[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The selfless act

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: monocledrop.gif (388KB, 300x275px) Image search: [Google]
monocledrop.gif
388KB, 300x275px
There is no such thing as a truly selfless act.

Whenever you commit some act of charity, you do so in order to give yourself some level of psychological satisfaction - to provide yourself with your own "happy ending". In this sense all of human nature is based on an irresistible urge to benefit the self. Even Suicide is a selfish act; when the japanese suicide bombers of World War II steered their planes into american ships they were not truly doing it for the emperors glory, but to satisfy their own desire to have lived a worthy life in the eyes of their peers. Pure greed.
>>
Nice anime villain speech family
>>
This is why I sociopath.
>>
File: mgs2_97_22e.jpg (88KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
mgs2_97_22e.jpg
88KB, 640x480px
>>573093
Yes, even your post is an example of it.
>>
>>573093
>>573124
but what if really we create content and control context
>>
>>573093

Oh, go outside would you? No one buys your depth.
>>
I remember being 15.
>>
Your entire post is based on a false assumption that everyone is as selfish as you are.
>>
>>573171
No its a hypothetical claim - open to discussion and invalidation through discourse.
>>
What is the 'self'?
>>
>>573192
It's incorrect because it asserts too much.

No pure-selflessness, sure.
Pure greed? debatable, therefore invalid already.
>>
>>573093
This claim is ultimately true.
If somebody doesn't like to act selfless then they won't. If somebody does like acting selfless then they will. That is the deciding factor for somebody acting selflessly or not.

I think the reason people want to dispute this claim is because they feel that it invalidates selflessness. But who cares why somebody acted selflessly? Regardless of motives, selflessness will always have the same moral value.
>>
File: mgs2_174_5a2.jpg (88KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
mgs2_174_5a2.jpg
88KB, 640x480px
>>573201
"In this era of ready made 'truths', self is just something used to preserve those positive emotions that you occasionally feel. Another possibility is that self is a concept you borrowed under the logic that it would endow you with some sense of strength..."
>>
>>573204
>Philosophical Claim? Debatable, therefore invalid already.
What the fuck am I reading?
>>
>>573240
He made a claim of 'pure greed'.
Does purity exist in this world of ours?
>>
>>573240
Everyone is greedy all the time? Gimme a break with this anime shit
>>
>>573253
I don't know, that is the point of debate and dialectics.
Something isn't wrong simply because it can be discussed.
>>
"From his cradle to his grave a man never does a single thing which has any FIRST AND FOREMOST object but one—to secure peace of mind, spiritual comfort, for HIMSELF."

- Mark Twain, "What is man"
>>
>>573272
He also said,

"Good breeding consists in concealing how one thinks of himself, and how little he thinks of the other person."
>>
>guarding outpost at night while platoon is asleep
>spot group of insurgents creep up
>if I sound the alarm I will be shot at and in all likelihood die but the platoon has a chance to return fire and survive
>There is no such thing as a truly selfless act
How's that edginess going
>>
>>573349
>B-b-but you probably felt good about sounding that alarm heh

I want reddit to leave
>>
>>573349
Life is a test of virtue - the ultimate good.

If you sound the alarm, you've won the game.
>>
>>573349
>>573357
But what would make one happier than dying in an honorable way to save the lives of your compatriots?
>>
>>573370
>being dead
>being happy

Pick one you giga autist
>>
>>573376
People can die happy.
Inability to understand emotions, such as you have demonstrated, is the sign of autism.
>>
>>573376
Who would want to live a life in which you were constantly racked with guilt and grief?
Regardless of your beliefs of the afterlife, many people would happily die for something they believe in.
>>
>>573093
Don't care, I do what I want within my locus of control anyway
>>
>>573349
The soldier guarding the outpost has been brainwashed into believing that saving his friends is a morally righteous act. The soldier knows that he will be remembered as a hero if he dies for his fellow soldiers.

>He sounds the alarm knowing that his death will secure his popular memory.

>HE. IS. GREEDY.
>>
>>573395
>brainwashed into believing it's a morally righteous act to save his brothers whose he's trained and bled with for years

Fucking autist
>>
File: philosophy.jpg (62KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
philosophy.jpg
62KB, 640x480px
>>573395
>popular memory

"And, to conclude the matter, what is even an eternal remembrance? A mere nothing. What then is that about which we ought to employ our serious pains? This one thing, thoughts just, and acts social, and words which never lie, and a disposition which gladly accepts all that happens, as necessary, as usual, as flowing from a principle and source of the same"

Best to do the right thing in any circumstances, even if you won't be remembered at all.
>>
>>573412
>Best to do the right thing in any circumstances, even if you won't be remembered at all.
And yet those who do the right thing in any circumstance do it because it satisfies their need for spiritual comfort with their life.
>>
>>573423
ITT autists who can't into moral duty

Stick to anime friend
>>
>>573423
But the guy I quoted would think that obtaining "spiritual comfort" is pointless, and that you should do good things because it's simply your human *duty*.

It's hard to do things selflessly, but I think that's the ultimate test in life.
>>
>>573429
>u r autist
>le anime
If you didn't like having moral duties then you wouldn't have them mate.
>>
>>573429
you are so blinded by morality that you dont realise you are just an animal.
Most animals dont try to save other animals from pain.
The universe is entirely blind to emotion.
Just because you believe that "the righteous act" is something worthy of preservation does not mean that nature does.

Nature dont give a shit.
>>
>>573441
Autisttttttttt

Go tell this to a mother who loves her child you cringey reddit faggot

>>573437
>he thinks a duty means you have to like it

Doing it even when you don't feel like it is what a duty is you dip
>>
>>573446
>Go tell this to a mother who loves her child you cringey reddit faggot

A mother protects her child because seeing it in pain would make her feel bad. She is greedy.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (10KB, 255x198px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
10KB, 255x198px
>>573477
TOP TIP
>>
>>573093
If you die to save someone you love there's really no selfishness there.
>>
>>573500

So, essentially, death is the only truly selfless act.

Which means that in day-to-day life, selfless acts dont exist.
>>
File: 1452879870075.jpg (4KB, 125x119px) Image search: [Google]
1452879870075.jpg
4KB, 125x119px
>>573524
>>
>>573477

>seeing it in pain would make her feel bad
>=greed

you dun goofed
>>
>>573500
And this is exactly what God did for us.
He died for us.

And people say God is cruel? lol
>>
>>573429
More like Jews and ayn randbots
>>
>>573582
>And people say God is cruel? lol

Is this the same God that gives babies cancer?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.