[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone have examples from history when ordinary people encountered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 8

File: elephants1.jpg (44KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
elephants1.jpg
44KB, 400x300px
Does anyone have examples from history when ordinary people encountered something that would have been entirely unknown and terrifying to them (with accounts if possible). For example, I imagine an ordinary legionnaire encountering elephants at the battle of Asculum for the first time would have been fucking terrifying - they would have literally seemed like monsters.
>>
Berserkers.
I'll let you do the Google searching on that one.
>>
>>546443

The arrival of European explorers in various places
>>
slavs
>>
i once saw a syrian refugee
>>
I think Aztecs shat themselves when they saw these weird metallic man-beast hybrids with Quetzalcoatl.
>>
>>546443
Minoan eruption of Thera
>>
Chemical warfare in WWI

you are standing there believing that you'll meet the enemy, then suddenly everyone literally dies like flies.
>>
>>546950
Imagine encountering gunpowder for the first time, you'd have literally no frame of reference through which you could conceive firearms, it must have seemed like magic. I mean, even if we got invaded by a super advanced alien race, we'd still be able to conceptualise their weaponry as 'a more advanced gun'. The Aztecs wouldn't have been able to at all.
>>
>>546443
Naked fanatics - fast, brutal, and naked
Immortals - heavy infantry that just never actually dies (except in the case of the 300 and Alexander)
The Japanese - suicidal zerg rushers
The Mongols
Vikings - to warriors, they might not be all that scary but chances are if you are fucked by them you are a member of the clergy in a church which is basically the only "safe zone" at the time
Machine guns - remember those legendary pre-gunpowder age warriors that train all their lives to be the most brutal and effective warriors under the sun? well they're all dead
>>
>>546950
Horses were fucking horrifying to aztecs when they first saw them in the field. Prior to that, they only saw them trying to move on paved city streets, and though they were pathetic.

>>547248
>you'd have literally no frame of reference through which you could conceive firearms, it must have seemed like magic.
...or it just seems like what it is. An exceptionally advanced ranged weapon. They absolutely had a frame of reference for them

>>547286
>Naked fanatics - fast, brutal, and naked
>unknown
No.
>brutal
Not anymore than the other celts were.
>terrifying
Maybe BEFORE they got showered with javelins.

>Immortals - heavy infantry that just never actually dies (except in the case of the 300 and Alexander)
Could you please not post on this board?
We're not on /k/. Read for a bit, then come back.
Let me tear this apart and call you a faggot.
>heavy
They may or may not have had scale vests. There's currently no evidence for ANY persian on foot wearing a helmet.
>never dies
No, fuckfuce. The name refers to the fact that after the battle, more men would INSTANTLY be put back in the ranks to bring the unit up to strength.
If you didn't have any Persian-speakers in your army, you'd never know their name, and certainly wouldn't think to call them immortals. They'd just be very brave spearmen, and their perceived quality and quality of arms would vary depending on how your own people fought.

The greeks in particular found them to be brave and skilled, but armed so poorly that they may as well have no fought at all.

>Machine guns - remember those legendary pre-gunpowder age warriors that train all their lives to be the most brutal and effective warriors under the sun? well they're all dead
Men of that stripe literally never encountered machine guns.
>>
>>549862
I'd disagree with you on the Aztecs having a frame of reference for firearms. There's lots of historical records of those encountering firearms for the first time panicking and thinking they were 'magic'

>The Russians won the victory thanks to their use of firearms unknown to the Tatars, who thought the firearms were some kind of magic and fled.

>"The Iroquois were much astonished that two men should have been killed so quickly, although they were provided with shields made of cotton thread woven together and wood, which were proof against their arrows. This frightened them greatly. As I was reloading my arquebus, one of my companions fired a shot from within the woods, which as-tonished them again so much that, seeing their chiefs dead, they lost courage and took to flight"

I'm sure the mystery and terror around them wore off with increased exposure, but this thread is about ordinary people encountering things for the first time.
>>
>>549862
>Men of that stripe literally never encountered machine guns.
gatling was already present at zulu war even if it's not a "real" machine gun
>>
>>546443
there are some recordings of this white guy going to a black tribe and them being scared shitless of this white man suddenly appearing.
>>546894
people wearing bearskins?
>>
>>549862
A bow is nothing like a firearm. A bow converts the force you clearly put into it. They have no frame of reference to some chemical reaction suddenly causing fire and death.
>>
When the mongols faced war elephants for the first time in India. The horses were panicked so the Mongols simply got off their horses and rained arrows on the war elephants until they run amok their own army. Fucking mongols, slanty eyed fuckers always found a way. They were probably scared as fuck, but still managed to defeat a much larger army with war elephants... on foot.
>>
>>547248
why do you think that alien weapons are just "advanced guns"? maybe they have some devices that make your whole body mass simply disappear? or telekinetically turn you gay?
>>
File: 1444070838732.gif (479KB, 434x444px) Image search: [Google]
1444070838732.gif
479KB, 434x444px
>>550481
>always found away
The mongols thrived because there were noone else worth a damn during their time. Rome in their prime would have slaughtered those fuckers, stop glorifying them. Woah, damn, they beat some barbarians that managed to tame a huge animal, goddamn.
>>
Plinius Jr. describing eruption of Vesuvius
>>
>>547248
didn't they have bows and arrows?
>>
>>550487
Rome doesn't even have such a good record against mounted archers. The parthian shot fucked them up good in Carrhae... one of their most crushing defeats.

