[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
/his/, what was the most idiotic thing you...
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 39
File: 200_s.gif (49 KB, 356x200) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
200_s.gif
49 KB, 356x200
/his/, what was the most idiotic thing you ever heard in a /hum/ or /his/ class? Or what was the most idiotic /hum/ or /his/ class you ever took?

>tfw the lecturer harps on for a whole term about why physical anthropology shouldn't be studied except to be criticized because it might be used to justify "scientized racism"
>>
>philosophy class
>Le truth is relative meme

Seriously i fucking hate these people are allowed to teach
>>
>you have Caribbean blood if your veins cross over each-other in your arm

Not on the curriculum, just an off the cuff comment.
>>
>>579455
>non-Anthro humanities bagging on the only empirical-orientated humanity science that approaches with the Scientific Theory
Of course
>>
>>579521
>humanity science
>that approaches with the Scientific Theory
>>
File: 1403160514950.jpg (48 KB, 500x442) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1403160514950.jpg
48 KB, 500x442
>>579455
Any sort of "world history" class

>Cradle of civilization/Egypt (you learn it happened and the pyramids were built [spoiler] by aliens [/spoiler])
>Ancient Greece/Rome (you get told something about myths and gladiators, not necessarily in that order either)
>Medieval Ages (just that there were peasants and the plague at some point)
>the Renaissance (only talk about Florence and the 'Renaissance man')
>Colonialism (Colombus and nothing else)
>Seven Years War (a part of it happened in America and goddamnit we're gonna learn about America and Washington's involvement in one vaguely significant battle)
>American Revolution (spend three weeks talking about taxes, then three more about the three battles that everyone knows from it)
>French Revolution (there's something about Guillotines and if you're lucky they'll tell you Marie Antoinette didn't actually say that stuff about cake)
>Industrial Revolution (something about bad working conditions and cotton)
>WWI (the Germans were being evil so America saved Europe)
>WWII (three more weeks, but only about the holocaust)
>>
>Rousseau getting blamed for the "excesses" of the French Revolution

Every time.
>>
>>579455
>/his/, what was the most idiotic thing you ever heard in a /hum/ or /his/ class?
'androcentrism' and other related bullshit in both a college archaeology and world history class.
> Or what was the most idiotic /hum/ or /his/ class you ever took?
The above aforementioned classes
>tfw no age of war
why not commit seppuku
>>
That tutsi people were the offspring of 'Belgiums" intermarrying hutu locals, and this resentment towards whites and colonial authority led to the Rwandan genocide.
>>
File: DIKMegM.jpg (32 KB, 445x656) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
DIKMegM.jpg
32 KB, 445x656
>>579455
Went to middle school in a Hicksville in southern Maryland . 8th grade middle school teacher was a middle aged blonde mother who said all of the following at some point throughout the year ....
> Germans would have sent anyone here without blond-hair and blue eyes to concentration camps
>( on a test) Ottoman empire ended when the Vandals sacked Constantinople.
>Iranians all have ankle/foot fetishes because everything else is covered.
>Russian women are all fat and unattractive because it is cold and need to drink to stay warm
>Imperialism was stupid because Africans were made to wear European style suits in the heat
and the one that made me reeee the most
> people were stupid during ww1 because they took turns charging at each others trenches out of honor
>>
>>579455
>/his/, what was the most idiotic thing you ever heard in a /hum/ or /his/ class?
Almost anything said by an undergraduate.

God we hate you little shits.
>>
>>579521
Shut the fuck up faggot. History major, here. All you are is our whiny little brother with dreadlocks who does way too many fucking drugs.
>>
File: 1450830035051.jpg (186 KB, 319x776) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1450830035051.jpg
186 KB, 319x776
>>579943
>Iranians all have ankle/foot fetishes because everything else is covered.
>Russian women are all fat and unattractive because it is cold and need to drink to stay warm

This is hilarious.
>>
File: 1328237845381.jpg (121 KB, 429x410) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1328237845381.jpg
121 KB, 429x410
>>579455
Probably that Christianity accepted homosexuality until the 13th century according to my Introduction to Anthropology professor.
>>
>>579615
Fucking,
This.

Seriously fuck public school. Its antieducation.
>>
>>579943
>> people were stupid during ww1 because they took turns charging at each others trenches out of honor

Thats not completely untrue.
There wasn't much difference in the mentality of a French ww1 soldier and a Japanese ww2
They'd both walk into machine guns and other dumb shit for national honor
>>
>>579986
they wouldn't walk into machine guns
they would advance, shoot, take cover, have one element provide covering fire and the other advance
also "defending your country against an invasion" seems good enough reason to fight, even if you try to portray it as "dumb shit for national honor"
>>
>>580060
Those are valid points.
>>
>International relations class
>during a tangential topic, teacher explains that that most money is created as a result of inter-bank operations as opposed to "printing money"

Kid in the back row interrupts him: IS THIS SOME KIND OF JOKE!?

I fucking hate millenials
>>
>19th century class, imperialism
>Africa was peaceful and had a rich culture before the europeans came
>>
>>580087

My intro class had a guy who kept talking about why everyone in the class should invest in gold to "subvert the international system" even during unrelated lectures - even when we were talking about international political economy it was a huuuuge stretch
>>
>>580095

Vibrant culture, yes
Peaceful? Depends on where you were at any given time
>>
File: doH8i.jpg (331 KB, 5000x5000) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
doH8i.jpg
331 KB, 5000x5000
>>579455
>If the Ontological argument says that god as the most perfect thing is real, wouldn't that also mean that Allah is real?

Right, it's not as if Allah is just a foreign word for not only the same concept but literally the same entity as the Judeo-Christian god.

Ah, why are the smuggest people also the stupidest?
>>
>the mongols brought horses to europe
>mongols brought horses to europe
>brought horses to europe

thanks 9th grade history teacher
>>
>>579455
Girl in my humanities class said that no culture has ever been inherently better than another. I brought up the aztecs as an example of a fucked up evil culture, and she told me they only seem evil because I was indoctrinated with western values.
>>
File: 1448289100036.jpg (118 KB, 384x720) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1448289100036.jpg
118 KB, 384x720
>teacher asked where people's families were from
>get to Europe, split into Northern Europe and Southern Europe
>"Southern Europe are countries like France and Northern Europe are countries like Poland"
>>
>>580141
And she was right. Unless you can demonstrate that God exists.
>>
>>580147
lang d'oc
>>
>>580141
Sounds like you're mad because you got rekt.
>>
>>580141
You may not have noticed, but you've stumbled into /his/ where we actually believe in cultural relativism. A lot different from the rest of 4chan, I know.
>>
>>580197
>we actually believe in cultural relativism
Speak for yourself.
>>
File: 1452484213542.png (180 KB, 480x640) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1452484213542.png
180 KB, 480x640
>>580197
Excuse me but Islam is scourge upon this world that needs to be completely eradicated. Right after the Communists.
>>
>>580197
I don't believe in cultural relativism, but moral relativism is a no brainer.
>>
File: tips fedora.png (69 KB, 915x711) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
tips fedora.png
69 KB, 915x711
>>580141
>I brought up the aztecs as an example of a fucked up evil culture
>>
>>579986
what rustled my jimmies is her calling them stupid rather than realizing it was the most effective form of warfare given the technology available
>>
File: rage intensifies.gif (239 KB, 250x203) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
rage intensifies.gif
239 KB, 250x203
>>579455
>AP European History class in HS
>Talking about age of Napoleon and how he helped bring rise to German Nationalism
>"Mr. Teacher, since Napoleon started German Nationalism, he therefore started WWI and WWII"
>mfw he was 100% serious
>>
>>579455
I consider myself a feminist, but this one women's studies course I TA'd...

"There is no proof that being obese is bad for your health"
>>
>>579615
I have suspected a large majority of this board is American.
>>
>>580374
Shit, if we're posting dumb things other students have said, I've got a million.

