[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Diversity of Nations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7

File: map-diversity.jpg (119KB, 1484x730px) Image search: [Google]
map-diversity.jpg
119KB, 1484x730px
An interesting map based on Ethnic Diversity. There are several different versions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/05/16/a-revealing-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-ethnically-diverse-countries/
>>
File: FT_Diversity_Map.png (86KB, 639x492px) Image search: [Google]
FT_Diversity_Map.png
86KB, 639x492px
>>650787
This is a variation on the map detailing CULTURAL diversity instead. Which isn't the same thing For example the notable difference of.Brazil. The above map has it as relatively diverse due to its racial admixture. This map notes, almost all of Brazil has the same language and religion and thus has it as homogenous.
>>
>>650787
>Philippines
>China
>Russia
>Ethnically Homogenous.
>>
>>650796
>China.
>CULTURALLY LESS DIVERSE
>>
>>650799
China is >90% Han. I don't understand why Russia is so low though.
>>
Is this the part where we go RACE WAR NOW FUCK NIGGERS JEWS AND ESS JAY DUBYA's?
>>
> Russia
> homogeneous
Lolwut. What kind of criteria are they even using?

> They gauged this by asking an elegantly simple question: If you called up two people at random in a particular country and ask them their ethnicity, what are the odds that they would give different answers? The higher the odds, the more ethnically "fractionalized" or diverse the country.
O-okay. That's not ethnicity, though.
>>
>>650801
China is extreme in cultural homogeneity
>>
>>650787
>Sweden
>Homogenous
Yay
>>
>>650810
They've been using "are you Russian?" question. Practically everyone in Russia is considered himself "Russian". Basically, speaking the language/living (or having one of your ancestors be Russian) and claiming that you are Russian is enough.

It's not ethnicity, but more of an identity. It's a bit a like going to USA and asking people "Are you American?"
>>
>>650815
Yes it is.

Ethnicity is an imposed cultural observation based on any number of factors, race, class, skin tone, region, religion or in some extreme cases total arbitrary bullshit.

People forget just how mutable rhis stuff is because it tends t k drive culture, but to use an examle, the very concept of a Nation of Peoples didn't even exist as we know it until a few centuries ago.
>>
>>650823
> considers himself
Need moar sleep.
>>
>>650815
Russia is 81% Russian
>>
>>650823
>>650828
They haven't been literal asking that question, the data is compiled from previous studied and then they process it mathematically
>>
>>650787
What the fuck is that jizz scorpion off the coast of Florida.
>>
>>650835
Bahamas and friends
>>
>>650837
cool
>>
>>650831

Haha should i link you some video of an eastern part of russia? It looks like Khazakhstan there.
>>
Ethnic map of 1914 Europe.
>>
>>650810
It's 80% Russian. It's about the same percentage as English people in England.
>>
>>651433
still 81% russian
>>
>>651454

>Reichsland Elsaß-Lothringen ist DEUTSCHE

LOL
O
L

NO
>>
>>651454
>Englander

brings a tear to my eye

god bless the queen
>>
>>650787
I thought France didnt record ethnicity or some shit in their records?
>>
>>650813
>>>/s4s/

sorry this diversity map triggers you.
>>
>>650787
So the US where people from all over the world live is more ethnically homogenous than fucking mexico where only native and spanish descendants live?

I call bullshit
>>
>>651576
It's a combination of volume and proportion.
I am assuming Mexico is closer to a plurality than USA.
>>
>>651454
Typical 19th pseudoscience
>>
>>652555
Europes obsession with races and nations they made up drownrd the world in blood for fucking centuries.
>>
What's african cultural diversity? Eating shit and kill?
>>
these maps have Africa as very diverse which is true while places like India and Papua New Guinea which are also ethnically and culturally diverse represented as less so

pretty dodgy imo
>>
>>654442
>muh white guilt
>>
>>650787
>>650796

China is inhabited by 54 ethnic groups stupid anglos tend to bandwagon as "chinese".

Here's my comment on that dumb maps.
>>
>>650787
I swore that was a map on shitholes and developed nations.
>>
>>651454
>French and Breton have distinctly different colors while Basque and Castillian have the same color
good one, but I'd heard it before
>>
>>651433
It's obvious that the makes of the map do not consider "diversity" to collect as much weird tribes you can find.
>>
>>651576
If the "people from all over the world" all speak english, wear blue jeans and drink coca cola the nation is not diverse anymore. The USA ability to americanize everyone is amazing and has no pair in the world as far as I know.
>>
>>655453
91% of china is Han and the other 53 groups have to share the other 9%. And the % of Han is growing.
>>
this is apples and oranges DESU

national vs tribal identities
>>
please. this is just personal identifiers shifting over time as a culture matures. africa isn't full of wild variation. it's just that some dude will say the people in the next town over are different than him. an outsider could easily make a different judgement seeing as how they eat the same food, live in the same houses, have the same jobs, speak languages that are essentially identical, etc.

go look at a map of roman gaul or something. we got a dozen tribes roaming around the area of north germany. looking back on it, were they all that different in any perceivable way? in modern times, we might consider that a grouping of a few administrative districts at best.

this narrative of 'diversity' is starting to become intentionally obfuscated. the same people are comparing apples and oranges to prove that we should eat bananas. it's ridiculous.
>>
>be africa
>have ethnic diversity
>all literally have the same hair colour, hair formation and eye colour
>>
>>655474

Most americans have severe delusions about how americanized other countries are.
>>
>>655559
By everyone I meant everyone in America, though.
>>
>>650787
>Somalia is diverse
>>
Neither history, nor humanities, nor an empire
>>
>>655543
Key difference is that in most of Europe the guy from a village 4 miles away won't speak an entirely different language
>>655549
If you can't immediately tell the difference between a khoisan bushman, a pygmy, a bakongo, an ethiopian, a yoruba, a maasai, a berber, and an Egyptian then you're blind
>>
>>655591
Niggers=Diversity
>>
>>655437
Even if you keep it to Europe only, Nationalism was the primary motive behind both World Wars. When you introduce the idea that everyone counts as an X or a Y or a Z, suddenly every X Y and Z wants to kill everything else to make Zland or whatever.

