[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why in the fuck did Europeans need so many torture devices? What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Medieval-Torture-Instruments[1].jpg (42KB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
Medieval-Torture-Instruments[1].jpg
42KB, 500x330px
Why in the fuck did Europeans need so many torture devices? What was it with Europeans and their love of senseless violence?
>>
>>667550

Why don't you go ask ISIS, seeing as how they've switched places with 15th century Europe for the time being.
>>
>Medieval-Torture-Instruments
>includes the fucking iron maiden
I can see why people on /his/ like to shit on the Renaissance and Early Modern period so much, because it has such a better reputation than the Medieval period yet a lot of the shit that gets dumped in the 'myth-that-Medieval-Europe-was-horrible' pile deserves to be dumped in the Renaissance/Early Modern pile, even though I love both periods.

Possibly the most cruelest period of European history apart from the 20th century would have to be the 16th and 17th centuries, when there was real torture, real witch hunts, and real violence against civilian populations.

The Hundred Years War and the Plague were bad, but not quite so swift and concentratedly violent as the 30 Years War, French Wars of Religion, and German Peasants War.

Anyway, they were primarily violent because there were a lot of malicious people amongst a dense population that was greatly polarized by secular and nonsecular issues.
>>
>>667550
Waterboarding hadn't been developed.

Torture was primarily about either
a) Showing the implements (which got results)
or
b) Public demonstrations

In the case of b) why not be theatrical?
>>
>>667550
A lot of torture devices are 19th century inventions that people came up with to fill the basements of their old castles with in order to attract tourists.
>>
Whites are savages, obviously. Their entire history is just composed of senseless violence.
>>
>>667580
Objectively this is obviously 100% true, if you disagree you're a cuck.
>>
>>667580
Whites are a myth created by pan-Africanists in the 1930s to justify their talented tenth's exploitation of the vast majority of the working class.
>>
>>667571
this.
>>
>>667550
All in the name of Christ
>>
>>667953
This
>>
>>667571
>A lot of torture devices are 19th century inventions that people came up with to fill the basements of their old castles with in order to attract tourists.

really? Do you have any examples of somewhat famous medieval torture devices that were made in the 19th century to attract tourists?
>>
>>667550
The Persians and the chinks had worse shit my cuckolded friend
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaphism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingchi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waist_chop
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishikozume
>>
>>667550
You mean asians and amerindians didn't use torture?
>>
>>668893
On the iron maiden ; "However, no account has been found earlier than 1793, although medieval torture devices were catalogued and reproduced during the 19th century. Wolfgang Schild, a professor of criminal law, criminal law history, and philosophy of law at the University of Bielefeld, has argued that putative iron maidens were pieced together from artifacts found in museums to create spectacular objects intended for (commercial) exhibition "
>>
>>667550

Because most are just made up nonsense that were made in the 19th century and put in museum cabinets so that Victorian middle class people could feel good about being so much more enlightened than their ancestors.
>>
>>667953
Gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.