[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will English ever be replaced as the global lingua franca?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 5

File: Anglo.png (39KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Anglo.png
39KB, 2000x1000px
Will English ever be replaced as the global lingua franca?
>>
One day we may engineer a pigeon language that is easy to learn yet effective, kind like the language in the Culture science fiction series.
>>
English has only been the lingua franca for a relatively short period of time and the countries responsible for making it so are in decline. Latin is the most 'successful' language in history.
>>
How big chance is it that mandarin would turn into the next lingua franca? Has there been any research on this?
>>
>>566194
Unlikely. China has a fuckload of English speakers.
>>
>>566162
they tried to do that with esperanto and as hoped, no one bothered in learning it.
>>
>>566142
100 years from now, we'll speak something like Java or C++.
>>
>>566183
>the countries responsible for making it so

The country*
America
French was still the lingua franca at the height of the British Empire
>>
>>566142
Дa
>>
>>566142
never

English forever and ever 100 years
>>
>>566254

These aren't more efficient modes of communication. They're the only way to interface between logical human thought and computer thought.
>>
>>566254
>third-generation languages existing in 100 years

I don't think so.
>>
>>566292
You're dumb.
>>
>>566142

Not in anyone today's lifetime.

>>566194

Low, it's hard to learn (not that English isn't but at least English isn't tonal). Most educated Chinese speak English in varying degrees. You're also assuming the dragon is going to keep rising.
>>
>>566183
Latin wasn't anywhere near as widespread as English though. And even if Anglo countries are declining, that doesn't mean English is going anywhere, since everyone already speaks it.
>>
>>566325
>not that English isn't
English is easy as fuck m8.
>>
>>566262
yes, language of diplomacy = language of trade.
>>
>>566332
>Latin wasn't anywhere near as widespread as English though.

Still far more influential. English itself borrows a third of its vocabulary from Latin.
>>
>>566334

Yes and no. It has some easy points, no der die das etc. It also has a fuck ton of homonyms and homophones which can be pretty confusing to non native speakers.
>>
File: 1451686933461.jpg (52KB, 500x355px) Image search: [Google]
1451686933461.jpg
52KB, 500x355px
>>566345
Not even a third in medical articles.
>>
>>566345
>English itself borrows a third of its vocabulary from Latin.

Most of Romance words in English came through French rather than directly from Latin
And it was because French nobles ruled England from 1066 to 1485, nothing to do with Latin's statut
>>
>>566355
Not him, but that's wrong. Most came directly from Latin, and in the 16th-17th century.
>>
File: engli.png (84KB, 799x528px) Image search: [Google]
engli.png
84KB, 799x528px
>>566349
Nice cherrypicked exemples
Here's for the overall language
>>
>>566356
No, you're the one who's wrong

Commonly used Romance words in English language are from French (forest, river, mountain, city, country, person, people, place, use, language...etc)
The words that come directly from Latin are way more technical and less commonly used (virus, anus, calculus, forum, millenium...etc)
>>
>>566373
fuck cunt go come shit eat
>>
>>566373
>anus
>virus
>not commonly used

Maybe not by you, loser.
>>
>>566227
Not as many as you would expect. As i travelled through China I found I could go days without finding someone who spoke any english at all.
>>
>>566162
English already is that language though.
>>
>>566142
It would be cool if Hymnos would become global language
The whole "every sentence you say also tell your emotions and opinions" would make miscommunication way rarer
Too bad it's nearly impossible

And to answer OP I heard Chinese is getting way more popular lately
>>
>>566357
>Numerous sets of statistics have been proposed to demonstrate the proportionate origins of English vocabulary. None as yet, is considered definitive by most linguists

