[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Playing Victoria II >Hegelian Idealism is a researchable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 13

File: 1450823650656.jpg (316KB, 1584x1089px) Image search: [Google]
1450823650656.jpg
316KB, 1584x1089px
>Playing Victoria II
>Hegelian Idealism is a researchable technology
>tfw

Are grand strategy games the most /his/ form of entertainment?
>>
File: 1453295411451.png (727KB, 536x536px) Image search: [Google]
1453295411451.png
727KB, 536x536px
As far as making you think as a ruler and giving you real problems of the period, then yes.
I myself like AC II, M&B (with anno domini), Medieval II: Total War, Crusader Kings II, and Pirates! (for C64). Pic unrelated
>>
>>672443
>shitoria "liquor factory simulator" 2
wew
>>
I was a victoria 3 to have female, children and old age pops.
>>
>>672531
well the Population in Vic2 is supposed to be a nuclear family with men, women and 2 children.
But yeah I actually agree, definitly on the women part. Could be pretty interesting to integrate women int Military and Workforce to get more returns as the USSR and the Taipings.
>>
>>672531
mite b cool

But the thing is too much detail in pops would probably turn the game into a sluggish mess and more importantly encourage genocide/eugenics policies in the wacky userbase which Paradox seem ridiculously sensitive about. So it probably won't happen.
>>
>>672523
I'm just getting into it, the economy system is the most complicated I've encountered in any strategy game and I'm confused about how to build an army. It's cool but I'm kind of a grand strategy babby anyway.
>>
>>672443

Oh most definitely

>Playing Fatal Alliances
>A-H.
>Embark on stupid attacks that I know are premature in the sense that if I wait a little longer, I can maneuver into a better position and take the same objectives with fewer losses.
>But as a result of wading in my own men's blood, I knock out the Serbs quicker, and even advance a little into Russia.
>Do all of this so I can secure more political points than normal.
>Funnel those into Italy.
>Get Italy to join the Central Powers rather than swinging over to the Allies. (As an aside, Italy has funny rules. With literally every other "neutral" power, if say, the central powers give 2 shifts, and the Allies give 2 shifts, it's functionally equivalent to neither of them trying to influence the country. Italy's alone in having two seperate tracks, and the first to get to 15 aligns Italy: It means that the ahistoric "Italy joins Central Powers" is more likely than ahistorica "Italy stays neutral."

Now we just need to grab some raw materials from somewhere so we can use the 8 new factories we picked up. Russia can spare some stuff, can't they? Although I suppose I'll have to beg Germany to do it, since my ranks are a bit thin.
>>
>>673008
Protip: 4inf 4art 2cav and you'll be good. Of course most of the time you'll just be throwing stacks of draftees so army composition won't matter much
>>
>>673055

Fatal alliances? What's that? I'm guessing WW1, but literally never heard of it.
>>
>tfw no Cold War Paradox game
>>
File: 1448385296205.jpg (20KB, 201x241px) Image search: [Google]
1448385296205.jpg
20KB, 201x241px
>>672443
>Are grand strategy games the most /his/ form of entertainment?

Yes. Also, I love Victoria II but the economic system is just so fucked. I wish I knew how to code to try to unfuck it, but it needs a lot of work.

They don't take into account price bidding as far as I can tell, so pops don't pay more for things they Need, as they would in an actual economy. Therefore, the poor always end up with no wool and their Needs are unmet, while the British Indian factories always suck it all up.

There also need to be accurate transportation costs in place. That way Indian factories sucking up all the cotton from the American South have to actually pay more to get it shipped in, ensuring pops can get their needs met easier while also accurately reflecting the geographic constraints of the time period. I mean, you're not just building those railroads for soldiers.

You need to be able to make more than 8 factories per state, and multiple factories of the same type (owned by different companies and traceable to certain capitalists rather than an amorphous blob of them) in order to more accurately reflect competition and its effects on the economy. It also needs more than a simple (base product) > (end product) model. For instance, timber > furniture, jungle wood > luxury furniture? Resources have more than once use, and if that was reflected then pops bidding for what they want/need would produce a more lively economic system less prone to Vicky 2's usual hangups.

