[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did the Romans really defecate in public and with others? (do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 8

File: romantoilets.jpg (95KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
romantoilets.jpg
95KB, 640x480px
Did the Romans really defecate in public and with others?

(do not use any infantile words for feces like "poop' when responding to this thread - we're all over 18 here)
>>
>>651775
Desginated shitposting thread huh?
>>
can't imagine pooping without stall walls
dat stagefright
wew
>>
I bet the indians would poo poo on the floor
>>
>>651775
>don't say poop
>this is a place of serious academic discussion
>>
>>651783
>popping stagefright
I have the opposite problem, I can't piss in public.
>>
DESIGNATED
>>
>>651800

babies poop (oh so cute)
everybody else shits
>>
>>651775
look at all dem poopy holes.
>>
Yeah and they'd smother their asses with sponges on sticks, different times man.
>>
Public POOPholes where many people POOP at the same time has been pretty common throughout the ages.
Look at the shitty filter on pic related, it's modern.
>>
>>651805
FAVORED FECES FORA
>>
>>651775
okay but where are the toilet paper racks and the sinks?
>>
>>651804
my nigga
>>
>>651872
see >>651821

No idea about sinks though, doubt they had them.
>>
good for those rare occasions when you don't have anything to read.
>>
I've actually sat on one in ephesus
>>
>>651775
So the fuck what?
>>
>romans
>poop
King Sejong of Korea invented pooping in the 16th century you dumb faggoot.
>>
>>651984
>invented the alphabet while testing out his invention of pooping
based sejong
>>
>>651805
SHITTING ALCOVES
>>
>>651804
Wouldn't the opposite problem be only being able to shit while people are watching?
>>
>>651775
Yes. They also used a communal sponge to wipe.

Still had the best sanitation system in the world at the time.
>>
>>652024
Did they wipe each other? That's kind of hot.
>>
>>651775
Why can't I say poop?
Are you scared of the ooga booga Germanic words?
>>
>>652051
>poop
>Germanic
I wish /his/ wasn't full of uneducated morons.
>>
>>651775
I've actually shit in an open shitter like this, next to other dudes. A lot of the shitters in Ft Benning are like this, literally just a wooden board over a concrete pit with a series of holes cut into it.

Once you get over the initial embarrassment, there's literally nothing wrong with it. There's a sort of collective realization that since everyone shits, there's really nothing weird about shitting next to another person and having a conversation while doing it.

>shoot the shit with your bro while taking a shit
>"hey man got any TP?"
>"I'll do you one better, I've got baby wipes"
>"nice."
>>
>>651775
The better question is was the sponge on the stick communal or did you bring your own?
>>
>>651775
What is the problem? Would you rather do on the street?
>>
>>652053
It's onomatopoeic. As much Germanic as anything, considering that's the only language family it appears in.
>>
>>652249
It depended from city to city, and establishment to establishment, I think. Some pigsty in the Subura would have one sponge for everybody, cleaned maybe every hour or every day by a slave. A bathhouse on the Palatine catering to the First and Second classes, where you pay more, probably had one sponge per man, cleaned well after each visit.

I mean, I'm speculating here, but it's probably true.
>>
>>652243
The proper response is: "Awww shit yes!"
>>
>>651775

Yes.

And?

Never used a communal shitter before?
>>
>>651775
poop
>>
>>651775
>Current year of our Lord
>Not pooping with your bros while sitting the shit and shit talking.
>>
>>652954

Where the hell would you even clean a poopstick? Did the Romans build aqueducts just to be able poopstick washing water off to lord knows where?
>>
>>652954
They would have just washed it in a river, and some plebs further downstream would draw water from the river to drink.

You'd be surprised how common cholera outbreaks were in the ancient world.
>>
>>653145
meant for >>653128
>>
>>653128
In the fountain that was at every compita or in the bathhouse itself, you ignorant pleb. Where do you think their shit went? Water swept it all away in plumbing into the Tiber, no reason why that clean water shouldn't be used to clean something before entering the space under the shitholes. At least, that's in Rome.
>>
File: wall latrines.jpg (59KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
wall latrines.jpg
59KB, 576x432px
>>651775
That looks like Hadrian's Wall. I live next to it.
The Romans had excellent plumbing.
>>
Atleast this qualifies as Poo In The Loo
>>
>>651775
This is actually pretty ingenious. If our toilets were holes like 6 meters down/underground we would never have to smell our own shit.

