[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does the past "exist"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9

File: really makes you think.jpg (43KB, 446x456px) Image search: [Google]
really makes you think.jpg
43KB, 446x456px
Does the past "exist"?
>>
>>563567

I have pictures of it.
>>
Only God can see the past, present and future at will. This is because He is outside of time.

We are constrained in time, we always live in the present.
>>
Is time fundamentally non-linear, but only perceived by us as being linear? Hard to say desu
>>
Only the past exists
>>
You might be better off consulting a science book for this topic.
>>
>>563567
Past is just an illusion the God made as he create and annihilate his creation.

t. Ghazali
>>
>>563578
>Only God can see the past
Why are christians so retarded?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNNTcHq5Tzk
>>
>>563567
It did.
>>
>>563578
Every fucking thread that's even a little philosophical immediately gets shitters going "GOD DOES IT. IT'S ALL GOD" and not even giving any insight into the OP

I'm not against faith and I don't consider professor your faith "shoving it down my throat" but this shit is just fucking obnoxious. We all know you goatfuckers think it's all God. You don't need to tell us. Just let us have our discussions
>>
>>563567
Present: What exists at t
Past: What existed at t-1
Future: What will exist at t+1

This doesn't need to be complicated.
>>
>>564516
Why minus one and not two?
>>
>>564532
t+x and t-x if you prefer. Or t++ and t--. It doesn't matter.
>>
>>564516
>Present: What exists
>Past: What existed
>Future: What will exist
>This doesn't need to be complicated.
>>
>>564516
>>564578

Past: What existed at t minus alpha
Future: What will exist t plus alpha
Far Past: What no longer existed at t minus alpha
Past Future: What did not yet exist t minus alpha
Future Past: What will no longer exist at t plus alpha
Far Future: What will not yet exist at t plus alpha

This doesn't need to be complicated
>>
>>563573
No, you don't. You may have material images of specific points in time and apace, but you do not have pictures of "the past".
>>
File: causality_violation_101.png (492KB, 2000x2042px) Image search: [Google]
causality_violation_101.png
492KB, 2000x2042px
>>563567
Scientifically speaking, yes. Time travel is still theoretically possible. Everyone on /sci/ will flip out over "muh causality!" but both Relativity and Quantum Physics postulate that causal violations are possible, and, so far, everything in Relativity, at least, has turned out to be a thing (even if there's sometimes some fudging involved). Thus, much like Black Holes, it's most likely just a matter of time (sic) before we manage to observe such an event. (And on that topic, Hawking Radiation more or less demands it happens regularly.)

For the nitty gritties, yonder:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1401.0167v1.pdf

If it is a thing, in the grand scheme of things, looking from a non-linear point of view, it isn't really a causality violation. There's still cause and effect, action and reaction - they are just happening out of order. Yes, there's the ol' grandfather paradox, but Douglas Adams could have been on to something - it doesn't happen, because it couldn't have happened - and the whole universe just works it all out like some crazed jigsaw puzzle. (Besides, insomuch as this is possible at all, we're talking particles, not people. The only issues comes in when you start to wonder about information transfer.)

Leaving science aside though... Philosophically speaking? Who the fuck knows.
>>
>>563567
it once did
>>
>>564160
Notice how no one responds to your logical post?

This is the same as getting a response that says, "no, we're going to keep interrupting any intelligible conversation because you're not going to do anything about it but complain".
>>
>>563567
No, it existed.
>>
Only the present exists.

Time is just the rate at which the present changes
>>
>>564620
Present Past: What no longer exists at t
Present Future: What does not yet exist at t
Past: What existed at t-α
Far Past: What no longer existed at t-α
Past Future: What did not yet exist at t-α
Future: What will exist at t+α
Future Past: What will no longer exist at t+α
Far Future: What will not yet exist at t+α

This doesn't need to be complicated
>>
>>564677
THEN WHO WAS PAST?
>>
File: Wibbley-wobbley-DAMNITALL.png (102KB, 467x700px) Image search: [Google]
Wibbley-wobbley-DAMNITALL.png
102KB, 467x700px
>>564688
>>564620
>>564516
Past Exists.
Future Exists.
You are currently experiencing @ t.

But it's more fun to make it complicated.
>>
>>564516
>This doesn't need to be complicated.

Holy fuck kill yourself you smarmy piece of shit.

And OP, the past, the future, and the present are the same thing; it's all one eternal present.
>>
>>564677
this.
time is actually just the duration of periodical transformation
>>
>>563567
>tfw ayyliens 2.5k light years away are currently watching ancient greeks buttfugg

ebin :^)
>>
File: kim.png (666KB, 1126x845px) Image search: [Google]
kim.png
666KB, 1126x845px
>be anon at a point in time

>anon perceives the states of stars years and years old
>anon hears about the events that already happened, but the news of which took time to reach him
>anon perceives the world directly around him, but with the minimal delay caused by the travel of light, brain processing and what not
>anon perceives his own thoughts, but again with a minimal delay caused by brain processing

>'current moment'

