[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did insect and arachnid consumption come to be seen as a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: 1437331859697.png (256KB, 636x708px) Image search: [Google]
1437331859697.png
256KB, 636x708px
Why did insect and arachnid consumption come to be seen as a taboo in the west?

Is it a holdover from Jeiwsh dietary laws? If so, then why are so many of the other dietary laws not kept? Why do westerners see other arthropods, specifically crustaceans like lobsters and crabs, as edible, even as delicacies, but not insects and arachnids?
>>
Because arthropods are fucking nasty. And I mean objectively nasty, not just a result of cultural bias, it's probably a leftover in our genetic memory from a period when our early ancestors were hunted by gigantic fucking arthropod predators for literally hundreds of millions of years.
>>
>>555218
this is a completely modern thing, peasants of the past thought nothing of insects in their food
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardtack

In colder climates you don't get as many large insects as you do in a place like Java where you have nice big crunchy crickets. This is part of it.

The association of insects with disgust probably arose with the discovery of bacteria and the development of what clean and sanitary looks like which involves zero insects of any kind, bacteria carrying flies or harmless plant eating crickets.
>>
Because bugs are gross dude, only poor people eat bugs

I seriously doubt many rich asians would eat bugs over meat
>>
>>555235
Crabs, lobsters, and shrimp are delicious. Kill yourself.
>>
>>555243
>Kill yourself

That kinda came out of nowhere lmao. Do you use it as a filler phrase?
>>
File: 1442145938642.jpg (28KB, 525x585px) Image search: [Google]
1442145938642.jpg
28KB, 525x585px
>>555248
Pretty much, yeah.
>>
>>555218
Robert Graves, White Goddess
>>
>>555243
They are gross. Deal with it.
>>
>>555218
The connection of bugs and filth doesnt help first of all, because up in the colder north with not a lot of insect variety the common bugs to see would be largely decomposers like flys and roaches which are know to stick
around unsavory thing such as feces and rotten trash.
And other, larger incects like bees wasps amd spiders are dangerous to be around.
This probably lead to the assosiation with bugs and disgust/fear.
Meanwhile in the tropics and desert there is more carnivores and herbavores which will typically grow larger and will provide more nutrition than the smaller cold climate insects.
>>
>>555218
>Why did insect and arachnid consumption come to be seen as a taboo in the west?

It's sort of taboo in a lot of places too in Asia man. It is pretty much a Tribal thing over there and you can count the number of societies that accept bug eating.
>>
>>555218
>Is it a holdover from Jeiwsh dietary laws

If i remember well it is said in New Testimony that John the Baptist ate grasshoppers while in the wilderness
>>
>>555512
From what I understand, in both Jewish and Muslim dietary law it is okay to suspend the diet if it's necessary for survival. So a Muslim would be allowed to eat pork if for some reason that was the only food available to him. I'd assume John the Baptist would be in a similar case in the wilderness.
>>
>>555218
We're inherently grossed out by it and it's associated with disease and pestilence. We don't eat rat or much raw meat either, do we?
>>
>>555555
checked
>>
>>555555
czech'd
>>
>>555555
Six 5's for genetic culinary sensibility. When my mom tells me to eat my broccoli, I'm going to tell her that I don't like it because of genetics.
Genetics is just a great excuse for everything. Seriously, though, I'm checking those fucking digits.
>>
>>555608
>pretending to be retarded
>>
I find crustaceans gross, personally.
>>
File: incan feel.jpg (178KB, 922x882px) Image search: [Google]
incan feel.jpg
178KB, 922x882px
>>555555
Y-yeah. W-we don't.
>>
They're icky yucko
>>
>>555612
It's true though. There's an actual gene some people have that makes them not like broccoli, among other foods.

And I say this as someone who fucking loves broccoli.
>>
>>555243
Gross, yes.
But delicious with a nice butter sauce.
>>
>>555239
Rich french eat snails and rich germans eat bull testicals.

Those are real food delicacies.
>>
>>555555
good work anon.
we are proud of you
>>
actually i tried eating grasshopers, they tasted ok, although i puked the first time, for i was being a faggot.
>>
>>555555
First time I see a sixtuple, congradulation.
>>
File: 6NfmQ[1].jpg (40KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
6NfmQ[1].jpg
40KB, 480x270px
>>555555
Dem sextuplets.
>>
>>555248
Are you new to 4chan?
That's literally the most common phrase here.
>>
>>555555
чэкд
>>
>>555555
check em
>>
>>555555
Checked
>>
>>555555
My gott, epic get
>>
>>555555
witnessed
>>
>>555218
>lobsters
after the expulsion of the Acadians from their fertile farm land, a lot were forced to scrape what living they could out of the atlantic on the rocky, salty coasts. They started eating lobster out of desperation, and eventually other people tried it and realized it was fucking delicious. I still remember my nan being ashamed to eat lobster, she only ever associated it with her poverty stricken youth.
>>
Taboos in general are taboos because at some point in history people decide that for some reason X is bad therefore X becomes a taboo so upcoming generations won't do it. The same applies for moral.

Why is eating insects bad? In the middle ages, the scientific method wasn't really popular and people thought that eating an insect has the same effect as being bite by one. You can guess the consequence of that. Besides, westerners had developed diets that rely on agriculture befoe ancient times even began.
>>
>>555218
Our instinct to murder any arthropod we see must be ancient genes that go back to our Ordovician days as fish when the arthropods were our main predators.
>>
>>562160
Nah bro, it's from carboniferous days were we killed them as amphibians, we just don't follow up with eating these days :^)
>>
>>562159
For most taboos it relates to a gens' sacred animal which they're only allowed to eat one day a year, or similar tribal level religious mysteries too with gender and rule.
>>
>>562159
Also worth noting that people hated and feared insects due to them eating their crops, which was the difference between making it through the winter or not for most people
>>
File: fried guinea pig.jpg (53KB, 600x325px) Image search: [Google]
fried guinea pig.jpg
53KB, 600x325px
>>555555
>>
>>562183
Also worth noting that people prone to getting their harvests eaten by insects tend to eat those same insects, for obvious reasons.
>>
>>555218
Quite simply becuse they don't have any meat.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.