[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was there any cooler unit that war elphants? I don't think so.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10

File: hannibal_Elephants_copy_6137.jpg (76KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
hannibal_Elephants_copy_6137.jpg
76KB, 350x350px
Was there any cooler unit that war elphants? I don't think so.
>>
>>552506
t.barca
>>
File: 2660113.jpg (71KB, 594x520px) Image search: [Google]
2660113.jpg
71KB, 594x520px
>>552506
>>
berserkers
>>
>>552506
Impis
>>
Cataphracts 2bhaych
>>
File: i_have_no_idea.gif (1MB, 330x292px) Image search: [Google]
i_have_no_idea.gif
1MB, 330x292px
>>552531
what in the fuck are berserkers?
>>
>>552531
didn't exist
>>
>>552538
wow heavy cavalry so original get the fuck out with that pleb bullshit
>>
File: husaria2.jpg (100KB, 930x351px) Image search: [Google]
husaria2.jpg
100KB, 930x351px
>>552506
Polish heavy cavalry-Husaria
>>
>>552544
Norse super soldiers sent into a frenzy with various means of which nobody today is certain

>>552549

yes they did
>>
>>552506
As a big fan of elephants, yes there were plenty cooler. But a unit more terrifying to fight if you had no idea what an elephant was? Absolutely.
>>
>>552582
The primary mean was amanita muscaria. How they consumed it is up to debate.
>>
>>552587
>plenty

such as?
>>
>>552531
>Norse bearman meme
They didn't exist, stop posting this.
>>
>>552558
>heavy cavalry covered head to toe in nigh impenetrable scale mail
>not cool
>>
>>552615

yes, because hundreds of years of historical research is just thrown down the drain because one historian claims they don't exist.

that's not how it works, lay off. berserkers existed, the only thing in doubt is wether they got their rage from shrooms or something else (as testing with shrooms have proven to be... not that effective)
>>
>>552506
>lorica segmentata
>during the punic wars
Triggered.
>>
File: 1446483011190.jpg (12KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1446483011190.jpg
12KB, 500x375px
>>552745
Kek

First thing I thought too
>>
>>552591
>>552582
>>552531
Absolutely no proof that they existed. In fact they almost certainly didn't, at least not in that capacity.
>>
>>552643
>their
berserker literally means bear shirt though pham

it can be interpreted as someone (note: an individual) who went into a frenzied killing rage during battle or someone just wearing a bear shirt
>>
>>552616
war elephants covered head to toe in plate and scale are cooler
>>
File: Han the Man.jpg (23KB, 342x455px) Image search: [Google]
Han the Man.jpg
23KB, 342x455px
>>552506
of course not.
>>
>>552819

>it can be interpeted

yes and Hastati means Spearman. Yet they wield a sword. It is this later type of soldier we refer to when using the term.

Peltast means someone who wields a Pelte shield. Yet when we say it, we refer to light infantry.

When we say Berserker, both you and I know what we're referring to, so stop being asperging around.
>>
>>552574
Literally reddit: the military unuit
>>
>Although the 23rd Headquarters Special Troops consisted of only 1,100 soldiers, the contingent used equipment pioneered by British forces such as dummy tanks and artillery, fake aircraft and giant speakers broadcasting the sounds of men and artillery to make the Germans think it was upwards of a two-division 30,000 man force. The unit's elaborate ruses helped deflect German units from the locations of larger allied combat units.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Army
>>
>>552574
The wings were ceremonial.
>>
Any of the Byzantine ships with Greek for
>>
>>553496
Sure helped him in zama, eh?
>>
>>555378
everyone loses sometimes you dumb negromancer and a homo
>>
>>555427

not based Alexander

AGAINST ELEPHANTS LOLOLOL
>>
>>552811
Hmm.. There were several berserkers at the battle of stamford bridge:

>"Harald's army flew the banner at the Battle of Stamford Bridge, where it was carried by a warrior named FrĂ­rek. After Harald was struck by an arrow and killed, his army fought fiercely for possession of the banner, and some of them went berserk in their frenzy to secure the flag. In the end the "magic" of the banner failed, and the bulk of the Norwegian army was slaughtered, with only a few escaping to their ships.[31]"

"Berserk" is something you do more than something you are, same with "Viking", they are verbs often misinterpreted as nouns.
>>
>>555469
My love

is like a truck
>>
>>552811

that's silly they're mentioned in numerous sagas
>>
>>555491
there are also witches, shapeshifters and Jotunn mentioned in numerous sagas
>>
>>555593

There are also archeological findings the support the idea of "warriors of odin" etc, etc,

