[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: Aleister_Crowley.jpg (189KB, 1084x1512px) Image search: [Google]
Aleister_Crowley.jpg
189KB, 1084x1512px
Thoughts?
>>
Creepy degenerate who did some lulzy trolling.
>>
"do what thou will" is the worst advice you can give anyone
>>
>>605151
>lulzy trolling
Care to go more indepth?`
>>
I have no idea how this lunatic even got this much attention.
>>
>>605170

I don't have any interest in defending a religious weirdo but it is "do what thou wilt" and is referring to a religious claim about True Will. True Will being a claim about a higher purpose in life.

It doesn't mean "do whatever you want".
>>
>>605192
This is what i'm thinking also.
>>
>>605194
>religious weirdo
He made a lulzy troll religion he wasn't Christian and didn't believe in god or Christian values.
>>
>>605207

So? Christianity isn't the only religion.
>>
>>605223
No i'm saying he only believed in his own black magic shit. Like pagan shit.
>>
>>605231

I understood fine. Black magic and pagan shit is religion just as much as flying carpenters.
>>
>>605257
>flying carpenters

What an enlightened and euphoric post
>>
>>605264

Thank you.
>>
>>605264
It's not inaccurate though
>>
>>605194
how do you find out what your true will is then
>>
>>605301

By meditation, invocation, and depraved lunatic sex. These things will put one in touch with their Holy Guardian Angel, who is the essence of one's true will.
>>
>>605301

How would I know?

I don't claim to understand True Will better than I understand casting a spell over bread and red wine or Hanuman the Monkey God.
>>
I say that Crowley is 80% full of shit and probably just a functional psychotic. His sexual practices were depraved and his attempt to incorporate them into his magick (as well as his general profiteering and self-centeredness) undermine what little value there is in his material.
>>
>>605172
His religion was taking a shit on every Victorian value of the era. He freaked a lot of people out and caused a reasonable ruckus. imo, part of him genuinely believed his horseshit, but another part of him found it the perfect way to get famous for being a drug addict pedo.
>>
I got a collection of his writing, was pretty disappointed. His reputation far exceeds his actual achievements. Still, the Ozzy song is great
>>
>>605192
>>605202

Crowley was a scion, inheriting a sum of tens of thousands of pounds as a young man. This effectively made him a millionaire in today's terms, and he put it to the best possible use.

In addition to the drugs, Crowley also spent much of the first half of his life traveling the world, getting in trouble and picking up various ideas. In short, while everything he wrote is automatically suspect due to his being a pathological liar (he wrote "The Book of Lies", after all), historians have established that he was at such-and-such places at such-and-such times. In short, he did things worth writing about, or at least he knew how to make it sound good.

Second, /he actually wrote about them himself/. A lot. That money I was just talking about? Crowley spent a /lot/ of it on self-publishing whatever he wanted; these were the projects that occupied his life. Through intense self-promotion and publication, Crowley succeeded to force himself as a meme. So to directly answer your question, the reason why people still talk about him at all is because in addition to his notoriety, he had the courtesy to give history a lot of material to work with and puzzle over.

In a word, Crowley satisfied not one, but both of Benjamin Franklin's aphoristic criteria for continued relevance, although it bears mentioning that he was a mediocre poet.
>>
File: 46_TE05-091_thumb[1].jpg (11KB, 411x197px) Image search: [Google]
46_TE05-091_thumb[1].jpg
11KB, 411x197px
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.