[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: historical figures/events that inspired you to study history

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

File: Han the Man.jpg (23KB, 342x455px) Image search: [Google]
Han the Man.jpg
23KB, 342x455px
>2003
>was 10 y/o
>played Rome: Total War demo with Battle of Trebia
>loved idea of using elephants in battle
>find out Hannibal was real and wasn't serial killer
>went to library (I was probably the only kid that was using it by then) and pretty based librarian lady said that the only book on Hannibal they have is old as shit and don't have any images
>take it anyway
>I was blown away by the fact that anything besides Harry Potter can be a good read.

>Hannibal started not only my interest with history, but also encouraged me to read anything besides children bullshit.
>>
>>553524
How accurate is that statue?
>>
my granddad was a history teacher
when i was a kid there were no tablets PS4 and so when i wasnt playing with lego i piled up books about ww1 and ww2 and just looked at pictures for hours, than made Me109s and Hurricanes out of legos
>>
>>553524
AoE and Horrible Histories books, later Rome TW and those atlas of history type books with maps of the world (prehistoric-through to present) and the states which existed at the time.
>>
>>553524
Lived in a house that had a roman arch coming out of it and a cobbled roman road and pillars in the cellar. Now own the place for tax purposes.
>>
File: avgvstvs sails.jpg (214KB, 1500x1137px) Image search: [Google]
avgvstvs sails.jpg
214KB, 1500x1137px
A pc game called IMPERIVM II maybe.
>>
>>553524
Hannibal was cool af, I have always rooted for the underdog ever since I read about him.
>>
>>553524
Honestly, it was that extra history video series about the Second Punic War.

Sorry guys.
>>
A big encyclopedia of history I got as a birthday gift when I was 8 years old.
>>
>find out Hannibal was real and wasn't serial killer

This made me lol.
>>
>>553524
I played Rome total war too when I was young, I sucked shit
>>
Lord of the Rings, probably. i was like 8 when the first movie came out, immediately demanded archery and horseriding lessons, which I got for about 2 years/1 year respectively, where I learned that riding a horse hurts your ass bigtime and legolas made an incredibly difficult weapon seem easy. Turns out archery is incredibly difficult, but i was still totally invested in the whole swords and shields and bows warfare. Got my hands on every war movie I could, started reading picture books (like osprey), went to church and was more interested in reading biblical battles and learning what the map looked like than whatever they were actually teaching in those brainwash bible studies. Started buying historical vidya like stronghold, rtw, civilization, etc, and when we finally started studying world history in 7th grade, i was hooked, got the best grades because I was actually interested unlike everyone else in that class. Started reading real books, watching documentaries, focusing extensively of the evolution of warfare. As I learned quickly, a love of history gave me a distinct advantage in how I viewed the world because I started seeing patterns. Its all history from there on out.
>>
Empire Earth
>>
>9 years old.
>Already geared up for a life of dissapointing my father.
>Was a geek, liked nerdy stuff and reading.
>Dad was into sports, was naturally good at anything he did, and very hands on.
>Sister was quickly becoming the favorite child and I knew it.
>Dad watched the old History channel all the time, only thing we could really bond with.
>See a cool looking dude in a tank, with a bitchen hat and sand goggles.
>"Dad who's that?"
>"Erwin Rommel Anon, the Desert Fox. He was an honerable man."

I ended up spending my childhood trying to be like Rommel in every way, obsessed with him. While I have different tastes in history than my dad, We still have that reverence for good ol' Erwin.
>>
File: image.jpg (35KB, 235x346px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35KB, 235x346px
>>553524
Holy shit, are you me? Literally the exact same thing happened to me. Got pic related at the library back in 04
>>
>>555932
Too bad I don't remember what book I've reed, but I'll be visiting my hometown soon,s o maybe I'll do a quick trip to this old library if it's still open. All I remember was that it had white cover without any illustration, only text (at least in polish version)
>>
>>553524
Call of duty, finest hour. Got me interested in the actual battle of Stalingrad, which got me interested in WW2.
>>
This scamp
>>
>>554983
This
>>
>>555738
That's pretty cute, senpai. Did your father ever notice?
>>
>be in 4th grade or something
>dad buys me Civ 2
>become obsessed with the way societies work

