[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /his/ thoughts about Nomadism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 10

File: mongolian_nomads2.jpg (21KB, 671x450px) Image search: [Google]
mongolian_nomads2.jpg
21KB, 671x450px
What is /his/ thoughts about Nomadism?
>>
Smooth space v striated space
>>
>>586285
they need to settle down.
>>
>>586285
They seem to be all over the place.
>>
I stand by Bey's thinking, cyber / psych-nomadism it's the next big thing, in an anarchist or antiestablishment perspective

>>586504
W A R M A C H I N E
>>
File: 138[1].gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
138[1].gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>586528
>>586514
>>
>>586285
It's okay in my book as long as you don't start banding up together for no reason and begin plundering villages
>>
File: Iraniankek.jpg (24KB, 826x552px) Image search: [Google]
Iraniankek.jpg
24KB, 826x552px
>>586514
>>
>>586593
Afaik they mostly plundered villages if they were pretty poor and couldn't trade/couldn't tax traders.
>>
File: b.png (2MB, 1462x1462px) Image search: [Google]
b.png
2MB, 1462x1462px
>>586514
>>
They are pretty based

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6d1SXd7KXU
>>
>>586528
despite what popular culture thinks, nomads didn't move all the place willy nilly

Each settlement had at least two constant camp grounds -- usually one for winter and another summer. Maybe yet another summer camp if cattle eats all the grass too fast.
>>
>>586285
Are those guys Finnish ?
>>
>>588102
No, they raided anything that wasn't too well defended to raid. Poorly defended settlements on the edge of nomad territory run into a tragedy of the commons situation.

Any food and loot you don't take in order to let them survive for future trade-or raiding, in reality-will simply be seized by others, which provides you no gain.

So kill everyone you don't have a use for, enslave the rest, and take everything. Anything you leave eventually enriches your rivals.
>>
>>589127
>all nomadic people in human history behaved precisely the same
Reee
>>
>>590181
They are remarkably similar in their treatment of sedentary people, yes.
>>
>>589109
They're called Finngolians

The Finnish are an imaginary people created by Tolkien
>>
File: Badjao Boathouse.jpg (1021KB, 3872x2592px) Image search: [Google]
Badjao Boathouse.jpg
1021KB, 3872x2592px
>>586285
Nomadism seems to be dominated by Horse-Nomad image.

No love is given to Sea Nomads.
>>
>>586285
Probably most sustainable way of living humanity could think of in the long term.
>>
My recent ancestors were nomads. Pretty chill life. Literally and figuratively.
>>
>>591773
True but only if you can knock down the human population in terms of billions.
>>
>>586539
>cyber / psych-nomadism
This sounds cool as fuck but what does it entail?
>>
>>591793
If everyone stayed nomads it wouldn't get this far there are just too many of us and we consume too much
>>
>>591806

Instead of following the herd to where there's more grazing grounds, they'd be the herd going to the next free wi-fi spot.
>>
>>586285
I believe that semi nomadic life is better. I believe in wintering in a warmer climate and vice a versa migrating to a cooler area during summer.
>>
>>586285
It's shit tier. I don't doubt that nomads might be happier but permanent settlements allows for more growth and development. If you left nomads alone for a million years they wouldn't make any changes to their lifestyle, they wouldn't create great monuments or works of art and they wouldn't invent and push human ingenuity to its limits.
>>
>>591928
You're wrong, we've evolved too fast, our cities are filthy dirty polluted shitholes.

The world is polluted beyond compare. We should still be semi nomadic, ie. having settlements/buildings but migrating.

The world today is overpopulated and one natural disaster could tip the whole species to the point of extinction.
>>
>>591943
Those problems relate more to overconsumption, not overpopulation.
>>
>>591958
Also being able to adapt to new environments allows the species to evolve whereas it stagnates in cities.

