[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is morality objective or subjective?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 5

File: 1447538537665.jpg (309KB, 1584x1089px) Image search: [Google]
1447538537665.jpg
309KB, 1584x1089px
Is morality objective or subjective?
>>
>>547380
It's objective based on a subjective Heimatt.
>>
>>547380
Subjectively objective. Now run along.
>>
>>547380
Neither, it doesn't exist.
>>
Objective. But complex.
>>
>>547391
You mean objectively subjective
>>
>>547396
No I'm pretty sure it does exist, even if it's only subjectively Lmao. Nice reddit post though
>>
>>547416
>Nice reddit post though

If someone said that on reddit, the reddit users would respond similarly to the way you did.

People use morality to convince themselves that their beliefs are special.
>>
Purely subjective; look at other time periods and cultures like feudal Japan where what we call murder was commonplace or the middle east in any time and their behaviour
>>
>>547380
the goal is objective (you can say you don't care about morality but when you are on the receiving end you'll know).

the method is subjective (despite that we don't know how to get to the point where everything cool due to conflicting interests)

>>547446
Even there and then there was a morality (centered around Buddhism) it's just that they found "getting stronger to protect their culture" more important
>>
>>547380

Objective.

It doesn't matter if other people or cultures disagree with each other, the truth of the matter will remain unchanged.
>>
There's some evolutionary foundation I guess
>>
subjective
>>
I'd say objectively subjective.
>>
short answer: neither and both
objective and subjective are only means of disguising a greater relative whole.
Objective is more a whole to hope to get a glimpse of rather than a tangible something. Subjectivity is more something relative to the one not taking the measures. also something we like to use to pretend we're special snowflakes.
>>
>>547380
Objective to people who subscribe to an ideology or religion. Subjective to everyone else.
>>
>>547380
False dichotomy using inapplicable terms
>>
>>547380

Yes.
>>
Subjective because certain aspects of moral are still up for debate.

Objective because some values are at the very core of what we call a civilization, and know no boundaries no matter how you feel about cultural relativism.
>>
>>547645
I'd say objectively, subjective.
fixed that for you
>>
File: moon.png (208KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
moon.png
208KB, 400x400px
objective. Try proving me wrong edgekins; you absolutely can't

1.All man derives from LUCA, the last universal common ancestor
2.all our brain and neurology does as well
3.These antecedents ensure that the basis of our moral cognitive functions too are reducible to this point of origin

QED subjectivity BTFO; it's the same mirror with broken glass
>>
>all these illiterate shits thinking it's objectively subjective

It's subjectively objective faggots
>>
>>547760
>3.These antecedents ensure that the basis of our moral cognitive functions too are reducible to this point of origin
?4. It is therefore impossible for moral disagreement to take place

Oh dear.
>>
>>547776
the functions are identical even if the results on a superficial level differ

reduce them and you have a universal common morality
>>
>>547792

Gustatory functions are identical, too.

Reduce them and you have a universal common nicest flavour of ice-cream.

It's a shit argument m9. Back to the drawing board.
>>
>>547806
>they're identical
>b-b--b-ut the outcomes are not so it's not a common origin
>there is no connection between cause and effects

see what postmodernism has done
>>
>>547380
Just look at Kant for categorical imperative, morality doesn't exist. If it isn't objective it by definition can not exist, it simply becomes neitszche's "contest of wills".
>>
>>547816
>i have no response, i will now inappropriately deploy the term 'postmodernism', which i cannot define

You're doing God's work, son.
>>
Objective. Simple, is implies ought.
>>
Your search has only just begun chela, try....

"Sir William Crookes in Edinburgh lectures on Mental Science"
>>
>>547446
If enough people in a certain time or place think 2+2=5 does that make math subjective?
>>
>>547834
basic logic too much for you to bother applying, eh?
>>
>>548214

I'm still here. Any time you want to offer an actual response to >>547806, I'll be ready.
>>
>>547437
Or maybe they have beliefs. Period. Fuckwit. Not everybody needs to rationalize their convictions.
>>
>>548261
your response isn't one, thanks
>>
>>548348

Yeah, it is.

Assertions are fun!
>>
>>547380
Subjective and dependent of a higher authority, real or not, from which it is emanated and enforced at the same time.
>>
Societal morals are subjective, but Godly morals are objective.
>>
Who's the most A E S T H E T I C philosopher.
>>
>>547380
Different peoples have different moralities that are objective for them specifically.
The morality of the Chinaman can not be applied to or adapted by the Briton, or vice-versa.
>>
>>547380
If a psychosocial fabrication is considered real, than both. If not, then neither.
>>
>>547380
Morality is subjective, ethics are objective.
>>
Objective.

Read "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis.

Or watch this channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/CSLewisDoodle/videos

All of us have an innate sense of right and wrong, which is beyond instincts or societal norms.

Subjectivity is a cancerous poison, it will lead to nihilism.
>>
>>547380
Define "morality"
>>
>>550203

>All of us have an innate sense of right and wrong, which is beyond instincts or societal norms

This is demonstrably false. Not only does this sense of right and wrong differ as far as time and place goes, it often differs within an individual when he's put into extreme situations
>>
>>548175
yes
>>
>>547380
>Is morality objective or subjective?

Morality is purported to be objective by religious demagogues in particular, but the only thing that really exists is ethics, and yes it is subjective, because all ethical questions are based on emotion.
>>
>>550203
>All of us have an innate sense of right and wrong, which is beyond instincts or societal norms.

