[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did Roman Catholics start becoming slack with Fasting? Today

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 12

File: de.jpg (338KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
de.jpg
338KB, 1024x1024px
When did Roman Catholics start becoming slack with Fasting? Today it's only an hour of fasting before communion, but I know it goes back way further since eating fish throughout Lent has been permissible for a while, whereas fish, oil, eggs, dairy products and meat are all prohibited in Orthodox Christianity during lent, except on the Weekend when oil and wine are permitted. Also Wednesday and Fridays are fast days (the Didache supports this), no oil, wine, meat, dairy, eggs or fish, but I don't think Roman Catholics observe that anymore (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).
>>
>>616903

>My fasting is better than yours
>Because I restrict my diet more than you do.

If you're not completely abstaining from food and drink, it's not a fast.
>>
>>616914
The pre-communion Fast is no drink or food at all, which hasn't been broadened in diet, but in trmeframe. For the Orthodox Church, it means not eating at all that day prior to Communion, but for the Roman Catholic Church it means not eating for an hour beforehand.

Also, the Christmas Eve Fast of the Orthodox Church is zero food or drink for the entirety of Christmas Eve
>>
>>616950
>For the Orthodox Church, it means not eating at all that day prior to Communion
It also means no fucking or menstruating
>>
>>616974
Menstruating is an issue for Oriental, but not for Eastern.
>>
>>616989
It is for the Russians, and they'll become the Orthodox Pope pretty soon
>>
>>616995
Orthodox don't have a Pope in the sense Catholics do. The Bishop of Alexandria is referred to as Pope, but the title doesn't mean the same thing. If you mean the Bishop of Moscow becoming Ecumenical Patriarch, I wouldn't be that too much desu
>>
File: 1404479284529.png (8KB, 416x298px) Image search: [Google]
1404479284529.png
8KB, 416x298px
What about Orthodox vegans? If they don't actually break their fast they're not actually fasting, a fast is a limited abstinence by definition.
>>
>>617013
I'd be surprised if they even existed outside of monasteries
>>
>>617021
They do, a friend of mine started attending his nearest Orthodox Parish (part of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland) and most of the goers are vegan and his priest is telling him to become a vegan. I thought it was odd thus >>617013
>>
>>616999
They will, it's the only way they will achieve consistency against Catholics.

I wouldnt be against it, they could duke it out to see who gets the whole of Christendom
>>
>>617038
That's pretty peculiar, they must be a group of vegans who founded the parish with the Orthodox Church's blessing.

Fasting still means abstaining from oil and wine, though, which are pretty big.

>>617040
No they won't.
>>
>>616903
Since forever?

Hell, one of Martin Luther's complaints against catholics was that they weren't fasting hard enough. They practiced "distinguishing of meats" (shit like no red meat, but fish being ok) rather than full abstinance for the purpose of praying rather than eating at meal times.

It's a long standing issue.
>>
>>617064
Do Lutherans observe Lent?
>>
>>616903
Fasting is a matter of discipline. Catholic fasting is lax to instill a concept of it. We expect you to advance it further as you see fit but keep the base level always.

For example, nothing is stoping Catholics from doing an Orthodox Lenten fast, but we ARE required to not eat meat on Fridays in Lent. It used to be ALL Firdays were no non-fish meat (in America at least) and if you want to complain about that, then do it to the USCCB. It's why the Filet-O-Fish sandwich exists.
>>
>>617117
Just Fridays? What happened to all of Lent?
>>
File: image.jpg (171KB, 1500x999px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
171KB, 1500x999px
>>617117
>TFW I always eat meat on Friday's as Catholic. I dunno how I'm gonna handle fasting as an Orthodox
>>
>>617188
It's keep saying that Jesus prayer, dawg. Utter it quietly until your tongue is numb
>>
File: image.jpg (796KB, 1092x1600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
796KB, 1092x1600px
>>617211
I can't. Meat is just sho gwood
>>
>>617331
But God is better, no?
>>
>>617067
Yes, but not in the same way as catholics.

