[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can /his/ recommend some godtier history books that cover the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (64KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64KB, 630x630px
Can /his/ recommend some godtier history books that cover the extent of human history.
>>
You'll be hard pressed to find a general history book covering the known extent of human civilization that could be considered "godtier". You're better off researching respected authors/historians and learning piece by piece
>>
>>573623
Better to learn a few things properly than take short glances at a lot of things, as Marcus Aurelius would say.
Additionally history isn't in a vacuum, if you learn a ton of one thing it will naturally bleed into the entire history of the time. So just pick a few things through history that really interest you, get deeply invested in them and you'll naturally get a well rounded understanding if you're inquisitive enough.
>>
I'm no historian but 'The Human Web: A Bird's-eye View of World History' was a nice overview.
>>
>>573623
"Outline of History" by HG Wells, if you can get over his blatant marxism (in the latter chapters) is a god tier view of human history under 1000 pages.

If you're willing to invest a bit more time you have the Durant saga.
>>
I'm enjoying Susan Wise Baur's History of the World series. It's broad and general but still cool like when it mentions Byzantium and Persia's conflicts being affected by a people you earlier came across in the chapter about India.
>>
File: Spengler Decline of the West.jpg (16KB, 246x320px) Image search: [Google]
Spengler Decline of the West.jpg
16KB, 246x320px
This of course.

It doesn't cover every detail of history obviously, far from it, but it builds a model that makes sense of history and of the larger fundamental underlying movements, and gives you a basic understanding of the history of every civilisation, even if you don't know anything about one in particular.
>>
It's a pretty broad, light read (it's a comic book) but its very enjoyable and surprisingly informative. I wouldn't use it as primary literature, but it's detailed enough to inspire you to read more about whatever periods/events you like. Also pic related is only part 1 of 3 (get all 3)
>>
File: IMG_2259.png (958KB, 680x591px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2259.png
958KB, 680x591px
>>573623

"History of the World" by J.M. Roberts is great, I'm currently at page 890 out of roughly 1100. It starts with the early hominids and pre-humans like habilis, erectus etc and the moves on to the first civilations in Sumer and Egypt and goes from there to the current era. The Greeks and Romans alone take up about 150+ pages and its really small type so the whole book is more like 2000+ pages of regular text. Pretty good stuff tbhf.
>>
Not OP
Any books about the American civil war (or any civil war)?
>>
>>579872
Don't worry, Homer of US of American will be recommended to you shortly.
>>
>>579153
I genuinely didn't expect anyone on 4chan to have ever heard of that.

I remember reading it as a kid and getting really into whatever I'd see, going from fish to dinosaurs to mammals and then history.
>>
>>579623
Oh shit. The audiobook book is just shy of 55 hours.
>>
The Triology "Civilization and Capitalism: 15Th-18th Century" by Fernand Bruadel.
>>
>>580370
>Braudel
Wallerstein
>>
>>580353
That's nothing Will Durant's The Story of Civilization is over 430 hours on audiobook.
>>
>>581325
And 430 hours of shit in your ear is a tonne.
>>
>>581350
How is it shit?
>>
>>581350
What's wrong with Will Durant?
>>
>>581958
>>583192

1) No archival work
2) Scope is too large
3) No rigorous theoretical basis: his biases don't creep in, they leap in in great bounds with nothing to restrict them
4) His whiggish petit-bourgeois Americana biases overdetermine his writing: you are reading a fantasy about sitting rooms in the late 19th and early 20th century, you're not reading history

If you want to read fiction, go to >>>/lit/

If you're pig ignorant of history and historical method, do the Cartoon History of the World 1-3, Cartoon History of the Modern World 1-2.
>>
>>583699
What is whiggish petit-bourgeois Americana?
>>
>>584629
The Whig Theory of History
Petit-bourgeois = the shop holders, rentiers, land lords and professionals of the 19th century
Americana = Many kinds of material fall within the definition of Americana: paintings, prints and drawings; license plates or entire vehicles, household objects, tools and weapons; flags, plaques and statues, and so on. Patriotism and nostalgia play defining roles in the subject. The things involved need not be old, but need to have the appropriate associations. The Atlantic described the term as "slang for the comforting, middle-class ephemera at your average antique store—things like needle-pointed pillows, Civil War daguerreotypes, and engraved silverware sets."

All of which was wikiable.
>>
>>584670
Oh I was looking at it as one singular thing, not three separate things.
>>
>>584690
no problem

Seriously, if you want a long duration history read Braudel or Wallerstein.

If you want to read an "epic" length work, read Needham on China.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.