fin
>>
File: sadness.png (332KB, 567x707px) Image search: [Google]
sadness.png
332KB, 567x707px
>friend goes to private school
>likes history, better than me because of better schooling/more study
>fuq dat
>start reading short stories, historic fiction/ proper history (scarlet pimpernel and whatnot)
>no longer smug when we got into discussions about history because of my newly acquired knowledge
>dominate each conversation
>9 years later and I'm typing this out on a Laotian Loli Lover forum.
>no more friends
i won right?
>>
>>556726
Lolno
Sister became the star player of her soccer team and valedictorian of her class. I just read a lot and became obsessed with history.
>>
>>553524

Napoleon.
>>
>>553524
I only got interested in History in the last few months. It started when I heard people online talking about how some of the crusades were actually justified. It was strange hearing that because for my entire life I only heard that the crusades were evil oppression of innocent Muslims.

So that's what got me interested for the most part. Also, I had to read some of Marco Polo for my history class last semester, and it was actually really interesting.

I'm 18 btw.
>>
My 6th grade history teacher spent a lot of time covering the American Revolution. I loved the idea of the underdog colonies defeating the great British empire. From then on I paid a lot more attention in my history classes and read history for the fun of it.
>>
>>553524
Nice blog
>>
>>553524
Dynasty Warriors senpai
>>
>>555738
Rommel makes me sad. He didn't deserve to get done like that.

"He also deserves our respect because, although a loyal German soldier, he came to hate Hitler and all his works, and took part in the conspiracy of 1944 to rescue Germany by displacing the maniac and tyrant. For this he paid the forfeit of his life. In the sombre wars of modern democracy chivalry finds no place." -Churchill

Are there other people who were kinda "good guys on the bad guys side" and got dustbinned by history? I can't think of any offhand.
>>
>>554902
italy?
>>
>>553524
>>553524

con't

>I loved Hannibal so much, I had read all the epics and ballads
>I pray to Hannibal every night before bed, thanking him for the life I've been given
>"Hannibal is love" I say; "Hannibal is life"
>My dad hears me and calls me a faggot, says Hamilicar was obviously the superior general
>I know he was just jealous of my devotion for Hannibal and the Carthaginian empire
>I called him a cunt
>He slaps me and sends me to go to sleep
>I'm crying now, and my face hurts
>I lay in bed and it's really cold
>Suddenly, a warmth is moving towards me
>It's Hannibal Barca
>I am so happy
He whispers into my ear "I'm going to march my elephants over your Alps."
>He grabs me with his powerful Carthaginian hands and puts me down onto my hands and knees
>I'm ready
>I spread my ass-cheeks for Hannibal
>He penetrates my defenses
>It hurts so much but I do it for the glory of Carthage
>I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water
>I push against his force
>I want to please Hannibal
>He roars in a mighty roar as he fills my butt with his love
>My dad walks in
>Hannibal looks him straight in the eyes and says "God has given to man no sharper spur to victory than to penetrate your son"
>Hannibal leaves through my window
>Hannibal is love. Hannibal is life.
>>
File: Hannibal the Based.jpg (944KB, 3741x2490px) Image search: [Google]
Hannibal the Based.jpg
944KB, 3741x2490px
>>560090
OP here, I wouldn't mind.
>>
>>553524
It probably started somewhere before I was 6 man.

I have a grandpa with a military background and a brain like an encyclopedia of tales like Robin Hood, Mutiny on the Bounty, Batavia, Native American stuff.
>>
10th grade world history. It was the first time I learned about history in school that wasn't either straight american or Eurocentric. I was amazed by all the unique cultures and vowed to study more.
>>
>>557264
you're like me, but my sister went from soccer star to knocked up so yeah.
>>
>>555566
Checked
>>
>>560042
Robert E. Lee
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.