[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what is /his/ opinion about Atlantis?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: plato-atlantis-drawing.jpg (107KB, 550x363px) Image search: [Google]
plato-atlantis-drawing.jpg
107KB, 550x363px
what is /his/ opinion about Atlantis?
>>
I'm not saying aliens...but?
>>
something something Åland
>>
>>575871
Cultural continuity found in Egypt, South America, Bosnia.

Anywhere where there are pyramids.

Metaphorically, the US is the new Atlantis.
>>
They should make Indiana Jones 5, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
>>
File: sphinxasliondvd1.jpg (11KB, 284x206px) Image search: [Google]
sphinxasliondvd1.jpg
11KB, 284x206px
>>575871
in about 600 BC, Plato wrote that Atlantis thrived 9000 years prior.
~9600 BC was the end of the last Ice Age...
The Sphinx is further evidence of sophistication wayyyyyyy back around the time of Gobekli Tepe...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0Z4yt3vH_E
>>
I like the sudden crustal displacement theory as described in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Yp0dCqfpg. Ie atlantis was on antarctica, which was a couple thousand miles north until about 12000 years ago. Pseudoscience probably, but entertaining
>>
It was probably just some Mediterranean island that sank due to erosion and rising sea levels
>>
>>575954
There's no basis for believing that Plato himself believed in the historicity of Atlantis, any more than he believed in the historicity of Zeus. He was using the story of Atlantis as a prop in a larger philosophical discussion.
>>
It's a myth based on the cultural memory of the fall of Minoan civilization on Crete around the time of the Thera eruption.
>>
File: xirabreshk20.jpg (64KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
xirabreshk20.jpg
64KB, 600x450px
>>575977
ok, but it's also possible Plato was making a rare reference to the civilization present at the time of Gobekli Tepe...
>>
>>575966
sudden crustal displacement theory would invalidate the current model of plate tectonics
>>
>>575997
>Plato was making a rare reference to the civilization present at the time of Gobekli Tepe...
>Rare... Tepe
>>
File: IMG_20151112_020539.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151112_020539.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
>>575977
>historicity of Zeus

Are you saying he believed in horsemanship and not horses?
>>
>>575891
Europeans and Asians both have dragons, and they were the two first areas to industrialize and have a higher rate of atheism.
>>
>>575977
Pretty much this. Even the way Plato set the story up makes it obvious the story isn't meant to be taken literally (and very people did until the nineteenth century). Two people are having a political discussion, and then one of them happens to remember a story he heard from someone who heard it from people who heard it from someone else but forgot who. And the story relates perfectly to the discussion at hand, and has nice morals about what kinds of governments fail.
>>
>>575871

possible to exist

see arkaim
>>
It was clearly Tenochtitlan.
>>
>>575954
You mean 400 BC you idiot
>>
>>575891
>hurr if multiple people decide to build pointy temples, it's because they were connected by alliums

>>576044
>hurr anyone who dug up dinosaur bones had any vague mythical beast that was reptilian were connected by aliums
>hurr if multiple people have comparable spiritual traditions they were connected by aliums
>hurr if multiple places were successful they were connected by alliums

This site is for adults
>>
i beleve that Atlantis exists! and it is the paradise in earth i beleve acient greek called the home of hereos( Νηση τον Ηροον)
>>
>>575954
>18 minutes of graham hancock
please god no i don't deserve this torture
>>
>>577245
>It was clearly Tenochtitlan.
you're right. the legendary city was created as a reference to a city that wouldn't exist for another 1000 years
>>
Holy shit, so much /x/-tier bullshit in here.

Atlantis was either an older myth or one made up by Plato on the spot to serve a metaphorical purpose. He dropped the story in the middle of a longer dialectic about the dangers of pride and greed. It was never, ever intended to be part of his history discussions, and was never considered anything other than an extended metaphor until retarded spiritualists started mining "ancient texts" to fuel their new age bullshit in the industrial era.
>>
>>575871

my opinion is that humans have been around for hundreds of thousands of years so its higly unlikely what we call civilisation just somehow sprung up some 4000 years ago for no apparent reason
that being said theres no need to exagerate things
the farther back in time the more important even a tiny populated island, a few proto-urban centres or a trade route here and there become, and a ruler might be considered massively wealthy if he has 50+ cows or something, which then turns into entire legendary stories about huge island empires with millions of people and unbelievable wealth and incredible technology and arcane knowledge and occult powers and aliens and iterdimensionablaghalrbla bla bal bla

so yeah, people have been around for a while now, some things shouldnt suprise us
>>
>>581437
This is how religions start
>>
>>575981
More like people thought there must have been some big central cig behind the Phoenicians and their franchising
>>
Only %1 of the seafloor has been explored. Given that we know people were building megalithic stone structures around the end of the last ice age, Atlantis was probably just a trading city-state somewhere in the med. that was built on low-lying land that would have been an island then but was swamped with rising sea levels. Nothing super spectacular but probably some stone-structures at the very least. Its silly to think that there wasn't anything like this though, I mean, during the last ice age most of the land currently underwater between the italian peninsula and the balkans was above water. In that area alone there must have been a dozen small villages that were eventually submerged. If underwater sea explortion of the med. and nearby oceans becomes a big thing in the future they will probably find multiple ruins of stone structures underwater, I believe they have found several already. I think stuff like the Piri Reis map suggets the possibility that Graham Hancock may be right about some things but the two possibilities are not mutally exclusive. There may have been a relatively advanced for their time civilization as advanced as Egypt in the 12,000-9,000 BC range that got wiped out but that dosn't mean the tale of Atlantis wasn't just based on a fishing/trading hub with stone/brick buildings that got submerged.
>>
>>576044
>Saying that European dragons and Asian "dragons" are even remotely related.
>>
>>575871
An allegorical piece of fiction that retards have been taking literally for a very, very long time
>>
File: atlantis0103.jpg (235KB, 800x1043px) Image search: [Google]
atlantis0103.jpg
235KB, 800x1043px
I liked the movie, wish there was more of it.
>>
Literally only mentioned in one single source ever, in a fictional dialogue.
>>
So would Atlantis be an obscure piece of mythology relating to a few ancient civilizations and not a well recognized idea if it wasn't for Plato's books?
>>
>>575891
>Anywhere where there are pyramids.

take a group of dumb people, give them a shitload of dirt and tell them to build a tower 10m tall. they will make a pyramid, its easy. when you put thing over and start to crumble, simply enlarge the base until it stops crumblin, that way you make easy high as you want buildings, without any architecture knowledge.
that's why there are pyramids all over the world, it's the easiest way to make a tall building
>>
File: 220px-Ataln1.jpg (46KB, 220x341px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Ataln1.jpg
46KB, 220x341px
>>584291
there was more, and it was shit
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.