The mongols got it easily.
>>
>>550470
what makes you think they would follow that thought pattern?
>>
>>549862
>Horses were fucking horrifying to aztecs when they first saw them in the field. Prior to that, they only saw them trying to move on paved city streets, and though they were pathetic.

yeah horses arent that scary
untill theres 40 of them trying to run you down
>>
The Guanches of the Canary Islands meeting the first Spanish (or even Roman and Carthaginian) expeditions.
>>
>>550526
I didn't say anything about a thought pattern, it's a fact that they function on completely different principles, the bow functions on a principle that is intuitive, that we use by instinct from when we are babies, the other completely alien and something we didn't originally have a frame of reference for. It was another anon that argued that would freak them out, I'm just saying that it's totally valid to call it alien, cause it definitely was.
>>
>>550515
Any great, organized (white, civilized) empire would crush them.
Rome might suffer a defeat from an unfavorable match-up, but they'd adapt and beat them.
>>
>>550542
>>550487

>he actually belives this

you just mad because a bunch of horse nomads made a empire bigger then romes
>>
>>550559
But I'm not latin.
I'm just mad that people always go "woah, huns, greatest ever!" when they were really just the only real player in the game of imperialism at the time.
>>
>>550563
>woah, huns, greatest ever
i tought we where talking about mongols tho

no one said greatest ever, anon if you cant accept that the mongols where one of the greats then tough shit
and the huns did fuck over rome (not single handedly but they played a big part)
>>
>>550403

>the Tatars, who thought the firearms were some kind of magic and fled.

To be fair, this is probably conjecture on the part of whoever they wrote that. The Tatars might have just simply routed in the face of superior weaponry without needing to rationalise it as "magic".
>>
>>550584
I'm pretty tired, yeah, mongols.
And huns fucked up a dead body, rome was long gone at that point.
>>
>>550587
But the Romans essentially defeated the Huns by destroying their aura of invincibility at Chalons.
>>
>>550591

How did that work out for them?
>>
>>550587
alot of the displaced people who fucked over rome was displaced by the huns so...
goths, slavs etc
>>
>>546443

North Africans who fought with the French army on the Western Front would have had a pretty incomprehensible time of it.
>>
>>546919
*immigrant
>>
>>546443

Cologne, 31st dec 2015.
>>
>>550559
Nigger, if you call what the Mongols did an "empire", you're fucking retarded.
>>
>>550646
wasn't 01/01/16?
>>
>>546443
The soldiers in the early days of WWI who marched in columns against machine guns and modern artillery
>>
>>550515
>horse archers, not cataphracts and Crassus' incompetence won Carrhae
>Rome didn't quickly adapt to fighting mounted skirmishers
shiggy
>>
File: it keeps happening.gif (407KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
it keeps happening.gif
407KB, 400x400px
>>546443

That one guy who was at both Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
>>
>>550691
That's the thing about romans. Because the armies were almost always delegated to nobles and patricians, it's a crapshoot whether they had any military talent.
I can't remember the names, but when the republic was being invaded by a shit ton of Germans, the first two consuls got fucking rekted into oblivion, but when gaius marius campaigned against them the germans didn't even give him a real fight.
>>
>>550702

This was the problem with Rome, and indeed most pre-early-modern states - rich influential fuckers did everything, usually badly. The very concept of professionalism didn't exist.
>>
File: Yang_Kyoungjong.jpg (3MB, 2480x3036px) Image search: [Google]
Yang_Kyoungjong.jpg
3MB, 2480x3036px
>>550694
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yang_Kyoungjong

>Korean who was conscripted by the Japs
>captured by the Russians in the Battles of Khalkhin Gol.
>was then conscripted and fought against the Krauts.
>who in-turn captured him and he was conscripted again and sent to Normandy
>where he was captured on D-day to the bemusement of Allied soldiers

>captured a
>>
>>550694
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsutomu_Yamaguchi
>>
>>546443
Claudius brought African elephants to Britain around 100AD. Cattle at that time was quite small so the largest mammal the celts would have seen is an Irish Elk. Had an impact because elephants remained in Medieval literature and iconography in Britain for some time.
>>
>>550728
The most astonishing fact is that this guy managed to survive through all those deadly battlefields .
>>
>>550486
The homosex ray the most powerful weapon in the alien arsenal.
>turn everyone super homosex
>no children
>wait 80+- years
>colonize planet now devoid of humans.
>>
>>550542
Do you think the whiteness of the soldiers' skin would obfuscate the mongols or something?
>>
>>550766
>Claudius brought African elephants to Britain around 100AD.