I mean, I see Britain and the USA invade Arabia for sheep every damn game, just because wool gets so necessary to prevent fascist revolts because of unmet Needs. I love this game, but still. Johan pls, my autism can't handle this.
>>
>>673199

Dont some of the Hearts of Iron series have cold war expansion packs?
>>
>>673201
although the economy is shit, relatively speaking it is quite nice.

It at least TRIES the immensely complex task of balancing the entire world of 100s of provincial production nodes.

I just hate looking at vicky 2 economy and seeing the basic bullshit they threw into eu, ck2, and even hearts of iron.

You could create an entire game of the economics, which it my opinion should be at least equal to military in terms of development priority in a grand strategy game.
>>
>>673213
It's shit.
>>
>>673216
True, but even though Eu4 and CK2 are quite basic in many aspects, the Vicky 2 economy is no exception. It falls short of what it needs to be to be a more accurate reflection of what it's portraying.

But then again, every time I introduce friends to these games it takes me hours to teach them the ropes. Then for the next two weeks they're shooting me messages asking about more stuff they encounter. Even after clocking over 600 hours in both CK2 and Eu4, I still was discovering new stuff that had been there since day one on accident. So I've really got to give props to Paradox for attempting to tackle the complexity of history and gamify it for us turbonerds. I guess when compared to the incredible complexity of actual history, no game we're capable of making right now can really compete.

If only /his/ could get together with /g/ and make vidja.
>>
>>673216
>I just hate looking at vicky 2 economy and seeing the basic bullshit they threw into eu, ck2, and even hearts of iron.
The MEIOU & Taxes modding team is planning to completely overhaul EU4's economy, by the way. It'll basically be V2 in miniature. Food will be transported between regions to feed the largest cities, production will be split between rural and urban areas, raw and refined materials will be differentiated...
>>
File: 1452960926799.jpg (43KB, 446x456px) Image search: [Google]
1452960926799.jpg
43KB, 446x456px
>>673377
Amazing.
>>
>>673445

The TL;DR version of planned changes (the full version is in the forums and r/ParadoxPlaza):
>M&T will be changing in a fundamental way. The new system will track the inevitable march of urbanization. Great Cities will be tremendously powerful. They will rise and fall, centers of trade will shift, and many other new changes are coming!
>Base tax, production, and manpower will be changed to Rural Population, Urban Population, and Upper Class Population. Literal population numbers will now be represented in game. How urbanized your country is will be the new determinant of "development level."
>Each province has an Ideal Level of Population. It can be improved or degraded. but very slowly. The lower you are below the ideal level, the faster the population grows. The higher you are above the ideal level, the slower population grows. Because of this, provinces decimated by war, plague, or famine can recover much more quickly than before.
>Cities in a given area rise to prominence and attract people from the entire geographic area to be part of the city. However, these "Prominent Cities of the Area" can lose their special status if other cities eclipse them in power and importance. Centers of trade, as well, can be usurped by other provinces who have acquired the greatest trade power in the trade node.

(part 1 of 2)
>>
>>673460
(part 2 of 2)

>Just as there are prominent cities in a geographic "area," there are also prominent cities for each geographic REGION. Having a "Prominent City of the Region" is a coveted status which gives not only an important bonus to the province, but also to the whole country. In some regions of the world, who holds this status can be in tight contention.
>In each sub-continent and continent, there is also a Prominent City of the Sub-Continent and Prominent City of the Continent.
>There are many ways to attract urban population to a specific area, aside from what we've mentioned. For instance, a capital will increase the Ideal Urban Population Level of a province relative to the total size of the country. Also, urban populations can be destroyed much more quickly than rural populations, but they can also recover much more quickly as well so long as the Ideal Urban Population Level doesn't change.

