[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would the world be different today if religion never had

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

File: Biology1.jpg (267KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Biology1.jpg
267KB, 1024x768px
How would the world be different today if religion never had existed, and instead a major world wide focus on science took its place?

This is a hypothetical history thread.

Would we be 1000 years more advanced?
>>
You have to be 18 or over to post here.
>>
>>560845
Nice meme. Take your own advice though.
>>
>How would the world be different today if religion never had existed

The world would be much less rich without mythology and great works of human imagination

On the other hand senseless cruelty born from superstition like human sacrifice wouldn't occur.

There would need to be some educated organization to gather knowledge without the work of early monks and priests

Overall nothing would really change. Humans are assholes when it suits us.

>major world wide focus on science took its place
We'd probably be a bit more advanced if the actual "Scientific Method" took off during the stone age
>>
OP religion came into being becUse ancient man had no concept of science. So he made things up to be the causes for things he didnt understand.
>>
File: gobekli.jpg (103KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
gobekli.jpg
103KB, 600x450px
I'm trying to imagine a "world wide focus on science" making hunter-gatherers stop stealing from each other and dedicating time with their children at Gobekli Tepe.

I can't.
>>
Errmmm, seeing as 98% of the inventions ever invented came from White Christians of Germanic and Anglo-Saxon descent, probably not much. Freeing the masses of their religious beliefs wouldn't give them a massive IQ boost. And it wouldn't make society any more harmonious. People have plenty of reasons to exploit each other.

I think a more interesting question would be how much more advanced (technologically) would we be if we never abandoned laissez-faire free market capitalism.
>>
A world without religion would be so alien to no longer qualify as (alternate) history, or the field of the humanities.
>>
That's a useless question because religion/spirituality is part of human nature.

That's like asking how the world would be today if sex never existed, or eating never existed, or breathing never existed.
>>
>>560878
*Tips Fedora*
>>
>>560901
He isn't wrong though
>>
>>560887
>What is the middle ages and advances in the middle east in science and math.

Your Eurocentrism is showing.
>>
>>560887
1/10

You're a shitty troll and you'd do better to hawk that one on /pol/

I fuck with Ayurveda medicine
>>
>>560911
Science was developed by religious people who wished to know more about the universe.

"Skeptic" plebs like yourselves were busy rolling in their own shit. Literally.
>>
>>560939
I'm saying he isn't wrong about how, people made things up to explain things they didn't undertand e.g. Religion.

Not sure why you're projecting so hard though, lol.
>>
>muh science is better than yours
>your science is evil, so i must kill you

people like to put things over pedestals and kill eachother OP
>>
>>560919
Imports from India?

But seriously, Monks have helped in advancing science, so if we should blame anyone from slowing the inventions it should be Henry VIII with getting rid of monks in Britain, and Romanesque period, when they had massive boner for Ancient Rome and Greece, and massive hateboner for Medieval Europe, which led to having to reinvent stuff that already existed in medieval times.
>>
>>560830
We would all be dead since eventually we would have invented A.I with above human level intelligence that kills us and takes over the planet.
>>
>>560887
>98% of the inventions ever invented came from White Christians
The majority of practical inventions came from China and the Indus Valley.
>>
>>560939
Many of the thinkers who produced modern science were outright atheists or agnostic
>>
>>561004
Most scientist in the ancient past were religious because they didnt know any better and would probably be killed by the mongoloids for not believing in their fairy tales.
>>
How about hermeticism and other occult societies that were hunted down by the church?
>>
>>561008
Eh, not so black/white

Obviously most were born into their religion and just assumed it was true, later trying to make their findings fit the religion.

Others were genuine believers.
>>
File: science religion.png (282KB, 1000x670px) Image search: [Google]
science religion.png
282KB, 1000x670px
>>561004
>>561008
>>
There wouldn't even be a science right now if Arabs and Christian monks didn't preserve ancient Greek texts you mongoloid. Also I think it's hilarious how religion pre-1900 is reduced to "those retards thought Zeus made lightning lmfao" while completely ignoring it's transcendent dimension and wealth of wisdom writings

Just once I'd like to debate with a Fedora who actually knows his shit and isn't a fucking reddit drone
>>
>>561069
Humans were doing science the moment they realised that rubbing stuff together makes fire. Science is just trial and error so a science based world would be one based on assumptions, unlike religion in this world all religious beliefs would have been tested before hand then considered false if proven false.
>>
File: Religion threads.png (137KB, 1010x274px) Image search: [Google]
Religion threads.png
137KB, 1010x274px
>>561081
>all religious beliefs would have been tested before hand then considered false if proven false.
You don't test "religious beliefs"...
>>
The belief that religion and science are incompatible is fictitious. Nearly all scientists were religious. Science needs more religion and religion needs more science.
>>
>>561086
Yes you do if you are smart, however religious morons use muh faith to disregard any attempt to test the religious belief.
>>
>>561031
>Who is Stephen Hawking?
>Who is James Watson?
>Who is Erwin Schrödinger?
>>
>>561091
What does religion have to offer anybody now?

What?