>anon decides to act: move his hand or whatever
>anon's hand presses a trigger on an a-bomb or something
>anon will only perceive his very own action after a certain delay caused by the information travelling, muscles firing up and the similar
>anons around him perceive the explosion after a very short delay
>anons further away find out only after they see the cloud, hear the news, see the missiles launching or whatever
>ayyliens see it after years and years
>>
>>564677
>Only the present exists.
Everything you call "the present" does not exist because, by the time your brain reacts to it, it's already in the past.
>>
>>563573
>>563578
/thread
>>
>>564628
>specific points in time and apace
>the past
What's the difference
>>
>>563567
From a scientific theoretical stand point, you're entire life is simply a long structure through spacetime that all exists at once. It's just that you can only experience pieces of it at a time.
>>
File: Untitled.png (716KB, 500x641px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
716KB, 500x641px
>>565050
>We live in the past
>>
>>564160
>>564643

You do realize saying 'God does it' in this instance is a perfectly viable answer?

I also take it you didn't realize you contradict yourself in your own saltiness

> "I don't mind it when people share their faith"

*OP posts a philosophy thread, someone replies with their opinion*

> "WOW HOW DARE YOU EXPRESS A BELIEF THAT I DO NOT FUCK YOU YOU SHITPOSTING TROGLODYTE LOOK HOW LOGICAL I AM"
>>
File: give her the dick.jpg (13KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
give her the dick.jpg
13KB, 640x480px
>>566872

Well I forgot to add my own opinion to my last post, but here goes.

Time and space are profoundly intertwined, and how we experience them can vary profoundly on certain factors, most of which don't exist on Earth so they're pretty much negligible from a human perspective.

However, travelling at the speed of light would age you considerably less by essentially making you move 'slower' through time in relation to someone stuck on regular Earth.

This reaches its apex with black holes. Basically, if you were to fall into a black hole's event horizon and looked out, you would see the entirety of time compress into the blink of an eye because of the absurd gravitational effects the black hole has on light (theoretically, you would be very dead/non-existent/*something* before this, but the principle remains)

tl;dr time is relative and defining what is past/present/future is more a philosophical question than a scientific one.
>>
>>564516
What the fuck? So do all times t' such that t-1< t' <t doesn't exist? Do people actually think time is discrete? Why are there so many retards pretending to understand physical/mathematical concepts on /his/?
>>
>>566975
Understanding physics and math is scientism.
>>
File: sonya_eating_shit.png (508KB, 594x458px) Image search: [Google]
sonya_eating_shit.png
508KB, 594x458px
>>564629
>thinks entanglement violates causality
>thinks mixed quantum states can be interpreted as separate quantum states
>thinks quantum physics somehow throws Einstein causality out the window
>cites a serious flaw of quantum mechanics (which is one of the motivations for the development of quantum field theory) as evidence for causality being false
>doesn't actually knows what quantum mechanics postulates
>using [sic] wrongly
>doesn't know that grandfather's "paradox" is resolved by taking into account constant acceleration, not by some meme author who just handwaves it away
>doesn't know that causality is an extremely fundamental mathematical property of the wave equation
Literally crossboarding cancer.
>>
File: image.jpg (64KB, 578x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64KB, 578x800px
Time is just the sequential order that out mind imposes on that which, independently of time, is.

- K.
>>
>>563573
BULLSHIT
>>
>>563567
Is OP a worthless piece of trash who should consider killing himself?
>>
Depends what you mean by exist desu
>>
>>566872
I'm sorry you lack the basic communication skills to resolve the apparent contradiction but I'll clarify for your sake

>I don't mind when people share their faith in a venue in which their particular faith gives contestation beyond simply the validity of theism, e.g. threads about faith, or threads about philosophy where specific mechanics that contradict each other in different religious traditions give insight to the theory and deployment of the philosophical topic
>I do mind when people come into a thread where the ONLY insight they have to offer is "UHHHH GOD"

Notice how we learn LITERALLY NOTHING about the thread topic from this post >>563578 other than that this anon believes in God. It's no different from going into a thread about evolution on /sci/ and saying "NUH UH, IT'S GOD."
>>
What is existence and how do we find out what it is? Does existence exist? Did I drink my pills last night?
>>
File: heh.png (145KB, 364x492px) Image search: [Google]
heh.png
145KB, 364x492px
>>563567
No OP it doesn't exist, however it has existed.
>>
>>563567
Only the end state of the future exists. Everything else is fundamentally intangible.
>>
>>566975
Are you implying time cannot be divided into discrete units?
>>
>>563567
Time is just a concept.

Time and space always go together.
You always give a time with a space and a space with a time.

You don't say meet castle - WHEN?
Meet 9 am - WHERE?

If you would be in a white box you would not be aware time is passing - the only manifestation of the arrow of time inside you would be cells replicating.. hence you becoming older.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdTMuivYF30
>>
>>568819
>people actually believe this
>doesn't know what the consequences are if time were discrete
>tries to sound like what he's taking about
Typical /sci/tard
>>
>>563567
Of course, our present and future is directly affected by events in the past as well as abstract memories, thus it exists, because materialism is gay.
>>
>>564516
No, it isn't -- otherwise English, French and other such languages wouldn't have so many tenses.
>>
>>564160
I'm rather new to /his/, how did this even become religionfags central?
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.