[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Language Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: 1447166510075.jpg (17KB, 375x360px) Image search: [Google]
1447166510075.jpg
17KB, 375x360px
https://youtu.be/50By01L7uzY

>that Ancient Chinese

Language Thread
>What language(s) are you studying?
>How would you rate your level?
>What languages would you like to learn?
>>
File: 53015PrintC0233Web1.jpg (200KB, 940x705px) Image search: [Google]
53015PrintC0233Web1.jpg
200KB, 940x705px
>>594557
yeah ancient chinese sounds like a drunk guy trolling

Portuguese.
Meh. I don't really practice anything other than the memorization of a few poems. Can read fairly well with a dictionary. No fluency.

Persian, Arabic, German, Italian, ancient/koine Greek.
>>
File: 1447375692413.png (75KB, 348x301px) Image search: [Google]
1447375692413.png
75KB, 348x301px
>>594557
OP here, I'll weigh in with a lil bump and explanation of my own situation

Pretty basic bitch, but Spanish.

I think I'm squarely at intermediate. I'm studying abroad in Spain right now and living with a host family, so I'm definitely learning at an advanced rate, and can hold a conversation, but still having troubles. I think part of it is because I'm friends with a lot of international students and due to varying levels we sometimes talk more English than Spanish, even though we try to speak Spanish amongst ourselves. Don't have the "full" immersion feeling yet.

Arabic, Korean, Portuguese (pretty natural segue), French, Russian.

Any polyglots on /his/? How many languages do you speak? And what did you do to learn them? What's your "secret"?
>>
>>594557
ryukyuan.... so kawaii
>>
>>594785
How different is it from Japanese?
>>
>>594557
Dutch as a hobby for the past 2 years, but I'll start studying Spanish on a more academical level in a few months.
Can get the gist of most texts. Can barely understand conversations.
Latin, Italian, Irish.
>>
>what language are you studying?
Russian
>What level you at?
I can barely read the alphabet
>What language would you like to learn?
I think I'd like to learn German, Swedish
>>
>>594897
>dutch
Krijg kanker teringbuitenlander
>>
>>594557
German
Just enough to say I 'speak some German'. I can read simple sentences, and have a vocabulary of a few hundred words.
Gaelic, Korean.
>>
>>594557
>What languages are you studying?
Russian
Not fluent. Haven't really tested my skills at conversation (don't have anyone to do it with!), but I suppose it's going alright. Far from fluent.
Welsh (I live in the UK), Icelandic (seems pretty, but equally difficult) and I have some idea of Ukranian already.
>>
I'm studying Japanese and just started a couple months ago so my level is still quite low. I have so far learned all the spoken sounds of the language, the writing system, and ~200-300 of the 625 most spoken words.

Next step after mastering the 625 words is to move on to grammar structures and an additional 1000 words.
>>
>>594953
nee, u, kankermongool
>>
>>594557
I'm studying French, and while I'm not exactly fluent I can say a couple dozen simple sentences and know the basic grammar rules and such. German or Spainish would be nice to learn in the future
>>
Turkish
Not good. I can practice speaking to this Turkish guy I'm friends with but my pronunciation is sloppy
>What languages would you like to learn
Italian and Amharic. Maybe Farsi too.
>>
File: 1431818490467.png (56KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1431818490467.png
56KB, 300x300px
>>594557
Mostly Japanese, German very seldom
So far my latest fire trial was engaging in a simple conversation with some japanese tourist who where visiting my hometown, I could maintain the conversation fluid most of the time, but at one time one of them asked me a question and I had to honestly tell him "wakarimasen" (I don't understand) and then he proceded to re-phrase his question, this time I understood.

tl;dr I think I might be close to intermediate level

Russian, arabic, greek, polish, croatian, french, italian

>>594752
>Any polyglots on /his/?
How many languages exactly do you need to be a polyglot? 4? 6? I only speak three fluently not counting the ones I mentioned earlier
>>
>>594557
私は日本語が勉強します。私は一年生です。
I eventually want to learn koine greek because I just started to catch the Athens bug.
>>
>>594557
Mandarin
1/10
Old English
>>
Lingua Latina
Not the greatest, I have difficulty composing sentences, but I can do an alright job of translating into English.
Modern Swedish, Arabic, Chinese
>>
>>594557
Japanese
Beginner
German, Latin, Mandarin, French, Classical Chinese, Ithkuil, and Attic Greek.
>>

Russian & Spanish

I only know random words in Russian. My Spanish pretty decent. I can understand people but I sometimes struggle making complex sentences. My mom taught me when I was a kid.

I'd love to learn German. People shouldn't fall for the German sounds angry meme.
>>
>>594557
English
>>
Classical Nāhuatl, the language is dank as shit.

Also a few Great Andamanese languages which I learned from Radcliffe-Brown's book.
>>
Esperanto
My Latin is horrible, German was enough to get me though german school, my English is satisfying enough, as is my Serbo-croatian. All in all I'm overall OK, without being exceptional in any thing.
Japanese, Russian, French, Spanish, Lisp
>>
>>600514
Misunderstood the second question - though it was languages in general.

