[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Greatest Cavalry Forces in History

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: 324-0217_PI_1000025MN.jpg (63KB, 493x693px) Image search: [Google]
324-0217_PI_1000025MN.jpg
63KB, 493x693px
What was the greatest cavalry force in history and why was it the Polish winged hussars?

What other historical cavalry units were particularly skilled, successful or effective?
>>
File: DaKsh1h.jpg (134KB, 823x971px) Image search: [Google]
DaKsh1h.jpg
134KB, 823x971px
Pic not related, I guess?
>>
>>580871
You'd probably had seen this coming, but you didn't inb4
>Subutai's Mongols
>>
finnish hakkapeelita were famously brave and skilled
Naps cuirassiers

but in general skill i would say the knights. one on one they probably best any other unit in history
>>
Swedish Cavalry c1700
Best weapons and tactics of the time. Wedges were practically unstopable.
>>580971
Napoleon's Hussars would be my second choice. The Cuirassiers were a shock troop that did exactly what the Swedes did but with bigger horses and heavier armour. Napoleon's hussars on the other hand were both brilliant horseman and better fighters because they had to fight unlike the Cuirassiers who were just ordered to smash into weak points.
>>
>>580871
1 Guards Tank Army
>>
>>580971
Which order or country?
>>
File: Steppe Feels.jpg (165KB, 1114x659px) Image search: [Google]
Steppe Feels.jpg
165KB, 1114x659px
>>580871
>European """""Cavalry""""""""
Pretty much anyone in the Steppe.
>>
>>580971
>the knights
That's vague.
Roman knights weren't particularly good, they often hired Thracian cavalry even when they were still a republic.
>>
>>581011
Did the Romans even have their own cavalry?

I know there was an equestrian class that could possibly be somewhat equates to European knights of later times, but did they even fight on horseback?

I've never really heard of any cavalry components of roman legions or auxiliaries really. Certainly not in the sense of charging the enemy with spear/lance. But I could be wrong.
>>
>>581120

Did you never found the word Alae?

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_cavalry
>>
>>580871

Genghis' Mongols. The were trained to do it all. They could skirmish, they could go toe to toe, they could fake retreats, they had exceptional discipline.

Basically what your best is, the mongols could do it too but could also exploit your weakness.
>>
>>581156
>0 Guards Tank divisions

suuure
>>
>>581120
Most cavalry that marched with the legions was made up of allied contingents, at least by the time of Marius, probably earlier. Sorry, I wish I had a better idea of when this changed, but Roman Equites were not renowned for their skill, and local allies supplied superior examples.
>>
>>580871
I hate these shitty threads. There was no 'best' type of cavalry. History isnt a fucking video game like total war where they have different stats.
>>
11th ACR
>>
File: image.jpg (149KB, 367x581px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
149KB, 367x581px
The Persians.
>>
>>580871
Numidians
>>
>>581156
>they could go toe to toe
lmao. They were an adequate and organized cavalry force, they were not the best individual soldiers and you see that reflect often. Mongolian success was due to superior tactics, not individual soldiers.
>>
>>580871
French Gendarme are pretty great in just about every time period. Polish Hussars were legendary for their time.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.