
Contd

Hell, the US even had a fascination for Southeast Asian Martial arts - particularly from their pet Filipinos- hence Karambits and Balisongs in the US.
>>
>>680360
>Does HJMA exist

Yes, Their called koryu, in fact koryu spear techniques were incorporated into the prewar jukenjutsu which forms the basis of jukendo.

Many of them are also available in the west, even more so than jukendo which is pretty rare outside Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRfQjj8ltEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ZHHKU1DPc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHa9KUSCn3s
>>
>>680408
Is there a society or something I can join in the US that lets me perform jukendo training with others? I can't guarantee I can teach like a true sensei, but to continue training now that I'm in the US would be great.
>>
>>680397
>>680403
>>678852
Sort of this. Asian arts started popping up in the west in the 19th century, probably due to a mix Orientalism, and an interest in things that were seen as a novel alternative to boxing and wresting (the only western martial arts popular at the time). Sherlock Holmes was supposed to practice bartitsu (which wasn't just made up, Barton-Wright actually did study Jujutsu). Teddy Roosevelt did Judo.

But the real push for Asian arts becoming popular was the end of WWII. American soldiers stationed in Japan (and later Korea) eventually started learning local arts, and Asian martial arts skyrocketed in popularity. Chuck Norris and Elvis Presley first learned Karate/Tangsoodo in the military. Bruce Lee did a lot to popularize Chinese arts, but he only became popular in the first place because there was a cultural precedent for interest in Asian martial arts.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.