>standard undergraduate course on Victorian Britain
>discussing the popularization of eugenics theories after the conception of evolutionary biology
>girl next to me puts up her hand
>"Since this is what Hitler and the Nazis believed, isn't that kinda proof that evolution is wrong?"
>TA changes the subject so fucking fast that I feel they actually earned their pay for the first time that semester
>>
>>579615
I must have gotten lucky with public school then
>tfw my teacher literally talked about America's revolution for 10 mins and that's it
>tfw the holocaust was explained as "the holocaust happened during ww2, you know the rest"
>talk about every genocide past 1900 (exception was Natives) besides Holocaust
>talk more about east front and pacific surprisingly a lot
>spent a fuckton amount of time on corn and rice meme in latin america and asia
>portugal masterrace period
>teacher researched weapons + armour from crusades to rome to 1900 and crafted them as well
She brought a sword to class a few times, occasionaly shields and helmets
>constantinople meme is fucking glorious, spent weeks on that
>muh mongols
>French rev spends like 4 weeks, talk about build up and extent into Napoleon
>ww1 was not the Germany meme
>renaissance was art and idea changes, mucho discussion
Kinda all over the place
I should've paid more attention in that class
>>
>>580494
I think I'm in love
>>
>>
>>580805

is this shopped?
it must be shopped...

what is this?
>>
>>580805
>can and often has impact practice
>words have meaning

Wow. Illiteracy and structuralism.
>>
>>580837
Apart from the structuralism it looks like a very trite bourgeois account of imperialism.
>>
>>580805

>theory can impact practice
>>
>>580840

what ''science'' is it refering to tho?
>>
>>580844
Probably "science" as a social ideal.
>>
>>580837
>what is this?

indigenous studies at univ. of oklahoma
>>
>>580844
>>580851
"Science" is a 19th century reductivist european attitude towards knowledge which was transformed in the 20th century to a tool of the state.

It isn't very controversial, until you start observing that "critical social science" is also a "science."
>>
>>580856
Honestly I'd be looking for more unless this is first semester first year.
>>
>dumbest thing I've ever heard a teacher say
Had a professor in college who was a Young-Earth Creationist and believed that dinosaurs existed 4000 years ago.

>dumbest thing I ever heard a student say
A guy once asked if the American Civil War was "the one where we fought Hitler". Again, this was in college.
>>
File: gasoline.jpg (100 KB, 1024x866) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
gasoline.jpg
100 KB, 1024x866
>>579455
>when I look at the scenery, I am moved, science can't explain this, therefor god.
by a professor of philosophy no less.
>>
>>579506
Truth is relative.
>>
Every literature class where some chad didn't fucking get what a work was trying to express and then he acts all fucking smug because HURR WE ARE ALL ALLOWED TO INTERPRET IT DIFFERENTLY or the counter HURR THAT'S NOT WHAT WAS DIRECTLY SAID SO WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST SAY IT.

FUCK YOU CHAD, I FUCKING HATE YOU.
>>
>american education
and I thought my country's education was fucked up
>>
>>580972
>gas hole
>>
>>579615
I love how only one comments how a "world history class "teaches only Indo-European history .
Anyway I wish I had who ever taught >>580494
all we talked of was the same thing + More Indo-European,( Minoans, Phoenicians) Byzantine Empire, more on Greek city states
>>
>>579639
this

>muh general will is authoritarian
>>
>the USSR was a Communist country
>being religious was punishable in the USSR
>street cleaners were literally paid the same as doctors because of equality
from psych class...
>the highest suicide rate in the world is in Nordic countries, and it's because it's cold and people literally live miles away from each other and are lonely

They ate it up. Those retards actually believed all these things.
>>
>>579943
this women needs to meet Madame Guillotine
>>
>>580197
speak for yourself, human sacrificial apologist.

i spent years living in china. cultural relativism is utter horseshit.
>>
>>580141
>I brought up the aztecs as an example of a fucked up evil culture
>>
>>579455

>privilege

in the post-modern sense
>>
>>580973

Is that relatively true?

Or can I just say "no, because my feels".
>>
>>579955
And you all couldn't make the grade for law.
>>
>>579615
Sounds like my history education, and I'm Swedish. Just throw in some vikings and it's the same.
>>
>>581657
That's relative
>>
>>580197
>into /his/ where we actually believe in cultural relativism

stop projecting your stupid
>>
>>580416
>I consider myself a feminist
>women's studies

you fucked up

I took a 300 level women's studies course on religion cause one those indoctrination courses are required and I no longer have any respect for anyone who buys into this shit

It was piss easy, I got literally perfect grades on all the exams except one without studying or even glancing at the book.

>I TA'd

I sincerely hope you are not male.
>>
>>580494
>literally talked about America's revolution for 10 mins
>must have gotten lucky

lol you know that shit's important, right?

>French rev spends like 4 weeks

guess the inspiration.
>>
>>580197
>we actually believe in cultural relativism
>we
hello reddit
>>
File: 1779.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1779.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>>581685
>cause one those indoctrination courses are required

I don't get how this is legal.
>>
>>581669

Is that?
>>
>>581691
Because it's 2016 shitlord
>>
>>580416

Depends what you mean, really. The approved BMI correlates with shorter lifespans than BMIs slightly further towards 'obese'. There's a dropping-off point, obviously, but what's touted as the most desirable BMI is quite possibly bad for your health.
>>
>>579455
So many things from the 90% of my uni professors who were ardent evangelists of poststructuralist "thought".

Wouldn't even know where to begin a list of inane things I heard incessantly, both in Britain and the US.
>>
>>581633
>i spent years living in china
Read
>i spent years in my room living in china because i was too scared to go outside and too lazy to attempt to learn the language, so as a angry little white boy i have the authority to say this one culture is objectively worse than mine
>>
>>581705
>The approved BMI correlates with shorter lifespans than BMIs slightly further towards 'obese'.

consider the possibility that more men naturally fall closer to the "ideal" BMI, thus lowering the average life expectancy associated with the value

also the chance that the ideal value differs by sex, given the proclivity of androgens to cut body fat
>>
>>581705
BMI is a pretty shit measure of healthy weight, no one reasonable would take it seriously. Obesity is bad for your health.
>>
File: file.png (334 KB, 750x399) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
file.png
334 KB, 750x399
>>581715
project much?
>>
>>581715
>>>/leftypol/
>>>/tumblr/
>>>/srs/
Are we being raided. I've seen tons of people all over the board using this same kind of language and improper 4chan terminology (calling the boards forums). I'm not even a /pol/ack but this is starting to get annoying. I want to talk history not politics. If you guys hate 4chan so much, go back to your own website. Leave us alone.
>>
>>581722
>consider the possibility that more men naturally fall closer to the "ideal" BMI

Consider the possibility that this possibility is so obvious that it's unlikely not to have been eliminated in any study of the issue.

>>581726
>Obesity is bad for your health.

Yeah, the issue is defining 'obesity'. We can be a bit useless about it and say it's the ratio of fat to muscle mass past which your life expectancy begins to drop. Or we can stick some line in the sand and say "Everyone fatter than this is obese". The BMI model seems to have gone with the latter and it doesn't seem to be all that helpful, is all I'm saying.
>>
>>581715

you're new here, aren't you?
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 413x413) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 413x413
>>581715
>>
>>581715
wonderful bait
>>
test
>>
>>580334
I disagree. It was stupid not to revise tactical doctrines after the Russo-Japanese war.
>>
File: Brazil_flag-2.jpg (684 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Brazil_flag-2.jpg
684 KB, 1920x1080
>>579455
>high school
>Battle of Campo Grande
>Teacher: "López was a hero while the brazilian were cowards for seting fire to troops of kids serving Paraguais's army"
>Me: "uh, teacher... i'm pretty sure that battle didn't even had to happen if López had accepted defeat like the rest of his country already did long before the battle..."
>Teacher: "yes, but he stood for what he believed in, Brazil just went on and made a massacre of kids!"
>Me: "oook but... why was López using kids in the first place?"]
>Teacher: "all adult soldiers were dead, he had no coice but to use the kids and elders left"
>Me: "wait... so he send some kids and elders to battle a massive army and he's the hero?"
>Teacher: "yes! enough already! they fought agains an army that was willing to kill kids by setting fire the woods and burning them alive! there are rules in war, you can do that!"
>years later have acess to google
>turns out the brazilian army didn't even started the fire, the kids did it to hide their numbers with smoke, after the battle the fire spreaded to some ammunitions, causing a much greater fire which ended up burning everyone who didn't surrendered.
>Lópes had fleed the place days before knowing of the attack.
>>
One of my history classes actually taught Germinal (Emille Zola), a fictional novel, as a primary source! I'm not a history major, but even by the definition that the class gave, there's no way a novel can be considered a primary source even if it's the result of Zola's direct observation of a mining community.