If everyone stopped believing in the supernatural what would change?
>>
>>561097
It helps idiots not commit suicide at how spiritually numb reality actually is, I mean most people dont realize they are just talking carbon animated by various electromagnetic phenomenon.
>>
>>561097
Religion right now is the most important aspect in developed nations, especially the west. We are going through spiritual tribulations, nihilism is a huge problem. Religion is honestly the biggest problem we face in the world. There needs to be an ethical framework in place.
>>
>>561101
>muh christianity
Humans dont need religion to be ethical only retards do.
>>
>>561086
while I agree with the sentiment of that image, many of the christians i've met interpret those stories in a literal sense, as though they're proper history. not even an atheist, but I live in a fairly rural area so that may be part of it.
>>
>>561104
>only retards do
Sounds like you'd fill the position perfectly.
>>
>>561081
>testing the transcendent
>trying to falsify a metaphysical being in a closed system
>hurr durr if only they did science heh

You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about
>>
>>561104
I don't advocate Christianity. I think we need a global New Age occultism based religion in synthesis with science.
>>
>>561101
>I mean these retards don't even get Beethoven's 5th is just made up of individual notes! Heh what are they getting so excited about heh

Fucking clown. What something is made of invalidates all value and meaning, yah great argument brosef go back to reddit
>>
>>561112
What part of God not existing outside "His" Creation (said closed system) do you not understand?
>>
>>561110
Wrong christian retard I have alot of self control meaning I dont need religion to restrain myself. As an atheist I know exactly how to rid the world of degenerate uncivilized behavior but you religious types call it immoral or inhumane. It involves human experimentation.
>>
>>561118
Prove God is even real or shut the fuck up.
>>
>>561118
What part of you can't know what does or doesn't exist outside of a closed system don't you understand? That's what's. closed system means you doof
>>
>>561095
>Who is Francis Bacon?
>Who is Leonardo Da Vinci?
>Who is Rene Descartes?
>Who is Isaac Newton?
>Who is Gregor Mendel?
>Who is Pierre Teilhard de Chardin?
>Who is Arthur Eddington?
>Who is Georges Lemaître?
This list is only Christians. If it were religious people in general, all the names wouldn't fit.
>>
>>561092
Read the image again.
>>
>>561119
>As an atheist I know exactly how to rid the world of degenerate uncivilized behavior
Looks like you'll be the first to go.

Keep trying kiddo.
>>
>>561141
The root of human degeneracy is due to our lack of impulse moderation, so the solution is to modify humans to possess far better impulse control and thus would end degeneracy forever.
>>
>>561145
lol. Read clockwork orange nigga and come back when you graduate high school
>>
>>561148
Crime is caused by the pleasure principle, humans do things to get pleasure so those that lack control over this instinct tend to be criminals.
>>
>>561155
So desire is the source of suffering? Sounds pretty Buddhist m8 :^)
>>
>>561155
You do know 'impulse' and such is far too entrenched over evolutionary time for 'modifying humans' to have a large effect.
>>
>>561161
also I think environmental factors/education is the main avenue of possibility.
>>
>>561161
Genetic engineering can do anything anon even completely remake our genome to make us more civilized.
>>561163
No son, impulse is the cause of human crime and violence, eduation and upbringing only affects the personality not the actual genetic impulse regulation.
>>
>>560830
If religion had never existed, we might actually be more primitive, since the initial process of forming civilized society depended heavily upon religious belief to bind people together and make them respect their leaders.

It's doubtful that we could have gotten rid of religion with no ill effects prior to the late 1600s.
>>
>>560830
This is a stupid concept. For there to be no religion there would have to be no humans. Humans make up religions. It's what we do.
>>
File: New York's thataway, man!.jpg (45KB, 500x324px) Image search: [Google]
New York's thataway, man!.jpg
45KB, 500x324px
>>560887
>>>/pol/ is thataway, man!
>>
>>561097
>What does religion have to offer anybody now?

An incredibly effect path for self-growth and introspection that can lead to a better appreciation for life and more altruism?

Well, unless you don't count those things as benefits.
>>
>>561187
And it can lead you the other way as with any ideology.
>>
>>560830
We'd be still stuck in the Stone Age.
How would you convince Mr. Obtuse Neanderthal to cooperate with you for something other than self-defense and hunting?

>A council of men like you has decided that you must not shit in the streets anymore
Who the fuck are these men? I'll keep shitting on the streets, kthxbye.

>This powerful invisible being that sometimes throws thunders on the ground told us to never shit on the streets anymore
Oh shit, let me invent the toilet!
>>
>>561193
We can't escape ideology, my friend.

We're eating from the trash can of ideology constantly.

>I already am eating from the trash can all the time. The name of this trash can is ideology. The material force of ideology makes me not see what I am effectively eating.
- Slavoj Zizek
>>
>>560845
>>560858
yikes...
>>
>>560830
You can't be human and not have some kind of religion

Religion is synonymous with culture.
>>
>>561324
Human cooperation is a very ancient trait that goes back to our days as monkeys 50 million year ago, we aid eachother because we are a social species that works together to survive. However the basis of religion is trying to explain existence without science or just feel good assumptions so religion is inevitable really.
>>
>>562014
>Religion is synonymous with culture.

Wot?
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.