Good trick for a man almost fifty years dead.
>>
>>547234
Yeah that gas was totally invisible right
>>
>>550640
*rapist
>>
>>547234
> then suddenly everyone literally dies like flies
You don't know how gas actually works, right?
>>
>>550978
An account I read said the first time out was used it looked like fog rolling in. Spooky af.
>>
>>550559
> Bigger

Yet primarily consisting of hundreds and hundreds of miles of empty desolate nothing.
>>
>>550939
I think he's just badly referencing traditional European military competency.
>>
There must have been a few occasions when ordinary people during WWI got freaked the fuck out by soldiers in gas masks. Maybe not quite no frame of reference freaked, but they look kind of scary even now.
>>
File: AAg1K.jpg (92KB, 900x582px) Image search: [Google]
AAg1K.jpg
92KB, 900x582px
>>551490
Pic somewhat related.
>>
>>552031
The exact picture I was thinking of.
>>
>>550466
>Dr. Livingstone, I presume.
Dude got lost on an expedition. Was presumed dead. Blacks found him and thought he was a funny looking animal of some sort. Kept him in a cage until another white guy found him.
>>
Mongol invasion of Poland and Hungary, and Russia before that
>>
>>550876
>implying they wouldn't come down and party on fag world, and love it so much they allow babies to be born from our butts
We've always had the ability but when they first planted the seeds of our genes they kept our true butt birth potential locked down and hidden away.
>>
>>550481
mongols probably knew of the elephants due to huns invading the same areas over 600 years before them
>>
>>546894
none of the people vikings raided even mentioned any berserkers and trust me something like that would catch attention Celts for example were noted for fighting in frienzed state hell even wearing bearskins alone would be mentioned but no it wasn't

berserkers didn't exist kid
>>
>>550983

...no
>>
>>547248
This is bait, right?
>>
Are there any diaries of Australian colonizers? I wonder how would they describe the animals and insects living there
>>
>>552556
They though platypus were a hoax for ages, when descriptions and specimens were sent back to Europe. someone stitching different animal parts together was their explanation.
>>
>>552556
>Are there any diaries of Australian colonizers? I wonder how would they describe the animals and insects living there

L. A. Gilbert, 'Banks, Sir Joseph (1743–1820)', Australian Dictionary of Biography, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/banks-sir-joseph-1737/text1917, published first in hardcopy 1966, accessed online 14 January 2016.
This article was first published in hardcopy in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 1, (MUP), 1966

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/banks-sir-joseph-1737
>>
>>546894
My love for you is like a truck.
>>
>>547286
>immortals
>heavy infantry
>>
when Lindsfarne was raided by vikings

I'm surprised they left any survivors
>>
>>550876
There's actually a movie about this.
>>
>>552134
>600 years before them
They probably knew about them because they tended to snatch anyone who looked like they knew something and learned as much as they could from them.
>>
>>550651
>took land
>had a hierarchical bureaucracy to rule over conquered territory
>imposed a system of laws and taxes to administer over conquered territory
>not an empire
>>
>>553119
Gay Niggers From Outer Space is a great movie, if a bit short.

Though you forgot that they teach men how to have arsebabies.
>>
>>552031
are you my mummy?
>>
>>550663
Machine guns and "modern" artillery had been used before that. The commanders that did that shit knew full well what the effect would be, but they just wanted their victory for personal prestige.
>>
File: 69c11fa1dd9f8746d85efcfe3805ce09.jpg (135KB, 736x1045px) Image search: [Google]
69c11fa1dd9f8746d85efcfe3805ce09.jpg
135KB, 736x1045px
>>550487
>muh rome

Istanbul true Rum, faggot
>>
>>550435
and Zulu aren''t even close to what he described for the other side. They were a citizen militia of moderate quality.
>>
>>551039

Why didn't your nation conquer all the steppes and china then?
>>
>>551039

Rome fought against barbarians who wore pants, when they started fighting real enemies like the sassanids their empire started crumbling.
>>
>>547286

AoE II pls go
>>
>>555495
nice meme
>>
>>550646

#NotAllRefugees
>>
>>555500

>meme

Rome literally coulnd't win against the sassanids.
>>
>>555495
>Rome fought against barbarians who wore pants
You think its so easy to walk into a huge forest, find barbarian encampment, kill their vicious warriors and rape their women?
Even fucking britons had trouble vs niggers. And they had guns.
>>
>>555528

Walking into a forest with a professionaly trained army that wears much better equipment then it's barbarian counterparts to beat those said barbarians is totally difficult guys!

Battle of Teutoburg Forest: Never Forget!
>>
>>555548

And they did not, thats why they returned shortly after that and beat them.
>>
>>555557

They didn't beat all of germania.

And those german "refugees" recked them later.
>>
>>555563

And? You were talking about Teutoburg.
>>
>>550876

>What is artificial insemination
>>
File: 1452198576802.jpg (20KB, 275x213px) Image search: [Google]
1452198576802.jpg
20KB, 275x213px
>>550612
>slavs
or nah
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.