At best, the notes he took to write the thing could be considered primary. The fact that the TA insisted that it has to be considered a primary after multiple conversations really bithers me, but I should probably have tried to talk with the professor about this.
>>
>>579615
Hahahaha, this is what American public education is like? Those from your country that could still think must be really exceptional if this is what they have shoved into their brain in school.
>>
literal nigger in my class kept bitching about how white men destroyed society and that we should be living in huts and living off the land like hunter gatherers the way nature wanted us to. No one wanted to call him out on his dumb bullshit because he was so indignantly niggerish about it all
>>
>>581728
A few days before /his/ was created someone posted one of those "/lit/ guide to Greek literature/memes/John Green" things on Imgur and it spread from there. Then Glorious Emperor created /his/.

So no, it's not a raid, more like a migrant crisis.
>>
>>581966
Pretty much anything taught in schools (and even universities sometimes) about Paraguay's War is marxist propaganda from the 60s.
There's new historiography but teachers don't use it because it doesn't say England is the culprit and Paraguay was an industrial juggernaut and so on
>>
>>581993

Why do foreigners always think American public education is centralized? There are millions of school districts in the United States, and each one is very different from the other. So are state requirements.
>>
>>580976
This isn't just a chad thing, but pretty common in how literature is taught nowadays, which really rustle my jimmies. It is more annoying when some smug chadshit do it though because they clearly don't care about it one way or another.
>>
That Columbus was a bad person.

He fucking brought civilization to those backward fuckers. Fuck all this agenda shit against whites.
>>
>"IQ tests don't matter for tribal peoples because they're smart in other ways like making tools :)"

also
>>
>>582022
Okay, cool, an honest response.

But see, that's what the SAT you guys keep mentioning is for, isnt it? To make sure the most crucial knowledge is taught in compulsory education at some point? To separate the illiterates from the rest of the properly educated people? Otherwise, what's the point of a national standardized test?

About the SATs, I only know that the English/Language test is a little silly and elitist since it focus way too much on "advanced" vocabulary; some of the words aren't even that hard (just precise and specific) while other words are unnecessarily obscure and snobbish.
>>
>>582062
The sentiment for that statement isn't wrong, even if the example is.

A small tribe living a subsistence lifestyle in a jungle doesn't have any need for literature, historiography or philosophy. Knowing how to catch an animal, or what fruit to eat, or oral storytelling aren't really fields in an IQ test.
>>
>>582055
No he didn't you retard.
>>
>>582062
But this is true
>>
>Augustine was black!
>>
>>582084

The SATs and ACTs are administered and developed by a privately owned corporation/contractor, though they do hire ex-teachers and Education PhDs to edit and design it. The idea is for students to have a base level of math and reading knowledge before entering college or university. Some of its contents are open to criticism, like the writing prompts built around the formula "write a persuasive essay on a controversial subject you might have no previous background in or frame of reference for".

In theory, though, it's supposed to be like a more elevated version of the school entrance exams issued to students in other countries.
>>
I heard my his teacher say the Romans were famous or something for their use of the phalanx or hoplite
>>
>>580141
Bruh, fuck the aztecs. Bring up north korea. Police state tht struggles to exist under a fucked dictator. Doesnt make the people evil, makes the culture and society fucked. I guess same could be said bout the aztecs.
>>
>>580805
These are true though.

t. fascist
>>
>>582164

>tfw once saw a flier for a student activist lecture that promised to talk about how N. Korea is a good, okay place that people only think is bad because of "the media"
>>
>>580805

There's some accurate stuff there mixed in with some bullshit
>>
>>582213
They were either just being contraian or were north korean.
>>
>>582164
The Aztecs didn't even practice human sacrifice and cannibalism as much as is supposed. Archaeological evidence suggests that it wasn't much and that the Spanish exaggerated for obvious reasons. Many other civilizations practiced the two and some uncivilized peoples.

Not to say that those two things are okay or that some cultures aren't better than others at least in certain aspects
>>
>>582316
Some chinese people eat babies. There are shitters in every society. They dont represent the whole society. That would be like if we said all americans are jeffrey dahmer
>>
>>582316
>The Aztecs didn't even practice human sacrifice and cannibalism as much as is supposed
Their state was in perpetual warfare to fuel the blood sacrifices they considered necessary to avert the end of the world.
>>
>>581685
I am but I wasn't in women's studies. They cherry pick TA's from other departments to teach the intro courses because you don't actually have to know anything, and there are not many women's studies grad students
>>
>>581733
This is the subtle truth which the course did not seem to accept. The prof wished to dismiss any claim that even being 600lbs+ and unable to get up from your couch increases mortality.
>>
>>582013
But they've been more annoying than usual.
>>
>>581733
The latter is standard because people are retarded and because of popular media and aggressive ad campaigns
>>
>>582121
>private institution
>just math and reading
>application of modern rhetorics

Thanks for the explanation, I never knew this is what it's like. What a joke! This sounds like something from the 50s! If this this the most popular and widespread highschool exit/college entrance exam, no wonder primary education is so broken and uneven in the US! Why is this still a topic of discussion then and not a huge problem that should and can be fixed ASAP? It's just not possible to have things like an even educational playing field, high average level of education or even intelligile constructive discussions in society without a standardized curriculum. Even an extremely basic one that touches as few of the sensitive issues as possible is going to be leagues better.
>>
>>582432
I graduated simply by floating by and doing the bare minimum. Went to a decent uni too despite having a 2.5 gpa in high school. That being said now i work a minimum wage job and have a 60k student loan to pay off.
>>
>>581977

Novels can be primary sources, in the sense that they are artifacts of the time that are written. But t sounds like you were expected to treat Germinale as a secondary source while calling it a primary source, which is doubly stupid.
>>
>>582367
their state was in perpetual warfare in order to increase the tribute that was their main source of income, shithead
>>
>>579943
she was right on the last point though
>>
>>580973
How can you say it's relative when you're saying that it's relative?
You're saying something absolute, then you're saying that it's not.
>>
>>582470

Handy victim, though, innit? Pay me tribute or I will desecrate your lands and cut out the hearts of your children atop my grand pyramid.
>>
File: 1446373446061.gif (414 KB, 480x270) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1446373446061.gif
414 KB, 480x270
>>580805
>Words have meaning
YES THEY FUCKING DO!!!!!!!!
>>
>>579506
>implying you're not a failure of a philosophy student

Define "truth".
>>
>>581657
>>582480
you /his/trionics are the easiest to bait
>>
>>580197
>we
>let me use my own opinion as fact for everyone else's opinion on this board
classic /his/
>>
>>580805
What's with this whole "everything is a social construct"?

