[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to learn about the Austrian empire. Where do I start?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Ooshong.gif (268KB, 1000x630px) Image search: [Google]
Ooshong.gif
268KB, 1000x630px
I want to learn about the Austrian empire.
Where do I start?
>>
>>589951
>Austrian
Empire

More like Habsburg Empire of Assorted People Nobody Wanted
>>
>>589963
You got something against slavs, tough guy?
I won't comment on the others but Croats were a legitimate part of Austria and our history isn't full of shitflinging.
>>
>>589981
I got something against "Austrian" identity.
>>
>>589951
>indivisible and inseparable

Well that sure worked out
>>
>>589951
>Wants to learn about the Austrian Empire, posts the coat of arms of Austria-Hungary
>>
>>590009
Hungarians are the embarrassing part nobody wants to remember.
>>
>>589951
>I want to learn about the Austrian empire.
>Where do I start?
Austria.
>>
>>590007
They had a pretty good run, anon. Nationalism kills the empire in the end
>>
>>589951
With Rudolf I
>>
>>589951
>Austrian empire.

But that is Astro-Hungary which you posted.

What do you wan to know anyway? They were German, conquered a lot of territories after the 16th century, used North ans East Hungary as a buffer zone between them and the Ottomans, after they finally decided to fight against them (took 150 years, they had no real intention to actually "defend europe", the turk just got annoying), Hungary was mostly free again, but the population density of ethnic hungarians were low because of the wars, so other minorities had to be moved in/moved in anyway.

The Empire got multicultural as fuck, but the biggest minority was still the Hungarians, so after they could only defeat the hungarian revolution of 1848-49 with the help of the Tsar, and 15 or so years later Bischmark kicks their ass and they lose most of their German principalities they decide to do a dual-monarchy, which obviously fails because other minorites get treated like shit.

Tl;dr: They should had just made a Confederation after 1866 with equal rights to everyone, and today Eastern Europe wouldn't be such a shithole.
>>
>>590046
>But that is Astro-Hungary which you posted.

Why is everyone being anal about that? Yes, Austrian empire existed before and after they merged with the Madyars. Whatever.

I want to know their history because I live in a country that was part of Austro-Hungary and our history is mostly biased against them and shows them as the bad guys. I thought maybe respected english-speaking historians are better to read and I'd like some book recommendations. But it seems nobody here actually reads books unlike /lit/, kinda sad.
>>
>>590064
>Austrian empire
There was no "Austrian" identity in Habsburg-controlled territories, which is the main reason why Interwar Austria was so unsuccessful.
>>
File: music.jpg (192KB, 900x557px) Image search: [Google]
music.jpg
192KB, 900x557px
>>589951
>>
>>589981
>croats

God damned man, find yourselves some pride other than "we dun killed some serbian wymyn and children" and "we were whoever was tough around here's bitch-ass retainers"
>>
>>590046
Also, most of the valuable territories the Hapsburg got were acquired through marriage. They were famous for that.

>used North ans East Hungary as a buffer zone between them and the Ottomans, after they finally decided to fight against them (took 150 years, they had no real intention to actually "defend europe", the turk just got annoying)

The reason the Hapsburgs never cared much for Hungary, Croatia or any of their eastern territories was because all of their most valuable territories were in the West. In Germany. When they gave money or military in the eastern provinces it was mostly to protect their Austrian territories. All that changed after the Prussians BTFOed them in 1866. After that it was obvious the Greater German Solution has no chances and the Prussians are going to be the ones to unify Germany. So, its no coincidence that the A-H Compromise was made the next year in 1867. Austria had no chances in the West, so they changed their political pretensions to the east.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.