>HURR DURR I'M GOING TO POST ONE GRAPH THAT I THINK SHOWS THE ORIGINS OF ENGLISH 100% I'M NEVER WRONG HURRRR

God, you're so stupid
>>
>>566476
Not really, English is pretty bullshit in some cases, we just learn it because how exposed we are to it.
>>
>>566476
English is a horrible language. One day we may engineer an actually decent language.
>>
>>566855
English is an excellent language dumdum
>>
>>566142
Yes,with arabic
>>
>>566194
Not a chance. The PRC, while big, powerful, and becoming gradually richer, doesn't have what it takes to be a cultural superpower. At the very best they can hope to be top dogs in economy and military might, but keep on consuming western or westernized culture (and science too for that matter).
>>
During the globalization of the world, English became the lingua franca for connected reasons. For anything to take it's place the world would need to crumble and rise again. As happened with Ancient Greek and Latin, who were replaced by French and later English.

So no, nothing except for violent upheaval will replace English.
>>
English is the first global language.

Previous lingua francas like French, Latin and Greek were replaced because a more distant region which did not use the language much became more powerful.

Unless the martians invade and impose their language, English will likely remain the lingua franca.

More likely we will start genetically modifying people to become superhumans with savant-like abilities who will promptly construct a new language that improves the efficiency of their communication and learn it very quickly. A living language that is constantly changing and improving and which only they can keep up with.
>>
>>568308
French was pretty widspread as a lingua franca
in early 20th century, Russian and Japanese diplomats discussed in French.
The thing with French is that it was a lingua franca for the cultured elites only.

Meanwhile, thank to the popularization of new mass media that happened at the moment English replaced French after WW2 (Hollywood, pop music and later the internet) English was the first lingua franca to be so widspread to the masses (common people) all over the world
>>
Is "English is a bastard language" really true in comparison to other European languages? Seems like bullshit.
>>
File: ggg.jpg (153KB, 1012x551px) Image search: [Google]
ggg.jpg
153KB, 1012x551px
>>568374
It's true mostly because of the French input
English was initially a Germanic language like Dutch, Danish or Norwegian, but then it received large chunks of French vocabulary between 1066 and 1485, turning it into the weird mix it is now.
>>
Chinese isn't one of the main contenders though, Spanish and French both have a better chance at replacing English.
>>
>>568374
It's basically half Germanic half French. Other major languages are all overwhelmingly from a single (either Latin or Germanic) stock.
>>
>>568487
Only Spanish has a chance once it becomes the first language of the US in 50 years from now (provided the US keep their cultural hegemon statut)
>>
>>566357
your graph is cherry picked, it shows the words in the dictionary not the word usage

you could have 1000 names for dinosaurs derived from latin but it isn't as significant as all the everyday germanic words
>>
>>568490
English is a pure creole. Why people think otherwise is beyong me
>>
>>568360
ok that is true, I humbly accept your correction, French was replaced by a more powerful socioeconomic strata (britbong and americuck businessmen) rather than a rival state
>>
>>566194
Not likely. To hard to learn, and despite what some people may say, China isn't actually going to become a super power anytime soon. Their economy is both to volatile and to dependent on their main military competition, though they are slowly developing a consumer economy.
And on the military side, they have a lot of troops and that's about it. They don't even have two aircraft carriers. And america routinely drives ships around the various islands that the PRC, japan and the ASEAN fight over just to remind everyone whose really in charge.
The only thing the PRC is really good at is PR
>>
>>568289
There's no doubt that they will catch up in science, but you have a point with culture.
>>
>>568527
Because you're linguistically ignorant.
>>
>>567122
I before e. Except when there's a feisty heist on weird beige foreign neighbors, because either caffeine strung atheists are reinventing protein at their leisure, or plebeians will deign to forfeit.
>>
File: 1370744101932.gif (993KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1370744101932.gif
993KB, 250x250px
>doesn't realize English's strength is its ability to assimilate other languages
>>
>>568612
Science requires some minimal degree of creativity, especially the more abstract fields like theoretical physics. The Chinese are basically good engineers that are good in replicating and, ehrm, "receiving inspirations" from existing designs, but they're shit in originality.
>>
>>566481
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x9659rDhXGg
>>
>>569507
Aside from French (which they were forced to assimilate because they literally colonized England), what other languages has English even assimilated?
>>
>>566481
>"every sentence you say also tell your emotions and opinions"
You can do it in non-video game languages too you know.
>>
>>569534

Latin.
>>
>>569546
What

The Latin in English is mostly for technical and scientific terms.
>>
>>568527

Because it isn't, you retard.