Just because it's a social construct doesn't negate its importance.
>>
>>582528

It's a political manoeuvre to undermine the authority of scientific inquiry, because some of the findings of science MIGHT present evidence that contradicts SOME of the theoretical claims of the post-colonialist, feminist, anti-racist, et al camps. And that just won't do, because ideolo--er, theory--is ever so much more precious and emancipatory than empirical evidence.
>>
>>582432

If you're familiar with American history, you might know that there were loud competing voices from the United States' inception over whether decentralization of authority was preferable to centralization, and nowhere is this debate clearer in the present than discussions on education, and to be frank there are pretty good arguments against centralizing education (to be fair and neutral both centralization and decentralization are subject to different forms of abuse). For context, read The Federalist Papers and the Anti-Federalist Papers back to back. These are two of the most important documents in history.
>>
>>581663
>doing the most dishonorable profession imaginable just because it pays more
get the fuvk off my board goldbergstein you faggot vampire
>>
>>581733
If you get stretch marks from fat you are obese.
That seems like a good indicator
>>
>>582667

People resent lawyers because they're smart enough to take on decisive jobs. Popular resentment of lawyers is just anti-intellectualism wearing the coat of moral indignation.
>>
>>582692
>anyone that dislikes Americas shit judiciary system is an anti-intellectual
Who are you, Obamas daughter? No one actually believes this
>>
>>580805
Lost me at science is a "social construct" as if to dismiss it. Wtf and discovery is cause MUH COLONIALISM. How is this bs being taught?
>>
>>581617


you dumbass, the first two and the last thing you said are actually correct
>>
>>579455
"The Nile helped prevent invasions of Egypt thanks to its cataracts".

Not as dumb as some of the things in this thread, but it was pretty fucking stupid to hear from a college history professor in a class on ancient history.

Few things.

1) For most of Egypt's history, the only viable way to invade a place was overland, not via sea travel. Egypt's defense was the fact that it was surrounded by a bloody giant desert, not a few white-water rapids.

2) Even having decided on a sea invasion, your first priority would be securing a port city from which to then base further land invasions, not to sail up and down the Nile like some kind of Vikings. You're invading, not raiding.

3) Virtually all of ancient Egypt's cities were located well before the first cataract, which is located practically in modern Sudan (just south of the modern city of Aswan).

4) The only peoples for whom the cataracts would have been an obstacle, the Kushites and the Nubians, were landlocked nations who would have invaded overland and simply used the Nile as a gigantic supply of fresh water to keep their troops moving. Far from preventing invasion, the Nile enables it.

5) Historically speaking, Egypt is VERY easy to conquer if you get past the desert. In no particular order, The Sea Peoples, the Hyksos, the Nubians, the Kushites, the Libyans, the Greeks, the Persians, the Babylonians, the Medes, the Romans, and the Arabs all at one point or another invaded and occupied ancient Egypt, often for decades or even centuries at a time. Egypt was historically only able to maintain its independence when it could project power well *away* from the Nile, into the Levant and Near East.

I pointed all this out to my history professor, and he got offended and stuck to his idea that the cataracts of the Nile defended Egypt.

I did not like that history class.
>>
>>581617
1, 2, and 4 are actually correct. 3 isn't, but it IS true that medical doctors in the USSR got shit payment.
>>
>>581617
>>being religious was punishable in the USSR
If word got out it could damage your career prospects. Soviet regime didn't care much about discrimination.
>>
>>581966
>>582018
Give us reparations pls.
t. Paraguayan
>>
>>579455
My teacher unironically told the class that Scipio Africanus was a black african.
>>
>>582852
>>582791

The case of the USSR is more complex than may at first appear. Firstly, there are leftist critiques of its attempt to implement Marxist principles, which I guess you can take or leave. But then even with utterly standard Marxist theory, the actual condition "Communism" is a stateless society, which the USSR certainly wasn't - hence you had I believe Brezhnev in the early '60s delivering a speech promising "Communism within twenty years" etc.

tl;dr there are definitions by which the USSR was not "Communist". How much this applies to what the other guy was complaining about, I don't know.
>>
>>579455
>A handful of pepper was worth a life worth of wages of a normal craftsman.

Heard it in elementary school and high school
>>
>>582479

Only for like the first month of the war or so.

Maybe the first two weeks even, but by the first battle of the marne that was no longer the case.

You don't take casualties like the battle of the frontiers and not do something different.
>>
File: 1453316642064.png (376 KB, 638x469) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1453316642064.png
376 KB, 638x469
>>580976
>>582048
Deal with it nerds
>>
>>582367
And thanks to you cumskins the world is going to end :(
>>
File: 1445903553733.jpg (11 KB, 261x193) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1445903553733.jpg
11 KB, 261x193
>The Civil War had nothing to do with slavery because our current president is black
>>
>>579455
Poor native indians did not stand a chance against Cortez's musketeers that just blew all Aztecs down in neverending gun fire.
>>
>>583032
Lol wut??
>>
>>579615
This

Public school history is fucking gay
>>
>>583062
bitch also made an offhanded comment that going to war was the logical solution to overpopulation.
>>
>>583063
Yup
> in high school
>WWII unit
>Hyped as fuck
> get to the discussion of dropping nukes on japan
> one girl says it was evil and the japanese did nothing wrong
> i actually laugh out loud
> everyone stares at me thinking wtf?
> i say don't any of you know the rape of nanking and other japanese war crimes and atrocities?
> more blank stares
> teacher says anon is right you know
> still confused looks

God i hate the public education system
>>
>>583088
Did she also believe in jeebus being the one true king and that the south will rise again?
>>
>>582465
I think it's worse than you're imagining, actually. There wasn't much wrong with how types of sources are defined in that class. The thing with the novel Germinal is that the class wanted us to use its novel's content, which is fictional, as evidence and account of what went on in real French mining comunities like we would with any non-fictional account.

It was usually when the professor or TA would say something like, "you can see that (real) miners back then really had a hard life because this here (fictional) mining family from the novel had to make soup with left over bread crumbs!" My autism would spike and failing restrain myself, I'd remind the class that the novel itself can't serve as evidence for how things were like because it's fictional, that at best it could be an illustration. But then the instructor would just say something placating or change the subject to something else. It's completely insane!
>>
>>582512
This too is a relativistic observation, for who can say who is baiting whom?
>>
>>583096
Probably, but I never really wanted to talk to her. She was in another one of my classes senior year of high school and alongside another girl made that class a living hell
>American Gov. and Pol
>Hippie teacher would play comedy central clips in class citing that they were more factual than news shows
>This bitch would hold up the class with her general ignorance of any and all subjects, even basic geography and the geopolitical landscape
>She was unable to point out China on a map, and supported the use of nuclear weapons against anyone who even slighted the US in her mind
>Another bitch would chat on about off-topic shit and the teacher never stopped it
>Including a story about how she purposely pissed herself in a car, or how her brother didn't like all the niggers and jews at his college
>She was herself black and there were Jews in the class
>Somehow they both passed the exam
The only good thing was the hippie teacher was sarcastic as fuck and made fun of them without their knowing. I just read the textbook and made faces at the only other normal person in the room the whole year.
>>
File: image.jpg (246 KB, 1275x1000) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
246 KB, 1275x1000
>>579455
That the New Deal ended the Great Depression
>>
>>583090
I ran into the same problem, but at least being in the history club of a fancy-pants public charter school took the worst out of it. Real discussion could actually take place.
That still didn't prevent the literal social justice Marxists from sweeping in senior year, voting themselves into office and ruining the great upperclassman-underclassmen relationship that was going on. I was meant to be club president.
>>
>>582565
Thanks for the suggestion. The anti-federalist papers sounds interesting.
>>
File: 3be.jpg (8 KB, 250x193) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
3be.jpg
8 KB, 250x193
>>582791
>>582852
>>582936

1. the USSR was a socialist country, nobody, LITERALLY nobody called it a Communist country besides for the purpose of propaganda/national pride
2. being religious was never punishable

t. ex-Soviet man

As for suicide rates it isn't fucking true you retards. Any study would show it otherwise. A quick look in Wikipedia would prove you fucking wrong. The reasons for suicide range greatly, but it isn't due to fucking weather. And it's fact that poorer countries have both relatively and absolutely higher suicide rates. There are very few developed countries up there with the rest, and their reasons don't boil down to the temperature.
>>
>>583032
>>583062
Seconding this, wat.

Please elaborate.
>>
>>583196
>suicide rates
not suicide rates, number of suicides.*

Damn
>>
>>582213
>Implying the media doesn't exaggerate how bad north korea is
>>
>>583196
>2. being religious was never punishable
Just like the USSR not being anti-semetic, right?

