[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a historical explanation as to why Britain has almost

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 12

File: roastie_3017135b.jpg (84KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
roastie_3017135b.jpg
84KB, 620x387px
Is there a historical explanation as to why Britain has almost no decent cuisine? At some some or another in history Britain have been world leaders in nearly every major category of human activity except culinary art.
>>
>>654121
There are more Michelin-rated restaurants in Britain than in any other country.
>>
>>654121
>boomers and their parents from all over the anglosphere have shit taste
>somehow the bongs are the only ones that get called out
>>
>>654121
because of climate, trade routes and global markets. this could be an explanation
another, easier, explanation could be that Britons are fuckin savages that deep-fry Mars and shit
>>
>>654121
I enjoy brit food a lot more than say southeast asian or american
>>
File: Pinnekjott[1].jpg (1MB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
Pinnekjott[1].jpg
1MB, 3888x2592px
>>654121
It's just reflective of North European cuisine in general.
>>
>>654125
The UK isn't even in the top three for 1, 2 and 3 star restaurants. And most of those restaurants serve food inspired by the french and italian kitchen anyway, it's not like they serve kidney pie and haggis.
>>
>>654125
How many of those serve british dishes?
>>
From what I hear its due to strict rationing in ww2

Honestly as long as you don't have problems with organ meat english food is fine. They have the only more suggestive name for sausages than wieners: bangers.
>>
>>654125
located in britain =/= serving british cuisine
>>
because foreigners are faggots that don't like faggots
>>
File: Sunday_roast_-_roast_beef_1.jpg (191KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Sunday_roast_-_roast_beef_1.jpg
191KB, 1024x768px
>>654121

British cuisine is actually pretty good. If you have a bunch of budget-supermarket tier ingredients like in OPs pic where its all super processed food and frozen vegetables then it will look and taste not that good.

However if it will look like pic related and taste good if you get your food from good sources. British cuisine is good if you are getting good-quality veggies and meats from local farms and from your own garden, when the food is garden-to-plate so to speak its really good. A large plate of organic freshly-harvested veggies/potatoes/eggs/fresh meat is pretty healthy, tastes great and looks great if done right.
>>
All I know is that when I was in England and I wanted some breakfast and they give me some beans and a tomato cut in half I was like Fuck English Food.

On a side note:
>captcha says "Please select all Pizza"
>not even one pizza is depicted
>select some fruit cobbler looking bullshit
>captcha takes it
>>
>>654121
It's a result of the two world wars.

before WWI Britain was considered one of the top places in the world for cuisine.
>>
File: Silk Route and Spice Route.jpg (96KB, 800x521px) Image search: [Google]
Silk Route and Spice Route.jpg
96KB, 800x521px
>>654121
Its possibly due to trade.

All of Northern Europe's """"Cuisine"""" sucks.

Northern Europe is waaaay outside the main trading routes of the world for quite some time. Shit like spices never reached them. Almost only stopping at france
>>
>>654758
What he said, rationing really affected the cuisine of Britain.
>>
>>654121
austerity maybe?
>>
Their classical music is also atrocious.
>>
>>654758
Proof?
>>
>>654799

>duh, Europe conquered the world because everything good was already in Europe and they wanted to share it with everyone
>then they fought back because they're idiots

>it has nothing to do with being far enough away from the important trade routes that developing blue-water sailing became possible
>>
>>654927
as far as the arts, Shakespeare carries them tbqh
>>
>>654948
Their literature is top notch. It's just their classical music that sucks dick, especially compared to Germans, Italians, Russians, etc.
>>
>>654954
Britain....sort of missed out on the Classical Music scene.