Aliens land tomorrow. They do not share our sense of right and wrong.

Were that to happen, the purported objectivity of morality (as argued for by you) would be empirically falsified.

That it is even conceivable suggests strongly that your justification is flawed.
>>
it's injective
>>
>>547380
Subjective.
Even now people in rural india marry off their children or more commonly every one in india arranges who their child marries.
They do not consider it wrong or find any fault with it.
>>
>>550203
nihilism is merely the immediate reaction to the realization that there isnt actual a santa claus in the sky who is keeping a tally of your masturbation sessions

it quickly evolves into existentialism

and if one is really ahead of the curve, it ends with absurdism

luckily for humanity in general, these two concepts have major overlap with secular humanism, and therefore are greatly beneficial to our society.

but by all means, continue repressing the memories of getting molested by your priest, christ cuck
>>
It's objective that not killing people in your society (humanity's big advantage to other species) is beneficial to survival, so that concept easily found its way into morality.
However, women are usually prime birthing age before 18, so that's a result of a subjective matter.

Our morality has roots in both concepts.
>>
>>550353
>usually prime birthing age before 18

See people say this a lot, can never find anything supporting it.
>>
>>550524

This.

In fact is can be damaging to women's health to start having kids too young.
>>
>>550159
>Morality is subjective, ethics are objective.
exactly the opposite
>>
>>547380
Subjective, as it cannot exist outside of the moralist's mind. There's no material morality existing independent of a mind. Even if there was, all we could know about it would be filtered by our subjective experiences both before and after it, and by our experience of the the material moral itself.
>>
>>550306
And some people consider the earth is flat, is that subjective too?

>>550264
Math isnt aubjective
>>
>>548175
>here let me just presuppose that morality is objective, then my analogy will demonstrate that it is objective
>>
Objective because all humans strive to the same virtue of happiness which is the objective goal of every action, and it's subjective because it's given to personal interpretation, like any other science, the one who has studied ethics and is knowledgeable about what the good is, what being good means, will know how to act according to virtue and will choose the best and most noble action, this is what it truly means to be a philosopher.
>>
>>547380
Subjectivity/objectivity depends on the criteria. Criteria may be objective or subjective.

Because the criteria may vary, morality is relative.
>>
>>547380
>Is morality objective
Yes, biologically and theologically.
>or subjective?
It's subjective, like most topics, only if one question the ValUe of morality.
>>
does morality exist tho
>>
>>550276
>they do not share our sense of right and wrong

you dont know that
>>
File: SmugAsukaPepe.jpg (226KB, 560x577px) Image search: [Google]
SmugAsukaPepe.jpg
226KB, 560x577px
>>550322
>someone is "ahead of the curve" if they follow the exact same philosophical ideology as me

wew lad

>secular humanism
*tip tip*
>>
>>552263
>And some people consider the earth is flat, is that subjective too?

yes it is
>>
>>550353
>not killing people is beneficial to survival

wtf

if i kill people then there are more resources for me to consume and more mates available to me

not killing people goes against all instincts of survival
>>
File: AbstractFeels.jpg (80KB, 604x603px) Image search: [Google]
AbstractFeels.jpg
80KB, 604x603px
>>551765
>something has to be made out of matter for it to exist

>>
>>550322
>absurdism
>ahead of the curve
>Christianity is the only religion and moral system that's ever existed

You know this is an 18+ board right?
>>
>>555670
>if i kill people then there are more resources for me to consume and more mates available to me

Well, not if you get locked up in the Bumrape Hotel with nothing but like-minded individuals of the same gender. That's pretty terrible for your reproductive prospects, all things considered.
>>
>>547380
If it isn't objective, then it isn't morality.
>>
>>547380

Morality deals with outcomes for subjects. It can't be anything but subjective.

If you say it's objective, you're only elevating one subjects desires above all others.
>>
Some is objective, some is subjective.

Some values are quite similar in Greek and Asian ethics, for example.

This is Tokugawa Ieyasu

>The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience. Patience means restraining one's inclinations. There are seven emotions: joy, anger, anxiety, love, grief, fear, and hate, and if a man does not give way to these he can be called patient. I am not as strong as I might be, but I have long known and practiced patience. And if my descendants wish to be as I am, they must study patience.

This is similar to Greek Stoic philosophy, but coming from a different angle. The stoics would say those emotions were caused by faulty judgements, but other than that, they are similar.
>>
>>547380
What is the foundation of morality ? It's always an absolute belief, which you can't demonstrate or establish from the observation of reality, but must be accepted and above all, not discussed ever...
Morality is a faith. When will humanity emancipate itself from this darkness ?
>>
Subjective, because [insert inane platitude]

But simultaneously objective, because [even more inane platitude]

Source: babbys first ethics
>>
Shouldnt we first ask:

What can possibly act as the primary principle of morality?
In other words, what actually IS morality? We through around the word like we know exactly, but are we attaching too many ideas to it that dont belong. What can be described as truely moral?

For the rest, just fucking read the Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Morals yourself.
>>
File: 1432303836346.jpg (337KB, 2474x1912px) Image search: [Google]
1432303836346.jpg
337KB, 2474x1912px
pick your morality and everyone will criticize you. Go
>>
Subjective because it doesn't exist outside of our minds.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.