[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where did the idea of a dragon originate? It seems like just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: george1.jpg (89KB, 506x512px) Image search: [Google]
george1.jpg
89KB, 506x512px
Where did the idea of a dragon originate? It seems like just about every culture had their own version of a dragon
>>
good question!! prepare to get your mind blown son!!!!!
>>
>>568799
Tiamat is first notable dragon that I'm aware of, so like 5000 years ago?
>>
>>568799
Early storytelling serves as a historiography (primary focus of myth) and pedagogy (primary focus of folklore) in the absence of scientific investigation. The reference point for all people is the world around us and in both myth and folklore elements of the world (trees, stars, humans, snakes, the elements, etc.) are stretched and squashed, mixed and dissected, to create fictions that are outrageous but help to carry some point across exactly because they're outrageous. The dragon, as such, is an exaggerated reptile, and because of the characteristics of reptiles (poisonous, skin shedding, scaled, can regrow limbs, etc.) the dragon is both dangerous and mystical, and can serve many purposes, whether it's cosmogony (as with the Jörmungandr or Leviathan) or moralistic (St. George's dragon) or simply heroic (Smaug or Vritra).
>>
>>568799

I think this is partly because people use the term 'dragon' loosely. An Aztec feathered serpent, the Egyptian monster Apep, and Chinese river dragons are very different creatures, but people just lump all scaly long creatures together.
>>
>>568839

I thogh Tiamat was a tortoise.
>>
dinosaur bones and people have just always loved telling scary stories

what is interesting that few past cultures ever believed that dragons were a contemporary thing (at least in europe). they were always legends and beasts of old that heroes had slain.
>>
>>568839
>>568858
Isn't the aborigine dreamtime serpent older? Or am I fucking idiot and it's both not a dragon or older than Tiamat?
>>
>>568858
well technically she is a primordial goddess of chaos and primordial creation and is depicted as a woman, but after she creates a bunch of kids with her other Aspu they kill him and start to wage war on her so she transformes into a sea dragon. and like >>568852 said "dragons are very different creatures, but people just lump all scaly long creatures together."
>>
>>568870
>aborigine dreamtime serpent
this is new to me, like i said " that I'm aware of"
>>
>>568870
sounds like Astral projection type of thing (donnie darko) called a serpent for its appearance being long and cylindrical
>>
>>568799
In snakes, any word for dragon has it's root in the words for snakes
>>
>>568799
Dragons from other cultures are so wildly different they might as well be classified as different mythological creatures.
>>
>>568799
>be me, mystic Göbekli pepe
>everyone listens to me because i made the association with eating shit and getting sick
>get free food, sacrifice 3 or 4 virgins a week
>fuckingsweet.gif
>only thing i cant do is fuck king chad's wife
>every morning i go up the mountain and make cumsies about her
>everyone thinks I'm communing with gods
>see egg
>boil it for energy for cumsies making
>shade flys over me
>ohshit.hieroglyph
>pygmy cormorant aggressive AF because i'm boiling his babies for evening cumsies
>get fucking rekt, eventually stamp it to death
>missing an eye, bleeding everywhere, fell in the boiling water so scolded too
>go back down mountain, everyone asking what happened
>>
>>568799
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0c1xFDMHdA
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.