The very idea of nationialism was a European invention. It's why maps like that even exist.
>>
>>654791
Most nations there are made from colonial borders, and so any country can be filled with dozens and dozens of different languages and tribes. I think Nigeria alone is at like 83 or something.
>>
>>655454

Correlation and causation.

And even then that map has a bunch of shitholes in both colors, The -ans for example are orange and Africa is really green
>>
File: africahr.jpg (666KB, 2101x2291px) Image search: [Google]
africahr.jpg
666KB, 2101x2291px
>>655543
That's why there are two maps.

Culture vs Ethnic diveristy.

Brazil for example is ethnically diverse but culturally almost everyone speaks portugese and is Catholic.

And then you have nations like this.

This pic is a CONSERVATIVE breakdown.

Now cut up all this tribal land and smush them together randonly. And what's more, there isn't a severe majority like in China or Russia.
>>
>>655549
Ethnicities are arbitrary and defined by the culture.

Look at how many things are under the umbrella of "white."
>>
>>655591
Somalia is interesting because it's a case study in how ethnicity evolves.

Since this map was taken, and the wars got intense Somalia got MORE diverse, as ethnicties actually started to speciate due to the conflict.

When anarky hit, people stopped beinh somalian and starting being "whatever tribe"
It's an inverse of how Irish, British,Italian,German etc, all eventually just blended into generic "white" in the US over the years.
>>
>>655474
The map says ethnically diversity.

Doesn't matter if all americans speak the same language with the same accent.
>>
>>655988
Nationalism yes.
Being aware that there are cultural differences, no. Thinking you are x and everyone who is y is fundamentally different and has to go is not that new.
>>
>>650787
>France and Japan on the same level
Bullshit.
>>
File: afghan diversity.png (4MB, 1404x1440px) Image search: [Google]
afghan diversity.png
4MB, 1404x1440px
>dat Afghan diversity
>>
File: le laughing midwestern man.jpg (138KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
le laughing midwestern man.jpg
138KB, 1600x900px
>>651454
>wielkopolska is not mostly polish
>silesia is german
holy fuck
>>
>>652555
In which respect?
>>
>>650820

No way dude, no way. Swedish "culture houses" are full of black men.
>>
>>656071
Being aware of cultural differences was europe in all previous ages.

Racially charged nationalism was the new cancer that led to all that bloodshed.
>>
>>651576
Mexico had plenty of european, arab and asian immigration. Not to mention they already had Spaniards, natives and blacks.
>>
>>655549
Nope.
>>
>>655453
>>654828
When you have certain ethnicities that have SO FUCKING MANY people in, it skewers it to more homogeneous even when the "leftover" is made up of many more tribes than in other countries. It's not just "who has the most different peoples".
>>
File: 1442224626318.jpg (47KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1442224626318.jpg
47KB, 640x640px
>>650787
>Australia
>>
>>656337
France pretty much blanda'd up everyone under 1 culture and language by laws and certain rules over time.

There's regionalism that are holdovers of when people were more different ethnically/linguistically/culturally.
>>
>>650818
>China is extreme in cultural homogeneity
>Mandarin stops being a language in the South
You tell me.
>>
>>656037
>People stopped being Somali

What the fuck are you talking about? Are you smoking shit? Literally everyone still speaks and identifies as Somali. Even the fucking Oromo and Afar are somalifying.
>>
>>658709
Mandarin never entrench itself in the south tho.
>>
>>655549
>genetic diversity only affects hair and eyes

Your claim is wrong anyway, "black people" have a variety of hair, skin and even eye colors and shapes. European sluts just have flashier colors.
>>
>>650796
>Italy
>culturally less diverse than France and Spain
Pew research center is as shit as usual.
>>
>>650787
Iran's hosted the capital of the world for thousands of years, so it's understandable so many ethnicities continue to reside there.

Russia doesn't make sense to me though.
>>
>>658738
It's fluid, that's my whole point. Somalia had some desomalifocation as things went belly up
>>
>>658408
Wasnt France noted as a literal constructed race? Some brilliant social engineering right there.
>>
>>659204
83% Russian
>>
i understand you read the official statistics about russia being 81%, but if youd actually visit russia, youll notice many mixed people, especially in the east, who nevertheless identify themselves as russians. hell, even cossacks, who are of a broader slavic/eastern european ehtnic mix say they are russian. i've toured the volga river and ural mountains some years ago, and honestly, there is a fuckton of groups who just dont share the same culture, traditions or national identity, every village has its own history, the people are extremely mixed and almost every household has its own cuisine. but since they all speak russian, they just idntify themselves as russians.

germany is pretty diverse too, id put it above belgium, georgia or latvia. the difference between north and south is clearly noticable, and the fresians... there are slavic minorities in the east.

the map clearly has some very wrong variables ...
>>
>>650787
>Nation states are less diverse than not-nation states.

Brilliant observation.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.