[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw just finished watching a Crash Course on the Dark

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: its-not-the-bait-iris.jpg (63KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
its-not-the-bait-iris.jpg
63KB, 600x600px
>tfw just finished watching a Crash Course on the Dark Ages by John Green
>>
And?
>>
Iktf op, he's one of the best historians out there. It's a shame people on this board are so adamant defending backwards European legacies like the Dark Ages (not to mention slavery and other white plights).
>>
>>606019

>he's an historian
>>
>>606051

>has written a history book
>somehow not a historian
>>
>>606051
http://www.amazon.com/England-during-Dark-Ages-Green/dp/1511626941/ref=sr_1_11/177-0099468-2142067?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1453761927&sr=1-11&refinements=p_lbr_one_browse-bin%3AJohn+Green

And now go back to /pol/
>>
>>606051
He's written a groundbreaking study of Anglo-Saxon literature: https://www.waterstones.com/book/beowulf/john-green/9780486456553
>>
>>606062
>>606108
>>606117

Get out John.
>>
>>606062
So if I write a history book, then I will be a historian?
>>
>>606062

So I can write one book about some historical event and then suddenly I'm a historian?
>>
>>606129
>>606132

Considering the definition of a historian is anyone who has an interest in history, then yes, being interested enough in a historical subject to write a book about it qualifies you as a historian.
>>
>>606138
Sweet! So I am a historian now?
>>
>>606143

Are you interested in history? Then yes!
>>
>>606143
Yes.
Not necessarily a good one.
>>
The only question is this thread should be: Who do you slap first, a naziboo or a greenfag?
>>
>>606157
This day keeps getting better :D
>>
>>606165

greenfag, every single time.
>>
>>606157
this is literally plebbit

>I'm a scientist because I look at the stars
>I'm a philosopher because I write my opinions on the internet
>>
>>606173
Yeah, I have to agree. Naziboos, as retarded as they are, are usually knowledgeable about history. Greenfags however need to be kneecapped. By naziboos.
>>
>>606175

Dictionary definitions are plebbit now?
>>
>>605970
Green is a historian in the same way Dan Brown is a writer. Technically yes, but God damned are they below pleb-tier faggots
>>
>>606117
I thought the anglo-saxon conquest happened after the end of the dark ages?
Why would that give him authority on the european dark age?
>>
>>606209
No wait never mind I'm thinking of the norman conquest.
Anglo-saxon was definitely dark age.
>>
>>606117
Kek.
>>
Just watched it.

>everyone wanted to live in Spain
Extremely broad.
He gives the example of a Jewish scholar.
Although it's true that Al-Andulus had a surprisingly large population of Jews, that doesn't mean it was some paradise for non-Muslims.
It should be noted that the Muslim conquest was particularly brutal and saw a large-scale flight of natives to the northern Kingdom of Asturias.
And then there's the Almohad rule of Spain, which lasted roughly 150 years, was known to be extraordinary aggressive against the Dhimmis.

>le Eurocentrism
Apart from that, it was okay 2bh
>>
>>606019
>>606062
>>606108
>>606138
PhD fag doing my dissertation on the influence of Greek colonists in the formation of the Roman Republic.

Please do not treat John Green as an authority just because he is confident and quirky; he isn't one. True he is factually accurate on details but he always lets his own political agenda guide his scholarship and he extrapolates on his interpretations with no or hugely over-simplified evidence.

But worse than anything he has the hugely modern, narrow minded view of history as the gradual improvement of all society toward the present. He thinks because we have smartphones and female votes we are closer to truth and enlightenment, so he is doomed to be a useless historian.
>>
>>606165
>>606173
>>606198

At least naziboos are obvious with their sympathies/bias. Greenfags actually think they're objective.
>>
>>606387
>paradise for non-muslims

I've always noticed how historians downplay atrocities committed by noneuropeans. Eurocentrism never ended, it's just switched from Europe can do no wrong to Europe is the root of all evil.
>>
>>606387
Did he talk about the massive slave trade of Slavic Europeans going on in Al-Andalus, led by Jews?

I guess not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saqaliba
>>
>>606507
Oh shit I totally forgot about that.
Needless to say he did not mention it.
>>
File: EwigerJudeFilm.jpg (49KB, 325x451px) Image search: [Google]
EwigerJudeFilm.jpg
49KB, 325x451px
John Green is probably one of the most dangerous man alive, I'm talking Alfred Rosenberg or Julius Streicher kind-of dangerous.

His historical worldview puts white people in the same place Nazi Germans put on Jews, as perpetually evil parasites who are always sucking off the innocent non-whites/aryans who can do no wrong.

Now, that may be far-fetched, but remember that millions of kids watch these videos, they will go to college and become adults who will guide public policy in the future, and if they carry on with them the believe that white people is the root of all evil, what can stop them from enacting the "final solution to the white problem"?

There are already "Kill the kulaks" vibes coming from places like Salon...
>>
>>606586
Simple dialectics my friend. We couldn't stop it, but the tide will keep changing until we reach synthesis; enlightenment and balance.
>>
File: 1451086770924.jpg (75KB, 698x653px) Image search: [Google]
1451086770924.jpg
75KB, 698x653px
>friend invites me to movie night
>okay why not
>get there and everyone is watching a John Greene crash course on my major specialization
>fucking crawling in my skin the entire time but don't want to act like a sperg
>they all look over to me whenever there's a visual gag or some joke
>thousand yard stare it until it ends
>>
>>606406

Any suggestions for better info on the subject?
>>
>>606108
That book was not written by him, that was written by a different person, here is john greens sight http://johngreenbooks.com/ on the side you will see every book he has written, none of them I can tell are historical texts.
>>
>>606863
Read.
>>
File: dark_ages_werent_dark_meme.jpg (51KB, 200x288px) Image search: [Google]
dark_ages_werent_dark_meme.jpg
51KB, 200x288px
>>605970
Oh, thank god, I thought this was going to be yet another one of those "everything that marked the end of the Dark Ages was part of the Dark Ages" meme videos.

On the other hand, his lauding of both Arabia and China is way over the top... And this is /pol/ bait.

I dunno why we can't get the Christfags to accept that the dark ages were dark, and the Atheistfags to accept that religion had nothing to do with it - and indeed prevented Europe from spiraling into oblivion. But alas, I guess we'd have to get them both to accept it at the same time, as they keep egging each other on with this bullshit.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.