We know they existed.
>>
File: C3gC08u.png (33KB, 899x547px) Image search: [Google]
C3gC08u.png
33KB, 899x547px
>>555609
source would be appreciated
>>
>>555625
>>
File: 6206541802_3dc11d3886_b.jpg (457KB, 1024x821px) Image search: [Google]
6206541802_3dc11d3886_b.jpg
457KB, 1024x821px
>>555625

geez

I dont have to go further than wikipedia,

and that's excluding the sagas

in addition
>>
>>555664
that's not even the type of shield they apparently used and wikipedia calls them mythical warriors so yeah

no evidence
>>
>>555685

>sagas
>chess pieces
>vendel era wood carving

don't quit your day job
>>
>>555690
>vendel era
as usual a vikingboo can't even spell
>sagas
there is one about witch who raised army of undead and monsters do you think they existed as well?
>>
>>555696

You said "no evidence" of which there is plenty. The sagas are of course considered historical sources, don't be daft.

If you persist, I can only admire how you came this far being this ignorant.
>>
>>552819

Bears don't wear shirts though anon
>>
>>555701
Berserkers did exist but not in the capacity you think.

Think about this logically, an entire regiment of uncontrollable absolute madmen lost in fury. Do you think thats logically and logistically sound to have? A sound roman formation would dispel any such attack.

Im in my phone right now so i cant access my handy database but berserkers existed as the champion of kings. They are well fed and well respected and in return they serve as the kings bodyguard and fought his duels.
>>
>>556265
to be fair it's possible a low-ish mushroom dose could help you in battle because it heightens serotonin which can make you more alert and time dilation would be a massive aid
Obviously if you're tripping balls you'd be no good at all though
>>
File: camel cannon.jpg (54KB, 400x293px) Image search: [Google]
camel cannon.jpg
54KB, 400x293px
Camels > Elephants
>>
>>556265
>well respected

so much that they served as villains in the sagas and they were considered to be brutish and stupid they also abused the dueling system to the point of berserkgang being outlawed in Iceland thanks to them
>>
>>556386
That's what usually happens with warriors placed into a position of power. The abuse it to the point that they're looked at with ire by common folk.
>>
>>556326
just imagine the stamford bridge battle with a group of berserkers lying on the ground talking nonsense and not able to even stand
>>
>>556265

>Think about this logically, an entire regiment of uncontrollable absolute madmen lost in fury.

I don't view them as a regiment of troops, that's just silly.
>>
>>556352
The only technical to surpass Toyota
>>
>>555469
those were just ordinary warriors making last stand in full rage, that's not unheard or even uncommon in any warrior culture. some specific troop type that got super powers from their ancestral gods and went to war wearing nothing but furs and tripping balls on shrooms killing anything on sight didn't exist. that's just retarded myth.
>>
>>558469
There's more than one single instance or mention of Berserk in the sagas and chronicles to dismiss it out of hand like that. There's more than that to it. I agree that going berserk probably wasn't unique to the vikings or their culture (or even Germanic culture) but it was obviously very important in their martial society.

There is a book called simply "The Vikings" by Elle Roesdahl that goes into further details on the berserkers. I also recommend "Vikingarnas Stridskonst" by Lars Magnar Enokssen, tho I have no idea if it's been translated to other languages.
>>
>>558500
>but it was obviously very important in their martial society
or maybe it was so weird and uncommon for them that it needed pointing out? every single people, even today, has men who go frenzy rage in really stressful situations. there's nothing special in it.
>>
>>558529
This does not seem likely, considering they had a word for it = Berserkergang
>>
>>558569
so does english language. violent drunkard.
>>
>>558596

Sensible chuckle, I suppose. However, the two are not synonyms.
>>
>>558606
they are. only difference is that they're completely useless in modern, civilized world and thus treated as a social problem and criminals, not war heroes.
>>
Tanks are pretty much the coolest thing in warfare.
>>
>>554631
>>552643
>>552531
But there is nothing about berserkers that proves their existence in a considerable extent. The name means bear shirt, and AFAIK the very idea of naked dude in battle comes from misinterpreting 'bear shirt' as 'bare shirt'. There is absolutely no use in shield wall warfare for frenzied (unarmored) madmen not being able not to charge the enemy constantly. Also, when you are in an actual battle, you are already quite fucking angry without drugs. You can go berserk any time with an unaltered psyche. If impairing your senses and ability to think somewhat sensibly for a bit of added aggression and pain tolerance was a good idea other armies would have kept doing it all the time.
>inb4 ISIS synthetic drug
>>
>>558076
Same outcome desu senpai
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.