[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the idea of parallel universes unfounded? How do we know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: paralleee.jpg (160KB, 1263x633px) Image search: [Google]
paralleee.jpg
160KB, 1263x633px
Is the idea of parallel universes unfounded? How do we know they even exist?
>>
>>575743
Fuck off with your popsci bullshit.
>>>/sci/
>>>/reddit/
>>>/facebook/
>>
>>575743
They exist and are full of waifus who love us.

Thank you analytical philosophy.

http://www.philpapers.org/archive/sinPG
>>
>>575743
Depends on whether you believe there are infinite other universes
>>
>>575743
>>>/v/
>>
everyone lives in a paralLel universe since everyone perceives different realities.
>>
I am not sure how this is history nor humanities.
>>
>>575743
depends on what model of physics you're using
our dank standard model doesn't really have a good way to make it work, although the idea isn't necessarily precluded.
spicy string theory seems to tell us that a number of parallel verses exist, but no core theory or fact of string theory has ever been proven in a rigorous sense. the math works, but you can explain a geocentric model of the solar system and force the math to "work" -- that doesn't make it right though.
also in almost all cases, the idea that parallel verses exist is almost meaningless. for the most part, they're not alternate histories, they're alternate physical realities, ie. different physics -- not "lel the alternate world where Hitler cured cancer." there are a handful of people who think that alternate verses spin off from "decisions" (which they routinely fail to define in a way that explains what free will is and why it creates alternate timelines), and also some who think the same concerning uncertainty/quantum effects. that would mean there is an infinite number of verses, but again there rarely is an explanation why they spin off in the first place.
an additional idea is that our universe is the one that's stable. its physical laws hold together, while the spin off verses crumbled apart in a kind of cosmic evolution. it implies other stable verses might exist with altered physics. again, it lacks a genesis hypothesis, but it's an interesting idea. to my knowledge, no-one has really pursued it.
>>
>>575743
If there are unlimited parallel universes, there is one in which the theory of parallel universes is unfounded.

So it is unfounded
>>
>>575743
Its is just a common fantasy of man. People dwell on past events and wonder at the possibilities if something different was done in the past.

So, unfounded and impossible to know if they exist.
>>
>>575983
Fucking retard. Many worlds is completely independent of string theory. Guess which one says anything about parallel universes.

MW an attempt to do away with quantum decoherence with mathematical wankery which impressed neither the physicists nor the mathematicians; and you, being the gullible idiot that many are, doesn't care about being factually correct but instead conflates two "smart-sounding" things so that you can appear intellectual on a Siberian donkey fisting bulltein board. Absolutely typical.
>>
>you will never be the Antimonitor and destroy infinite universes until only one is left
>you will never be a gotee wearing evil version of you
>you will never visit the universe where the only difference is you weren't born so evil took over
>>
>>575952
If we steer it into modal realism and waifus, then it's philosophy.
>>
>>575743
From a scientific perspective Parallel Universes are idiotic. If they exist they are distant in such a way we are unable of ever interacting with them. And by that I mean we can never even detect them. They may as well not be real.
There is no way to test for their existence, and so until we find some way to do so they're as good as fake.
>>
>>576101
> Muh experiments
> Muh empiricism
> Muh if I can't smell the shit it isn't shit
Go to /sci/, we're being pseudo-intellectual here
>>
Do people in other universes go to the same afterlife as us or a parallel afterlife?
>>
>>576101
Detecting rainbow gravity or gravitational waves would give us a strong hint that they exist
>>
>>576057
>he got something wrong about quantum physics
>oh my god what a fucking retard
>>
>>575774
Problem with infinite universes, is if there's any interaction between them, at all, then every universe would be filled with an infinite amount of energy generated by an infinite number of interactions, and I wouldn't be here to bump this shitpost thread.

So either there's a finite number of universes (such as 1), or there's an infinite number of universes, but no interaction between them is possible, so it doesn't matter.
>>
>>576101
So... The unobservable universe doesn't exist?

Hey, we're almost actually in /his/ territory now!
>>
>>576101
>There is no way to test for their existence, and so until we find some way to do so they're as good as fake.
Granted, in about 100 billion years, due the accelerating expansion of the universe, you'll be able to say the same of every galaxy we see today (save Andromeda) and the microwave background radiation.

There'll be no evidence of the big bang, or anything outside this galaxy. Thus, the universe, as we know it now, is as good as fake.

Which kinda makes ya wonder what else we might be missing out on in the meantime for the same reason.
>>
>>575768
>;_;GENSOKYO;_;
>>
>>579038
>either there's a finite number of universes (such as 1), or there's an infinite number of universes, but no interaction between them is possible, so it doesn't matter.
Sadly, I believe this. The reasonable alternative I can think of is that some "universes" are contained inside other universes (think simulations).
>>
>>579001
>spouts false information
>pretends like he know what he's talking about
>gets coddled by others
>implying /his/ isn't just another shitposting board like /sci/
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.