[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /his/ think of cosmicism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

File: H._P._Lovecraft,_June_1934.jpg (24KB, 285x352px) Image search: [Google]
H._P._Lovecraft,_June_1934.jpg
24KB, 285x352px
Is it an underrated philosophy or just the poor man's nihilism?
>>
>deriving a philosophy from 3rd rate horror fiction

JUST
>>
I thought it was just a theme in Lovecraft's works and not an actual philosophy. Nihilism with spooky aliens.
>>
>>575541
>Lovecraft
>third rate
>>
>>575537
>poor man's nihilism

this

>>575541
and this
>>
File: 1431536501570.jpg (42KB, 541x498px) Image search: [Google]
1431536501570.jpg
42KB, 541x498px
>>575549
>Lovecraft
>not shit

He's the Danielle Steel of horror
>>
>>575542
It's like nihlism, but it focuses more on the powerlessness of humanity rather then the pointlessness of it all.
>>
>>575537
He implemented is own philosophy into his fiction, and it isn't hard to see that, but let's be honest, I love his work as I'm sure many here do, but the man was insane, reading his notes and letters it isn't hard to come to the conclusion that he actually believed in Elder Things, and Yog-Sothoth, but in the terms of horror he definitely left a mark that is undianable and still seen today
>>
>>575557
Fuck you buddy. Who do you like then?
>>
>>575558
It actually is a really philosophy called Cosmic Indifferentism, and we do know for a fact he loved Nietszche
>>
>>575549

Hola reddit
Bonjour reddit
Gluten tag reddit
Ola reddit
Namaste reddit
Top of the morning to ya reddit
Ciao reddit
Zdras-tvuy-te reddit
Salaam reddit
Konichiwa reddit
Merhaba reddit
Szia reddit
Ni hau reddit
>>
>>575567
Machen. Lovekek loved him too, by the way.
>>
>>575566
Nice dubs, but he admitted he was very open to his atheism (well, practical atheism, technical agnosticism).
>>
>>575572
Well okay then. Any particular reason you hate Lovecraft besides him being popular?
>>
>>575566
Lovecraft was an atheist, the fedora-wearing misanthropic edgelord variety.
>>
>>575537
I respect Lovecraft in a sense that he was the first ones to describe alien life as something totally beyond the understanding of Man.

There might be aliens, sure, but they also might be vastly superior extra-dimensional intelligences that exist in totally different realities than ours bound by different laws of time & space.
>>
>>575580
Shit writing.

>monster appears
>IT'S SO HORRIBLE IT CANNOT EVEN BE DESCRIBED, A MERE GLIMPSE WOULD DRIVE ANY GROWN MAN MAD

Cheap ass copout.
>>
>>575592
So, did you even finish Call of Cthulhu, or did you call it a day after three paragraphs and then wiki'd up Lovecraftian?
>>
>>575592
Well, he was the pioneer of the genre. You have to give him credit in that regard.
>>
>>575581
He was also a /pol/-tier racist. His novella "The Shadow over Innsmouth" was partially about his disgust of race-mixing.
>>
>>575592
I probably read more Lovecraft than you did. Moreover even Clive Barker was calling him out on this.

>>575604
Horror genre? You only need to read his essay
Supernatural Horror in Literature to see he's just copypasting shit from various Gothic horror novels he's read.

>>575607
Yes and no, at first the protagonist assumes the fishmen are race mixed, then concludes they're just degenerate spawns of incest.
>>
>>575607
Let's not forget of how he predicted a horrible future where asians overtook the planet. But it was the early 1900's. So was everybody.
>>
>>575610
>Yes and no, at first the protagonist assumes the fishmen are race mixed, then concludes they're just degenerate spawns of incest.
Did we read the same story? The ending I remember was the protagonist learning he might share some heritage with the people of Innsmouth and thinking they would become some hybrid master-race.
>>
>>575604
Call of Cthulhu is basically a re-write of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon_Pool

Lovecraft is not that original if you actually read his influences.
>>
>>575592
Eh. Not all of his stuff was like that. I probably enjoy his short stories more.
>>
>>575619
Yeah but that was presented as the narrator being a piece of shit like his fellow fishman kin.
>>
>>575619
He learns that a lot later. Not to mention almost every single story of his has the same pattern