The fact that they didn't explicitly formalise it in public doesn't change the fact that being a priest, or trying to keep a church open was a good way of getting dispeared, harrased, or legally blocked with every trick in the book.
>>
>>583185
That sucks

>>583172
I know dem feels bro had stupid bitches in highschool make the stupidest remarks ever in history class glad they are single parents now or dead from drinking and driving incidents
>>
Arthur,

Sorry for shitting up the Soc. of IR. class but I wasn't well in the head. For a sociology teacher, she was surprisingly vengeful and a bit of a cunt. No wonder she was teaching a first rate department in a third rate uni.

All the best,
someone who got a higher mark than all of you.
>>
>>583225
True, but the way people describe it, or actually think that the KGB would come to your home because you're wearing a cross is bs. Socially you would be shunned in most cases and the law wouldn't be on your side. And evangelism would definitely land you a spot in a VIP ultra-lux gulag, but actually being religious, and expressing it publicly while not advocating, wouldn't get you arrested. Not to mention in the rural areas you'd still have local small churches standing around.

A good example for people falling to this meme is how my history teacher actually thought Stalin repressed religion while he actually tried to revive it (for the sake of national and war morale, but still).
>>
>>581617
>the highest suicide rate in the world is in Nordic countries, and it's because it's cold and people literally live miles away from each other and are lonely
The suicide rate in Sweden is (or at least was at least 5 years ago) indeed high, but it is also very hard to buy significant amount of vodka there, especially after 10 pm, and there is like just one shop per big city where you can buy alcohol in copious amounts.
Coincidence? I think not.
>>
File: 1446011066696.jpg (357 KB, 775x502) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1446011066696.jpg
357 KB, 775x502
>>583209
>In debate for history class during Bamer's first term
>Was the Civil War primarily about slavery, or were concerns over states rights and the economy more prominent?
>Teach splits us up into two groups regardless of opinion, I'm in the "It was Slavery" group with one of my mates
>We pretty much take co-leadership of our group and assign others for research and rebuttals
>Direct the fury of some SJW girls we had, a lot of passion in the group
>When it come to debate we find out the other side barely prepared arguments and were just going to wing it
>This bitch is their figurehead of all people
>We clean up shop on every point
>She makes an ignorant asshole of herself in front of the whole class for a good three class periods
>I forget most of her arguments, but eventually she said that line
>Teacher ends the debate almost immediately after, having awarded all possible points to our team
>Clearly wanted to illustrate a point about the complexity of the issue in a well-balanced debate but the plan was fucked up by this bitch
>Me and my mate did the least work possible and got the highest grade
>mfw public school system
>>
>>582935
American education
>t. Albertus Ahenobarbus
>>
>>580197
get out
pic related
>>
>>583254
>knows nothing
>makes up for it with enthusiasm and zealotry
>wings debates

How did this kind of behaviour become so common? How little reprove must they have received to think it is okay to behave this way?
>>
>>583254
I wish we'd had debates like that in high school. That sounds like a lot of fun, even if the other side didn't do their homework.
>>
Any left winger claiming there are no differences between race and/or gender.
>>
>>583302
All I see is a different aesthetic.
>>
File: warisover.jpg (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
warisover.jpg
15 KB, 300x300
>had to read, amongst other things, a chapter about how rape has been used as a weapon of war especially in Ethnic conflict
>book explores the psychology of ethnic hatred and rape using psychoanalysis
>random girl pauses the discussion were having
>"I feel this book is very problematic, I feel like the author should pay more attention to the subjective trauma felt by rape victims and attempt to be more sensitive about the topic".
>face palm
>about to give up all hope
>tutor chimes in "well actually this book was written by a rape victim from Liberia, I'm afraid she is concerned with creating a very factual and direct discourse on the topic
>faith in education somewhat restored
>>
>>583302
Just because something is a social construct, such as gender or race, doesn't mean it wont affect the way people behave.
>>
>>583302
So you are okay with a right winger claiming it?

That's discrimination bro.
>>
>>583306
...

>>583335
Race and gender aren't solely social constructs; they do have a foundation in biology too.
>>
>>583306
The one on the bottom needs to be repaired with fresh mud whenever it rains.
>>
>>580141
Please\, define "better" as it applies to the abstract concept of culture.
>>
>>580211
Don't forget the christfags.

And dumbass libertarians.

And anyone who thinks capitalism is ethical.
>>
>>583350
Any source on humans being subdivided by race?
>>
>>583327
>>"I feel this book is very problematic
I puked a little bit
>>
>>580805
In my school we were taught that colonies were mostly just a symptom of mercantilism and served as a way for empires to generate profit without ever importing goods from other powers. It was a short, not overarching assessment but I still feel lucky we didn't get fed some weird liberal spiel like this crazy bullshit.
>>
>>583367
>And anyone who thinks capitalism is ethical.

Is having self-interest ethical?
>>
>>583306
One on the top is 86 meters high at its highest point

One on the bottom is... 16 meters at its highest point
>inb4 dem white bois wuz compensatin fo dey small pee-pees
>>
>>583403
Either way, self-interest is class interest.
>>
>>582013
I don't mind it. This board has better discussion (for now) because the leftists are counterbalancing the /pol/acks so it's not just random shitposting about niggers or whatever. Plus it definitely makes things less one-sided.
>>
>>583378
https://lesacreduprintemps19.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/woodley-2009-is-homo-sapiens-polytypic-human-taxonomic-diversity-and-its-implications.pdf
>>
>>583428
and?
>>
>>583433
Yea I like the mix tbqh

It doesn't get too "lol phuc niggers xD"
but it also doesn't get too "the thick, sturdy black penis is in every way superior to the white one ;)))"
>>
>>583433
>(for now)
This has been in the back of my mind since I found this board as well. I really don't want to think that this board may also become a lazy cesspool one day.
>>
>>583433
Yup not quite pol not quite tumblr

A nice medium
>>
>>583096
>dumb Chrastcheens xDDD!!!11!!!1!1
>>
File: snake8.gif (985 KB, 500x281) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
snake8.gif
985 KB, 500x281
>>579506
>he hasn't played MGS2
>>
File: 1444796615998.jpg (123 KB, 950x534) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1444796615998.jpg
123 KB, 950x534
>>582055
>Sail straight west to find India, even though a route by sea already fucking exists and the circumference of the Earth (which is already known) would make the distance entirely impractical to navigate

>Run into an island filled with brown people

>"lol i guess these are injuns"

>Go back to Europe, tell everyone you found India

>"No you didn't dumbass, we've already met Indians, these guys are nothing like them"

>"SHUT UP IT'S TOTALLY INDIA ITS A MATTER OF OPINION HURR"

>Spend rest of life ranting about how you discovered a western route to India and sexually abusing natives

>Literally believes he went to India till the day he dies

Yeah, what a hero
>>
>>582432
It didn't used to be this retarded. See when more government policy started flowing into education. There's so many stupid rules, so many quota bullshit, so much regulation on education that you *should* follow if you want to get funding. On top of that you have the push for everyone to attend a university, which has only led to increased tuition, lower quality curriculum and a bunch of people who don't belong in a university who drop out or flunk out or get a degree in something absurd so they can never look at it again so they can get an entry level desk job.