Who fares better between the city dweller and semi-nomadic person in a natural disaster? The Semi nomadic person would find it easier to migrate to a new area and assimilate the environment better than the city dweller.
>>
>>591943
>the world is overpopulated

The entirety of Earth's 7+ billion humans could live in Texas and each of them would be able to have a home with a lawn. Admittedly, it wouldn't look pretty, but the world is not overpopulated. People in the 50s and 60s predicted mass famines in the 80s and 90s, and obesity became the largest growing health problem instead.

This overpopulation meme needs to die.
>>
>>591974
Advanced city dwellers can utilize modern technology, your semi-nomads can't.
>>
>>591987
That advanced technology is made by dwindling resources so nomads are more durable.
>>
>>591975

You are a retard and need to die.

Britain has a population of 60 million people, if trade stops to Britain, within a week people would literally starve, within a month they would turn to cannibalism.

GTFO of here with that retarded shit.
>>
>>591987
> modern technology
kek, Electricity doesn't grow on trees faggot.
>>
>>591992
I wasn't aware the sun, wind, and nuclear power ran out so easily.

>>591996
>if trade stops

That's a pretty big IF you fucking loon.
>>
>>591992
And what will the nomads do? Refuse to use finite resources and live in harmony with nature until the suns turns into a red giant and kills everyone?
>>
>>591996
>A fucking ISLAND is going to starve in case of embargo therefore all of the world can
>>
>>591999
>>592007
>That's a pretty big IF you fucking loon.
Proves the point that the population is not self sustaining and therefore is over populated.

I was talking in the context of a Yellowstone Volcano event which would literally destroy America.
>>
>>591999
I wasn't aware those technologies were efficient enough to sustain the world's increasing and more consuming population

>>592000
More or less yeah but atleast they would survive longer ofcourse life would be shittier in general but the human race would not go extinct for a longer time.
>>
>>592029
>More or less yeah but atleast they would survive longer ofcourse life would be shittier in general but the human race would not go extinct for a longer time.
Unless the city dwellers manage to master space travel, that is. Just managing to learn the basics of asteroid mining would leave us with an immense abundance of a throng of metals and other resources.
>>
>>592024
What the fuck, so everyone has to be producing their own food or we're overpopulated? You do realize that means everyone has to be farmers and we hardly get any cultural, technological, or any other advancements, right? Because if that's not the case, then we're overpopulated and need to be aware that random events might come by to cull the herd or something?

This is such a stupid line of thinking.

>>592029
They're getting more efficient, and nuclear's already damn efficient.

>not go extinct for a longer time

Nigger I think when the sun expands and engulfs Earth it won't matter how high our score was in the "Eco-friendly" department.
>>
>>591987
the mongols had no problem utilizing modern technology, their antics may have actually facilitated its spread and development

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samarkand
>>
>>592038
Dependent on non-nomadic people so it isn't a valid point.
>>
>>592035
Everyone was producing their own food in the early and high middle ages weren't they ?
Cultural and technological advances weren't halted by that.
>>
File: 1449452950584.jpg (27KB, 635x417px) Image search: [Google]
1449452950584.jpg
27KB, 635x417px
>>592065

People who did NOT produce their own food:
>monks/monasteries
>feudal lords
>nobility
>burghers (literally everyone in a fucking city)
>sailors
>soldiers
>etc
>etc
>etc

So yeah, I'd say this line of thinking is pretty stupid.
>>
>>592035
Dude you're acting as if environmental pollution is so insignificant that it won't affect us because it will especially if we keep producing higher quantities of it including nuclear waste. Already water is becoming more scarce in the world as is agricultural land decreasing due to desert formation in places like southern europe.
>>
>>592035
>What the fuck, so everyone has to be producing their own food or we're overpopulated? You do realize that means everyone has to be farmers and we hardly get any cultural, technological, or any other advancements, right? Because if that's not the case, then we're overpopulated and need to be aware that random events might come by to cull the herd or something?
>This is such a stupid line of thinking.
I know someone who liked to jog, they just happened to live in London, to get to the point, they got carbon poisoning from gulping deep breathes of polluted air. They were literally hospitalized by it.

Cities are unhealthy places, I will never live in one of those filthy abominations.