They came out during the late Romantic period.
>>
>>654948
Suuure james
>>
Their painters are inferior to the Italian, french, spanish, german ones too.
>>
>>654936
What are you ranting on about?
>>
>>655030
That was only true during the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, after the 18th century the quality of the British art improved a lot, especially in the 19th century.
>>
Having a read of any late Victorian recipe book should indicate fairly quickly that the British were in fact pretty up on the whole decent food thing.
The two world wars really did destroy British food development though and it never really recovered independently.
The nation does an astonishingly good job covering this up however by taking food from other cultures(most notably areas it formerly colonised like Hong Kong and the Indian subcontinent) and amalgamating it into the idea of British cuisine without a second thought.
>>
I'm a chef and I thought the same as op. I got the cance to do a 2 year course on Tudor dining. I now work in a restaurant that roasts meats traditionally and you need to book ahead at least six weeks and the smalest cover I've seen was $262, not including alcohol. Properly done english food is amazingly good.
>>
>>654930
literally spend 5 seconds googling it, you oaf. in the time it would take you to write that you could have educated yourself.

bloody americans.
>>
>>654121
>Britain has almost no decent cuisine
Keep your 70's memes to yourself
>>
File: smalahove.jpg (300KB, 1400x1050px) Image search: [Google]
smalahove.jpg
300KB, 1400x1050px
>>654121

The further north you go in Europe, the worse the food gets.
>>
>>654121
>Is there a historical explanation as to why Britain has almost no decent cuisine?
Anglos have no souls.
>>
>>654131
Bongs are european and therefore there's some expectations. Nobody expects the americans to eat well and nobody thinks much about Australia, it's only koalas, kangaroos and shit like that.
>>
>>654454
Made me kek
>>
>>654948
And it's not like he's really the best writer or theater writer. Only anglos claim this because they learn him at school and own the world.
>>
>>654134
You know all the places that deep fry Mars bars are Italian owned chip shops?
>>
>>655501
This could be good (I don't know if it would) with a good presentation. Nothing fancy, just not a face in your dish with some potatoes. I eat pork cheeks more or less regularly and they're fucking great.
>>
>>654963
What were they doing all the time between?
>>
>>655596
Britain was a glorified den pit for most of it's modern history before becoming a superpower.
>>
>>655467
>this is considered proof in Britain
>>
>>655501
Mexican food is considered great and they eat shit like intestines, cow head, and grasshoppers
>>
>>655867
>Mexican food is considered great
By who? White hipster twentysomethings who obsess over Chipotle?
>>
>>655875
>White hipster twentysomethings who obsess over Chipotle?
White hipsters don't obsess over a tex mex fast food chain.
>>
>>655867
Literally no one considers Mexican food great.
Also the French, Italians, Spaniards, all eat offal because offal is delicious.
>>
>>655887
Fair enough but you get the point, that's the Mexican food any non-Mexican knows.
>>
>>656008
Chipotle is a million times better than any "authentic" Mexican food I tried.
>>
>>654430
>From what I hear its due to strict rationing in ww2
France and Germany had way more restrictive and spartan rationing of food in WW2.
>>
>>654936
this is a weird comment, autism on /his/ is the best autism
>>
>>654927
Handel is quite good though
>>
>>656013
i don't know how anyone can have a boner for mesoamerican food in general. the nutritional value seems nonexistent 2bh.
>>
>>656050
>I guess the Mesoamericans were all four foot tall goblins slowly evolving into beans.
>>
>>654927
Depends whether you mean classical era or """art music"""" in general.
>>
>>655981
Literally wrong.
>>
>>657954
Ok maybe Mexicans and poor people. But they don't count.
>>
Britain invented sandwich.
>>
>>657975
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toast_sandwich
Brit """cuisine"""
>>
>>657990
Yes, that's right, British cuisine was destroyed by enclosure and Victorian wage rates.
>>
>>654121
Brit cuisine is comfy grandma food. God tier.
Italian cuisine is just slathering bland pasta in tomato and oil.
French cuisine is frogs, snails and flaky pastries that only faggots like.
Mexican cuisine is literally beans wrapped 20 different ways.
Japanese cuisine is so primitive they can't even cook fish.
Chinese cuisine is an infinite set containing every living creature that could possibly exist.
German cuisine doesn't exist.
Jewish cuisine is hated by everyone, including Jews themselves. Much like the people that invented it.
American cuisine is fast food versions of dishes from other cultures, and revolting combinations of sweet and savory ingredients like cheese on apple pie that embody the desperation of single men.
>>
>>654927
Only after Purcell died.

>>655501
>Icelanders literally eat putrescent shark meat, because why not
>>
>>654927
>Purcell, Tallis, Byrd, Taverner
>atrocious
>>
>>654554
>boiled vegetables
Truly the pinnacle of high cuisine
>>
>>656047
>Haendel
>Brithish

Please tell me you're joking.