I wish the government would fuck off out of education.
>>
>>579615
>tfw AP World History
Essay Writing 101
>>
>>581666

Did you go to a particularly shitty school or something

I say because it doesn't sound a lot like my history education and I'm swedish
>>
"The ancient Greeks invented rationalism"
and a whole lecture on why I shouldn't judge the Greeks even though they had homosexual and in fact should appreciate how beautiful they sculpt dicks and the human body that connected to them.
>>
>>583090
>Sperg out over random bullshit in the middle of class and get embarassed

Yeah, it's all public education's fault.
>>
>>579455
In eighth grade we read the diary of anne frank in english so we briefly learned about WWII and we had a test on it. One of the questions was roughly as follows
"Which of these Countries was a part of the Allies during WW2- A) Germany B)France C) Japan or D) Russia [Soviet Union]"
I asked the teacher what to put because both France and the USSR were a par tof the allies, but he reminded me we had not learned about the Soviet involvement in the war, and so far as the class was concerned the right answer would be france, because he had already taught us that. I selected "Russia" got the question wrong, tried complaining but nobody gave a shit because I got every other question right. I didnt care about the points but it was the moral of the whole thing. I still get upset by it today
>>
>>583464
Most fundies dont know shit about history and believe jeebus was american some do know their shit they are usually the minority
>>
File: A1.jpg (1 MB, 2560x2037) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
A1.jpg
1 MB, 2560x2037
>>583504
All of that is true.
>>
>>583302
The bottom one was built by the french, retards.
>>
>>583507
I didnt feel embarrassed at all just marveled at the ignorance of my classmates and how little fucks people give about history and the ways things are and came to be teacher actually made me teach the class about nanking and the sino japanese war was fun and the teacher was pretty based
>>
>>583403
Having self-interest is rational. The actual system of capitalism depends on inequality and therefore institutionalizes discrimination. There is no moral/ethical defense for it, but its existence is rational.

Capitalists aren't bad. Capitalism is.
>>
>>583522
That's totally wrong, you've been consuming a lot of propaganda desu. I've watched lectures on Alexander the Great and Rome given by evangelical Christian pastors and they are pretty accurate and thorough.

>they think Jeebus was American
None of them think this.
>>
>>583470
I had no idea the content of education as a subject is so taboo that it contributed to overt focus on methodology and quota in the US! You mean to say that political involvement and state intervention in education has only been about "how" it is delivered, and to whom, instead of "what" is actually being taught and if children are actually learning things? That's completely backwards. That's like talking about whether umbrella should be used while ignoring the fact that everyone is getting wet because it's taboo to bring up the fact that all umbrellas are made of paper.

No, I don't agree that the government should GTFO because no other actor can or would want to be in charge of drafting a comprehensive list of things that must be taught. Then again, it doesn't look like the US federal government has any intention or capacity to do this either.
>>
>>583597
You haven't talked to the stupid fucks i have also i said fundies most normal religious people are alright
>>
>>583264
>relativism
>individuals

Wow, you got on the wrong boat.

>tolerance

Oh boy.
>>
File: 1441088414244.jpg (95 KB, 733x472) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1441088414244.jpg
95 KB, 733x472
>>583466
That game was so disappointing. The way people talk about it I thought it was going to be some meta Ulysses-tier postmodern magnum opus of the videogame industry, but for 3/4 of the thing it's just a generic action game about disabling C4 with bug spray. Then in the last couple hours there's some mildly interesting twists and then in the VERY LAST 20-30 minutes it starts to shift into a vague analysis of some actually pretty interesting ideas, but it doesn't really follow through on any of them.

It was just an okay metal gear game. MGS3 was thicker artistically and philosophically IMO, and had waaay better pacing.
>>
>>583522
That'd be protestants at work.
>>
>>583559
We need a little inequality now and then don't we?
>>
>>579615
I'm from Chile, and taking out Seven Years War and American Revolution, adding a couple of wars with Perú, Bolivia and Argentina taking away muh patagonia and it's the same shit.
Although WWI is "the result of a period of armed peace and the killing of Duke whatever"
WWII is Nazis, Hitler, then USA, watch Inglorious Basterds and you'll get the rest.
Also, Israel fucked Palestina up with 'I'm a victim, let me live here'.
Then Cold War (very far, then very close, military coup, Pinochet funded by the CIA, then the US gets angry with him, then democracy)
Then 9/11. All my teacher went on a rant about imperialism and USA overstepping its boundaries.
>>
>>583615
Also had best song friendo
https://youtu.be/_CbFAZ2ztlE
>>
>>583628
How do you feel about all the Pinochet cockgargling on /his/?
>>
>Portugal was the most powerful country in the world at some point in time
>>
>>582316
Spaniards exaggerated everything.
In Chile they said Mapuche people were 2 meters tall and could put trunks of big trees for 2 or 3 full days.
Actually they were 1.65 m and had no supernatural force. They had to justify losing to little indians.
>>
>>583646
Now look at the lazy niggers now
>>
>>583615
>MGS3 was thicker artistically and philosophically IMO

Read this, change mind.

http://www.deltaheadtranslation.com/MGS2/DOTM_TOC.htm
>>
>>583302
I feel like there are more economic forces at work here than biological.

>>583522
PROTESTANTISM.

NOT EVEN ONCE.
>>
>>581617
I had a similar experience in school.

>In communism everyone is equal. They have to have the same haircut, wear the same clothes, drive the same car, live in the same house.

>Fascism is bad because it's racist, and fascism is all about thinking you're better than everyone else. Examples of fascist countries are Nazi Germany, Imperial Japan, and the KKK.
>>
File: 23531465.jpg (780 KB, 3540x2360) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
23531465.jpg
780 KB, 3540x2360
>history project in middle school
>take historical figure and do a presentation on them
>learnt about Hannibal after reading about Rome on my own
>ask teacher if I can do a project on him
>"Oh, like Hannibal Lecter?"

JUST
>>
>>583185
didn't you post a big story about this a while back? i vaguely remember this, and it still makes me angry how sjws ruin everything fun.
>>
>>584011
I did. It was the second day of /his/'s creation.
Glad to see we're all still here.

Yup, maybe I should find it in the archive.
>>
>>584011
>>584019
>I was meant to be president
And yet you couldn't fucking run the numbers.
>>
>>581617

>muh real communism has never been tried

Kill yourself nigga
>>
>>584025
But the USSR wasn't communist, it wasn't even internally described as communist. They called themselves the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics.
>>
>>581966
>there are rules in war
One of the most hilarious things I've heard all decade.
>>
>>584080

There are, though. That they're frequently broken doesn't change that. Diving is technically against the rules in football, but watch the EPL and you'll see it every five minutes.
>>
>>584080
>>584093
There are rules in war, but you only get in trouble for breaking them if you lose.
>>
>>582961
Well, a pound of pepper was worth a couple decades' worth of wages in Rome, yes. Obs. it wasn't that expensive in India.
>>
>mandatory racism presentation
>most slaves in america were born free men in Africa were slavery didn't exist
>civilization started in Africa
>Egyptians were exclusively black and any other theory is a racist fabrication
>Africans are the rightful heirs to America because the Olmecs were black Africans
>Olmec were African
>>
>>584104
More like 4 days for a Roman soldier.
>>
>>583254
Jesus dude, that's rough. Honestly if I was assigned to the "muh states rights/economy" side, I could have at least made an argument that the southern economy was heavily dependent on slavery and that the Union couldn't force economic change on a state (or some bullshit like that).

Sounds like that girl didn't give a shit about the subject in general.
>>
>>584019
please do, sounds great
>>
>>583254
This reminds me of the time in Model UN that I came so prepared, people did not realize the Democratic People's Republic of Korea was the 'bad' one.
>>
File: this nigga srs.gif (2 MB, 352x217) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
this nigga srs.gif
2 MB, 352x217
>>580422
>american majority
>on an american website
well, no shit?
>>
>>582758

It's pretty obvious The Age of Exploration and the ensuing system of Mercantilism was about access to resources.
>>
>>584152
But the Democratic People's Republic of Korea is the best Korea.
>>
>>582707
>>582667

>Not being smart enough to read and interpret laws, and use or explain them to your advantage if or when you run into trouble with a gray area

See, this is your problem
>>
i've blocked out all high school memories of this kind of thing, but last semester there was a dyke-ish girl in my stone carving class who had a surprisingly decent knowledge of history. Every time another student brought up a historical subject and got their facts wrong, we tag-teamed them into submission.
>>
>>582906

It was worse for Central Asian Muslims under the USSR than Russian Orthodox Christians. Both went semi-underground to different extents, though.
>>
>>583232

Who the fuck are you talking to?
>>
>>581686
Yeah. I hate it when Americans get that cultural cringe. It saddens me. The U.S. was never the boondocks country but relevant even in its infancy.
>>
>>583327