Roman toilets 2000 years ago was better than our toilets now.
>>
>>653026
No, the correct response in that case is "good shit," but after a while you start running out of puns
>>
>>651872
>>651960

They used sponges. Yes, they were reused after brief washing with water.
>>
>>651781
kek
>>
>>653254
Too bad everything smelled like shit in ancient times.
>>
File: cavemen1.jpg (27KB, 275x300px) Image search: [Google]
cavemen1.jpg
27KB, 275x300px
>>651775
ive had a big ol dookie doody doodle-loo with my homie holding hands under the stall. if its good enough for me its good enough for the romans who probably were all gay anywayz. lol
>>
File: 3893021862_cd80c04c9d_z.jpg (102KB, 497x500px) Image search: [Google]
3893021862_cd80c04c9d_z.jpg
102KB, 497x500px
>>651783
>can't imagine pooping without stall walls

Had to deal with this once years back in Boy Scouts; the SOP was to wait until the multi-hole outhouse was unoccupied and then get in there and shit as fast as possible to free it up for the next guy but once, I was in there doing my business and another kid came in and sat right down next to me (apparently he couldn’t wait).

Of course we had to carry on a conversation while sitting there shitting away, which is kinda weird and then as neither of us wanted to be the first to wipe, the awkward conversation dragged on and on and on…

Eventually I outlasted him, claiming I had an upset stomach.
>>
>>653080
No, I live in a developed country
>>
>>653818
>neither of us wanted to be the first to wipe
kek
>>
File: chris-work-1024x768[1].jpg (185KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
chris-work-1024x768[1].jpg
185KB, 1024x768px
>>651775
The concept of privacy as something desirable is very knew.
Up until not too long ago you'd have your servant sleep on the floor next to your bed, so when you need to piss in the middle of the night he can hold the pot you piss in.
>>
Hey real talk

If you have never taken a mutual shit with your bros you aren't truly friends.

Its not like you are watching the poo come out, you are just sitting next to each other having a farting contest basically, but it is an unbreakable bond, like being snowball brothers
>>
>>653254

If you just flush you shouldn't have lingering smells.

Eat better or buy a candle, jesus christo you gross neckbeards.
>>
Hick here, shit only smells when its' mixed with fluid, like piss.
A simple tactic would just be to have two separate holes, sit on the edge, shit into one and piss into one.
>>
>not squatting to shit
Barbarianism
>>
>>653966
If you wear pants you too are a barbarian.
>>
>go to Turkey
>have to squat over a hole and shit

Barbarians
>>
>>653432
"Sponges" were towels on sticks. They were passed around.

The "wrong end of the stick" was the end with the shit towel. That's where the saying came from. Some guy accidentally picked up the stick by the shitty end.
>>
>>652023
Now that would be problematic to live with.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>"poopstick"
>>
The replies to this thread only prove how shit this board has become
>>
>>651783
Infantryman here, you get over it once you have to shit bad enough.

We shit in fucking wag bags using an ammo crate as a seat in broad daylight, generally in front of at least 40 other adult males. No fucks given.
>>
>>657098
Australian army fag here, this is true.

Except I was combat engineers so if we were in a position for >2 days we built a toilet complete with a bored out hole to fill in once we leave.
>>
I like to imagine them all holding hands together while shitting at the same time. Nothing more says bros 4life
>>
People back then probably ate a shitload of fiber because processed food didn't exist, therefore their poops probably came out really clean and the need to wipe was reduced
>>
>>651775

>ctrl+f "poop"
>19 results

OP got shit on I see.
>>
File: image.jpg (365KB, 1560x1059px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
365KB, 1560x1059px
>>652243
Gotta cherish the few instances nowadays when being in the military actually encourages you to not be a pussy.
>>
>>653966
Proper defecation practice
>>
>>654373
At least they can get down in a squat without falling over. Also properly opens up the bowels.
>>
>>659936
OP's anal status: rekt
>>
>>651775
>Did [soldiers] really defecate on the march and with others?
>>
>>651804
Same :(
>>
>>651805
POOPING
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.