[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So we all know about the gladiators, but which other cultures

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11

So we all know about the gladiators, but which other cultures had bloodsports?

What were they?
>>
posting weeb shit should result in permaban to be honest

and apparently Aztecs had
>>
>>584100
Aztecs had straight up blood-everything. Their actual sports would end with a sacrifice. This isn't including the custom of kidnapping other tribes' warriors, lashing them to a tree or stone, giving them a shitty weapon, and expecting them to defend themselves from highly skilled eagle warriors.

The ancient norse has Glima, which was like grapple style wrestling... that ended with someone's spine severed on a fucking rock.
>>
>>584100
> Posting weeb shit should result in a permaban
> on a weeb board
>>
>>584147
*weeb website
>>
>>584100
>>584147
I just picked a picture at random please stop fighting.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_boxing
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 550x277px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 550x277px
>>584050
Somalia Istunka

>The event itself consists of a mock fight between the people residing on each side of the river bed in the town of Afgooye. Symbolizing the defence of one's community and honor, it coincides with the start of the main harvest season. Istunka was originally performed in full combat gear, with battle-axes, swords and daggers. However, for safety reasons, performers later replaced those weapons with large pointed sticks

Moralfags ruin everything
>>
>>584124
>that ended with someone's spine severed on a fucking rock.

That's the first I've heard of it. I know of glima, but not that it had deadly outcome.
They did have Holmgang, which did have a deadly outcome, but that would be the equivalent of a duel, not a sport.
>>
>>584050
>pictorial evidence there were female gladiators
MGTOW #gg revisionist /pol/shits
BTFO
T
F
O
>>
>>584878
Yes, there were female gladiators.

They were 12 years old.

They wore pantsu in the arena.

And they were Japanese.

Seriously though there were female child gladiators and it was pretty fucked up.
>>
>>584050
Southeast Asians have martial arts battles in the slums to determine who survives the shitty life of an indochinese individual
>>
>>584904
There were also dwarf gladiators.
>>
>>584169
**Weebsite
>>
>>584050
Greeks had boxing.
So had pretty much all civilizations following it.
>>
>>586294

I'm laughing and cringing at the same time anon.
>>
File: Lei-tai.jpg (69KB, 300x500px) Image search: [Google]
Lei-tai.jpg
69KB, 300x500px
>>584050
Imperial China had Lei Tai (literally: striking platform). There was a raised platform in which a Champion stood challenging cunts to dislodge him one by one. No specific martial arts applied: the only category was "armed or unarmed (mock weapons)" It was basically MMA King of the Hill.

The bloodsport comes in when the private duels take place. In China, duels were illegal when held privately. It must take place in a very public place such as bridges or crossroads. The Lei Tai however also opened its platforms to duellists, who were often military officers, young scholar gentlemen, and bravos.

The true Chinese equivalent of a spectator sport wasnt a combat sport: it was football (the native version of it). They had the whole fucking set: professional athletes and managers.
>>
>>586346
I want a movie about it.
>>
>>584124
>custom of kidnapping other tribes' warriors, lashing them to a tree or stone, giving them a shitty weapon, and expecting them to defend themselves from highly skilled eagle warriors.

>kidnapping women

no the people who where sacrficed where highly skilled warriors them selves, this sacrifice was usually done to the most skilled/fearsome of the captives from the last flower war

>look up flower war pleab

otherwise everything you said was true
they would give the "sacrifice" a Macuahuitl with feathers instead of rocks and a sheild made of reeds or some shit and have them face up to 4 jaguar warriors in full combat gear
>>
>>586290
there where fucking lions and elephants up in that shit!
basically you name it and romans could get their hands on it, it has died in a arena (given it was intressting to watch it die)
>>
>>586386
I believe in 1. of the Ip Man movies there's a concept extremely similar to that, an arena where people go to fight 1. on 1. and Ip Man takes on a bunch of people one after another, the idea might be based on Lei Tai
>>
>>586386

Ip man
>>
>>584904
>Seriously though there were female child gladiators and it was pretty fucked up.

can you elaborate or explain?
>>
>>586483
The book by Donald G. Kyle "Spectacles of Death in Ancient Rome" has a chapter called "The Victims" which outlines this. It's a bit long so I cannot upload everything, but it basically says there was evidence for young, and female gladiators being used as special attractions, similar to midgets.

It would be exceedingly rare, but it was highly probable that young girls were used occasionally for gladiatorial combat.

>Pagan and even Christian sources show little sympathy for slave or for formerly free noxii.119 In Apuleius a judge condemns a female poisoner to the beasts, commenting that this was less than she deserved, but there was no more cruel execution for her crime (Met. 10.28; cf. 34).

So there were totally females in the arena. Coupled with the footnote here.

>There was also a ban against free females under 20 or free males under 25 pledging themselves as gladiators (auctorare), unless so consigned by Augustus or Tiberius (lines 17–18).
Specifically it mentions FREE females under 20, because there was apparently a problem with rebellious young girls pledging as gladiators because they basically wanted to say "fuck you" to their parents. This became such a problem that they passed a statute against it.