Bear in mind that 500 years ago, the catholic church had far more autistic rules regarding what food are and are not acceptable on specific days of the week. "Distinction of meats" is largely an argument against these no longer practiced "fasts" that have no basis in scripture.
>>
>>617417
They were basically being lenient, you mean?
>>
File: image.jpg (133KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
133KB, 1280x720px
>>617335
Yes. He says I can eat meat so....
>>
>>617455
He also says you can play video games. That doesn't mean you don't have to go to Church.
>>
File: image.jpg (122KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122KB, 1280x720px
>>617479
I go to church weekly. I don't have the will to fast
>>
>>617067
>Lutherans
>observing anything
Greetings from the homeland of the Reformation
>>
>>617495
Well fasting is kind of important, just as prayer and Confession are. It purifies us spiritually. There's nothing wrong with enjoying good food, but it should serve us rather than the other way around, and fasting is a good way to reassert the spirit's control here. Fasting is also a really important devotional, which is why Jesus did it.
>>
File: image.jpg (83KB, 718x404px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83KB, 718x404px
>>617509
I'll do that later. For now I want to enjoy the fruits of the earth
>>
>>617539
Not sure you should be converting with that attitude.
>>
>>617509
Will a person be damned to hell eternally for not fasting?
>>
>>617549
I don't presume to know what will be saved and who will damned, but I do know that not fasting is a major cause of spiritual corruption, and probably the root of what's wrong with Western Christianity.
>>
File: image.jpg (143KB, 573x843px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
143KB, 573x843px
>>617546
I only feast because I'm pregnant
>>
>>617564
Pregnant women don't have to fast, I thought you meant in general. Sorry.

Congrats, by the way.
>>
File: image.jpg (114KB, 1269x646px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114KB, 1269x646px
>>617573
Yes, and you are the father
>>
>>616903
>Today it's only an hour of fasting before communion
I never had to fast before communion back when I was catholic.
>>
File: image.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
>>617602
I was told that you can't have a full meal an hour before mass
>>
>>617597
I thought you were Roman Catholic?
>>
File: image.jpg (59KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59KB, 480x270px
>>617611
I'm technically. It's now a cuckfest I want out of
>>
>>617613
Not to be rude, but the reason it is awful is because of attitudes like your toward traditional Christianity as too burdensome.
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 683x384px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 683x384px
>>617621
why must you do this
>>
>>617621
>traditional Christianity as too burdensome
But it is. Overbearing and neurotic at that.
>>
>>617654
Are you even a Christian?
>>
>>617680
Not him, but what first drew me towards the Orthodox church was that they didn't seem as legalistic as the Roman Catholics. So when I found out the Orthodox has all these prescribed rules on fasting and who can eat what on this day and all this other noise it really took me aback. How is this not the same legalist trap the pharisees and the Roman Catholics fell into?
>>
>>617705
Kek, heck no.

This is what the Pharisees are like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_and_meat_in_Jewish_law#Minuscule_quantities

Orthodox fasting is relatively straightforward, it's just longer fasts get certain things lifted on the weekend.

Fasting in Orthodox Christianity has nothing to do with dietary law, it's a devotional, like prayer.
>>
>>617714
So then is it a sin not to fast?
>>
>>617719
In the same sense as skipping Church.
>>
>>617731
So...not technically, but it's to your spiritual detriment? I'm still learning all this stuff
>>
>>617719
Also, not fasting the morning of Communion means you can't partake
>>
>>617739
Skipping Church is a sin, unless you have a good reason. It's probably not something you'd have to do penance for though, unless it got to be a habit. Same with breaking the fast. But if you completely disregard fasts, that's not good at all, it's like completely disregarding prayer. Fasting is an integral part of Christianity and always has been.
>>
>>617705
Fasting is meant for discipline and self control not because foods like meat or dairy are bad or forbidden for consumption. The NT has references to fasting and the Didache advises fasting twice a week if I recall
>>
>>617747
Jews always fasted for twice a week, and Christianity is continuance of Judaism. Christians fasted on different days, though, to distinguish themselves from the Pharisees (as per the Didache), these days being Wednesday and Friday. The significance of those days are Christ's betrayal, and Crucifixion.
>>
>fish is not meat

Are Catholic legitimately stupid?
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.