Diesel from cars is poisoning every city, the manufacturers all lie about the emissions, recent studies have shown that busy city streets are above safe levels for carbon monoxide and related petro chemicals.

The world is filled with absolute poison, and yes I would rather live in a more nomadic world with less people.
>>
>>592049
That is true, but if the point is to ditch technology, why do you specifically need to be nomadic? Because nomads are kind of "locked" into a system that doesn't allow technological progress?

If your nomads are like the Mongols who loved technology this disproves that point, you might actually accomplish the opposite with a society that invests an enormous amount of resources into technology to maintain their nomadic lifestyle as opposed to our decadent hedonistic culture. I'm not sure what leg your point stands on.
>>
>>592082
>implying we'll just ignore it all

You do realize that as lack of conservation becomes a problem, conservation efforts will increase, right? You do realize that the vast majority of people are much more intelligent than you in organizing their own priorities, right?

We invented recycling and are refining recycling processes, and we are continuing to improve technologically and will use that to our advantage. We don't live in the age of coal-burning factories anymore, and have gone through several advancements that have made our industries cleaner. Also, we're not all horrible totalitarian bureaucracies like China that don't give a shit about human beans. You're almost demanding instant improvement whereas history has shown improvement is a gradual process.

>>592097
Alright, bye then.
>>
File: smog.jpg (39KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
smog.jpg
39KB, 620x387px
There are people in this thread who would tell people that all lung problems are caused by cigarettes.
>>
>>592102
I think you confuse me with someone else. I'm not promoting any nomadic lifestyle, I said that Samarkand (and by extension, any Mongol use of technology) isn't a valid point so any tech they appropriated wasn't nomadic in origin. If there sedentary people to begin with then no nomads will be able to utilize their technology.
>>
>>592116
if there aren't*
>>
File: Whore1.jpg (236KB, 1065x725px) Image search: [Google]
Whore1.jpg
236KB, 1065x725px
>>592112
>Alright, bye then.
The population of Egypt was 4 million in 1800, now it is close to 90 million.

They are overpopulated.

America is still a new Empire on largely virgin lands, the rest of the world is not. You're a whore.
>>
>>592112
Already conservation efforts are increasing but they aren't enough especially with countries like china and india industrilaizing at such a fast rate let alone tge already industrialised countries fucling shit up as they do besides its not like many countries aside from maybe germany are trying to actually limit their impacts on the environment. Personally I blame the idea of infinite economical growth .
>>
we don't have to give up technology to stop pollution, luddites are fedoratipping attention whores
>>
>>592248
Ofcourse we don't , we should try making it efficient as possible but the current political climate obstructs that.
>>
>>592125
You're a fucking lunatic. Your definition of "overpopulation" means that the world has ALWAYS been overpopulated ever since people adopted semi-nomadic lifestyles.

>>592232
Possible* economic growth is infinite, to an extent. But China and India are just going through the hoops we already jumped through. It's not the way things will always be.
>>
>>586285
my thougths?

they seem to wander:^)
>>
>>591943
parts of our cities are filthy. parts are the most amazing things humans have ever made.
>>
File: average Mongolian.jpg (228KB, 1024x679px) Image search: [Google]
average Mongolian.jpg
228KB, 1024x679px
>>586285
Nomads had an exceptional impact on history despite utilizing a fraction of the energy of sedentary agricultural civilizations. This is due to nomadic skills inherently having more military application, horse riding most notably. A agricultural civilization could theoretically have a larger and better trained military than any group of nomads could muster, but that takes foresight and humans don't always have that. Spend a little too much on scholarly pursuits instead of defense and you run the risk of being conquered should the nomadic tribes on your border unite.
>>
>>592065
That's exactly why advancement was halted during the middle ages. Food production was low and everyone had to work their ass off just to survive. Once agriculture improved, so did science, art and culture.
>>
The fact that some populations are starving isn't the result of overpopulation but distribution of goods.
>>
File: REEEE.png (473KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
REEEE.png
473KB, 900x900px
>>591616
>>589109
We are not even related to mongolians, ree! Samoyeds are our asian cousins
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.