[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Were coalitions a thing in Medieval Europe?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: medieval_swords[1].jpg (25KB, 320x367px) Image search: [Google]
medieval_swords[1].jpg
25KB, 320x367px
Were coalitions a thing in Medieval Europe?
>>
Yes
t. EU4
>>
>>547615

Yes. Look at any major medieval warfare and it'll rarely be just one country against another.

Even something as insular as the Wars of the Roses saw the involvement of France, Burgundy answer Scotland.
>>
>>547615
Brief coalitions sure, nothing on the scale of 19th and 20th century alliances though.
>>
>>548636

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auld_Alliance
>>
>>547615
in my opinion they were all coalition. if a coalition is a group of gropus that fight a common enemy then every feudal system seems kinda of a coalition.
>>
>>548653
Two does not a coalition make
>>
>>547615
Whenever one got to strong the others ganged up on him.

Only Napoleonic briefly succeeded in ""uniting"" Europe through conquest. The last person to do that before him was Charlemagne nearly 1000 years before him.
>>
>>548710
There was an anti-Charlemagne coalition?
>>
>>548720
Europe was still Pagan by then and not as closely connected as in the High and Late middle ages.

Moors, Vikings, Avars, Frisians and Saxons pretty much ganged up on him without needing an Alliance.
>>
File: HZDnFvy.png (900KB, 945x909px) Image search: [Google]
HZDnFvy.png
900KB, 945x909px
Speaking of Charlemagne, l remember reading a story that he never wanted to be crowned Emperor, but the Pope basically sneaked up on him with the crown as he was praying on his knees in public.

Any truth to this?

>>548730
>Moors, Vikings, Avars, Frisians and Saxons pretty much ganged up on him without needing an Alliance.
>>
>>548766
That story was told when he was still alive I believe. It might be true or it might be false, we'll never know for sure I think.
>>
hi /gsg/
>>
>>548766
No way to know for sure, but it sounds suspiciously like a tale intended to emphasize Charlemagne's humility rather than a truthful account. After all, pride is a deadly sin in his religion. I think it's pretty unlikely he went into it without having a clue what was going on.
>>
>>548730
>Moors, Vikings, Avars, Frisians and Saxons pretty much ganged up on him without needing an Alliance.
This. Really, the vikings would have been known as peaceful traders if Charlamenge wasn't a dick and killed everything all the time. Set the standard to the degree where raping nuns and killing monks where fair game.
>>
>>547615
They were often called "crusades" and ended badly for everyone involved. Especially the Byzantines.
>>
>>549070
> Aim to take back Jerusalem to the Christians
> Ends up sacking Byzantine
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.