[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ancient Greeks considered almost every other civilization to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

Ancient Greeks considered almost every other civilization to be barbarian and inferior but loved the Egyptians. Why?
>>
BBC
>>
>>590051

unlike the Perisa they did not waged wars against Egypt (pre-Alexander) thus they did not developed propaganda diminishing the egyptian civilization as they did with the various other empires they used to wage war against
>>
So you'z sayin...
>>
Because the Egyptians were an advanced society when the Greeks were the barbarians. Their encountering the Egyptians had a profound effect on Greek culture and art.
>>
I think they also respected Babylonians aka Chaldeans.
>>
>>590051
If you do your research on many prominent philosophers and mathematicians of Ancient Greece, their life travels, and where their ideas were influenced from; Egypt comes up as a reoccurring theme.
>>
>>590051
They were heavily influenced by Ancient Egyptians and Phoenicians
Also I don't think they viewed the Persians as Barbaric but rather despotic
>>
>>590188
Maybe you're right. I was always under the impression that they considered Persians to be savages.
>>
>>590074
,>WE
>>
Because they were black just like them.
>>
>>590394
curious about this. i'm greek, and lately when asked on forms i have either put other or decline to answer. can i put black?
>>
>>590404
>Be greek
>get scholarship for being black, homosexual and a certified boy lover.
>>
>>590188
The Persians were barbarians.

Barbarian doesn't mean like Conan the Barbarian, but foreigner.
>>
>>590188
Greeks always cherrypicked on something to disregard other peoples. Just like us. They thought of persians as effeminate tyrants despite the persians being a more wealthy civilization
>>
>>590188
they literally referred to Persians as barbarians
>>
>>590394

Greeks are not negroid.
>>
Greek folks were in caves while Egypt was building empires...Egyptians taught philosophy and astrology and mathematics before Socrates and those Greek homos ever got around to it.
>>
>extraordinary monumental architecture
>unrivalled veneration of the gods and the natural world
>advanced knowledge and culture
>sheer antiquity and staying power

Egypt was to the Greeks as Greece is to the west. They admired Mesopotamia similarly for their grand cities (these influenced the conception of city states) but these hardly match Egypt. They also considered the near East more effete because of their hedonism and self-indulgence, way more than Egypt
>>
>>590394
Is this even bait? Do millenial ignorants seriously think everything other than never-seen-daylight skintones are black?
>>
>>590188
>>590311
>>590444
>>590487
"barbaros" - peoples who do not speak Greek. That excludes foreigners who were speakers of a Greek dialect.
>>
Barbarian the word comes from what the Greeks thought Persian sounded like "bar bar"

It's like chingchongian became a legit word.
>>
File: Fayum-portrait.jpg (238KB, 886x1139px) Image search: [Google]
Fayum-portrait.jpg
238KB, 886x1139px
>>590051
>>590188
>>590474
anyone know what the general stereotypes Greeks had of different cultures in the Mediterranean world?
>>
>>590686

They had a grudging respect for Romans. They considered that the Romans are masters of statesmanship and passing efficient laws. Also, the Roman Legionnaire was considered to be the ultimate soldier.
>>
>>590946
nice

got any more?
>>
>>590987
I have the reverse: Romans called the Greeks "little men" because they were basically so cucked by Rome's day they were treated as inferior
>>
File: office11_3152994b.jpg (132KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
office11_3152994b.jpg
132KB, 620x387px
>>591001
go on...
>>
Herodetes concluded that since their gods were demonstrably older than the Greeks, their civilization was as well. Kind of hard to see someone as a barbarian who has had a civilization since forever.
>>
>>591207
barbarian simply means someone who doesnt speak greek
>>
File: feczx.gif (1MB, 533x295px) Image search: [Google]
feczx.gif
1MB, 533x295px
>>590659
>mfw chingers are an actual word used to refer to Asians in my local dialect
>>
>>591001
The Romans were basically drooling over Greek culture and Philosophy though.
>>
>>591314
High class Romans at least.
I'm sure plebs who only speake latin could really give a fuck.
They got guallish phalluses to trade on in the forum chan and bathes to take.
>>
>>590604
Is this bait?
>>
>>591314
Yeah, we also gawk over past cultures today even if the country today is a shithole.
>>
>>590659
I thought the bar bar sound came from northern people like Thracians or Dacians.
>>
>>591314
Not always
>>
>>590516
t. Al Sharpton
>>
>>590072
>waged wars
>diminishing
The Persians attacked Greece for centuries before the Greeks traveled further than the west coast of Anatolia. Just because they are brown doesn't mean they are innocent.
>>
Consider it like this, the egyptian civilisation was as old to the greeks as the greeks are to us.
>>
>>590659
More like Durkadurkians.
>>
>>590065
>>590074
>>590386
>>590394
>>590404
>>590440
>>590925
>>593509
if I were a mod, I would permanently block each and every one of you fucking retards
you derail every thread with your fucking memes
EVERY
SINGLE
THREAD
that deals with Egyptians you say this
you're the same shits that derail viking and samurai threads
FUCK OFF, FUCKING ANTIDOTES OF INTELLECTUAL CURIOUSITY
>>
File: 1452681097749.jpg (16KB, 357x379px) Image search: [Google]
1452681097749.jpg
16KB, 357x379px
>>594442
REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>590686

Greeks, and later Romans, considered Easterners to be effeminate and pampered. This can be seen in the propaganda war between Octavian and Marc Antony. Octavian's poet-propagandists painted Antony as a former model Roman who had gone native for Cleopatra's vagina.
>>
>>594042
Lel
Greeks were selling their services as mercenaries to Egypt before the arrival of the persians on the world stage.
>>
>>590474
Not despite but because of. Wealth was seen as a corrupting influence which led to effiminate tastes such as the love of good food.
>>
>>590686
Reading Herodotos is a great way of gaining some insight into what you are asking about.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.