The developers say that they should have it done by summer.
>>
File: 1447007071980.jpg (117KB, 469x910px) Image search: [Google]
1447007071980.jpg
117KB, 469x910px
>>673462
Sounds great, will it be on the workshop or will I have to go find it?
>>
>>673484
MEIOU & Taxes is available both on Steam and on the official Paradox forums. Personally, I'd advise downloading it from the forums--you never know when a save-breaking hotfix will be uploaded.
>>
>>673462
>>673462
MEIOU is already overburdened with scripts, with high amounts of lag. Won't this make things worse and make the game actually unplayable?
>>
>>672523
t. Rob
>>
File: lVBiia4.jpg (632KB, 1490x2000px) Image search: [Google]
lVBiia4.jpg
632KB, 1490x2000px
>>673094
4inf 4 art 1eng 1dra is arguably better. Also don't forget to add armor and planes as they become available
>>
File: bros4lyfe.png (2MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
bros4lyfe.png
2MB, 1366x768px
Why not play one of the two only good GS games?
>>
>>673008
The economy is literally based on liquor
>>
>>673094
Need one more inf for line slot backup
>>
>>675288
How so?
Like, liquor is the only way to make a real profit, or you need to have a lot of liquor on stock so people don't get too depressed in your factories?
>>
File: 1444164409758.png (174KB, 1090x1210px) Image search: [Google]
1444164409758.png
174KB, 1090x1210px
>>
>>675282
What game is that?
>>
File: judea.png (2MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
judea.png
2MB, 1366x768px
>>675491
EU:Rome
>>
>>675682
wait wut
I didn't know that existed
fuck
>>
>>675462
No, it's that grain which is needed to produce liquor is very plentiful and cheap, and combined with the fact that liquor sells for a pretty nice price makes a lot of strategies depend on liquor based industries
>>
>>675682
I WANT EU: ROME 2 OR EU GAME IN EARLY ANTIQUITY REEE

we don't need any more sequels about the same fucking shit
>>
>>673484
>for holidays
???
>>
>>675682
I really like the idea of EU Rome, and I've spent quite a few hours on it, but I feel like it's such a half-assed effort. The game just feels extremely shallow and pointless. The map is too small (should have more provinces and/or cover a wider area), the combat is primitive, and it's just depressing to see how static the world feels? Especially the colonies, they just feel pointless aside from map-painting.
>>
>>676048
Dank, hyperrealism desu
>>
File: image.jpg (503KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
503KB, 1600x900px
>>673219
>>673213
>>673199

>Someone didn't download the leaked version of Hearts of Iron East vs West
>>
>>676852
It's unfinished shit tho
>>
>>673663
No. They're lowering the amount of checks.
>>
File: scanborders.png (826KB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
scanborders.png
826KB, 1280x768px
>>675690
Thankfully now you do :) Try Reign of the Ancients mod, I haven't gotten it to work yet but it looks awesome.

>>676498
Right? A proper one that doesn't really allow you to blob, maybe set during Diadochi times or--get this--in Italy in the 500's or 400's BC, with babby Rome trying to dominate just Latium, let alone Italy.

>>676837
Did you only play it for an hour or so? The more I play it the more I can get into it. Combat is better than EU or CK combat, with more unit types, a better morale system, and basically nonexistent reinforcement in enemy territory meaning that you can't just doomstack your way to the enemy capital.

Colonies are the opposite of pointless once you see how they work. Pontus and Carthage are great nations for colonization, and show how you can double your incoming by doubling the amount of provinces you own, rather quickly. The game's actually very dynamic, within thirty or fifty years the whole geopolitical situation can change and necessitate change of alliances and shit.

As compared to EU3 where, for example, as Scandinavia I held a PU with France from 1700 to endgame, and an alliance with England/Great Britain from about 1700 to endgame...so England and France never fought. Talk about static.
>>
>>677212
Eh i guess you're right, I didn't play it for just an hour but on the other hand didn't exactly fully engage with it. I'll give it another go.
>>
>>677290
Yeah, I suggest playing as Rome in the earliest start, or the Seleucids but starting after the war with Egypt ends. To learn some basics and get into it.
>>
>>676518
>he doesn't get Victoria Day presents
>>
File: saker-falcon-drawing-small.jpg (19KB, 300x224px) Image search: [Google]
saker-falcon-drawing-small.jpg
19KB, 300x224px
>>673201
>just because wool gets so necessary to prevent fascist revolts
I havn't played v2 since heart of darkness came out. Is this really a serious problem? I could never get the facists to turn out in significant numbers compared to other rebels. The only thing that made them gain strength was revanchism, which requires you to play badly on purpose...
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 604x618px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 604x618px
>>677537
>Russia shill

Fuck you
>>
>>677537
I can't remember when it was, because I played for so long and then haven't touched the game in like 2-3 years now.

But yeah, I would get fascists and especially communist rebels because of the unmet Needs bumping my revolt risk just enough to be dangerous, even though everything else in my country was fine.

Shit sucked.

>>677548
чтo?
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.