[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/his/ what's your favourite Italian City State? Mine is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

File: image.png (40KB, 533x276px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
40KB, 533x276px
/his/ what's your favourite Italian City State?

Mine is the Most Serene Republic of Venice.
>>
>>566977
>leeching off the dying Eastern Empire

Genoa and Venice are objectively the worst Italians.
>>
File: 1450116266962.png (616KB, 973x1053px) Image search: [Google]
1450116266962.png
616KB, 973x1053px
>mfw taking a special topics Venice course this term
>>
>aquatic jew
>>
<Betrays their cooreligionists during the fourth crusade

At least alot of those fucks helped defend Constantinople in 1453 ill give them that
>>
Ragusa. I find it interesting how they kept being a typical Italian city-state even under Ottoman suzerainty.
>>
>>567028

>byzantines wuz gud boys we dindu nuffin

They got what was coming to them.
>>
File: divina commedia and chill.jpg (127KB, 960x751px) Image search: [Google]
divina commedia and chill.jpg
127KB, 960x751px
if i had to pick i'd probably go for Florence
>>
>>568555

Principate or Republic?
>>
>>566977
Hard to say. Pre Medicean Florence, I guess. Overall Venice though.
>>
File: divina-commedia.jpg (89KB, 640x618px) Image search: [Google]
divina-commedia.jpg
89KB, 640x618px
>>568558
i hate to admit it but i don't know much about history after the fall of Rome
i only like Firenze because of the literature and the architecture.
>>
Easily Venice.

I go there every few years and loot it. Cause the primary holding is a city, it's easy to beseige and take some prisoners for ransoms and great blots.
>>
File: Ceasar.jpg (98KB, 450x592px) Image search: [Google]
Ceasar.jpg
98KB, 450x592px
Since you didn't specify time period, the Republic of Rome.
>>
>>566977
Milan is such a mysterious city to me because there is so little english scholarship on the subject because it never had the "muh republic" like Florence or Venice. But from what little I've read, it had a dynamic economy and industry longer than either Florence or Venice (say, from 1300 onward or so), great culture and visionary state builders. Genoa also interests me also because its less studied than venice but with an equally interesting republican set up.
>>
>>569335
/thread
>>
>>568564
senpai, Florence was never more than a Roman small town or military outpost. Read Gene Brucker's "Renaissance Florence" for a great introduction to the city-state as it is famously known.
>>
>>569335
>not Atemnae

Romaniggers get out and gib back women
>>
>>569359
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Ambrosian_Republic
>>
>>569403
Italian transitionary states really had the best names
>>
>>569403
interesting stuff, I vaguely recall reading about it. However, there's no doubt that Florentines and Venetians had so-called republics for longer periods of time. Florentine republicanism was especially popularized by Hans Baron from the 1930s and then in America when he got his work translated in the late 40s/early 50s. Venetian republicanism or "mixed state" has been a meme since the league of cambrai in the early 16th century. I'm pretty sure that Milan has been characterized as something of a vigorous proto-absolutist state whose vigorous economy epitomized northern italian dyanism vs. southern italian feudalism/barony. These are all stereotypes, but they have an enduring influence on scholarship.
>>
File: 1442943471808.jpg (125KB, 1105x1135px) Image search: [Google]
1442943471808.jpg
125KB, 1105x1135px
Patrician hymn tbqh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCNf1k0Be_o
>>
recommend me a good book on Venice /his/
>>
>>569878
if you have an ereader, or if you can download a kindle app on your computer, heres a copy of an annotated bibliography on venice:

https://mega.nz/#!k0wDybbT!BIFpVzjdksHufBNTHIjHlnKVAngNFAK5LlW5phH96Lg

alternatively heres another similar one on maritime venice you don't need to download, but with less variety as far as i see:

here's a bibliography on milan to 1535 for anyone interested, though most of the works in it are in italian baka
http://pastebin.com/bmBk3E3u
>>
>>570101
one on florence:
https://mega.nz/#!M0RWCAza!PDDDLcYgq4ds_fVpTjETZE-0bU7FuSXYX4cnA_w1MR4
>>
>>566977
Urbino for the splendid court
Milano for the dinamism
The two Sicilies for the unique melting pot
Venezia for the thalassocracy
>>
>>566977
SERENISSIMA LIBERA!
>>
>>568601
I totally expected such a post. Still, well done.
>>
>>566977
Neo-Venezia
>>
>>566977
Fuck off Austin
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.