[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do the Vulgate and the Septuagint have "your breasts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: bride_christ[1].jpg (21KB, 300x303px) Image search: [Google]
bride_christ[1].jpg
21KB, 300x303px
Why do the Vulgate and the Septuagint have "your breasts are better than wine" in Song of Songs 1:2, while Hebrew manuscripts and modern translations have "your love is better than wine"?
>>
>>581122
Because the divine inspiration loves titties.
>>
>>581122
Because you stuck your fist in my arsehole and my womb was opened for you.

Song of Songs is 100% anal hardcore.

I'm not joking.
>>
>Bible talks about blowjobs
>no you see it's totally symbolic..

Why are abrahamics all about nofun in sex?
>>
>>581122

The Hebrew manuscripts don't say "Your love is better than wine", the original Hebrew is

יִשָּׁקֵנִי מִנְּשִׁיקוֹת פִּיהוּ, כִּי-טוֹבִים דֹּדֶיךָ מִיָּיִן

דֹּדֶיךָ in modern Hebrew is pot, but it is in biblical Hebrew a slang term for tits.

It got bowlderized, like a hell of a lot of other passages in the Bible, because someone for some reason thought that a holy book can't have any vulgarity.

Go look up Rehoboam's boast in 1 Kings, or the whole part of Dinah's child rape in Genesis.
>>
File: Kramskoi_Christ_dans_le_desert.jpg (219KB, 1134x1001px) Image search: [Google]
Kramskoi_Christ_dans_le_desert.jpg
219KB, 1134x1001px
As an unstudied man who wants to read the bible (for the first time) as it was originally written, which version should I go for? I don't like the idea of reading something polished and shaped to fit an ideal.
>>
>>582434

Learn Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek, then read it in the originals.
>>
>>582452
I'm afraid I dont wish to study the books that much.
>>
>>582452
> Aramaic
Which Bible books are written in Aramaic? I think it's either Hebrew for the OT or Greek for the NT.
>>
>>582472

Most of Daniel is written in Aramaic, as is a good chunk of Ezra. And there are a few scattered passages here and there in some of the later prophetical works; the only one I can think of offhand is Jeremiah 10:11, but I'm sure there are a few others.
>>
>>582472

Some of the Dead Sea Scrolls were in Aramaic, at least according to the ever-changing Wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_manuscript
>>
Vulgate is pretty vulgar with his language?
>>
uh, I just checked the quote and it is actually breasts.
>>
>>582481
Well, that's interesting, I thought Jews used only Hebrew as the literally language.
>>582493
DSS are not the Bible though, more like bible-inspired fanfiction.
>>
>>582434
Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia and Novum Testamentum Graece.

A translation is going to depend on the theological biases of its team, there is no way around this, no matter how much you invest in the quest for an 'ecumenical' translation, you will never find a middle ground between 'yes' and 'no', someone is going to make that decision, and his denomination will determine the outcome.

I would recommend the Jewish Study Bible and Jewish Annotated New Testament, though I'm quite sure you can guess what biases went in the translation and commentary.
>>
>>582670
Thank you for your well put together reply and insight, I will definitely look into the matter more and choose one of the versions you have recommended.
>>
Medieval rabbis trying to censor the more scandalous parts of the Bible while also trying to minimize any foretelling of the coming of Jesus.
It would probably be wise to give preference to the Septuagint and Samaritan Pentateuch readings in places where they both disagree with the MT.
>>
>>582434

The New Jerusalem Bible.

It's like reading fucking Tolkien, probably because he translated the Book of Jonah for it.
>>
>>582434
Rotherham's Emphasized Bible transcribes the Tetragrammaton in place of 'Jehovah'.
>>
>>582434
King James Version is the only version.
All these history hipsters want to read some Bible nobody's ever read before, compiled by contemporary scholars.

King James Version is translated directly from Erasmus' Textus Receptus, which is the complete canon Greek New Testament. The Old Testament is from the Hebrew Old Testament.

I have a release of the King James Bible that is printed the same way as some of the original King James Bibles were, with the original foreword and everything. I's are J's and v's are u's and vice versa. It has the Apocrypha and everything. If you want to read as original as people have had it, only in your language, go with the King James Bible.

The Dead Sea Scrolls are new things and were never in Christian Bibles. Don't trust the Qaraite Jews, don't trust the Saducees.
>>
Note another possible translation for "breasts" could be 'bosom' thus making the passage less scandalous.
>>
>>583013
KJO shill detected.
While the KJ isn't a dishonest translation by any means, it doesn't mean that all of Christendom was using a damnable heretical text until a Catholic Humanist compiled his selection of medieval manuscripts in the 16th century. It also doesn't mean there isn't always room for improvement with the advancements in scholarship and discovery of new texts. If you want to use a translation of a doctored version of the Bible that's fine but that doesn't mean everyone has to gather around your narrow definition of scripture.
>>
I was wondering as well what would be the most accurate translation of the bible, I read it the first time KJV and would like to open my mind to different translations.
Can you guys help and agree on what would be the most accurate? Thank you
>>
>>583107
Go looking at genesis 2:25 and the next verse,3:1. If the edition points out that the Hebrew word for the nakedness of Adam and Eve and the cunning/subtlety of the Serpent is the same word, it's worth looking at. If it's not, it's probably shit.
>>
>>583117
Word, thanks I'll check it out
>>
>>583013
Protestants trashing a good thread as usual
>>
>>583013
>reading the Bible in English

No thanks, now strut off back to your trailer.
>>
>>582957
This sounds interesting. Could anyone provide a second opinion on this version?
>>
>>583014
You know, trying to describe erotic material in a polite way just makes it more erotic.
>>
>>582434
Oxford Scholarly
>>
File: samarpent_lg.jpg (128KB, 940x585px) Image search: [Google]
samarpent_lg.jpg
128KB, 940x585px
>>583107
Sir Lancelot Brenton's seems to be the best translation of the Septuagint

Rotherham's Emphasized Bible and Young's Literal Translation are the probably the best translations and they are both in the public domain.

There's an online project which may shed light on the original thought behind the Hebrew of the Torah http://www.mechanical-translation.org/

There's also a translation of the Samaritan Pentateuch that's been published recently.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Israelite-Samaritan-Version-Torah/dp/0802865194

It's best to read a translation that preserves archaic pro-nouns since the languages of the original texts have the equivalent of these also.
If you have an interest as to the exact meaning of a particular passage your best bet is to use lexicons,dictionaries, and an interlinear bible to decipher it word for word.
>>
Also this site is useful for studying the Peshitta.
http://www.dukhrana.com/peshitta/
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.