[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

for antiquity history what are some good podcasts? screw dave

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: Franks_expansion.gif (64KB, 790x505px) Image search: [Google]
Franks_expansion.gif
64KB, 790x505px
for antiquity history what are some good podcasts? screw dave carlin

also i prefer before Rome came to power
>>
>screw dave carlin
>dave carlin

This has all the markings of an excellent thread.
>>
>>548995
Try his brother, dan carlin
>>
>>549000
Indeed, Dan Carlin shills need to STFU every now and then.
>>
>>548995
>wen u playin crusader kings 2 n u forget u left on gavelkind
>>
File: thephalangite1.jpg (53KB, 450x640px) Image search: [Google]
thephalangite1.jpg
53KB, 450x640px
>>548995

Listen to The History of Rome by Mike Duncan. I can vouch for it and it is excellent. Starts from the beginning and is really interesting.
It goes all the way to 480 B.C., but the bigger the Empire and the political machinations get, the more details he has to plough through. Just to paint you a picture:

I think episode 1 - 50 cover the Republican period and 50 - 250 the Imperial period...

It stops at 480 AD, after which the History of Byzantium picks up by another creator.
>>
>>549962

480 A.D, sorry, not B.C.
>>
>>548995
Try his sister, Danielle Carlin
>>
File: Delegate_from_Norway.jpg (67KB, 500x749px) Image search: [Google]
Delegate_from_Norway.jpg
67KB, 500x749px
The Franks were basically all of relevant Europe minus England. Coincidence? I think not.
>>
>France is literally meme-Belgium instead of the other way around

Learn something new every day
>>
>>548995
Dan Carlin is pretty good.
>>
File: carlin.png (139KB, 1899x535px) Image search: [Google]
carlin.png
139KB, 1899x535px
>>548995
>carlin
>>
What was the most influential Frank city other than Paris?
>>
>>551878

>Metz served as the Austrasian capital, although some Austrasian kings ruled from Reims, Trier, and Cologne. Other important cities included Verdun, Worms and Speyer.
Soissons, Arles, Vienne...

Hell, I used to have a pic with all the Bishoprics of the Frankish realm...
>>
>>551945
Cool, so we're the Franks Germanic or Celtic it what? Do they still exist as a people?
>>
>>552028

The Franks were a Germanic tribe.
They conquered the areas shown in the former pic and OPs gif, but the pressence of "ethnic Franks" was likely more important in the areas around the Rhine.
Both France (that inherited the name) and Germany (where a certain region called Franconia exists) claim their heritage.

Today, the language more similar to the one that the Franks originally spoke is apparently Dutch.
>>
>>549962
thank you

its really comfy
>>
File: Map_Gaul_divisions_511-fr.svg.png (153KB, 577x599px) Image search: [Google]
Map_Gaul_divisions_511-fr.svg.png
153KB, 577x599px
>>551945
>>
>>548995

Theres a history of ancient Egypt podcast out there. Not my cup of tea but the knows his stuff.
>>
>>552056
Cool, this was pretty helpful. Thank you
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.