I've barely memorized a quarter of the base vocabulary and still haven't spent too much time with grammar.
>>
>>594557
Atm none
10/10
>What languages would you like to learn
German for sure. I'd also like Swedish, Russian and some non-European one, like Japanese but I don't think I ever will
>>
Mandarin, Italian, Japanese, English and Spanish. I can read Korean however. I can also read French and understand huge chunks of it but i don't really like it. I want to learn languages from india or russian.
>>
>>596586
Reading your sentence made me smile. I hope you learn Japanese more in the future.
>>
>>603405
What is your native language and how long did it take you learn Mandarin? To me that's like the ur-difficult language.
>>
>>594557

>>What language(s) are you studying?

Italian and Russian on and off.

>>How would you rate your level?

Italian im able to follow conversations and read basic news pieces but my writing and speaking is appalling and ive not really done any serious studying for 6+ months. Id rather learn French or Spanish but my Grandma is Italian and i feel guilty learning a romance language that isnt Italian.

Russian i just started but im finding it very difficult already. My brain just struggles with the word length and pronunciation. There are a lot of reasons for me to learn it but its difficulty makes it hard to get motivated.
>>What languages would you like to learn?

Mandarin. For the text, i think the writing system is cool as fuck. Also there is a fuck tonne of history out there that is only written in Mandarin.

French. Sounds beautiful. Its a 'prestigious' language

Spanish. Number of speakers is a big one. There is also a lot of media out there.
>>
>>603676
My native language is spanish and japanese. I grew up billingual. Chinese for me was interesting because i had kanji practice before with japanese. They didn't look like just sticks to me as many people have said it looks like to them. I also live in the USA so I am going to school here so I can speak English well.
>>
>>600177
My nigga

I dabble in lots of minority languages like Ainu or Lakota, but Nāhuatl is something special
>>
>>594557
Portuguese (BR)
Toddler level. Still learning vocab and sentence structure. Cheating with some background in French
Arabic, Turkish, German,Thai, Japanese, and Hindi
>>
Italian
Below average. Can't really hold a conversation right now. But since I plan on attaining fluency, I want to take a trip to Italy.

French, Spanish and German.
>>
German
I'm starting to move on from A1 to A2. I can handle simple to intermediate sentences but longer sentences (which German seems to love) fuck me up big time. I'm trying to increase my vocab mostly at this point since Harry Potter is fucking my shit up with all kinds of words not found in typical textbooks. I have an alright conversational level (thank you Michel Thomas!) but no one to really talk with in German so my learning is a bit stunted.
Russian, Japanese, Latin.
>>
>>594557
>>What language(s) are you studying?
English (UK)
>>How would you rate your level?
Might be better.
>>What languages would you like to learn?
Japanese, Sanskrit
>>
>>604689
I think you mean to say it should be "could be better" rather than "might"
>>
>>600177
neat.jpg

how hard is it?
>>
>>600177
I took a class about the history of Mexico, and I remember how the professor told us the Franciscans thought Nāhuatl was "exquisite" and better than Latin.

Pretty fucking dank, I would love to learn or at least dabble in it.

Got any resources to share or can you give an idea of what you're doing to learn? Google doesn't glean much.

>tfw you will never give a tlaxcaltecan maiden a good dicking then read Nāhuatl poetry while she cooks up some dank turkey tamales
>>
>>594557
>Egyptian
its always read as if its some chant in these youtube videos. for christs sake, people spoke it every day about various topics ranging from food to fucking.
>Sumerian/Akkadian
went on a basic course of sumerian. everything about it is pure peasantry and revolves around farming, trade and enormous amount of faith. it sounds exactly like that too.
>Hittite
intimidating, has that strange flow and pronounciation
>Old Greek
standard language for various uses. not even Latin is as flexible as Greek.
>Latin
pure autism. always claimed it. order/society/law/military. totally that "left brain" aspect.
>Old Church Slavonic
i think its the coziest, but I might be biased because I speak a Slavic langauge that is similar to this

Phoenician is by far the most digusting ancient language I've heard spoken so far, not even Sumerian is like that.
>>
>>594557
Italian
I can understand Mussolini's speeches without subtitles, so that's a good sign.
Spanish, one of the Arabic dialects
>>
>>604758
>I remember how the professor told us the Franciscans thought Nāhuatl was "exquisite" and better than Latin.

A+ Prof you have there
>>
File: woah.jpg (62KB, 562x530px) Image search: [Google]
woah.jpg
62KB, 562x530px
>What language are you studying?
Mandarin
intermediate, just building my vocab of nouns, got the grammar down.
Japanese, German, Russian, Mongolian
Good chance I'll be forced to learn Japanese for work, which might confuse the FUCK out of me. (kanji vs hanzi) Love languages though
>>
>>600514
>Esperanto

I've been think about picking that up. Has it helped you with understanding other languages?
>>
>>600177
Yeah but does it have an interesting literature?

I have only come across a few medieval catholic plays, translations, far to few historical documents, and Zapata's letter.
>>
>>594993
hey anon I too am looking for someone to practice it, do you have Steam? (look up "Supremax", or answer anyway and I can just give you an email)
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.