[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok /his/, I have to teach a high school class about the start

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: the_cold_war_by_1blomma-d67oqy5.png (1MB, 2336x2032px) Image search: [Google]
the_cold_war_by_1blomma-d67oqy5.png
1MB, 2336x2032px
Ok /his/, I have to teach a high school class about the start of the cold war.

I have to prepare the class and everything.

I'm deep in shit with other work that I have to do so I could use your help with inspiration.

What is obligatory to mention, what can I leave out, some suggestions would be great. What approach should I have towards the subject?

If you're still underage b&, you can tell me what you would love to hear about in your class.

Also, I'm in Yurop, just so you know.
>>
Yalta, Potsdam, Marshall Plan and all that comes from those three main events.
>>
>>594805
Yeah, I won't miss those of course.
>>
Talk about the no reason wars fought or the dictatorships installed to maintain influence, this is what the young like to hear
>>
>>594796
Cover the main European stuff that everybody knows, but do not forget to bring Asia into the class because the Cold War was a very global conflict.

If I were you, I would talk about the battle lines of the Cold War were drawn in China prior to World War 2 in their civil war, and that it sort of "spilled over" into the surrounding region after World War 2. In this context you must mention Korea. The Chinese puppet-state invaded its southern neighbor while China prepared to invade Taiwan. American fleet moved into the Taiwan Strait, which led to the forces that were going to invade Taiwan being deployed across the Yalu River to disrupt the UN intervention on the Korean peninsula.
Mention what losing their Indochina colony to communist insurgents meant for France in the context of colonialism. The lesson they learned there was the same that would be learned by the British in Rhodesia.

But say that these open conflicts only hinted at cultural changes throughout the west that were happening under the surface.
>>
>>594874
Thanks, this is good.
>>
>>594796

It would be good to talk about how it effected central america with the proxy wars and the US and Soviets supporting different left-wing and right-wing governments and how that causes the US to militarily intervene and support coups

it was essentially a microcosm of the cold war and it also will red-pill people about how the US sometimes prefers business interests over democracy
>>
Just so you know that this is supposed to be the start of the cold war, I don't want to cover the whole thing because that takes more than one class to cover correctly.

So I'm just going to mention the missile crisis, death squads and interventions in South America, Afghanistan, Vietnam and Korea as an intro to the next class which will focus more on the global scale. But I will stress the global scale fact in this one as well, covering spheres of influence over the world.

This is sort of supposed to teach them all the basics and what led to all of that.

It's just that I have very little time left to do this and a lot of other stuff so I don't have time to read up and refresh my memory of all the details. I don't want to miss something important.

Also I will try to involve the students more by asking questions and I want them to be able to really understand the conflict.
>>
you could probably go pre-war and look at the 'western betrayal' for the likes of poland or czech, and the subsequent grab for power during the war (e.g. communist partisans, warsaw) to look at the cold war issue from the inside a bit other than just two superpowers expanding their sphere of influence
>>
Western vs Eastern war crimes trials & MacArthurism in Japan
Limits on the Western capitalist powers: RAF Mutinies in India & Cairo, US "mutinies" in Europe over repatriation, the Rape of Japan
KKE & the holdback orders generally
India & National Liberation
Czech Coup / Rajk Purge / Plan for invastion of Yugoslavia: 47-53 Push
The development of the Northern and Southern Korean proxy states and their Backer's attitudes to the 10 division armies
>>
>>594936
This is great, yeah.
>>
>>594937
Thanks, will use some of these.
>>
Does anyone have any propaganda or caricatures I could use as an introduction to the class?
>>
I think I would give some attention to the fear that was general in the US, Europe, and I suspect the USSR at the start of what became the Cold War. There are more than enough representations in popular culture, as well at the political trends at the time in the US (the Red Scare, McCarthyism, etc.). Too much of a focus on the exterior international events deprives the students of a understanding of how these were also reflections of what was happening within these societies. Stalin's renewed purges in Leningrad, the upper ranks of the party and the Doctors Purges could also be seen as reflections of the post-war fear.
>>
>>595353
I would do a quick run through the Library of Congress website, also the Hoover Institution site
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.