[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is studying history and the humanities so comfy, yet job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

File: Sad-Frog-Meme-Gun-021.jpg (9KB, 267x181px) Image search: [Google]
Sad-Frog-Meme-Gun-021.jpg
9KB, 267x181px
Why is studying history and the humanities so comfy, yet job prospects and opportunites virtually nonexistent besides K-12 history and English teachers?
>>
File: happy-baby-turtle-is-happy.jpg (36KB, 700x528px) Image search: [Google]
happy-baby-turtle-is-happy.jpg
36KB, 700x528px
>>591559

>tfw history graduate and call centre worker
>tfw when straight A science and maths student at school
>tfw when I just had a cool history teacher that made it sound like fun

Never mind. I enjoyed it. And it was, indeed, comfy as fugg.

At the end of the day the choices I made have their causation from a chain of events going back to the Big Bang and maybe beyond and I also really like my job anyway.

The one choice in life is between, suicide, philosophical suicide and accepting the absurd and finding meaning and happiness in life anyway.
>>
Every discipline gets the job market it deserves.
>>
File: 8380.jpg (13KB, 395x395px) Image search: [Google]
8380.jpg
13KB, 395x395px
Because marketable skills revolve around the services you can provide for others, that they'd be willing to pay for. Studying history and the humanities doesn't equip you with practical skills that are in-demand in this economy.
>>
>>591559
It's one of the many symbols of Western decadence.
>>
>>591559
>>591572
Aren't there opportunities in academia or writing books?
>>
Personally I think if you don't enjoy teaching k-12 you need to be fully prepared to go to grad school and enter academia. Otherwise you kind of are just wasting that BA. Yes it's competitive as fuck and takes a lot of work and college kids suck in their own way but you could actually do what you love if you work at it.

Just try and get a scholarship because whoo boy loans will fuck you.
>>
>>591574
cocaine deserves the market it gets notwithstanding legality? humans have created a demand for this drug. is that right?
>>
>>591631

gotta go with the flow anon if you want to make things better
>>
desu that's why history is better as a hobby.

I myself study law which where i live actually walks hand in hand with history (sort of)

The first question on my UNI's application test was something on the lines of "How did law change during the middle ages"
>>
>>591572
Fuck off, you pretentious cunt. Journalism, teaching and anything media related are all open jobs to a history graduate.

You may only earn middling income, but hey. Choose life, choose a job, choose a career, family, etc etc etc.
>>
They aren't, except for engineering and science nearly every job is open to humanities graduates, stop feeling sorry for yourself
>>
>>591689
t. history grad who used to have a 28k starting job in accountancy
>>
>>591559

Because you are more comfortable being a passive observer of humanity rather than an active participant.
>>
>>591663

Quoting Irvine Welsh at me proves nothing, Begbie, you radge cunt.
>>
>>591705

At the end of the day, anon, you are nothing but part of a chain of causality that goes back to the Big Bang or beyond. Enjoy being a passive observer to physics unfolding and know that without conscious witnesses, like you, to the Universe then the Universe itself would be pointless. But don't get above yourself.
>>
>>591741
shut the FUCK up you stupid fucking nerd LOL
don't ever fucking reply to me ever again
>>
File: Blade-gunner.jpg (303KB, 2500x1813px) Image search: [Google]
Blade-gunner.jpg
303KB, 2500x1813px
>>591794
>>
I'm hoping to get into library & info sciences

Either transcend comfiness in a library, or analyze information/data for a living
>>
>>591831

one of my fraternity's alumni works for UVA's library and roams the countryside looking for rare books in old peoples' houses

I wish I'd known that was an option before I set my mind on law.
>>
>For the purpose of determining what is history, please do not start threads about events taking place less than 25 years ago.

Did you get your history degree in 1991, OP?
If not, why are you posting about it here?
>>
>>591574
>physics
>chemistry
>>
File: unsure_anime_girl_4.png (189KB, 387x558px) Image search: [Google]
unsure_anime_girl_4.png
189KB, 387x558px
Because it's part of liberal studies, i.e. literally things you study at times when you're free. It serves no extrinsic utility to society and that's why the job prospects are not as glam as, say, that of the code monkeys.

Everyone should know this before deciding what they're going to study in uni.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.