[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not sure if I should go to /biz/ instead but here I am. What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

File: foundation-logo.jpg (158KB, 648x429px) Image search: [Google]
foundation-logo.jpg
158KB, 648x429px
Not sure if I should go to /biz/ instead but here I am.

What kind of jobs are available for people who studied (military) history?
>>
>>670009
Your abilities individually will count for more than that degree.
>>
McDonalds
>>
Court Jester
>>
>>670018
That's what the government is for.
>>670014
Could you give an example?
>>
I have a Masters in history from a top 20 university.

I have been serving coffee at Starbucks for the past 5 years.

Virtually all of my fellow graduating class is in a similar situation.
>>
>>670014

Liberal arts kids always say this to console themselves but it's simply not true.
>>
>>670009

McDonalds
Starbucks barista
Wal-Mart
Janitorial staff
Uber driver
Preschool teacher (if you're a female)
>>
Will the fact that I'm in Europe make any difference?
>>
>>670051

Lucky you. You can just go on welfare then and live the life of a NEET.

If you were in America, you'd have to study a real subject like engineering, accounting, or medicine; otherwise enjoy making minimum wage with your precious liberal arts degree like this >>670030 cuck.
>>
I suppose teaching in secondary school is always an option, isn't it?
>>
>>670009
just become a history teacher

lie to your department chair about what you are actually doing in class and spend an unnecessary amount of time on battles and hope you never get observed
>>
>>670009
The same for any other PhD qualified historian.
>>
>>670030
What is it like to know of the great stories of mankind, the great triumphs and disasters, while having to serve people coffee everyday? Especially people who probably couldn't point out where the Holy Roman Empire was on a map?
>>
>>670009
Acquire military training and lead the charge against the Muslims in the upcoming crusade.
>>
>>670030
>I have a Masters in history from a top 20 university
So you failed your quals.
>>
>>670051
Join the Civil Service depending on your country, the Brits take anyone with a degree as long as you pass their test, and they've got a fast track programme for their recent graduates, no idea about other European countries
>>
>>670009
Military historians are held in even greater contempt than those who study social, gender and minority history, because those fields at least get the majority of departmental funding nowadays, whereas military history gets none.
>>
>>670972
>social, gender and minority history, because those fields at least get the majority of departmental funding
I think you mean political history smuggled back in via "cultural history".
>>
>>670217

Everyday I regret not having chosen a STEM major.
>>
Get some military training and go fight in a war.
>>
>>670217
Sir, your coffee is getting cold.
>>
>>670009
you could join a military and be part of their historical division.
>>
>>670999
>coursework masters
>>
>>670161
>This
topkek
Students won't know shit about Olvidares' Union of Arms but they will know the name of every ship deployed at the Battle of Trafalgar.
>>
>>671046
Or the Finno-Korean hyper-war
>>
>>671017
I think that's just an American thing. Google yields no helpful search results with "uk" or "netherlands" added.
>>
>>670009

Barista
>>
>>670009
> What kind of jobs are available for people who studied (military) history?
McDonald's and leader of insurgents. The latter has a terrible job security, though.
>>
>>670009
You can get a job in one of those military history factories... oh wait.

Just join the police, it's not a bad job and at least in my country they take anyone with a finished high school
>>
Lots of manual labor and service jobs I'd imagine.
>>
>>670009
Go to bartending school and get a job as a barkeep.
>>
B.A. in Archaeology M.A. in History (Ancient)

I don't worry about jobs because I'll inherit 7 houses and can live pretty comfy with rent bux. If you have to work in order to survive, don't pick up liberal arts.
>>
This thread is a bit depressing.

A masters or doctorate will improve my employment oppertunities though right?
>>
>>672345
you are a funny guy anon
>>
>>672345
a phd would qualify you for floor manager, sure
>>
one could perhaps live a life of genteel poverty
>>
>>672345

A doctorate would open up many employment opportunities in academia, probably give you a better chance at having a book published, perhaps museums.
>>
>>672379

>ITT: blatant falsehoods
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=obTNwPJvOI8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6KkluiR5Rns
>>
Well if it's so hard to get a job actually related to the matter, why is it an option?

I mean, movies and vidja often have historic consultants on the dev team to ensure historical accuracy. I really can't help but feel everyone's taking the piss.
>>
>>672426

No
>>
>>672463
What do you think is the ratio between the number of historic consultants and the number of people with a history degree?
>>
>>672463
>>672473

ITT: no comprehension of supply and demand
>>
File: 1452853278697.png (4MB, 1620x2260px) Image search: [Google]
1452853278697.png
4MB, 1620x2260px
I wish I was doing history so I could follow the career path to become a historian

but nooooo, here I am, stuck in shitty "health management"
>>
>>672463
> why is it an option?
Free Market. Blatantly telling people "there will be only 180 workplaces for this year graduates in the whole US of A" is equivalent to introducing Planned Economy. And that's bad, because reasons.

Also, having a lot of competition for a single workplace ensures sufficiently servile attitude of the hired.
>>
>>672486
kek, should've said, "history professor"

apparently one cup of coffee was not enough
>>
>>672482

Do you have any idea if how many universities there are in North America not to mention community colleges? There is no shortage of academic jobs. You just have to suck it up and go to another city.
>>
>>672528

OK, have fun teaching intro history to community college students in Juno, Alaska.
>>
>>671587

Sandhurst m8. Go to a military college and teach the officer cadets.
>>
>>671587
The American army is huge, they can afford to have dedicated history officers. Not sure how it works there, but the few officers who work in history in the Australian army are appointed - and only really once they reach staff rank. As you Brits also have a relatively small army, I'd say it's not too different there either. You'd have to work your way up the ranks in some other corps (I imagine a combat one) and get noticed by the right people after displaying the right interest. Almost every military on Earth has a journal, you'd probably have to contribute heavily to that.
>>
>>672539

Alaska is awesome fuck you
>>
File: images (5).jpg (12KB, 347x424px) Image search: [Google]
images (5).jpg
12KB, 347x424px
Become a fleet admiral
>>
>>670051
depends
Most of the time no
>>
Police?
>>
Well shit. Looks like if I want to make a living with the only subjects I have found interesting my entire life, I have to either take a service industry job or work for the government. I'm not sure what's worse.
>>
File: If only....jpg (32KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
If only....jpg
32KB, 640x480px
>>672930
I died a bit inside when he was killed. I wish he got the end he deserved.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.