If this is a class on something like Political Science, Anthropology, Geography, or International Studies, that's an important subject to pay attention to without throwing a tantrum.
>>
>>583294
They really are. I die a little inside any time a debate is cancelled. My friend and I basically just choose the side that rustles the most libruhl jimmies(which 99/100 times was what we believed anyway), and just trashed the other side. It was a lot of fun.
>>
>>584177
This. What kind of shite education are they giving you in the west?
>>
File: I do not like this.jpg (2 MB, 5000x5000) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
I do not like this.jpg
2 MB, 5000x5000
>>580805
>the quotation marks around race and science
>>
>>580805
>Those glasses and earrings

hipsters out of academics
>>
>>584316
She's using them to hide behind. It is the same reason many male academics wear beards.
>>
>>580494
Explain more about the Portugal masterrace period.
>>
>hey /his/ what's that thing that's stupider than you are because you are a brilliant paragon of human insight?
>200+ Replies

Not even disagreeing with any of the posts specifically but just sayin' guys. Just sort of indicative of the mentality of the board.
>>
>the Separatist Pilgrims landed in Virginia said by SJW black teacher who wants to only teach us about blacks/Indian in a survey class of all US History
>correct her and say Plymouth, MA
>says I'm wrong
>get laughed at by 90+ students

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>584347
What's important is that you're superior to both sides.
>>
>>584430
I guess according to Socrates or whatever in that I'm aware I'm as much of a piece of shit as the things I disagree with.
>>
>>579455
>World Lit. professor asks the class "What do you think about when you hear the phrase Middle Ages?"
>Guy behind me responds "I think about gladiators, sewers, and big guys in armor."

He wrote pretty good essays though.
>>
>>584472
how could you resist irl baneposting?
>>
>>584022
>>584134
Couldn't find it, here goes

>junior year
>join history club because history is cool and as a break from the rigors of the JROTC
>quickly become recognized as a skillful leader (benefit from JROTC) and a real passionate member for history
>the whole club loves me
>the current president chick says that I'll have the presidency next
>year comes to a close, except the teacher supervisor for the club says that they'll elect the president at the beginning of next year
>perplexed, but since history club loves me, no big deal
>next year rolls around
>overhear one of those sorta-popular loud passionate SJW high school feminist types (you know what I mean) complaining that she wants to make her application for colleges look good and doesn't have a club presidency
>she catches wind of the history club presidency void
>she announces she'll be running, even with no previous membership in the club
>voice my concerns to the teacher, I know she'll hijack the election by bringing in her hordes of friends on ejection day who aren't true members and won't stay
>the supervisor says not to worry
>sure enough, election day, she's brought all her friends
>we all make our running speeches
>I talk about broadening the scope of history and making history club more involved
>she literally talks about a "social justice" focus
>voting is held, we step outside
>she says to me "I really hope I crush you"
>the voting has been made
>I lost by 2 votes
>friend in the club says all original members voted for me
>fine, I'll run for vice president
>I run against her best friend, sure enough, I lose one more
>I say fuck it, I'm not whoring myself out to all positions to get fucked over
>they all vote themselves into the offices
>all their friends disappear from the club in the next week, curiously
>they're still in power though
That day I learned democracy is bullshit, but it gets worse from there
>>
>>579455
>idiotic thing
almost everything out of the mouths of my fellow students
not even trying to be a fedora tipper, they are either dead wrong 9/10 times or they are spouting some liberal nonsense
this shit is why I drink.
>>
>>580973
>grab my dick
>say i grabbed my dick
>40000 people saw me grab my dick
>somehow, according to you, I didn't grab my dick.
>>
>>584534
even the fucking Athenians thought democracy was bullshit. Fuck them.
[spoiler] Although I did found-then ditch ping pong club to put it on my college application, but I had perfectly legitimate reasons for leaving [/spoiler]
>>
>>584537
If that's true, then you should try to get out of there. Otherwise you'll just become smug and dumb.
>>
>>584541
If even one person contests that you did not grab your dick, then how is that not relative?
>>
>>584534
Continued
>later we're drafting who we are going to have for our "guess the historical figure" game for our first club meeting
>all she's throwing out are 19-20th century social figures in the US
>since I want history to be a little more diverse, I'll throwing some Genghis Khan, some William the Conqueror, maybe Julius Caesar
>I suggest Lief Eriksson
>"who's that?"
>"you don't know who Lief Eriksson is?"
>"I have a life, okay?"
>dis_bitch.jpeg
>I put Karl Marx in the board
>she puts a heart next to his name
>fuck that shit, wipe it off with my thumb
She's still in charge, and I ought to hold a coupe
I thought greentext stories were fake, wtf guys. And this is Texas, it's fucking over for the West.
>>
>>584550
Yeah, but you didn't bullshit someone in your quest. You're fine.
>>
>>584567
*coup
Also, I forgot to add
>one of those "what is ____ for 100" games planned
>get it shoved on me last minute because they didn't do it
>up all night working on it
>it's fucking awesome and everyone loves it
I should be in charge
>>
>>584582
>Can't run the fucking numbers
You always stack elections you idiot.
>>
>>579455

>Discussing something or other about WW2, getting pretty far off the main point.
>Get into debate with another student as to whether or not the Wehrmacht's advantages over the Allies up till like 1942 was about technology or if it was about tactics and doctrine.
>Bring up something Chuikov said about their organization to bolster my side (Tactics)
>Professor cuts in with "He's not a historian, Chuikov hasn't the training or the insight to make a call like that.

I didn't say it to the old idiot, but I'm pretty sure that if you're talking about a general, in a war that he fought in, he might actually have more insight into the matter than a historian.
>>
>>584552
smug and dumb? Nah, I won't let myself get there, I just listen to the professor and ignore these morons. I seriously think the smartest people in my classes are the ones that DON'T open their fucking mouth every goddamn minute. Like I said, I'm really not trying to act smug or high and mighty, but there are ALOT of dumb people that supposedly "study" history
>>584628
I actually wrote a paper on that. Germans generally had much better training, tactics and leadership in the early war. Their tech was actually mediocre.
for quick reference,
PPSH>MP40
T34>PZ3 and snub PZ4s
KV1>almost anything the germans could throw at it
It's a common myth that Germans had technological superiority in the early war. mid and late war? That statement holds more water, but early war was a clusterfuck for them in every sense of the world
>>
>>584628
>but I'm pretty sure that if you're talking about a general, in a war that he fought in, he might actually have more insight into the matter than a historian.

Nope. Primary sources aren't privileged in this way. You have a really really fucking naïve attitude towards primary sources.
>>
>>583157
While it is fictional, Zola did claim that he based it on research he did in mining communities. It's a tricky topic, but that's why they were wrong to just gloss over the problems in using it.
>>
>>584758
>t-34
>better
yeah, operational mobility of the t-34 was something to be marvelled at, as was the crew compartment.
>Kv1
I loved how germans went batshit insane trying to counter them.
>>
>>584108
He didn't say what century.
>>
Actually the opposite of what most people here are complaining about (simply because so many /pol/fags are here)

I would argue that high school history (at least for me) was eurocentric as fuck, often ahistorical as fuck to play up how awesome europeans were (Cortez and 300 men basically killed all the Aztecs with "technological superiority and horses" ignoring the hundreds of thousands natives backing them up and they actually dumped their own armour and used the same shit as the natives because it was more suited to the environment) and often very revisionist with national history to play down the crimes against indigenous people.

Basically all non-european civilizations were flat out ignored if they had little to do with the west or just glossed over quickly (learned literally nothing about China or Mesopotamia for example but we did learn about Egypt for obvious reasons and The Aztecs to show how awesome Europeans are)

Basically nothing about non-european tribal societies like Maori or Native Americans or Mongols etc.

Cold War was glossed over, basically "democracy vs Communism" and we watched Animal Farm showing how evil Communism is. That was our Cold War history.