There was obviously still a demand for it though, so I would guess non-free women were still used after the statute.
>>
>>584050
Didn't the Aztecs also play this ball game? Some kind of basketball with vertical rings that was played with a primitive rubber ball (or sometimes a human head, according to some sources). You could only play the ball with your upper limbs (upper arms and thighs). The losing team was occasionally sacrificed.
>>
>>586505
What truth is there to the statement that gladiatoral combat was usually similar to show boxing, e.g. the combat was fake and for show?
>>
>>584100
>posting weeb shit should result in permaban to be honest
This desu
>>
>>586630
it wasn't fake it just wasn't a deathmatch all the time gladiators were injured for real as the bones show and if someone got injured so badly he couldn't fight anymore then he was killed altough it was outside of the arena and sometimes they indeed died here and there altough it was rare
>>
>>586386
Fearless, from 2006
>>
>>586459
Water and ships too, simulated naval battles i arenas
>>
>>586680
>>586386

This one is a good one. Jet Li film.
>>
>>586455
He never said kidnapping women, anon
>>
>>584124
>Aztecs had straight up blood-everything. Their actual sports would end with a sacrifice

I forget what it's called, but in that generic Aztec ballgame, the ball was so heavy and dense that it would kill men who got hit in the face or the head. I picked up a replica and it was fucking heavy. It would take so much strength and energy to whack it around.
>>
>>586789
>it would kill men who got hit in the face or the head

I meant to say "the face or the belly"
>>
File: 45543345.jpg (162KB, 499x800px) Image search: [Google]
45543345.jpg
162KB, 499x800px
Nigga Stick Fighting

https://vimeo.com/45567055
>>
>>586789
The goal was also very small compared to the ball, although it wasn't the main method of scoring points, more of a golden snitch type thing.
>>
>>586630
As >>586675 said.
Although I believe only noxii would be killed if they lost. Free or famous gladiators would often just be retired and go to live with their families. They often were VERY well paid, like pro athletes.

Noxii had in infinitesimal chance of survival.
>>
File: mensur.jpg (148KB, 1519x1051px) Image search: [Google]
mensur.jpg
148KB, 1519x1051px
Does Mensur count? The goggles and neck guard were only added later. Two guys would stand still (no footwork allowed) and slash at each other with swords until one of them drew blood. It was considered badass to have a big scar on your face from Mensur dueling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mensur

>Germans
>>
Initially sumo was fought with sharp stakes placed around elevated arena
>>
File: Fearless-jet-li-7834217-1500-995.jpg (948KB, 1500x995px) Image search: [Google]
Fearless-jet-li-7834217-1500-995.jpg
948KB, 1500x995px
>>586680
>>586780
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8z8vudhm3Y>>586780
>>
Would Russian Roulette count?
>>
File: ball-court-cc-tjeerd.jpg (261KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ball-court-cc-tjeerd.jpg
261KB, 1024x768px
>>584050
The Mesoamerican Ballgame
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_ballgame
From above::
>Even without human sacrifice, the game could be brutal and there were often serious injuries inflicted by the solid, heavy ball. Today's hip-ulama players are "perpetually bruised"[21] while nearly 500 years ago Spanish chronicler Diego Durán reported that some bruises were so severe that they had to be lanced open. He also reported that players were even killed when the ball "hit them in the mouth or the stomach or the intestines".[22]
Shit could get brutal and, losers, sometimes enemy's who were captured and played died:if beheaded or sacrificed. And win or lose you still have to survive the damn game first
>>
File: Colosseum.jpg (162KB, 1002x673px) Image search: [Google]
Colosseum.jpg
162KB, 1002x673px
>>586723
>>
>>589000
Seriously?
Do you have a source on that?
>>
>>584050
>soulcalibur.jpg
>>
>>586723
>>590717
How the fuck did they transport all the water there?
>>
>>591679
Arena naval battles are not considered indisputeable fact, but also neither confirmed BS.
>>
File: Sea-Battle-2.jpg (32KB, 340x250px) Image search: [Google]
Sea-Battle-2.jpg
32KB, 340x250px
>>591679
Now that is a good question...
My quess would be some sort of wooden pipe/chute from the nearest aqueduct, as the naval battles were probally rare happenings.

Anyway, here is what I found.
http://www.tribunesandtriumphs.org/colosseum/water-battles-at-the-colosseum.htm

>Water Battles at the Colosseum - How was the Colosseum flooded?

>How was the Roman Colosseum flooded to show water battles? Was the giant arena flooded to stage the mock sea battles - known as naumachiae -or were the naval re-enactments actually staged elsewhere in Rome? These are the questions that has puzzled historians and engineers for many years. An Edinburgh engineer, Dr. Martin Crapper, has come up with a theory for how this might have been achieved. His theories have been tested by a team of experts assembled by the American ABC Discovery Channel. A timber structure could have been used to transport water from the main aqueduct to the Colosseum. X-ray imaging was used to prove that waterproof material had been used in some parts of the underground structure of the Colosseum. A system of sluice gates could be used to close off water and for water pressure to reach the correct level for the arena to be flooded by four million gallons of water to a depth of five feet within seven hours. Additional work uncovered 18 sunken blocks used to hold wooden props which held up the arena's floor and which could be removed to allow the area to be used for water battles, or naumachiae.
>>
>>586290
Romans had the right mind

Rest in peace ;-;
>>
File: 1929-zhejiang-lei-tai.jpg (2MB, 2442x1754px) Image search: [Google]
1929-zhejiang-lei-tai.jpg
2MB, 2442x1754px
>>586346
Lei Tai actually survived the Chinese Empire. It was still being held during the Republican & Warlord Era.

It was funny because Chinese trained in western martial arts such as classical wrestling or boxing also participated. It was true mma
>>
>>584904

Raped to death via Giraffe dong was also a capital punishment.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.