>a random guy investigating some mundane crap
>uncovers an arcane conspiracy of gigantic proportions
>in the end he's driven mad / killed / turned into a squid

Even a pleb tier horror writer like Stephen King offers way more variety.
>>
File: 1443820179294.gif (999KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1443820179294.gif
999KB, 500x281px
>>575592
>reading lovecraft for anything but world building and prose
who the fuck gets spooped by a book anyways?
>>
>>575610
>Yes and no, at first the protagonist assumes the fishmen are race mixed, then concludes they're just degenerate spawns of incest.

The original fish-people that Obed Marsh trafficked with inter-bred with humans and over a few generations their taint spread until they were the only ones left in Innsmouth.

You fucking dingus.
>>
>>575626
no one is that original if you read their influences
>>
>>575566
>reading his notes and letters it isn't hard to come to the conclusion that he actually believed in Elder Thing

And where do you get that? I get a sense that Lovecraft harbored strict rational world-view throughout his whole life in a time when all sorts of Spiritualist fallacies and other con-men mediums were gaining foot.

His attitude was more like that he really wanted to believe in the supernatural, but understood that reality is boring.
>>
>>575659
Yes you retard, but the protagonist learns this a lot later. Look up his initial observations about the Innsmouth look when he first arrives in the town.
>>
>>575665
But that doesn't matter in the face of the fact that the degeneracy of Innsmouth WAS due to inter-breeding.
>>
>>575646
>>575665

I am >>575607

Just to be clear, I was referring to the entire novella, not just the part where he first encounters Innsmouth.
>>
Lovecraft had excellent ideas, but was pretty meh at writing out a setting

Stephen King is greatly inspired by him, but also says the same thing that his writing is poo
>>
>>575571
/pol/?

Stop using "reddit" to mean "thing I don't like."
>>
>>575537
>"pull the trigger kill a nigger" - H.P Lovecraft
>>
>"pull the trigger kill a nigger" - H.P Lovecraft
>>
>>575592
Having read nearly all his work, I can think of maybe two times that actually happened. "It's so horrible everyone shits themselves and dies!!!1!1" is a meme purpatrated by contrarians and people who only read one of the two stories that happened in.
>>
>>575816
Call of Cthulhu
Shadow over Innsmouth
Mountains of madness
That thing on the doorstep

Just off the top of my head. In every fucking story the protagonist seems to be the same person for some reason, the dialogues are shit and character development as well.
>>
>>576894
you have to read lovecraft like tolkien basically. the characters in LOTR are mostly boring assholes who all talk with the same essential voice, that's just not where his strengths were. you have to suck it up and get immersed in the world building and the mythology, and it's the same with HPL, for me at least.
>>
>>576912
Tolkien is a master of descriptive writing though.
>>
It's fanfiction basically.
>>
>>576937
I dunno, his descriptions always bored me to tears. Easily the worst part of LOTR.
>>
>>576959
The worst part are the characters by far.
>>
>>576961
Well, those sucked, too, but at least I wasn't as annoyed by them as by all those unnecessary descriptions. They were just generic, not really horrible.
>>
>comparing Tolkien to Lovecraft

Tolkien was explicitly trying to write in a style that emulated translated Northern European sagas, because The Lord of the Rings was his fun attempt at giving England a mythos of its own that would feel like something written centuries ago that ended up becoming really popular. Its stylistic choices are 100% perfectly placed given what it set out to do, and it makes the whole work read like a genuine set of stories written in the Roman era.

Lovecraft was a hack whose prose was simultaneously purple and dull not because of emulating aesthetics, but because he sucked at writing. He has this catalog of adjectives that he constantly drags out to use over and over again (indescribable, cyclopean, etc.). No matter how conceptually interesting his stuff is, his actual story-crafting is so formulaic that it's impossible to get absorbed into the proceedings.
>>
>>578502
>it's ok when Tolkien does it but not when Lovecraft does it. That makes him a hack!
>>
>>575616
>implying that still isn't going to happen

Once China finished colonising Africa, Europe will be their next target.
>>
>>578815
>t. retard
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.