I think it's far more important to call out the "French cuisine is good"-meme.
>>
I bet this meme largely comes from the average American only hearing about British food from their dad/grandad who came here in 1944 for a few months. "All they had was potatoes, turnips and canned meat and they just boiled it. Yuck. Brits have no cuisine". This then filtered into popular culture from there.
>>
File: orgasmtoeat.jpg (57KB, 800x462px) Image search: [Google]
orgasmtoeat.jpg
57KB, 800x462px
>>658195
>German cuisine doesn't exist.
You're being reported...the to taste-police!
>>
>>656020

France and Germany didnt really have a bunch of French and German speaking guys spending months/years with the locals, writing back to their French and German speaking families at home about how terrible the rationed food is.
>>
>>658453
He did spend most of his career in London and became a naturalised Briton, so there is that in anon's favour.
>>
>not liking rosbif
>>
Chinese, Indian(not the veg shit), Italian, and French are the best cuisines in the world no one else knows how to cook at all.

honourable mention to muh burgers
>>
>>655242
Constable, Reynolds, Turner, Gainsborough... sort of mediocre and mostly known in the Anglosphere.
Yes I know people do backflips over Turner but I've never understood it.
The Pre-Raphaelites were a nice minor movement. Sort of like Fururism.
Now Francis Bacon... there was an artist.
Antony Gormley is pretty good too.
But let's face it, the great innovators in Western art were all from the Continent.
>>
File: 1454235442997.jpg (47KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1454235442997.jpg
47KB, 500x375px
>tfw you go on /ck/ and theres a fucking thread about what cheese to put on apple pie
>>
>>658472
So, because they didn't write back about how bad the food is, therefore their much harsher rationing did not cause their cuisine to change but Britain's relatively light rationing did? This is not logic.
>>
>>654121
>Is there a historical explanation as to why Britain has almost no decent cuisine?

It's the result of french being bad at war and prussians having no culture whatsoever
>>
>>656020
For five years after WW2 Britain was the only country in modern history to ration bread, that's how fucked the nation was and how much it gave to fight the Axis.
>>
File: rudolph the reindeer.jpg (126KB, 1050x700px) Image search: [Google]
rudolph the reindeer.jpg
126KB, 1050x700px
>>655501
Cousine consisting of fish, berries and game are actually really good in northern Europe
>>
>>654554
When I first glanced at your image I was expecting you to talk shit similar to: >>654170

>Sliced meat and vegetables on the side
Why are the Brits so masochistic? At the very least do something with your vegetables other than steam them.
>>
It's no wonder white kids hate their vegetables.
>>
>>654636
>American gets English breakfast
>is disgusted by the vegetables
>>
File: laughing-ronald-cropped-2.jpg (412KB, 1096x1915px) Image search: [Google]
laughing-ronald-cropped-2.jpg
412KB, 1096x1915px
>>659049
>he doesn't know how to boil his vegetables in stock
>>
>>659063
In what kind of stock? A meat stock? You don't serve meat flavoured vegetables with meat do you? A vegetable stock just seems redundant. So I can only assume a fish stock.

Just make up a sauce. Fuck.
>>
>>659015
Britain did not ration bread, fish, or vegetable during the war. It only rationed food after the war only so it can help feed the rest of Europe.
>>
>>659015
>For five years after WW2 Britain was the only country in modern history to ration bread,
Why am I not surprised that /his/ is utterly ignorant of historical facts?
>>
colder = less diversity in plants = less spices

to compensate they came up with all sorts of weird recipes like jellied eel and stilton pasties
>>
>>659120
All spices came from outside of Europe and Britain was among the leaders in trade.
>>
>>659077

>Just make up a sauce. Fuck.

They don't need to because they just smother everything in gravy.
>>
>>654121

Being constantly invaded by different cultures they had no time to develop their own thing
>>
>>654121
That looks delicious.
>>
File: b&ac.jpg (54KB, 472x310px) Image search: [Google]
b&ac.jpg
54KB, 472x310px
Blackberry and Apple crumble is the GOAT dessert, i don't care what anyone says

I mean the best recipe i've ever found is by a french chef but i'm going to skim over that..
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.