WW2 history focused almost entirely on the western front, get this, our entire eastern front coverage was watching enemy at the gates and once again hearing about how evil communism is and how much the Soviets sucked shit. It wasn't until I was out of high school that I even realized the Soviets actually won WW2 and were about 90% of the war.

National history was very bad, since I'm in Australia, the Stolen Generation was covered but in this half-assed way to down play it "Oh it was done to actually help aboriginals but was a bad policy because they didn't ask the parents before they kidnapped the children, but it did help Aboriginals get education and good homes!" this was what I learned about what is now considered a genocide.
>>
>>584886
>Thanks, Howard.
>>
>>584534
I had that happen when i ran for anime/dnd club president in hs. My brother ran every quest and i hosted anime nights and organized con outings for the anime side of it, but i still lost to a vapid bitch. Once i got fucked over we both stopped contributing and the club fell apart within a month.
>>
>>584550
Dana?
>>
>>580197
Fuck off, kike
>>
>>584794

I'm not referring to him being a primary source, and in fact in this instance, with his musings on the German command structure and why it developed as it is, he is in fact not a primary source, just someone who is analyzing information presented to him.

I'm referring to the fact that he's a military man, and operating and perhaps even an expert in the sorts of conditions that WW2 was fought in. This gives him at the very least a different angle in evaluation, and quite possibly a superior one.
>>
>>580969
Dude, sometimes it must hurt to be american. I mean, we have our portion of stupid people here as well, but your examples... Jesus.
>>
>>585172
So you're a fucking cretin with no capacity to read any source.
>>
SO HOW OFTEN DO YOU FANTASIZE ABOUT GOING BACK TO PRIMARY/ HIGH SCHOOL AND BLOW THE FUCK OUT YOUR TEACHERS AND PEERS WITH YOUR MID 20S KNOWLEDGE

id tap some pussy too
>>
>>582829
Inreresting, i didnt know any of that. Thank you.
>>
>>585222
all the time tripsman
>>
>>585222
>PRIMARY…SCHOOL
>id tap some pussy too

Riiight.
>>
>>585222
>>585222
I usually fantasize about blowing the fuck out of my teachers and peers with an automatic rifle, but knowledge is fine too
>>
both my hum and his teachers were decent in high school
and at uni aswell

you guys are just joking when telling these horror stories right?
>>
>>584886
t. Emu
>>
>>579455
>/his/, what was the most idiotic thing you ever heard in a /hum/ or /his/ class?

I once got mocked by the liberal politically correct whore of a professor in the high school, for making a claim on an instance, that the Mongols were able of reaching Egypt during their conquests.

Her reaction was like : Wtf you insane lol, u know dat Mongolia-Egypt distance
>>
>>585295
But the Mongols did hit Egypt in the 13th century...
>>
>>580141

>all thise fucking retards ITT who do not see that this girl rekd herself tremenderously

How exactly is he in the wrong then whem he believes in western values, which are part of the western culture, which is not inherently worse than the one of the aztecs?
It is true that people should see cultures in their time context, but there is an objective truth behind whether shit works in a society, or it does not.
>>
>>585312
Yes, but there is not an objective truth behind the morality of the matter.
>>
>>585312
He's performing an eisegetic reading and reading his bias into the text.
>>
>>585312
>How exactly is he in the wrong then whem he believes in western values, which are part of the western culture, which is not inherently worse than the one of the aztecs?

That was her point though. It's the only way you're able to morally assess anything.

Nice touch referring to yourself in the third person btw.

>It is true that people should see cultures in their time context, but there is an objective truth behind whether shit works in a society, or it does not.

Shit worked in Aztec society just fine. They had a highly advanced civilization.
>>
>>584534
doesn't that just prove democracy needs regulations: such as all voters must be dedicated history club members, or all candidates must have been members for at least one year?
>>
>>585295
How does that make her liberal and politically correct? Do you even know what those words mean, or are you just using them as an insult? In 4 years the internet will be complaining about conservatives. ......
>>
>>585222
Never, because I don't enjoy lording over people unless they're in on the joke and is doing the same.
>>
>>579455
>7th grade history class
>Learning about the civil war
>Teacher says we'll finish after spring break.
>Girl in class says she "Can't you tell us who won now?"

I'll never forget the face of my teacher that day it was as if any hope he had for the youth of tomorrow was drained away.
>>
>>584553
then he is lying, doesn't change the fact I grabbed my dick
>>
>>583239
Didn't Kruschev close 12,000 Orthodox churches in 1959?
>>
>>579950
Shut the fuck up and provide the service you are being paid for. I hate it when staff get ideas above their station.
>>
>>583626

From each according to his ability, to each depending upon his need.
>>
File: Angry_Pepe (1).jpg (39 KB, 900x900) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Angry_Pepe (1).jpg
39 KB, 900x900
>>579455
Not necessarily a "history" class but,

>In my New Media Art History class
>had to one by one define each word of "New Media Art History" by ourselves.

>We started off with history
>had to list three examples of history
>Went with the Institute of Historical Research definition but went a little bit more vague.
>Listed the French Revolution, Napoleon, and War of Austrian Succession I believe as my examples.

>then had to define the term "herstory"
>be me, likes etymology of words
>teacher used "herstory" to show how everything is up to historical bias, even the word itself.
>Explain that history revolves around men
>Raise hand
>Say that that isn't a thing
>The word history comes from the word historia, which means inquire.
>Buddy next to me agrees and supports
>Teacher explains the position of women in Greek city states and how you could only be a wife or a slave
>Explain that that doesn't change the etymology of the word, and that the good things the greek did far outweigh the bad, regardless if it was a sexist society
>Buddy agrees
>Girls are bitching even though they don't even know ancient greece
>She straight up slaps the face of Greek literature and the etymology of so much of our language just because they were sexist
>Stay silent
>Looks up later that even Oxford knows the argument and they dismiss the term "herstory"

I fucking hate Canada and my university sometimes.
>>
>>587070
You pay my employer who authorises me to force feed you shit like a scatophagic goose owned by a Frenchman.

The service you're meant to be paying me for you're incapable of, like a limp dicked alcoholic in a whorehouse.
>>
>>587085
Don't know how your university works but I've actually gotten my money refunded when I was able to prove my professor didn't know jack shit about what they were teaching.
>>
>>587095

Well it's government funded for me (I hate affirmative action but it's because I'm a crownward, child of the state) so it would just be a waste of an opportunity. But it is more so art oriented, so I'll let it slide. She was trying to show how history is up to bias, but she did it very very badly.
>>
>>579950
B8/10
>>
>>584037
>muh real communism has never been tried
>>
>>584025
>tfw by extension of that logic, North Korea is a democratic republic

You would do well to realize that totalitarian dictatorships are in a class of their own and will claim to be anything to rouse popular support for their cause. It has NOTHING to do with theory itself if the new rule was predecessed by a violent revolution.
>>
>>587134
>totalitarian
Do the CIA pay you, or are you an idiot for free?
>>
>>587091
> those who can do
> those that can't teach
Stay mad you glorified babysitter. Don't you wish you'd paid more attention in school so you could get a job that pays an adult wage? Still you get good holidays so there's that at least
>>
>>580087
But the federal reserve does print money out of thin air and it's not even a government entity, it's a private corporation.
>>
>>584615
How do
>>
>>579615
Holy shit this sums up AP World pretty much perfectly
>>
>>579639
What's wrong with this?
>>
My Computational Methods teacher keeps referring to Isaac Newton and the late 17th/early 18th centuries as part of the Medieval Ages.
He says he's been teaching this course for 30+ years, and I don't know why nobody else has told him. I would, but I don't know how to not sound rude about it, given the number of times he's already said it.
>>
>>584861
KV1s are glorious
my favorite tank desu
>>
>>584886
t. dropbear
>>
>>585321
Is that what moral relativism really says? Like, I agree that moral situations need to be seen through the context of the time and culture, but there must be limits. If you say even mass human sacrifice cannot be seen as objectively immoral, then aren't you basically saying morality doesn't exist at all? That nothing at all is ever immoral unless you're biased?
Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 39
Thread DB ID: 446011



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.