There was this one autistic cunt who actually argued this with his historical linguistics professor, IN CLASS, and wouldn't shut the fuck up. "English-is-a-creole" faggots are the worst.
>>
>>569557

So absorbed into English, just like a large number of Norse and Greek and Spanish words.

Compare that to French, which they try and keep pure and uncorrupted, the English language constantly absorbs new words and phrases from other languages and constantly develops.
>>
>>566142
it will devolve into endless gibberish of bae senpai m8 shitspeak but it's likely that it will stay here
>>
>>566242
Esperanto is actually hugely successful. With a quarter million million speakers, it's the worlds largest artificial language by far.
Sure it never achieved its goal to become the new global lingua franca (and won't probably ever), but that's also quite a huge ambition. Just becauseit failed at that doesn't make it a failure.
>>
>>566855
Reminder that English is actually ahead of the curve, and may even regain things like noun cases and complex verb conjugations while other languages are reaching their "English" phase
>>
>>570583
>implying everyone wont be speaking English daughter languages by then
>>
>>570583
Agglutination is up next after isolating.
>>
>>570583
That all sounds even more complex. We should make English easier to learn.
>>
>>570629
>English becomes the new PIE on a global scale
I like it
>>570632
We Turkish now
>>
>>566183
Latin will be the language of Europe.
>>
>>570685
Was*
>>
>>570699
It's the question of only one generation.
>>
>>569534
The languages of the Germanic settlers (Vikings and pre-Vikings), a touch of the Celtic languages of Britain, and pieces of Latin.
>>
>>569607
t. english native speaker with, at most, a passing knowledge of french

Most european languages have a fuckton of latin influence and most constantly absorb new words, especially english ones

And even the rare autistic organisations like the dutch and french language academies can stop the development of their respective languages.
>>
>>570783
can't stop*
>>
>>570783
I don't think the Academy ever had the goal to stop the evolution of language.
>>
>>570829
Probably not, but as far as I've heard, the Dutch academy tries to act as an arbitrator on language (for example, which agglutinated words are accepted into the dictionary and become "official" as it were).

This is in contrast to english for example, where there's no real central linguistic authority.

Ultimately, of course, it's a futile endeavour, they can't prevent a word from being used.
>>
>>570856
I always laugh at the notion of academies like that. They can't possibly think what they're doing is useful in anyway?
>>
>>570860
The French academicians have nice swords. I wonder if these old farts play with it when we don't see them.
>>
>>570860
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_Acad%C3%A9mie_fran%C3%A7aise

Funny how there isn't and wasn't ever a single linguist in the Academy
>>
You cant be an international pilot if you cant speak english - its the go-to language of Air Traffic Control. Fact.
>>
Half of everything in Paris is written in English, and half the people spoke english.
I was actually shocked.
>>
>>570893
Top kek
>>
>>570904
the city is literally one big tourist attraction though
>>
There will cease to be a lingua franca when universal translators are properly developed and adopted.

I don't think that will take long enough for English to be replaced.
>>
>>568518
French probably has a better chance than Spanish, depending on how France, Europe, and French Africa fare.
>>
>>566194
It is way too complicated to learn even if china becomes the dominant power in the world.
>>
>>569534
In minor ways it's been assimilating shit from Spanish, Italian and formerly Chinese in the U.S.
>>
Yes.
>>
>>570679
>English becomes new PIE
>Linguists are studying it
>"Sir they have 20 words for banter what could it mean"
>"Their culture must have been based around banter, this must have been their sucess, what a language!"
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.